Motorhome Rear Axle Overloaded (1 Viewer)

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Had an email from someone who wants to remain anonymous while they negotiate with their dealer.

Essentially, they purchased a new German motorhome a short while ago and were happy with it. Then took to reading some of our threads about payload. So loaded it with what they consider essentials and took it to the weighbridge to discover that the rear axle was 100 kg overloaded. The response they got from the dealer was not encouraging.

I don't know any more than that at the moment (I've asked a few questions) I'm guessing this model has a rear garage, and while some vans do have a decent payload, if you place the bulk of that payload behind the rear axle then you might hit similar problems.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Our last Hymer the water tank was behind the rear axle so travelling with a full garage and full water tank we were on the limit.
More of a problem with 3500kg vans as the rear axle is normally only 2000kg although at a cost can be upgraded to 2240kg.
One of the reasons we went for a 4500kg van this time around, I don't like having to worry about what I load in the van.

Jan 22, 2019
Bucks
Funster No
MH
Adria PVC
Exp
Rented a few times...now an owner.
It all depends what they've considered "essentials" really.

Very true ?

Not criticising anyone at all, just to highlight the choices we all have, but we spent 3 weeks touring France this summer in our 6.4m 3,5t PVC with awning, 2 adults, 2 (smaller) teenagers and 4 (pedal) bikes. Loading was fine - all weighed before leaving.
It might be different I'm sure for much longer trips, and we didn't wild camp, but a lot does come down to what you want to take.
I'm sure "Tenters" still look at us and think "look at all that gear they've got" ....

Jan 22, 2019
Bucks
Funster No
MH
Adria PVC
Exp
Rented a few times...now an owner.
....but as the threads earlier this year also showed, there are also some vans out there, that no amount of travelling-light will make work. You do need some workable payload to start with

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

StephDeLux

Free Member
May 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
ML-T 560 built
Exp
Since 2010
The ML-T series of Hymer is a frequent offender. I should know, I ordered one :tounge:

If you look at the most sold ML-T from the side, you see the rear axle is near the middle of the motorhome, with a pretty long rear overhang. This ensures a heavily load rear axle, especially since the fresh water tank is over that axle and the used water tank is behind the rear axle.

On the old 3.5T version, the rear axle can take 2T and the front axle can take 1.5T. Since hte garage is supposed to support up to 350Kgs, one can easily see the problem.

That is not sold anymore. They are all 4.1T chassis now, with a maximum load of 2.4T on the rear axle. If you stick to the shorter models (ML-T 560 and 570) it is not a problem anymore.

However, if you go for the 4X4 version, the maximum load on the rear axle remains at 2T and those often run into problems.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I think many problems arise from people demanding more from there motorhome nowadays. Essentials seem to be solar panels, extra batteries, satellite system, large TV, air conditioning, large fridge freezer, etc, etc, etc. All motorhomes under 3.5 ton are only a small delivery van with a huge body.

Banned
Sep 9, 2019
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
10yrs plus
Had an email from someone who wants to remain anonymous while they negotiate with their dealer.

Essentially, they purchased a new German motorhome a short while ago and were happy with it. Then took to reading some of our threads about payload. So loaded it with what they consider essentials and took it to the weighbridge to discover that the rear axle was 100 kg overloaded. The response they got from the dealer was not encouraging.

I don't know any more than that at the moment (I've asked a few questions) I'm guessing this model has a rear garage, and while some vans do have a decent payload, if you place the bulk of that payload behind the rear axle then you might hit similar problems.
Its good to talk, too many dealers are NOT giving the full information that could lead to disastrous consequences, ALL motorhomes as we discussed before on another thread should have a weighbridge ticket within the last so many days or so showing current weight and max weight, and highlighting available payload PLUS explain what that means in simple terms.

There are too many people, me included when new to motorhomes that had or have no clue, even if the driver knew it was overloaded it's the damage they can do to others, either through the vehicle becoming unstable, something failing or brakes not working, for me to do things properly has cost me around £80k total, at least it show I take things seriously when it comes to safety, and good for that person to at least double check (y)

I got to France for 6 bldy weeks every summer, I am damn sure I am not living rough on a hot beach similar to a desert, so I like to take all my creature comforts including air con, but in order to do that you need the right vehicle, with research I faint the perfect donor vehicle with a 4,250kg chassis, I added air suspension and bigger load rated tyres to load 121 from the standard 116 and I now have it at 4,850kg with a rear axle weight of 2,750 giving me a 1,422kg payload, 400 more than I need so I have the luxury of travelling with full water if required. So it can be done just takes research, although it does limit choice and you may end up with a Swift :rolleyes: :D

The water tank on my current Swift 596 is up the front, on the old Kontiki 645 it was right across the very rear, so a better design on the 596 (y)

Attachments

• Image 07-11-2019 at 11.06.jpg
    Image 07-11-2019 at 11.06.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 85
Last edited:

AXO66

Free Member
Oct 6, 2016
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
Chasson 510
Exp
Our ford tranny has a 2250kg rear axle weight (1850kg front).
plated at 3500.
Only 6m long with small outside locker at rear.

Are we Over specced.?

Deleted User
It is the front axle that is on the limit on my Rapido 3 litre Auto. There is not much I can do other than uprated springs.
spongy

OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Learned a little more. The dealer made much of the garage 250kg capacity, just right for a family with kids. But the rear axle with a max of 2000kg weighs 1720kg when empty. So adding 160kg of stuff in the garage, along with passengers and their allowances within, and the axle overloads by 100kg

Last edited:

Banned
Sep 9, 2019
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
10yrs plus
Learned a little more. The dealer made much of the garage 250kg capacity, just right for a family with kids. But the rear axle with a max of 2000kg weighs 1720kg when empty. So adding 160kg of stuff in the garage, along with passengers and their allowances within, and the axle overloads by 100kg
BIG garages can be dangerous, some people think they can just fill them with all sorts of junk, I wonder how often they have a clear out and think do they really need this or that, its so easy to keep adding and adding, should be a rule one thing in one thing out, I am just as bad before anyone has a go ;)

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )

Told the story before, but...........
When we bought the Miller States Alabama I had it weighed more or less empty, as I had collected it
Plated at 3.5t, empty it weighed 3550 kg
I called the manufacturer in Italy.
After a shaky start I was put through to an English speaker..Explained the situation and he said so what is the problem !
I was about to reply when he suddenly said 'Just a minute.. you are in England ??
No no no... that van should not have been sold in England. It must be left hand drive'

I assured him it was right hand drive but surely it would make no difference as it would be too heavy no matter where it was sold

That is true my friend, but in Italy, no one cares !!!

Turned out in the end it was a one off special ( we certainly never saw another like it ) built specifically for shows and was never ever meant to be sold on

I fitted air bags and upped it to 4.1t as we liked the van so much

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Make ?
Model ?

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
It's a complicated business buying a van.
Small details you think dont matter can turn out very important in payload and handling.
A van with water tank, fridge, cooker and 2 gas bottles all at one side can make a very dangerous van.

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Buyer needs to speak to trading standards.
Depends what he said to dealer about what he wanted or needed in a motorhome.
There is onus on the salesman to have knowledge of the product he is selling.
If buyer said to salesman needed for 2 adults and 2 children, and its overweight, he'll have a case.

Banned
Sep 9, 2019
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
10yrs plus
Depends what he said to dealer about what he wanted or needed in a motorhome.
There is onus on the salesman to have knowledge of the product he is selling.
If buyer said to salesman needed for 2 adults and 2 children, and its overweight, he'll have a case.
I contacted a big dealership in Kent, they had a huge amount of various motorhomes for sale and were main dealers for a few brands, I asked the salesman which make and models could take a 1,000kg payload, his reply to me was, look mate we have so many I can't go into every one to check, why do you not do a google search on ones you like the look of and let me know, I thought for a nano second and told him no. I asked him what he was actually paid to do, I have also witnessed sales people with actually no clue about payload!

At the end of the day its a jungle/war zone out there, DO YOUR OWN research and treat every salesman as a pure liar (not that they are but check and double check every word that comes out their mouth), that is the only way you will get to the truth, at the end of the day its your hard earned cash, to them its just a sales figure on a spreadsheet!

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Depends on what the dealer says first really - it might all be sorted amicably before getting officialdom sorted...
For example - the dealer might agree to getting the van uprated... but that obviously depends on whether that's acceptable to the customer.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Depends on what the dealer says first really - it might all be sorted amicably before getting officialdom sorted...
For example - the dealer might agree to getting the van uprated... but that obviously depends on whether that's acceptable to the customer.
And the customer has the licence for it !

AXO66

Free Member
Oct 6, 2016
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
Chasson 510
Exp
Sounds like the accountants have designed another masterpiece.

yep and the combination of base vechle, design team, and the the marketing folks, coupled with the salespeople being left with it.

and of course the knowledge levels of the buyer.

I, probably like many others, was clueless about weights, and thankfully been educated by the contributors to this site

Apr 30, 2018
Mid Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670DC
Exp
Motorhoming since 2018.
In time, I don't want to query this guys pitch with his dealer.
Very sensible approch. The last thing the "guy" needs is to in get into the realms of litigation before the dealer has provided a formal response. I appreciate the dealers initial response was "not encouraging" but once all the facts are laid bear the dealers initial response may well change.

This issue of axle weights is very difficult nut to crack, we are all different when it come to what we believe are "essentials" Not knowing the details of the vehicle in question it is difficult to suggest a reasonable solution, if, and this is an assumption, it is like the vast majority its probably 3.5t. The simplest solution is to fit rear assist air suspension along with 16" tyres and upgrade to 3850. Not cheap but a solution never the less.

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
I well remember cutting off the handle of my (manual) toothbrush to save weight and space .....
You brought back a memory with this post. Years ago I was really wanting to do the Southern Ocean leg of the Whitbread Challenge, it was very expensive, around £20k at the time if I remember rightly, I eventually found myself in a position to afford this and although much older by this point, sent for the application form and kit list, It was when I read the kit list that I realised I was probably a fair weather sailor, half a toothbrush! 2 pr undies, 1 toilet roll and no toilet on the boat, oh no! ! Stuck with the Greek Islands! ;)

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
Our ford tranny has a 2250kg rear axle weight (1850kg front).
plated at 3500.
Only 6m long with small outside locker at rear.

Are we Over specced.?

Likewise our Chausson, Ford Mk7, 6m long, 3.5t real axle 2250. When we head off for France we have two people with all kit, spare wheel and carrier which is additional to standard, full fuel and half tank of water. Including the 50l of beer (no joke) we still have an easy 300kg spare capacity. Usually 150 over each axle spare.

Reactions: Jim

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back