Motorhomes v Caravans (1 Viewer)

Aug 12, 2020
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Accordo 120
Exp
Sept 2019
Cheaper option, very occasionally when distance is a problem, we just hire a car. Planning on doing that in Edinburgh later in the year as site is not easy to get to the centre.
rest of the time bikes and public transport do the trick.

As for ‘claiming their space’ it can be annoying but live and let live and others will hopefully return the favour
Top tip from a local....unless you have a disabled badge, trying to do Edinburgh centre by car is a nightmare. Parking control is ferocious and expensive. Princes Street is out of bounds: trams, busses and taxis only. Hire car would be fine for visits around the periphery of the city such as the Pentland Hills Park or the various villages and shopping malls.

Personally I would recommend you use the local busses, they are both frequent, clean and generally on time. A day ticket allows unlimited travel and changes for not a lot and you'll go through areas of the town, en route to the centre, that have character such as Morningside, Bruntsfield, Stockbridge etc., all well worth having a ramble through. So, hire car to explore the beautiful Lothian area, spot on, to explore the city periphery, ok, but the city centre......noooooooo way.

For info on travel around the town try a look here

Besides once you've strolled through Princes Street Gardens, the Royal Mile, the Grass market and the bridges, you'll need a dram or three and a car's no use then.

Ps if you bring the bikes, loads of routes, old rail tracks and a canal are to hand but just remember Edinburgh is built on hills.

Enjoy your visit.

Sep 3, 2009
NW Surrey
Funster No
MH
LHD Hymer exsis-i
If we could stay in our motorhome close to local attractions and amenities we possibly wouldn't take the car, but such locations are rare in the UK. I can't walk very far on the flat, and even less on inclines, we have two medium/large dogs which unfortunately have never learnt to ride a bike, so to us a toad is essential. we don't tow on the continent anymore, just take an electric bike for shopping trips, but even there we are restricted as to the amount of local touring we can do, but accept that as part and parcel of owning a motorhome.
Bottom line is in our opinion, owning a motorhome and possessing a toad gives much greater versatility than owning a car and caravan, which we did for many years, and is still easier to set up on arrival than a caravan
As for the OP's comments on what others have on their pitches, I cannot comment due to Rule 1.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
We try not to especially on the continent but even there we are beginning to find that some Motorhomers want to “peg out “ their pitch. Haven’t been on the continent for over 12 months so maybe things will change going forward. It’s like the old example of tourists getting up at ludicrous times to put towels in the sun loungers. By the way how do you become a “full timer” now that Brexit has arrived. I thought we had to return home after 90 days and wait a further 90 days before going back? Someone care to elaborate on that ?
I peg out our pitch (that is windbreakers etc). Its a physical barrier. Nothing worse than being sat beside the sea, on your pitch, minding your own business and some lazy 4444 decides, rather than walk around the pitch, they will walk over, through your personal space whilst you are. Reading, eating, sleeping, cooking etc. Height of rudeness.

May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
You don't have to return home after 90 days, you just have to be out of the Schengen zone for 90 days, so Morocco, Croatia, Bulgaria, Turkey are all places you can go for your 90 days out. providing you have the funds available and work out the days correctly you could get the best part of the year out and just come back for your MOT and a British beer. :giggle:
Or even stay in the UK. Fulltiming doesn't exclusively limit you to the EU.

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
A totally stupid idea to buy a motorhome and then tow a car on a trailer, much better to do as we do........

......tow a scooter on a trailer! ;)

Seriously, we don’t do it because our motorhome is too big, it’s a 6m Compact, but because we like the freedom of two wheels, particularly when touring in hot weather in Europe. On a hot day the cooling breeze and being able to smell the environment, instead of recycled, air conditioned air is great.

Each to their own.

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
Luckily we are all different and like our own ways and things. There is no right or wrong. You earn your money you spend it how you like. Just imagine how boring the world would be if we were all the same. Enjoy life your way. (y) :cheers:

Cheshirecat57

Free Member
Feb 3, 2018
Mid Cheshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years on and off
A totally stupid idea to buy a motorhome and then tow a car on a trailer, much better to do as we do........

......tow a scooter on a trailer! ;)

Seriously, we don’t do it because our motorhome is too big, it’s a 6m Compact, but because we like the freedom of two wheels, particularly when touring in hot weather in Europe. On a hot day the cooling breeze and being able to smell the environment, instead of recycled, air conditioned air is great.

Each to their own.
I havent got a motorbike licence, so that’s not an option for me

Eggs

Free Member
Jan 3, 2018
Suffolk
Funster No
Why are some people so bothered, by what other people want to do? We do what suits us and leave others to do the same.
Perhaps because for some people rules is rules, "you need to be closer to the peg, Sir".

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Each to their own but what I can't get my head around is people in my or caravans that go to a site and seem to spend every day on sun loungers on their pitch and hardly ever go out. Maybe they don't have any grass at home?

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
Each to their own but what I can't get my head around is people in my or caravans that go to a site and seem to spend every day on sun loungers on their pitch and hardly ever go out. Maybe they don't have any grass at home?
A lot of people don’t have grass or live on a crap estate and the peace and quiet of a little cl is heaven, so why would they feel the need to get in motor and drive around when they have what they want there.

Jul 2, 2019
doncaster
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 2010
Yep i cant think of anything nicer than sat outside your gaff in the sun, with a nice cuppa reading your kindle
preferably somewhere peacefull and pretty

Jul 18, 2020
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Have caravaned in the past ,bought motor home last year much prefer the easiness setting up the MH .However dont want the faff of using the MH for driving where ever we wish to go when we are away ,so tow my Toyota aygo .saves blocking up towns and car parks with our MH

Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
I am yet to decide when we get our new van.
Nothing
Scooter rack
Electric bikes
Car and A frame
Car and Trailer
Motorbike trailer
Buses
Walking
Taxi
Hire car
Hot air balloon
Trike with one wheel bogey.

One thing 100% sure it wont be, peddle cycles.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
My wife has vertigo so is unable to ride a bike. My motorhome to do with as I please. If anyone doesn't like it, tough. Get over it.

We all make our own choices, I choose to toad. :cool:
You toady, you :rofl:

good choice(y)

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
Perhaps because for some people rules is rules, "you need to be closer to the peg, Sir".
I really have no idea what your point is. What has "you need to be closer to the peg, Sir" got to do with what the point raised by the OP.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I peg out our pitch (that is windbreakers etc). Its a physical barrier. Nothing worse than being sat beside the sea, on your pitch, minding your own business and some lazy 4444 decides, rather than walk around the pitch, they will walk over, through your personal space whilst you are. Reading, eating, sleeping, cooking etc. Height of rudeness.
That's why I rarely would ever even consider using sites. Bit like having a house with neighbourso_O
Remids me of my mate here complaining about a couple who rent his apartment every year for 4 weeks & rarely move from the pool except to go shopping. :giggle:Never go anywhere else.

Aug 5, 2017
Skelmersdale
Funster No
MH
RV WindSport 32A
Exp
5 years only
This morning I think I might have upset another member who was asking for information about how best to tow his car behind his Motorhome and the associated costs. I wonder whether cost really enters into it really because if you can afford a Motorhome and a car and a trailer and everything else that seems to go with it nowadays then cost us irrelevant Now some out there might think that what I am posting is done out of envy but why would you want to spend so much money on purchasing a Motorhome to which you add a trailer and car?
The phrase “ taking everything including the kitchen sink” springs to mind. There are too many out there who have to do it all. Why didn’t you just buy a bigger tow car and attach a large caravan.
I personally am getting fed up with arriving at sites to find pitches overcrowded with trailers, additional cars , inflatable dinghies and wind breakers pegged out to define the individual’s pitch and often encroaching across other people’s pitches. The whole idea of owning a Motorhome to travel extensively is becoming lost . What is wrong with using a push bike( even an electric one) , walking or using public transport? Or is the later below some people? It is not out of envy that I am posting this it is but out of sheer frustration as to why people have to have more and more when it should be quite simple. Buy a Motorhome travel, stop for a few days -move on. Buy a Caravan pitch up for a week or fortnight -travel around. Why do some have to have both?🤬
Now I have vented I’m sure I will get many responses both for or against my views. Let’s debate it further ?
Choice! We run an RV, couldn't be bothered with a toad. Cheap enough to hire aboard for a car. Simple answer for your gripes.....We do take the kitchen sink et al..

Aug 5, 2017
Skelmersdale
Funster No
MH
RV WindSport 32A
Exp
5 years only
I am yet to decide when we get our new van.
Nothing
Scooter rack
Electric bikes
Car and A frame
Car and Trailer
Motorbike trailer
Buses
Walking
Taxi
Hire car
Hot air balloon
Trike with one wheel bogey.

One thing 100% sure it wont be, peddle cycles.
Hot air balloon bit of a faff! Take a Gyro plane....

Apr 30, 2018
Mid Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670DC
Exp
Motorhoming since 2018.
As others have said its a personal choice, however if your motorhoming soley in the UK I can perhaps see the benefit of a Toad, otherwise you could stuck on a site for days on end without another means of transport. The UK really is not geared up for Motorhomes. That's why as soon as its safe to do so we off across the water.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
yep, that's me, totally stupid and selfish towing a car behind a tag axle motorhome just because we can. We had caravans for years and enjoyed them imensely but disability means buggering about setting up a caravan is now not practical. I have the space and luxury I need, with a mobility scooter in the garage. Oh and the wife has her mobility scooter in the car, so we can still both enjoy "camping". Although it is now like having a holiday cottage on wheels with a big van.

When hitching up a caravan, you have to mess with motor movers and corner steadies. With the car, you just hook up and drive.

On pitch, we don't need a full length awning and all the crap that caravanners need. So we have no need for extra space for crap on the pitch. Just car and motorhome. We would love to still be able to use bikes, but sadly those days passed long ago.

I don't spend my life whinging and whining about what other folk do on sites, it just doesn't bother me what other folk do, so long as they don't bother me. I see it that we all use a "tin box" and crap in a plastic bucket in a wardrobe essentially. The queue for the Elsan disposal point is a great leveller

Eggs

Free Member
Jan 3, 2018
Suffolk
Funster No
yep, that's me, totally stupid and selfish towing a car behind a tag axle motorhome just because we can. We had caravans for years and enjoyed them imensely but disability means buggering about setting up a caravan is now not practical. I have the space and luxury I need, with a mobility scooter in the garage. Oh and the wife has her mobility scooter in the car, so we can still both enjoy "camping". Although it is now like having a holiday cottage on wheels with a big van.

When hitching up a caravan, you have to mess with motor movers and corner steadies. With the car, you just hook up and drive.

On pitch, we don't need a full length awning and all the crap that caravanners need. So we have no need for extra space for crap on the pitch. Just car and motorhome. We would love to still be able to use bikes, but sadly those days passed long ago.

I don't spend my life whinging and whining about what other folk do on sites, it just doesn't bother me what other folk do, so long as they don't bother me. I see it that we all use a "tin box" and crap in a plastic bucket in a wardrobe essentially. The queue for the Elsan disposal point is a great leveller
You seem to have missed this is the internet and we all have to be outraged if people don't conform to the general way of thinking.

Nov 6, 2016
Bury St Edmunds
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Chieftain
Exp
Since 2015
Caravanned when the boys still came with us, and used the tow car to go out and about, all very practical,
MGB only used for fun around home,
Now we travel in a motorhome, and tow the MGB on a lightweight trailer, so that we can be totally impractical if we want to just go out for a drive / pose when we feel like it.
Works fine for us, and don't always take the MG though.
Isn't it great that we are all different!! :giggle:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back