Free Member
Jul 24, 2018
South Wales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2016
This morning I think I might have upset another member who was asking for information about how best to tow his car behind his Motorhome and the associated costs. I wonder whether cost really enters into it really because if you can afford a Motorhome and a car and a trailer and everything else that seems to go with it nowadays then cost us irrelevant Now some out there might think that what I am posting is done out of envy but why would you want to spend so much money on purchasing a Motorhome to which you add a trailer and car?
The phrase “ taking everything including the kitchen sink” springs to mind. There are too many out there who have to do it all. Why didn’t you just buy a bigger tow car and attach a large caravan.
I personally am getting fed up with arriving at sites to find pitches overcrowded with trailers, additional cars , inflatable dinghies and wind breakers pegged out to define the individual’s pitch and often encroaching across other people’s pitches. The whole idea of owning a Motorhome to travel extensively is becoming lost . What is wrong with using a push bike( even an electric one) , walking or using public transport? Or is the later below some people? It is not out of envy that I am posting this it is but out of sheer frustration as to why people have to have more and more when it should be quite simple. Buy a Motorhome travel, stop for a few days -move on. Buy a Caravan pitch up for a week or fortnight -travel around. Why do some have to have both?🤬
Now I have vented I’m sure I will get many responses both for or against my views. Let’s debate it further ?

Bobby-gg

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2020
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Ducato IH pvc
Exp
Since 2010
I'm with you on that, I can't understand why buy an expensive Motorhome then have to buy a car because the Motorhome is too big to fit anywhere, if you're towing you might as well buy a caravan

And two incidents that I seen recently just reinforce my views, just on Tuesday saw a Motorhome with toad miss the turn for a site, had to continue up the road, disconnected the car, turn everything around and come back, and another earlier on a site where the motorhome had so much over hang that on a tight turn the toad hit the van and damaged but vehicles!

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
Once set up we just use buses and trains, all part of the fun😁

Only site we found so far the at was an issues was Longleat, very remote and a fair walk to the bus stop.
Or Boats or wings!
D144D180-0A44-470D-8987-D22E0EB433E1.jpeg
72A81934-EFD2-44AA-89C1-076CD8D5B2C0.jpeg
988C68EA-079D-4DF1-94A5-7200DCB343C9.jpeg
CFDDA005-A048-4C90-94E0-263A525A9F7C.jpeg

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
It is up to the individual to decide what is best to suit their own circumstances. One size doesn’t fit all and we as individuals should not dictate what others can and cannot do. Thus we have a plethora of different solutions. Long may it continue

Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
Each to their own. We’ve had caravans and now a motorhome suits better. But there is that issue that, even with a PVC, parking in town is trickier or impossible. We get round this by taking the bikes. Even that isn’t ideal as I worry about them getting nicked if we go in a shop or museum etc. And what if one of us wasn’t fit enough to bike, or disabled? So I do get why someone may take a toad. Not for me just now but who knows?

Aug 12, 2020
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Accordo 120
Exp
Sept 2019
If you get the MMM there's an amusing observation this month on just what you mentioned TWW. The point the author was making was as pitch sizes go up, costs have to rise as less pitches are available for a given size of plot.

I did laugh out loud at the description of the awning attachment as being circus sized.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
At the moment we are taking both MH and car (but not towing the car) because of particular circumstances. My parents are elderly and need help so the MH is my hotel and bolt hole. We take the car so I can go directly to my parents and Martin takes the van to the site we use. Mum and Dad are unable to get into the MH so if they need to be ferried anywhere the car (disability adapted) has to be used. It also means that Martin can take the car home (no public transport at all at home - nearest rail station 26 miles and bus route over 4 miles) and I have the MH to live in and use as transport if I need to. Public transport from the site to my parents (about 20 miles as the crow flies and 24 miles by car) involves three buses and two trains and takes 2 hours when the connections work. There isn't an easy legal or safe cycle route. If Martin takes the car home I use bus and trains and taxi to get to my parents even though that means leaving the van just after 5 am to get there before the nurse arrives so I can help get my Dad up. I generally get back to the van around 9 at night and am glad to be able to just shower and go to bed. I am insured on my Mum's car but it's a heap of junk and we hope she will get rid of it. Every time I've used her car I have had to top up all fluids and re-inflate the tyres whilst she flaps around watching what I am doing. Also it means she is without if there is an overnight emergency.

We already had the MH which is why we have stuck with it. Also I don't have the +E on my car license (but do have C+E and C1+E so could tow behind the MH..... never figured that one out). We park the car across the front (or back as the case may be) of the MH on our own pitch or in the car park if the pitch is a bit tight.

When touring we don't take the car but use our bikes and public transport (where available).

I do understand your point about car pulling caravan rather than motorhome pulling car but there may be many reasons for this apart from our own scenario.

Many people only have room for a smallish car at home and store the MH elsewhere so I bigger car might not work for them on a day to day basis.

OP
OP
T

The Welsh Wizard

Free Member
Jul 24, 2018
South Wales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2016
Easy answer, don't use sites.
We try not to especially on the continent but even there we are beginning to find that some Motorhomers want to “peg out “ their pitch. Haven’t been on the continent for over 12 months so maybe things will change going forward. It’s like the old example of tourists getting up at ludicrous times to put towels in the sun loungers. By the way how do you become a “full timer” now that Brexit has arrived. I thought we had to return home after 90 days and wait a further 90 days before going back? Someone care to elaborate on that ?

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Stamford Bridge - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Cheaper option, very occasionally when distance is a problem, we just hire a car. Planning on doing that in Edinburgh later in the year as site is not easy to get to the centre.
rest of the time bikes and public transport do the trick.

As for ‘claiming their space’ it can be annoying but live and let live and others will hopefully return the favour

Cheshirecat57

Free Member
Feb 3, 2018
Mid Cheshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years on and off
Well, one of my choices is to have VERSATILITY in my hobby
We go away to various places for 3/4 days at a time, returning to work so that I can pay for my leisure
20 + trips away each year
Sometimes we go without the toad, when staying on convenient and handy places within walking distance to places of interest ( York springs to mind)
Other times we stay at places that are peaceful yet remote but a short drive to many places of interest

There is no danger then of us missing an area diue to remoteness of campsite/resting place

One thing for certain with a caravan, you can NEVER EVER leave your tow car at home .

And you are married to your huge 4x4 for the 265 days a year that you dont need it

My toad is £30 a year to tax and 50 mpg when i just need to go to the shops, and stands me at £2400 including the a bar........confident I will be able to find a like minded individual when Ive had enough

Sep 22, 2009
nottingham
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
5 years
I would have replied,but others have explained my reasons far better than I could have expressed them.
So just put me down as +1

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Not practical to use aires stellplatz with a caravan in Europe so to tour over there a motorhome is essential and when in U.K. we prefer sites so a means of exploring for us is a car on a frame.
I guess it’s a case of horses for courses, you do it your way and I mine, works fine.

stevewagner

LIFE MEMBER
May 14, 2013
Pevensey Bay
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Yonks
At the moment we are taking both MH and car (but not towing the car) because of particular circumstances. My parents are elderly and need help so the MH is my hotel and bolt hole. We take the car so I can go directly to my parents and Martin takes the van to the site we use. Mum and Dad are unable to get into the MH so if they need to be ferried anywhere the car (disability adapted) has to be used. It also means that Martin can take the car home (no public transport at all at home - nearest rail station 26 miles and bus route over 4 miles) and I have the MH to live in and use as transport if I need to. Public transport from the site to my parents (about 20 miles as the crow flies and 24 miles by car) involves three buses and two trains and takes 2 hours when the connections work. There isn't an easy legal or safe cycle route. If Martin takes the car home I use bus and trains and taxi to get to my parents even though that means leaving the van just after 5 am to get there before the nurse arrives so I can help get my Dad up. I generally get back to the van around 9 at night and am glad to be able to just shower and go to bed. I am insured on my Mum's car but it's a heap of junk and we hope she will get rid of it. Every time I've used her car I have had to top up all fluids and re-inflate the tyres whilst she flaps around watching what I am doing. Also it means she is without if there is an overnight emergency.

We already had the MH which is why we have stuck with it. Also I don't have the +E on my car license (but do have C+E and C1+E so could tow behind the MH..... never figured that one out). We park the car across the front (or back as the case may be) of the MH on our own pitch or in the car park if the pitch is a bit tight.

When touring we don't take the car but use our bikes and public transport (where available).

I do understand your point about car pulling caravan rather than motorhome pulling car but there may be many reasons for this apart from our own scenario.

Many people only have room for a smallish car at home and store the MH elsewhere so I bigger car might not work for them on a day to day basis.
You don’t need to explain yourself. At the end of the day it’s everyone’s personal choice. When we go away we take our electric bikes on the back and our Honda scooter in the garage because it’s our choice.

Oct 26, 2014
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Pilote P696GJ
Exp
Well, one of my choices is to have VERSATILITY in my hobby
We go away to various places for 3/4 days at a time, returning to work so that I can pay for my leisure
20 + trips away each year
Sometimes we go without the toad, when staying on convenient and handy places within walking distance to places of interest ( York springs to mind)
Other times we stay at places that are peaceful yet remote but a short drive to many places of interest

There is no danger then of us missing an area diue to remoteness of campsite/resting place

One thing for certain with a caravan, you can NEVER EVER leave your tow car at home .

And you are married to your huge 4x4 for the 265 days a year that you dont need it

My toad is £30 a year to tax and 50 mpg when i just need to go to the shops, and stands me at £2400 including the a bar........confident I will be able to find a like minded individual when Ive had enough
Since when do you need a huge 4x4 to tow a family sized caravan another misconception
Number of time's I here this from Motorhomers “Oh you need a hulking great 4x4 to tow "
I have both Motorhome and a newish 4 berth Touring caravan which weighs 1500kg when loaded
I tow it with a Skoda Superb a normal family sized salon
which is more than able and a perfect match both weight wise and bhp

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
We try not to especially on the continent but even there we are beginning to find that some Motorhomers want to “peg out “ their pitch. Haven’t been on the continent for over 12 months so maybe things will change going forward. It’s like the old example of tourists getting up at ludicrous times to put towels in the sun loungers. By the way how do you become a “full timer” now that Brexit has arrived. I thought we had to return home after 90 days and wait a further 90 days before going back? Someone care to elaborate on that

You don't have to return home after 90 days, you just have to be out of the Schengen zone for 90 days, so Morocco, Croatia, Bulgaria, Turkey are all places you can go for your 90 days out. providing you have the funds available and work out the days correctly you could get the best part of the year out and just come back for your MOT and a British beer. :giggle:

Sep 22, 2020
Baltics
Funster No
MH
Hobby 600
Exp
Feel like an old timer
index.jpg

For me, I like my Motorhome and a jet pack, that works for me. Although I have been banned from Tesco's for landing on the roof, First time and missed the carpark. Just have to be aware of the payload returning after shopping, too many sausages, and cans of beer and I cant get off the ground. :rofl: :Grin::dance2::drinks:

John Barrett

Free Member
Jan 19, 2020
Hamble, Southampton.
Funster No
MH
One Eyed in Hamble!
Exp
Since 2012
WE've gone back to a caravan for a number of reasons:
1 We use campsites and often stay for a week or more
2 'More accomodation bang for your buck' with a caravan
3 My hulking great 4x4 is great for climbing remote mountain passes...

Cheshirecat57

Free Member
Feb 3, 2018
Mid Cheshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years on and off
Since when do you need a huge 4x4 to tow a family sized caravan another misconception
Number of time's I here this from Motorhomers “Oh you need a hulking great 4x4 to tow "
I have both Motorhome and a newish 4 berth Touring caravan which weighs 1500kg when loaded
I tow it with a Skoda Superb a normal family sized salon
which is more than able and a perfect match both weight wise and bhp
Point well made and taken

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back