Motorhome Rear Axle Overloaded (1 Viewer)

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
The limitation of an 8.25 "train" mass for those with "grandad rights". Can be ANY combination of mass` up to 8.25t. provided the trailer mass does not exceed the towing vehicle mass.

BTW, an anomally, with this is, IF you have D1 you can tow up to 12t? (train). BUT the vehicle has to be classed as a "Bus". NOT a Light HGV!! (Motorhome).

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Quote from Government site.

Width and length

The maximum trailer width for any towing vehicle is 2.55 metres.

The maximum length for a trailer towed by a vehicle weighing up to 3,500kg is 7 metres. This length does not include the A-frame.
Lenny, the bit in red is not on the government website that was on the link I was referring to. No mention of A frame. The only exception was for trailers specifically designed for long loads such ss canoes or gliders.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Lenny, the bit in red is not on the government website that was on the link I was referring to. No mention of A frame. The only exception was for trailers specifically designed for long loads such ss canoes or gliders.
That was copied straight from Gov. website.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 7, 2017
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
2017 Chausson 718XLB 180
Exp
20 years
This is an oft repeated misconception and is true only if the MH is running at the GVW.

Every Kg that the MH is running below the MGW is a Kg that can be carried by the trailer (Provided the GTW is not exceeded).

See the information from the .Gov website in this post:

Ian
I agree with your point, but I doubt there are many Motorhomes running significantly below full weight, to make much of a difference

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
The limitation of an 8.25 "train" mass for those with "grandad rights". Can be ANY combination of mass` up to 8.25t. provided the trailer mass does not exceed the towing vehicle mass.

BTW, an anomally, with this is, IF you have D1 you can tow up to 12t? (train). BUT the vehicle has to be classed as a "Bus". NOT a Light HGV!! (Motorhome).

Stupid ain't it!

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Motorhomes. It's a funny old world isn't it?

A, no one trusts the dealers.
B
, no one trusts the sales teams.
C, no one trusts the manufactures.
D, no one trusts the build quality.

... but thousands of people still run out and spend thousands on them and thousands of us still flock to the shows collectively spending even more thousands to essentially window shop.

Personally I wouldn't trust half the buyers. They want what they want not want they need and expect someone else to be responsible for making it happen.

My sister & her husband bought a Swift Bolero, 4.25t with a 900 kg payload fitted with a 2.3 130bhp engine... I told him he needed more power, the salesman agreed... not him, he felt the guy was just trying to get him to spend more money, (cue outbursts of money grabbing dealers etc etc)

Now he complains that it struggles on some hills and is slow thus thinks the van is crap. The only person at fault here is him, no one else, afterall he was offered what he needed and was encouraged to go for it... but he got what he wanted and now tells all who will listen how crap the van is.
That's why I buy second hand lol
No dealers
No sales team

The build quality has been thoroughly tested as usually at least 10 years old

But long may the thousands still buy the new ones with all the probs etc so the second hand market is kept well stocked :p

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
It IS! And I only got the van to go there, if I didn’t HAVE to go I wouldn’t need a motorhome ?

9yrs, yes 9yrs of hell going every year for 6 weeks, it’s like watching your life ebbing away, foreign people, foreign food, foreign ways of driving, foreign heat, foreign language, foreign insects/creatures, foreign ways of doing things :rolleyes: British is BEST ?
I have to agree 6 weeks of france especially the south would kill me

I'm even in germany trying to stay out of it as long as I can

May 7, 2017
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
2017 Chausson 718XLB 180
Exp
20 years
That's why I buy second hand lol
No dealers
No sales team

The build quality has been thoroughly tested as usually at least 10 years old

But long may the thousands still buy the new ones with all the probs etc so the second hand market is kept well stocked :p

We used Wokingham Motorhomes in 2007 and 2009 good family firm Ran by Martin , his brother Adrian is now running the business as I know him I have no reason to believe you will not receive good service, I did try to purchase a Rapido in 2017 from him ,but the Euro was riding too high against the pound, I understand that some Dealers can be distrusted , I have had 2 bad experiences myself, but, " I don't think you can tar all dealers with the same brush ".

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back