Motorhome purchase (1 Viewer)

May 15, 2019
Funster No
MH
looking
Exp
Hello Again everyone

I thought I would start another post rather than carry on adding to my last on on 'dealer woes'
spotted this one on gumtree and the owners seem genuine so far and we have a video call with them later on today. Has anyone any experience with this model or know anything about it. price- mileage fair?
It's an automatic which I do fancy but are there any disadvantages with automatics?. I'll try and past the add in now as I can't work out how to share from gumtree to here.
I would appreciate any advice as I don't want to make a mistake on buying our first motorhome

I can't work out how to share onto here so will have to copy an paste

Motorhome Fiat ROLLER TEAM ZEFIRO 235 TL, 2016, 2300 (cc)
Melrose, Scottish Borders
£36,950.00

1 day agoMakeFiatModelROLLER TEAM ZEFIRO 235 TLYear2016Mileage46556 milesSeller typePrivate
Body typeOtherTransmissionAutomaticFuel typeDieselEngine size2300 ccColourWhitePrevious Keepers2

Description
Fiat Motorhome
Rollerteam Zefiro 235 5.99m
MOT til March 2021
4 berth 2.3 diesel
6 speed automatic gearbox
Central locking
Cab air conditioning
Rear view reverse camera, reverse sensors
Solar panel
Refillable LPG system
End bathroom with SOG toilet system, separate shower area and vanity unit
Electric drop down bed with memory foam mattress
Full size fridge freezer, 3 ring gas hob, electric oven and grill
2 captains chairs
Large roof skylight
Leather upholstery
Wood effect flooring
4 travel seat belts
Blow air heating
LED lighting
Overcab storage and wardrobes
Large outside locker with hot air blow heater
Avtex TV with built in DVD player
4 bike cycle carrier
Pristine condition
Pm for more info or any questions
Serious enquiries, no dealers pls

Ad ID: 1386500642

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Hello All. Its me again needing your wise words. going to look at this tomorrow and a lot more wary now thanks to all your help. Don't know if I've done it right

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/710-...0001&campid=5338547443&icep_item=184478990287
Damn!:rolleyes: If you had said this yesterday I could have had a squint at it for you. Looks like it's stored at same place as ours.:Smile:

Given current Covid regulations on site think he'll have to bring it out of the compound (assuming it is stored there) into the car park or onto the site however there is also a restriction against visitors in those areas. Probably being paranoid but if viewing is on the approach road be wary!

Quite a big motorhome on a 3500 plate. Would it be sensible to get it over a weighbridge just to check payload (a question to other Funsters who have a greater knowledge of the model than I)?

Fingers crossed it works out well for you.(y)

Edit
ps just looked at the photos and they have been taken on the site with the first being at the motorhome service point and others just outside the storage compound gate. So maybe I am paranoid!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
H
May 15, 2019
Funster No
MH
looking
Exp
There is also a rollerteam 259b for sale. Both these are on ebay so I am on my guard. for one thing you would expect they could get them sold in owners groups no?
The rollerteam is an ex hire and whilst I was searching reviews I came across adverts for this van still being hired out at £122.00 a day so
Damn!:rolleyes: If you had said this yesterday I could have had a squint at it for you. Looks like it's stored at same place as ours.:Smile:

Given current Covid regulations on site think he'll have to bring it out of the compound (assuming it is stored there) into the car park or onto the site however there is also a restriction against visitors in those areas. Probably being paranoid but if viewing is on the approach road be wary!

Quite a big motorhome on a 3500 plate. Would it be sensible to get it over a weighbridge just to check payload (a question to other Funsters who have a greater knowledge of the model than I)?

Fingers crossed it works out well for you.(y)

Edit
ps just looked at the photos and they have been taken on the site with the first being at the motorhome service point and others just outside the storage compound gate. So maybe I am paranoid!

I've no idea where I would find a weighbridge and don't know how I could do that before buying. I would need to know the sellers address and make sure the MH is registered to them. I understand they could have it stored but I'm on my guard knowing that it's a bad idea to buy from a car park etc

Upvote 0
OP
OP
H
May 15, 2019
Funster No
MH
looking
Exp
oops went wrong there somehow. Also looking at a rollerteam 295b on ebay. Also found an ad where it's being hired out. I texted the owner to ask if it was still being hired out and she said no. She said they are changing because her husband has had a few operations for his knee and they are going for one with an island bed. hmmm on my guard here, Could be genuine though

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/710-...0001&campid=5338547443&icep_item=184478990287

Upvote 0

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
There is also a rollerteam 259b for sale. Both these are on ebay so I am on my guard. for one thing you would expect they could get them sold in owners groups no?
The rollerteam is an ex hire and whilst I was searching reviews I came across adverts for this van still being hired out at £122.00 a day so

I've no idea where I would find a weighbridge and don't know how I could do that before buying. I would need to know the sellers address and make sure the MH is registered to them. I understand they could have it stored but I'm on my guard knowing that it's a bad idea to buy from a car park etc

Not sure if you've seen the additions I edited into my post?
Weighbridge question was more for other Funsters who may have thoughts around payload issues.

Upvote 0

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
oops went wrong there somehow. Also looking at a rollerteam 295b on ebay. Also found an ad where it's being hired out. I texted the owner to ask if it was still being hired out and she said no. She said they are changing because her husband has had a few operations for his knee and they are going for one with an island bed. hmmm on my guard here, Could be genuine though

Did you mean to repost the link to the Autosleeper?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
H
May 15, 2019
Funster No
MH
looking
Exp
May not be an issue for you but guess you couldn't rotate and use the comfy captains chairs so probably have to use the dinette chairs for lounging?
Only the two of us so that wouldn't be a problem. I'm having second thoughts about looking at them now as I'm very wary but no experience in this. They could be passing any number of problems onto us. At least with a dealer you have some protection if anything major goes wrong...I hope. We're not in a hurry so may just hang on a bit and maybe hire for our break in two weeks.

Upvote 0

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Only the two of us so that wouldn't be a problem. I'm having second thoughts about looking at them now as I'm very wary but no experience in this. They could be passing any number of problems onto us. At least with a dealer you have some protection if anything major goes wrong...I hope. We're not in a hurry so may just hang on a bit and maybe hire for our break in two weeks.
The reason I pointed out the dinette topic was the seats tend not to be too comfy to sit in unless you're sitting to eat. They don't adjust \ recline so you're left sitting in what is, effectively, a dining chair.
I understand your trepidation however if you are seriously considering motorhoming you'll will need to start looking at some in the flesh to get a better understanding of what will \ what won't work for you. Only by doing this will you be able to fine tune your spec.
As a starting point it might be worthwhile jotting down definite must haves in one column, definite must not haves in another and maybes in another and then viewing a number of motorhomes in the flesh moving items from one column to the other and adding \ deleting items as you tweak your thoughts.
Sorry if I'm teaching Granny to sook eggs as the saying goes.
Sounds stupid to say so but don't worry about the trepidation we went through exactly the same 6 years ago when we bought ours. Always been a believer in "what's for you won't go passed you" so would suggest you get out there and start looking so you can formulate your thoughts.(y) Nobody can force you to buy when you are looking.:Smile:
Obviously, the current situation doesn't help but ...........

Upvote 0
Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
The number one on your column should be damp and build quality as you are interested in vans that could have it, check carefully and take a damp meter.
It's no good good getting a great layout damp motorhome.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
H
May 15, 2019
Funster No
MH
looking
Exp
The reason I pointed out the dinette topic was the seats tend not to be too comfy to sit in unless you're sitting to eat. They don't adjust \ recline so you're left sitting in what is, effectively, a dining chair.
I understand your trepidation however if you are seriously considering motorhoming you'll will need to start looking at some in the flesh to get a better understanding of what will \ what won't work for you. Only by doing this will you be able to fine tune your spec.
As a starting point it might be worthwhile jotting down definite must haves in one column, definite must not haves in another and maybes in another and then viewing a number of motorhomes in the flesh moving items from one column to the other and adding \ deleting items as you tweak your thoughts.
Sorry if I'm teaching Granny to sook eggs as the saying goes.
Sounds stupid to say so but don't worry about the trepidation we went through exactly the same 6 years ago when we bought ours. Always been a believer in "what's for you won't go passed you" so would suggest you get out there and start looking so you can formulate your thoughts.(y) Nobody can force you to buy when you are looking.:Smile:
Obviously, the current situation doesn't help but ...........

That's good to know about the dinette chairs. We thought we were set in what we are looking for as we have looked at quite a few now. Never thought about the chairs though, just the must have's of a fixed bed- French. or single/double, an oven and separate shower. That's one more thing to watch out for.
I decided against the rollerteam because when I asked the seller whether the van was still being hired she said no it was because of her husbands operation. I saw the ad and she has two for hire. I also found them a bit dry/frosty to deal with. Her first message was 'We are not about to start Haggling' charming!
I think we will hire one for our break. and then save for the right one. It's too risky and we can't afford to make a mistake.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
H
May 15, 2019
Funster No
MH
looking
Exp
The number one on your column should be damp and build quality as you are interested in vans that could have it, check carefully and take a damp meter.
It's no good good getting a great layout damp motorhome.
I'll need to buy one. we'll be hanging on till next year and saving to add to existing funds so hopefully no more than 1-2 yrs old with some warranty left so hopefully no problems with damp.

Upvote 0
Jul 13, 2020
Leicester
Funster No
MH
'Inbetweeners'
Exp
Newbie. Motor home experience began on 1/8/2020.
I'll need to buy one. we'll be hanging on till next year and saving to add to existing funds so hopefully no more than 1-2 yrs old with some warranty left so hopefully no problems with damp.

I am not sure a newer model will guarantee the vehicle doesn't have damp problems. Don't assume anything.

Upvote 0

me you and pogo 2

Free Member
Aug 16, 2016
Bolton Area - Westhoughton
Funster No
MH
Vantage SOL
Exp
ex-caravanner & ex-biker
Hi Steve, I've been following your thread and hopefully you will find a moho that is right for you in every aspect.

However on a legal point and for your protection please, please be aware of this reference a moho habitation check.

The only way you are covered for any redress if a fault was found later on after your purchase is if you, and only you paid for the hab check/service directly to the service provider, for example maybe a member of the Approved Workshop Scheme.

Don't let the seller pay for the hab check because the only legal contract is between the person (seller) who paid for the service and the service provider.

We asked the seller to pay for the check (the hab report said that everything had been tested and was working perfectly) and subsequently it has cost us a lot of money to put right as multiple faults were discovered after our purchase.

The Approved Workshop Scheme was of no use to us (because they stated that we didn't pay for the hab check, therefore it was not my contract but the sellers) at all even though the service provider was a member. We went through them and other legal channels but all to no avail, so here's the benefit of our experience on a legal point regarding the hab check - pay for it yourself before purchase and if anything goes wrong you have the opportunity of some redress.

I don't want to appear negative about buying a moho, I just would like you to be aware of this and have some protection if unfortunately something happened later.

This only applies if you purchase a moho from a private seller, any dealer purchase would a straightforward transaction with the usual good aftersales service.

I hope this helps.
Regards
Dave

Upvote 0
Jul 13, 2020
Leicester
Funster No
MH
'Inbetweeners'
Exp
true. where would i buy a damp meter, amazon?

Not sure actually but simple to Google it. I was specifically referring to a couple of posts on here regarding new and 'newish' vans springing leaks because of poor workmanship. I think when it comes to damp it is just as important to know where to 'stick the pins'. I have read people had damp tests undertaken before purchasing which didn't pick up the existing damp. A good nose for musty smells and a good look in hidden cupboards/places at top and bottom would be a good place to start. And I reckon if you can view in winter when its damp and wet and so long as you don't detect a musty damp smell or see traces of mould/stains you are probably as safe as you can be.

The MH we have just bought (our first) is 11 years old and I am keeping my fingers crossed it'll be ok with regards to damp. Regarding the other discussion point. We felt the circa £30k - £35k budget was about right for a first MH (at least for us), after looking for 3 years and realising you don't get much for £20-£25K.

Resigning ourselves the budget would have to increase took a bit of getting used to (Maybe that is why it took us 3 years from the outset). But everyone's circumstance are different.

Good luck with the searching. I agreed with whoever posted the search is nearly more fun than actually getting there. At least at the moment with all the restrictions on travel.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
H
May 15, 2019
Funster No
MH
looking
Exp
Hi Steve, I've been following your thread and hopefully you will find a moho that is right for you in every aspect.

However on a legal point and for your protection please, please be aware of this reference a moho habitation check.

The only way you are covered for any redress if a fault was found later on after your purchase is if you, and only you paid for the hab check/service directly to the service provider, for example maybe a member of the Approved Workshop Scheme.

Don't let the seller pay for the hab check because the only legal contract is between the person (seller) who paid for the service and the service provider.

We asked the seller to pay for the check (the hab report said that everything had been tested and was working perfectly) and subsequently it has cost us a lot of money to put right as multiple faults were discovered after our purchase.

The Approved Workshop Scheme was of no use to us (because they stated that we didn't pay for the hab check, therefore it was not my contract but the sellers) at all even though the service provider was a member. We went through them and other legal channels but all to no avail, so here's the benefit of our experience on a legal point regarding the hab check - pay for it yourself before purchase and if anything goes wrong you have the opportunity of some redress.

I don't want to appear negative about buying a moho, I just would like you to be aware of this and have some protection if unfortunately something happened later.

This only applies if you purchase a moho from a private seller, any dealer purchase would a straightforward transaction with the usual good aftersales service.

I hope this helps.
Regards
Dave

Hi Dave
Many thanks for the advice. something else I didn't know and need to watch out for. I must admit I've been chopping and changing my mind daily whether to buy privately or go to a dealer. The budgets going up and down like the proverbial too and I know that goes against all good advice.
I feel that we will not find what we are looking for if we go too low. Older with more mileage and possibly a load of problems I do not have the experience to spot despite reading lots on the subject not to mention it may well be a scam or someone passing on their cash pit needing a host of repairs.
So We're back on to buying from a dealer and spending what we can afford. 1-2 yrs old with as low mileage as possible.
Sorry to hear of you're troubles. Just goes to show how useless the HAB check is as more than one member has spoken about on here.

Kind Regards
Steven

Upvote 0
OP
OP
H
May 15, 2019
Funster No
MH
looking
Exp
Not sure actually but simple to Google it. I was specifically referring to a couple of posts on here regarding new and 'newish' vans springing leaks because of poor workmanship. I think when it comes to damp it is just as important to know where to 'stick the pins'. I have read people had damp tests undertaken before purchasing which didn't pick up the existing damp. A good nose for musty smells and a good look in hidden cupboards/places at top and bottom would be a good place to start. And I reckon if you can view in winter when its damp and wet and so long as you don't detect a musty damp smell or see traces of mould/stains you are probably as safe as you can be.

The MH we have just bought (our first) is 11 years old and I am keeping my fingers crossed it'll be ok with regards to damp. Regarding the other discussion point. We felt the circa £30k - £35k budget was about right for a first MH (at least for us), after looking for 3 years and realising you don't get much for £20-£25K.

Resigning ourselves the budget would have to increase took a bit of getting used to (Maybe that is why it took us 3 years from the outset). But everyone's circumstance are different.

Good luck with the searching. I agreed with whoever posted the search is nearly more fun than actually getting there. At least at the moment with all the restrictions on travel.

I'll have her indoors go in first on her own, she's like a bloodhound. I can't go in with her as she said I'm smelly. People have said not to spend 50k on our first MH. 35k would be enough. I'm struggling to find anything as I also want an automatic. I just feel that I would prefer something with as low miles and 1-2 yrs old lessening the chance of having to buy tyres, batteries etc etc and whatever

Upvote 0
Jul 13, 2020
Leicester
Funster No
MH
'Inbetweeners'
Exp
I'll have her indoors go in first on her own, she's like a bloodhound. I can't go in with her as she said I'm smelly. People have said not to spend 50k on our first MH. 35k would be enough. I'm struggling to find anything as I also want an automatic. I just feel that I would prefer something with as low miles and 1-2 yrs old lessening the chance of having to buy tyres, batteries etc etc and whatever

Logical and if you want to do that just do it.

I think it's a bit like buying a house. You know as soon as you see it or walk into it said thing has something about it and you know it's right for you.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back