Motorhomes v Caravans (1 Viewer)

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I tow a trailer with our only car (a Smart car) on it. We spend time drifting between over-night or 2/3 day stops and don't need the car so don't take it. On many occasions though we combine a couple of weeks touring with two or three weeks on a couple of different sites with tugger friends so then we do take the car. It costs little or nothing because the car would otherwise be parked on our drive. I have never found it to be an inconvenience on a site and have never been asked to park it or the trailer remote from our pitch. As for 'you may as well have a caravan' there is no comparison between towing a lightweight trailer behind a heavy (and large) motorhome and towing a caravan with the same habitation facilities behind a car. Pitching alone is so much easier with a motorhome never mind trying to find a sensible sized caravan with a 5 day water and waste facility and a full-size shower. I moved up through tents, caravans, and then to motorhomes. I have no desire to reverse the trend.

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
That's why I rarely would ever even consider using sites. Bit like having a house with neighbourso_O

Remids me of my mate here complaining about a couple who rent his apartment every year for 4 weeks & rarely move from the pool except to go shopping. :giggle:Never go anywhere else.
I guess they might think that they have paid for it so want the most use out of it, and the owner is thinking they are using more electric and water etc and he is not earning as much out of them.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
As others have said its a personal choice, however if your motorhoming soley in the UK I can perhaps see the benefit of a Toad, otherwise you could stuck on a site for days on end without another means of transport. The UK really is not geared up for Motorhomes. That's why as soon as its safe to do so we off across the water.
You wrote our exact thoughts.

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
Since we downsized we go out and about in our MH. There’s a lot to be said for something a bit smaller.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Just a quick (and maybe stupid) question .......

With a car plus caravan combo when you need the loo can you just nip back and use the one in the caravan or would the caravan tilt - does a caravan have a cassette loo as motorhomes do?

In the MH we can just pull into a layby or similar and use the loo - one of the great benefits of the motorhome.

Eggs

Free Member
Jan 3, 2018
Suffolk
Funster No
Just a quick (and maybe stupid) question .......

With a car plus caravan combo when you need the loo can you just nip back and use the one in the caravan or would the caravan tilt - does a caravan have a cassette loo as motorhomes do?

In the MH we can just pull into a layby or similar and use the loo - one of the great benefits of the motorhome.
With the Caravan hitched to the tow vehicle it would be fine to use the loo, yes caravans have cassette toilets.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
With the Caravan hitched to the tow vehicle it would be fine to use the loo, yes caravans have cassette toilets.

Just have to hope it's not raining when you need to pay a visit then!

Nov 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Challenger 287GA
Exp
Since 2020
To go back to your original post The Welsh Wizard , where do you draw the line as to what is over the top and what is acceptable? Personally, I find some of the stuff that many people take with them or install onto their van to be baffling. A full satellite television system? Why do you want to stay in your van watching Emmerdale or whatever on earth you need a satellite receiver for? A full on outdoor kitchen setup? What's wrong with a simple portable bbq? Automatic, hydraulic levelling systems? Can't you just use some ramps? (Ok, that last one might be a little bit of envy creeping through!!)
Then again, how does someone else carrying, using or installing this on or in their van affect me? It doesn't. If I want to stay on a site (shudder) and it was full of mini-feifdoms marked out in multi-coloured windbreaks, I wouldn't stay there. My decision and my choice, just as the people who do want to stay there made their decision and choice.
The whole idea of owning a Motorhome to travel extensively is becoming lost
No, that's your idea of owning a motorhome. One that many people echo, but not everyone. Some might simply not want to tow, or be afraid of doing so.
Buy a Motorhome travel, stop for a few days -move on
Why should they have to? Personally, we DO travel this way, but I feel absolutely no resentment to people who drive their van somewhere for a couple of weeks and then drive home again. Just not for us personally.
Buy a Caravan pitch up for a week or fortnight -travel around
Again, why? My grandparents toured exhaustively in their caravan well into their 70's when my grandfather passed away unexpectedly. I think the longest they normally stayed in one place was 3 days before heading off again.

I do accept that the two points above may well be referring to the point that a motorhome is "optimal" if you want a touring type vacation and a caravan is better suited to a more "static" type, but there is no reason they both can't be used the other way around if the people doing so are willing to accept the compromises in either space, time or effort involved.

Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
I have switched from a motorhome to a caravan, this suits us better at the moment. when we first got the MOHO I hoped to wild camp a lot, but Mrs. Ex is not keen, also we do like to camp with chairs, tables etc. and stay in one place for at least a week, so the caravan is better at the moment. When we had the MOHO we towed a trailer with a motorbike for transport on site, but now we have 2 dogs that is not practical so a caravan works for us, and we have just got a 7 seat car, removed the rear seat and put in a fridge, toilet and a gas burner, all set for days out. We are all different and use our accommodation in different ways, if it suits the people using it that's good, isn't it?

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
We travel a bit stop for a bit then travel again. Or, sometimes if we find somewhere we really like, we stay for a month. There aren't any rules about what you do with your MH.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back