Nationwide Flex plus breakdown cover (1 Viewer)

Apr 24, 2019
Solihull
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
I've got this bank account£13 a month.
Had anyone used this abroad for breakdown?
What was service like etc.
Would I be safer buying additional cover with insurance (Comfort) rather than relying on this?
I have a Globecar PVC.
Thank you

Apr 12, 2011
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
Burstner ixeo t 590
Exp
4yrs
I’m sure Roncab has used it abroad and was happy with the service

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Slimalex
Apr 24, 2019
Solihull
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Thank you.
Is it a recovery in the event of breakdown and accident along with repatriation?

Clickem

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
7 years
I have used it twice abroad, but not needed any recovery. In both cases attendance was swift and effective - cannot fault it

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
The first time it was used, the service from the actual Breakdown service was good but the garage tried to get us to leave the 'van when we wanted to get it home. (Beware if your breakdown is anywhere near Ottery St. Mary, Devon)
When I told the Breakdown Co. they were full of apologies and Prostate Cancer UK benefited with a juicy cheque.

The second time we had to battle the service because the Co' s operator tried to tell me that motorhomes were specifically excluded from the scheme. Pointing her in the direction of one of her managers sorted that out.

Apr 22, 2013
Cotswolds
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 625
Exp
Since 2011
Used it near Pau France when to change a wheel when we had a puncture. Brilliant service, rang the Swindon number, when they established we were members they transferred to their "European Service" in Paris. Told them exactly where we were and they promised some would be with us in 45 minutes. The guy was with us in less that 30 minutes and did the job.

When I was on the line to Swindon, I said "I'm in France" No problem was the reply, when I said "we're in a motorhome" No problem was the reply. Interesting they didn't ask for any bank account details just my personal details and the answer to a couple of security questions to check I was a member.

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Thank you.
Is it a recovery in the event of breakdown and accident along with repatriation?
It doesn't mention repatriation

Breakdown and recovery assistance with FlexPlus | Nationwide

In the T&C's (pages 6 & 7) it says repatriation of you and any passengers but doesn't mention the vehicle.....

CORRECTION EDIT: As others have said below, it does provide vehicle repatriation.

Last edited:

Gixer

Free Member
Dec 16, 2018
South Wales
Funster No
MH
2018 Chausson EB
Exp
None
Used it in UK for my motorbike a couple of times [puntures] - both times the bike was brought home, no issues, well worth it.

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004

In the T&C's is says repatriation of you and any passengers but doesn't mention the vehicle.....
That normally boils down to when your return trip is we had 3 months left new engine from fiat took 7 weeks the flew us back home but we had to arrange it but would only pay for 1 to collect van ie driver

John Barrett

Free Member
Jan 19, 2020
Hamble, Southampton.
Funster No
MH
One Eyed in Hamble!
Exp
Since 2012
It helps to read ALL of the Ts & Cs...
If your vehicle cannot be driven because of a breakdown during your trip and could not be repaired in time for your return journey to the UK, we will: • Pay any extra costs of transporting you, up to 7 passengers and luggage back to the UK; and • Pay the cost of transporting your vehicle to your home address in the UK as long as these costs are not higher than the market value of your vehicle; or • Pay up to £500 for someone you choose to travel to the place of repair to drive your vehicle back to your home address in the UK

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138

In the T&C's (pages 6 & 7) it says repatriation of you and any passengers but doesn't mention the vehicle.....
Yes it does but not in the normal section, under 'what is not covered' it says:

Page 11 - Section D3 – Roadside assistance and local recovery
Roadside assistance and local recovery in Europe

We will not pay for any of the following:
Your vehicle’s repatriation if the costs will exceed its UK market value

Therefore they DO repatriate but only if it's worth more than the cost of bringing it back!

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Would I be safer buying additional cover with insurance (Comfort) rather than relying on this?
I have a Globecar PVC.
Thank you
If you have a new(ish) Globecar then you'll likely have Fiat Assist with it for up to 3 years.

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Yes it does but not in the normal section, under 'what is not covered' it says:

Page 11 - Section D3 – Roadside assistance and local recovery
Roadside assistance and local recovery in Europe

We will not pay for any of the following:
Your vehicle’s repatriation if the costs will exceed its UK market value

Therefore they DO repatriate but only if it's worth more than the cost of bringing it back!
Ah, I didn't expect to see what was covered in the 'What's not covered' section.

Thanks also to John Barrett for finding it too.

(You wouldn't want me as your solicitor).

Feb 19, 2017
Leighton Buzzard
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Ten years
I have a Globecar PVC.
Thank you
We recently renewed with Comfort, from memory to add UK and European breakdown cover to our policy was approximately £60-70 so about half of the Nationwide cost.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
We recently renewed with Comfort, from memory to add UK and European breakdown cover to our policy was approximately £60-70 so about half of the Nationwide cost.
That would be for one vehicle. The Nationwide cover is for any vehicle you are in. I have 4 plus 2 motorbikes, so a cheap option for me.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
As Snowbird mentioned this is for all your vehicles plus you get other benefits such as holiday insurance and mobile phone insurance.

John Barrett

Free Member
Jan 19, 2020
Hamble, Southampton.
Funster No
MH
One Eyed in Hamble!
Exp
Since 2012
Our motorhome was insured with LV for European cover. £140 pa just for the one vehicle. I switched my account to NW last year and the cover is still with LV, but all our vehicles are covered, plus travel/health insurance. LV issued a refund for the unexpired period too! At £13/month there is no contest!

OP
OP
Slimalex
Apr 24, 2019
Solihull
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Thank you very much for all your responses.
I've used the travel insurance and they were excellent.

Feb 19, 2017
Leighton Buzzard
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Ten years
That would be for one vehicle. The Nationwide cover is for any vehicle you are in. I have 4 plus 2 motorbikes, so a cheap option for me.
Yes I realise that Dave, we were with Adac who offer similar cover until 1/1/21 when they withdrew cover. My bikes and car are covered separately as part of a traders policy, but they won’t cover motorhomes.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
If all you want is a stand alone policy then that's obviously cheaper but if you want travel insurance too then it's worth looking at the NW account - I haven't looked in any great detail as we haven't needed breakdown previously but will for the car this year and don't currently have any travel insurance, therefore I'll be looking at NW to see if it meets our needs with good cover etc for a reasonable price.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
The travel insurance alone is worth it in my case. I would have great difficulty getting travel insurance anywhere else now.
Same here,,Claimed once and they paid up very quickly. BUSBY.

Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Eight Years and 28,000 Miles.
Other benefits are no transacton fees using your debit or credit card when buying or drawing cash, and mobile phone insurance.

We changed to 'Flexplus' early last year mainly because the breakdown cover was cheaper for four vehicles including a motorbike.. of course since then we've hardly been anywhere.. :(

Jul 11, 2009
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Concorde Compact
Exp
Since I was 18.... 1996....
Just used my Nationwide breakdown this morning.
For my car - a front spring snapped while it was parked over weekend !

Ive used it twice now in last 6 months both time I haven’t waited more than 40 minute. But both faults have been tow home.
First a puncture on Two tyres at same time , second today.

A495A208-A5FD-45CA-8C4B-088E8A3AEB0A.jpeg

Apr 21, 2015
Blackpool
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1985
How long can you travel in Europe for with Nationwide flex plus European breakdown cover.I Cannot find anything about duration of cover when traveling abroad.I don’t have the booklet so cannot read the terms and conditions

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back