LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
I've asked the question of friends and relatives in the Faroes. We used to get a decent signal on the old footprint on a 1.2m dish but the new one is not looking good.

Edit: Worth watching on Sky? Plenty of things and some of them only on Sky. Boardwalk Empire and The Borgias, Game of Thrones, Bones, House. Not that I watch them all but plenty on there if you want a couple of hours over a drink in the evening. Doesn't please everyone but Sky's success suggests it pleases most.

Last edited:

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
On a planet...far, ....far away.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
And what exactly is there on Sky worth watching?

Not a lot me thinks.

Have to say that I am surprised that Sky couldn't/wouldn't find a way of keeping ITV in Europe, because that would give them income, after all (as you say) what do they have worth watching if you take both BBC and ITV from the list!!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Emmenay

Free Member
Dec 11, 2011
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-tiki 600
Exp
Since 2011
This thread happens to be quite important to some folk right now, me included, would those that are not interested please refrain from trying to change its course to a 'why would you thread'! Thanks. :thumb:

mariner

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2013
Isle of Dogs, but mostly Artola Spain.
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Since 2007. But no more.
If the BBC ITV etc make themselves unavailable to most of Europe then they will be handing over what could be a valuable revenue stream to local entrepreneurs, in the countries affected.

All they had to do was to go subscription only.

Paco, Stellios and Francoise etc. will have found a way to get all the missing channels and sell them to all the ex pats. so BBC, ITV, etc will get none of the money.

:Cool:

ronita

Free Member
Jan 1, 2014
Leeds
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache
Exp
since 2007
No BBC here in torre de marr near malaga

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
If the BBC ITV etc make themselves unavailable to most of Europe then they will be handing over what could be a valuable revenue stream to local entrepreneurs, in the countries affected.

All they had to do was to go subscription only.

Paco, Stellios and Francoise etc. will have found a way to get all the missing channels and sell them to all the ex pats. so BBC, ITV, etc will get none of the money.

At the risk of getting another broadside from Mr Grumpy I suspect there are two reasons for the changes. Firstly the BBC makes a lot of money selling programmes into Europe and they may feel showing them for free, albeit in English harms these sales. Secondly it is not impossible other national broadcast companies have complained of the competition from a state subsidised broadcaster. There are no doubt technical issues but I would be surprised if some of the above did not apply.

And I am interested in what people are reporting here, having an expensive satellite system in my van which isn't going to get a lot of use now if I go south. Good grief, I may have to learn to have a conversation with my wife!

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Rotherham South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
BBC programs have disappeared in La Manga as well.

One point to note is that yesterday we were working on 12.207 frequency and could not get anything on the default 11.778.The Sky HD box took a long time to turn on this morning - we thought it had developed a fault - when it eventually came on, after unplugging at the mains etc, it was on the default frequency and would not find anything on the 12207!

I think a few people will be choosing to invest in computer telly if they need to watch BBC etc.

Ginny

Satandpcguy

Funster
Jun 18, 2008
Gandia, Valencia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
None
BBC programs have disappeared in La Manga as well.

One point to note is that yesterday we were working on 12.207 frequency and could not get anything on the default 11.778.The Sky HD box took a long time to turn on this morning - we thought it had developed a fault - when it eventually came on, after unplugging at the mains etc, it was on the default frequency and would not find anything on the 12207!

Since the changes earlier on this week, 11778 has moved from the "tricky" north beam, to the European beam.
o 11778 is a lot easier to receive than before.
So you may no longer have to change the default frequency to help the box boot up.
And it means the sky guide should be available all day.

12207 is still on an easy to receive beam...I think it moved from the 2a south beam to 2Es European beam...maybe in that area the 2E European beam is not as strong as the 2a south beam

mariner

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2013
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Since 2007. But no more.
At the risk of getting another broadside from Mr Grumpy I suspect there are two reasons for the changes. Firstly the BBC makes a lot of money selling programmes into Europe and they may feel showing them for free, albeit in English harms these sales. Secondly it is not impossible other national broadcast companies have complained of the competition from a state subsidised broadcaster. There are no doubt technical issues but I would be surprised if some of the above did not apply.

And I am interested in what people are reporting here, having an expensive satellite system in my van which isn't going to get a lot of use now if I go south. Good grief, I may have to learn to have a conversation with my wife!

Whilst some of what you say may be true, no other European broadcaster that I know of, has reduced their footprint size to deny their own ex pats their own national TV.
So the Scandinavians , Germans, French, Italian, Arabs, etc., etc., can receive their FTA channels anywhere in Europe.
IMHO UK ex pats will pay to get their TV back but, none of this money will go to the companies that produce the programmes, it will go into the pockets of local companies and (if they pay tax) into the coffers of the relevant countries.
So ex pats will probably stop subscribing to SKY and give that money to local companies.
I for one will cancel my TV license while I'm away and restart only when and for the period that I'm in the UK. I hope that all those that go abroad for the winter will do the same.

Satandpcguy

Funster
Jun 18, 2008
Gandia, Valencia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
None
Whilst some of what you say may be true, no other European broadcaster that I know of, has reduced their footprint size to deny their own ex pats their own national TV.
So the Scandinavians , Germans, French, Italian, Arabs, etc., etc., can receive their FTA channels anywhere in Europe.
IMHO UK ex pats will pay to get their TV back but, none of this money will go to the companies that produce the programmes, it will go into the pockets of local companies and (if they pay tax) into the coffers of the relevant countries.
So ex pats will probably stop subscribing to SKY and give that money to local companies.
I for one will cancel my TV license while I'm away and restart only when and for the period that I'm in the UK. I hope that all those that go abroad for the winter will do the same.

But most of the other European countries (apart from Germany) are not FTA but have all their channels encrypted and only available with a viewing card issued to that countries address.

French are encrypted - you need TNTSAT or canalsat
Spain - canal+ subscription
Scandinavian - subscription
Portugal - subscription
And some of the Italian FTA channels go encrypted at certain times!

Nov 14, 2009
normandy
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
16 years
whats happened to british eurosport 2 , i need that to watch the snooker! seems to have disappeared with the bbc's:Sad:

mariner

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2013
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Since 2007. But no more.
But most of the other European countries (apart from Germany) are not FTA but have all their channels encrypted and only available with a viewing card issued to that countries address.

French are encrypted - you need TNTSAT or canalsat
Spain - canal+ subscription
Scandinavian - subscription
Portugal - subscription
And some of the Italian FTA channels go encrypted at certain times!

The point still remains, as to why could the BBC etc., not employ a similar system and at least get some revenue.
Both you and I know, that all the missing channels will be made available, at a cost, to ex pats but the BBC etc will get none of it.

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
The point still remains, as to why could the BBC etc., not employ a similar system and at least get some revenue.
Both you and I know, that all the missing channels will be made available, at a cost, to ex pats but the BBC etc will get none of it.

I suspect that is the plan, but maybe through Sky for example??

Satandpcguy

Funster
Jun 18, 2008
Gandia, Valencia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
None
whats happened to british eurosport 2 , i need that to watch the snooker! seems to have disappeared with the bbc's:Sad:

No it moved a few days earlier - from its temporary European home, to its new temporary home on 2a north beam... so harder to receive than before

And nothing to do with the BBC changes this morning

Satandpcguy

Funster
Jun 18, 2008
Gandia, Valencia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
None

Because their charter (I think) says they need to be platform neutral, be free to air to all, not reply on a third party for encryption, and not have to pay twice (uk tv tax and then a subscription card) for the channels.

The BBC, via BBC Worldwide, does get revenue from expats - by selling their programmes to other eu broadcasters, and on their own channels BBC Entertainment, and via the Sky subscription thru UKTV (eg Gold and Dave)

Satandpcguy

Funster
Jun 18, 2008
Gandia, Valencia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
None
I suspect that is the plan, but maybe through Sky for example??

Why would the BBCs want to pay to have their channels on Sky, when the get the same coverage and intended audience without paying to be on Sky?

And if the BBC were to become "Europe wide" then perhaps that extra revenue may not be enough to pay for the European rights for its content.

It is more involved than what you may think...

Last edited:

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
I used my TV and Sat for BBC Radio 4, now I will have to rely on internet radio and if I remember correctly Radio 4 on the internet is not restricted so I do not have to worry about VPN. Rather than using the laptop as a radio I think there are boxes that stream from the wireless router that I have in my coach, anyone have any recommendations, or is there a way to stream into my AV.

Satandpcguy

Funster
Jun 18, 2008
Gandia, Valencia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
None
Is it your understanding that they will remain on both?

Well BBCs are on the UK beam, and the encrypted RTES are also.
In the past some sky active and Disney and nickelodeon channels have been.
It all depends what beam the channel operators wants to be on...

If I were sky -I would put the SD sky channels on the hard to receive UK beam, and the more expensive HD channels on the European beam - make more money by forcing people to upgrade to their HD package! But they are not that ruthless are they... ;-)

Last edited:

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Not had a chance to check them all yet, :winky: as Jane is watching it. :roflmto:

But here in Javea 1 meter dish lost BBC except BBC 1 and BBC 2 NI...................to be sure. ::bigsmile:

Still have most other stuff we watch, and the most important channel 5 so she has Neighbours. :whatthe::Doh: Bob.

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
The expected ITV and Channel Four move to Astra 2E didn't happen last night.
It's likely to take place early next week. SES Astra don't normally make changes at weekends.
Positioning data for the current satellite, Astra 1N, indicates it will close and start moving by Wednesday.

Satandpcguy

Funster
Jun 18, 2008
Gandia, Valencia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
None
The expected ITV and Channel Four move to Astra 2E didn't happen last night.
It's likely to take place early next week. SES Astra don't normally make changes at weekends.
Positioning data for the current satellite, Astra 1N, indicates it will close and start moving by Wednesday.

The email I got from ITV said Tuesday.

No idea where all this "last night" stuff came from!

beachcaster

Free Member
Dec 18, 2010
east sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
a few years
Unless you are using the Internet, in which case you pick up Nuffing. :ROFLMAO:

Is that because your ip address is seen as being outside the uk.
I used to get this with BBC iPlayer in Europe which told me the service was not available outside the uk.
I started using a VPN service which was about £60 a year and very easy to set up...I can now choose where I "want to be" around the world.
So you can say you are in the uk when you are in spain and still get
iPlayer .

barry

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
Update

Taken from another site: (http://skyinmadrid.com/pages/news.html)

FIRST RECEPTION REPORTS
British people living abroad have been affected by the changes, but that all nationalities in all parts of Europe are genuinely dismayed by the loss of the BBC.
GERMANY
BBC channels have disappeared from the north around Hanover through Munich and to the Austrian border. Previously, 60 to 90cm dishes were enough. Dishes of around 120cm may be needed. This is guesswork, no-one needed dishes this big before.
POLAND
A 1.0m dish has lost BBC near the German border, 100km east from Berlin.
ITALY
No BBC for most in the centre and south. 1.5m is OK in Verona, 1.25m in Milan. Between this area and Rome, 1.8 to 2.5 metres. Further south, in Potenza, Basilicata (well south of Rome), a monster 3.4 metre Prodelin dish is receiving the the UK Spot beam.
FRANCE
Large scale losses from the southernmost quarter of the country. Typically dishes have been 80-90cm in the past. In some areas, a re-tune and a better LNB will get the signals back, but with little rain margin. A 120cm. may be needed. Near the border with Catalunya, the signal is worse. There is a report of a well-tuned 90 cm retaining the BBC between Cannes and Nice, but many reports of BBC loss in the region, roughly in a line drawn eastwards and westwards north of Toulouse.
GREECE
Complete loss of BBC in all reports.
NORTH AFRICA
Tunisia and Tangiers, loss of BBC on 2 metre dishes. Perhaps surprisingly, the BBC was easy to receive in N. Africa.
SWEDEN
Losses on 1.2m dishes. 1.5 to 1.8m may be needed in most parts of the country.
NORWAY
Dishes of 90cm used to be OK in the south, but not now. Upgrades to 120cm may be needed.
CANARIES
Dishes of 2.4 to 3.2 now necessary. A good quality, and expensive, 2.4m ChannelMaster type is needed with a top quality LNB. Reports of BBC loss on 3.2m dishes in Tenerife.
PORTUGAL
From the centre of the country southwards, little or no signal is being received on dishes of 3 metres. In Coimbra, a 1.5m will give a just-about adequate signal with no rain margin. In Villa Real, in the north, 1.8m works OK. The Algarve is a BBC disaster zone. Nothing on any size dish, even 3 metres and up.
SPAIN
The lower third of the country has lost all BBC. Dishes of 3 metres are receiving no signal in Costa Del Sol. Most dishes in the Málaga region are 1.2m (1.3m vertically) which will just get the Europe beam used by Sky's pay channels. However, no BBC, ITV, Channel Four and associated channels will be received, even with a Sky subscription. The only ITV channels which can be received are ITV 2,3,4 in HD as part of the Sky HD pack.
The cut off point seems to be around Mojájar. To the north, some dishes are still working. To the south, there are no reports of any dish of any size still receiving the BBC. In Quesada, 1.8m is OK, as is a 1.9m in Alicante. In Benidorm, 1.2m is OK. Mazarrón seems to be OK with 1.8m. A 2.4m in this region gives good rain margin.
In Asturias, Cantabria and the Basque country, many dishes have stopped working. 1.2m to 1.5m may now be needed. In León, a 1.5 receives nothing, as does an 80cm in Vitoria-Gasteiz. In the Balearics, many dishes are still working.
Barcelona and Catalunya are now in a dead spot, with no measureable signal. Previously, 80-90cm dishes were used. The signal starts to appear again south of Tarragona, and north of the French border, but nothing in between.
More reports to follow.
In all cases, well-installed dishes with high quality components have fared better. Many installations are not up to standard, or have been affected by strong winds, rain, or extreme sunlight. In some cases, a re-tune will help, or a better LNB. (more to follow on this subject)

ITV AND CHANNEL FOUR SWITCH LIKELY MONDAY NIGHT
The ITV One and Channel Four group of channels are expected to move to Astra 2E in the early hours of Tuesday morning, 11th. February.
-------------------------------------------------------------

I think when we return to home at end of the month I will remove the Mobilesat system from our MH and start using the IPTV system, bye bye satellite TV.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back