Motorhome purchase (2 Viewers)

May 15, 2019
Funster No
MH
looking
Exp
Hello Again everyone

I thought I would start another post rather than carry on adding to my last on on 'dealer woes'
spotted this one on gumtree and the owners seem genuine so far and we have a video call with them later on today. Has anyone any experience with this model or know anything about it. price- mileage fair?
It's an automatic which I do fancy but are there any disadvantages with automatics?. I'll try and past the add in now as I can't work out how to share from gumtree to here.
I would appreciate any advice as I don't want to make a mistake on buying our first motorhome

I can't work out how to share onto here so will have to copy an paste

Motorhome Fiat ROLLER TEAM ZEFIRO 235 TL, 2016, 2300 (cc)
Melrose, Scottish Borders
£36,950.00

1 day agoMakeFiatModelROLLER TEAM ZEFIRO 235 TLYear2016Mileage46556 milesSeller typePrivate
Body typeOtherTransmissionAutomaticFuel typeDieselEngine size2300 ccColourWhitePrevious Keepers2

Description
Fiat Motorhome
Rollerteam Zefiro 235 5.99m
MOT til March 2021
4 berth 2.3 diesel
6 speed automatic gearbox
Central locking
Cab air conditioning
Rear view reverse camera, reverse sensors
Solar panel
Refillable LPG system
End bathroom with SOG toilet system, separate shower area and vanity unit
Electric drop down bed with memory foam mattress
Full size fridge freezer, 3 ring gas hob, electric oven and grill
2 captains chairs
Large roof skylight
Leather upholstery
Wood effect flooring
4 travel seat belts
Blow air heating
LED lighting
Overcab storage and wardrobes
Large outside locker with hot air blow heater
Avtex TV with built in DVD player
4 bike cycle carrier
Pristine condition
Pm for more info or any questions
Serious enquiries, no dealers pls

Ad ID: 1386500642

OP
OP
H
May 15, 2019
Funster No
MH
looking
Exp
The advert states a 3 ring cooker, but. you say only ignition on 2?
Or is it a 2 ring cooker only.
Or is it a 3 ring cooker with a manufactured piezo ignition to only work on 2 rings with the 3rd being lit manually (strange), or a 3 ring cooker with a broken igniter on one of the rings?
If the latter at 3 rings and one broken, ask why and when, and why not fixed.
At 36 k, all should be in perfect working order, I would have thought.
Only my cautious opinion though, as its a lot of money (well it is to me), so I would want it all working.

It's a three ring cooker with two rings being a bit slow to ignite but all working. the owner said he thinks it maybe needs a clean with steel wool. He intended to see to it this winter but now selling

To be honest my partner and I are having second thoughts now about the drop down bed and whether we can live with it.
I am often up very early in the morning but like to go for a nap later in the morning/afternoon so we were just saying how that could be a bit of a pain if she is trying to get on with things.
We saw a compact one with the bit that comes out at the back, don't know what they are called but one of those could be an option. The other option is to get a bigger van with fixed bed at the rear and we have seen a few models with different layout options we like including the swift bolero and burstner.....decisions decisions hmmm

Upvote 0
OP
OP
H
May 15, 2019
Funster No
MH
looking
Exp
Only my advise but i would buy an older van and have money left over incase of any repairs needed . 37 k is a fair lump of cash to play with . As you are just starting out its unlikely that you will find the ideal van first time.
Look at buying private as well having the money to get any van checked over . Think of it as dipping your toe into motorhomes and it being a learning curve (y)

We would have a bit of cash over but I don't want to be handing out wads of it just after buying if I can avoid. Saying that, I could buy a 50k van from a dealer at four years old and have to replace battery's tyres ect etc by summer. The last dealer we went to didn't know anything and couldn't be bothered to find out judging by their sales performance

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
H
May 15, 2019
Funster No
MH
looking
Exp
It's around 4.5 years old.
Is it still the original vehicle \ leisure batteries (if so, they'll possibly need replaced soon). Maybe around £100-150 each.
Tyres could be reaching "end of life". Maybe £120-180 each.
Cambelt and associated parts will be needing replaced imminently. Cost probably around £400-600.
When was it last serviced? Maybe around £200-300.
It's been "off the road" between February and July 2020 according to MOT history, why? Only done c3,000 miles between February 2019 and July 2020 so 42k in first three years (14k / year).
There will be other "consumable" items I've forgotten about!
You'll be taking damp \ multi meters with you when viewing?
Is there a "local" Funster in Melrose area that would be in a position \ prepared to have a look see at it with you?
Might a local Funster be in a position to recommend an approved local mobile service agent who could give it a once over for you (at a cost)?
Best of luck in your search and if this is the one (y):Smile:(y):Smile:

Many thanks for the advice I think you just helped me make up my mind. All of that on top of the fact I don't think the drop down bed is for us.
I did notice the low miles since last year. I don't know any funsters being a new member here. I've no idea how to use a multi meter......tut tut, feel a bit useless.
I understand what you are saying though. The van is getting to that kind of mileage and age things will need done soon.
There are so many questions I'm glad of the advice on here or I could have made an expensive mistake.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
H
May 15, 2019
Funster No
MH
looking
Exp
I would be asking how long the seller has had it. If the use is like the last post it could have been a hire van for 3 years then used privately for a while. Our first mh was ex rental and was fine. It looks very similar to our Chausson flash 10 we've had it from new and have kept it because for us it's a good balance between size comfort space payload etc . Not everyone likes drop-down beds but the big advantage is that it doesn't need putting together at night and takes up no space in the daytime.

Yes it's an ex hire. We talked about the balance between space and size of the van. Whilst not keen on getting something over 7m many of the models have a fixed bed which is better for us at our ripe old age. I don't know if I can be bothered with climbing up ladders and more importantly trying to get down them during the night without breaking a leg!

Upvote 0

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
A French bed could work for you, it's a fixed corner bed - usually with a cut off corner but it a low bed so no ladders involved. You can find this layout in lots of motorhomes.

It seems to me you haven't actually decided what you actually want from a motorhome. You really need to decide which layout you want so that you can narrow down the various motorhomes.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
H
May 15, 2019
Funster No
MH
looking
Exp
A French bed could work for you, it's a fixed corner bed - usually with a cut off corner but it a low bed so no ladders involved. You can find this layout in lots of motorhomes.

It seems to me you haven't actually decided what you actually want from a motorhome. You really need to decide which layout you want so that you can narrow down the various motorhomes.

Yes looked at the french bed and decided we like the transverse type. As time goes on and thanks to this forum we're getting to know what we are looking for but it's proving hard to find.

Transverse bed at rear
low mileage as possible- no more than 3 yrs old
automatic gearbox
must have oven
must have work decent kitchen worksurface- we both like to cook
don't want the big hump over cab
low profile
less then
decent size shower that we can actually use- get into
probably more that I can't think of right now

we looked at an adria compact but not sure. I don't have a problem with 7m plus but my partner does. The only ones we can find are through dealers and then there is the possibility of leaks? I'll need to check out the reviews

Upvote 0
OP
OP
H
May 15, 2019
Funster No
MH
looking
Exp
I should have said. We looked at the Adria slide out models. Not sure if that's what they're called

Upvote 0
Jun 8, 2019
Bexley Kent
Funster No
MH
Given up Motorhoming
Exp
May 2019
There are a few models with the bed at the back. They are singles but can be made a double if needed, so the wife can do her thing without disturbing you. I will look up the model and post a picture.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
H
May 15, 2019
Funster No
MH
looking
Exp
There are a few models with the bed at the back. They are singles but can be made a double if needed, so the wife can do her thing without disturbing you. I will look up the model and post a picture.
cheers I've seen the ones your talking about and like them. I may have to let the automatic thing go

Upvote 0

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Many thanks for the advice I think you just helped me make up my mind. All of that on top of the fact I don't think the drop down bed is for us.
I did notice the low miles since last year. I don't know any funsters being a new member here. I've no idea how to use a multi meter......tut tut, feel a bit useless.
I understand what you are saying though. The van is getting to that kind of mileage and age things will need done soon.
There are so many questions I'm glad of the advice on here or I could have made an expensive mistake.
Hopefully I didn't put you off it but just wanted to raise some things you would need to factor in to your thoughts. If it just built on your thoughts.(y)
Ask away with all your questions as the gang will look to keep you right.(y)

Upvote 0
Apr 13, 2019
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Ci Coachbuilt
Exp
Since September 2018
Some very good and sound advice on here.
We took ages before we bought our first van, which we still have.
Over 2 years of serious looking, then having a think, then changing our minds etc, then one dropped just right at a price I could afford, was a local van from new , but is 20 years old.
It suits us at the moment, but will be looking to change for different layout due to changing circumstances going forward.
Bests advice, in my opinion only...................
Don’t Rush.
Went to look at some new and second hand vans at a dealer yesterday.
The pressure to tell me that they won’t be here by the weekend, are selling fast etc etc etc was overwhelming!
Definitely not playing that game!
Take your time and enjoy the fun of searching the market, maybe get to a localised show early next year to look, if on, and build up your knowledge to a level where you may know if something is not quite right.
Best of luck in your search.
It can almost be as exciting as eventually getting the van itself.
🙂🙂🙂

Upvote 0

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Personally I think you need to do a bit more research to narrow down your choices - you're already questioning the bed situation and I would comment that a transverse bed is fine for space saving but if the "inside" person needs to get up there will be a bit of clambering (unless of course that's your thing..................;))

We took nearly two years to choose ours, a Swift Bolero 680FB which has now been superceded but remains basically the same layout. It's 7.02m long, has a fixed french bed (which doesn't cause us any night-time access problems). Perfectly adequate shower space, a decent enough oven being the items you mention but importantly for us has plenty of lounge space. We've had it for over 11 years........! (If you're interested our story was published in the Fun mag an edition or two ago.)

Don't worry about the doomsayers with their ascertations of damp, poor build quality etc., they're no worse than any other manufacturer, continental included. Also DO NOT succumb to salesman pressure - I believe that there will be a glut next year when folk who are currently rushing to buy realise they cannot afford/aren't using/don't like their purchases and put them back on the market - that's a personal opinion of course.

Have you downloaded Jim's Guide to Buying a Motorhome, free to members from the Resources section?

Upvote 0
Feb 19, 2020
North Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670SC
Exp
If you wanted to look at a load of models to see what you would like and were interested in ex rental Go have a look at Some at Harthill. They are very relaxed about just giving you the keys and letting you get on with it. Or how about this brand new for a few thousand more https://www.goodmansmotorhomes.com/motorhome/sunlight-v60/

Upvote 0
OP
OP
H
May 15, 2019
Funster No
MH
looking
Exp
Some very good and sound advice on here.
We took ages before we bought our first van, which we still have.
Over 2 years of serious looking, then having a think, then changing our minds etc, then one dropped just right at a price I could afford, was a local van from new , but is 20 years old.
It suits us at the moment, but will be looking to change for different layout due to changing circumstances going forward.
Bests advice, in my opinion only...................
Don’t Rush.
Went to look at some new and second hand vans at a dealer yesterday.
The pressure to tell me that they won’t be here by the weekend, are selling fast etc etc etc was overwhelming!
Definitely not playing that game!
Take your time and enjoy the fun of searching the market, maybe get to a localised show early next year to look, if on, and build up your knowledge to a level where you may know if something is not quite right.
Best of luck in your search.
It can almost be as exciting as eventually getting the van itself.
🙂🙂🙂
Yes we're taking our time and building up knowledge of what we are looking for which makes it actually harder to find. We've been to a few dealers and found them absolutely useless rather than hard sell. They did say how busy they were and this was evident by the number of vans lying on the forecourt with sold signs in them. We won't be rushed though. We are hiring a rollerteam zefiro 685 at the end of the month for three days so will see how that goes. We may then leave it until next year unless something comes up

Upvote 0
OP
OP
H
May 15, 2019
Funster No
MH
looking
Exp
Hopefully I didn't put you off it but just wanted to raise some things you would need to factor in to your thoughts. If it just built on your thoughts.(y)
Ask away with all your questions as the gang will look to keep you right.(y)
No Not at all, very grateful as I had not thought of the things you mentioned apart from tyres. I hadn't thought about the cam belt but I did assume that a diesel engine would not need it for a quite a few miles more. In the end the drop down bed wasn't for us and that was our main reason for backing out.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
H
May 15, 2019
Funster No
MH
looking
Exp
Personally I think you need to do a bit more research to narrow down your choices - you're already questioning the bed situation and I would comment that a transverse bed is fine for space saving but if the "inside" person needs to get up there will be a bit of clambering (unless of course that's your thing..................;))

We took nearly two years to choose ours, a Swift Bolero 680FB which has now been superceded but remains basically the same layout. It's 7.02m long, has a fixed french bed (which doesn't cause us any night-time access problems). Perfectly adequate shower space, a decent enough oven being the items you mention but importantly for us has plenty of lounge space. We've had it for over 11 years........! (If you're interested our story was published in the Fun mag an edition or two ago.)

Don't worry about the doomsayers with their ascertations of damp, poor build quality etc., they're no worse than any other manufacturer, continental included. Also DO NOT succumb to salesman pressure - I believe that there will be a glut next year when folk who are currently rushing to buy realise they cannot afford/aren't using/don't like their purchases and put them back on the market - that's a personal opinio

Have you downloaded Jim's Guide to Buying a Motorhome, free to members from the Resources section?

Good advice again and thanks for that. I'm in favour of something nearer the 7m for the space but her ladyship isn't and I do what I'm told ;)
My thinking, and probably a lot of you have had the same thoughts that because of covid everyone is rushing to buy motorhomes etc because they don't want or can't go abroad on holiday. When and if this virus is beaten there will be a mad dash to book holidays once again. There will then be a glut of motorhomes on the market. Could be some time though I fear.
Yes I downloaded Jims Guide. Very good isn't it.

Upvote 0
May 29, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line
Exp
Since 2016
Hmm. being a chef that won't do at all grrrr
Whilst MH ovens do take much longer to cook than domestic ovens I've never had a problem with either of ours and I wouldn't be without one by choice. Yes there are other ways to cook "oven" things (using a bbq with a lid or special pans on the hob) but if an oven is important to you then I say keep it on your list. If I saw our dream MH but it didn't have an oven it wouldn't be a total deal-breaker for me.....but I'd only be prepared to compromise on the oven if the MH was absolutely perfect in every other way. Luckily I've not yet had to make that decision ;)

I would be asking how long the seller has had it. If the use is like the last post it could have been a hire van for 3 years then used privately for a while.
I reckon you're spot on there.....Date of last V5C (logbook) issued 11 May 2020
Looks like the current owners have only had it a few months, and with two previous owners according to the advert (the assumed hire company, plus one other before the current owners bought it) I'd be wondering why its changed hands so often.

I've said many times before....I've no problems with a MH being an ex hire vehicle (our first MH was and we had no major problems with it), but you do need to check the condition carefully and it needs to be at the right price (for guidance I think we paid the best part of 10k less than comparable non-hire MHs when we bought ours). I don't know much about Roller Teams but Autotrader has 3 2016 Roller Teams for sale which start around £35k......so £37k for a private sale of an ex-hire vehicle seems a bit ambitious to me.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
H
May 15, 2019
Funster No
MH
looking
Exp
Whilst MH ovens do take much longer to cook than domestic ovens I've never had a problem with either of ours and I wouldn't be without one by choice. Yes there are other ways to cook "oven" things (using a bbq with a lid or special pans on the hob) but if an oven is important to you then I say keep it on your list. If I saw our dream MH but it didn't have an oven it wouldn't be a total deal-breaker for me.....but I'd only be prepared to compromise on the oven if the MH was absolutely perfect in every other way. Luckily I've not yet had to make that decision ;)

I reckon you're spot on there.....Date of last V5C (logbook) issued 11 May 2020
Looks like the current owners have only had it a few months, and with two previous owners according to the advert (the assumed hire company, plus one other before the current owners bought it) I'd be wondering why its changed hands so often.

I've said many times before....I've no problems with a MH being an ex hire vehicle (our first MH was and we had no major problems with it), but you do need to check the condition carefully and it needs to be at the right price (for guidance I think we paid the best part of 10k less than comparable non-hire MHs when we bought ours). I don't know much about Roller Teams but Autotrader has 3 2016 Roller Teams for sale which start around £35k......so £37k for a private sale of an ex-hire vehicle seems a bit ambitious to me.

I wish I was able to spot the things you talked about. I did a full HPI check and couldn't work it out! Thank god for the funsters.
No oven 'would' be a deal breaker for both of us no matter what the rest of the MH was like as we're definitely not microwave fans and fed up going to restaurants and being let down. Both of us are looking forward to going to markets in france, spain etc and cooking our own..yum

Upvote 0

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Yep - it's rare to see a continental build with a "proper" oven unless it's an add-on option. Although we haven't actually done roast in our oven the head chef tells me she wouldn't have a problem, although a 32lb turkey might be! They do operate slightly differently but with care and a little practice are fine - although we do read on here occasionally about "rubbish" ovens. Ours is Stove branded, supposed to be a good name?

When you do start your travels, let us know and we'll be happy to come along with you and introduce you to the various markets. You only have to share the results........................................:party2:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
H
May 15, 2019
Funster No
MH
looking
Exp
Yep - it's rare to see a continental build with a "proper" oven unless it's an add-on option. Although we haven't actually done roast in our oven the head chef tells me she wouldn't have a problem, although a 32lb turkey might be! They do operate slightly differently but with care and a little practice are fine - although we do read on here occasionally about "rubbish" ovens. Ours is Stove branded, supposed to be a good name?

When you do start your travels, let us know and we'll be happy to come along with you and introduce you to the various markets. You only have to share the results........................................:party2:

Yes we knew that the continental vans often do not have an oven as they are lucky enough to have decent weather most of the year and barbecue etc.
So we are looking at an English van with full oven rather than the small version, don't know what they are called?
Would be happy to share the results after covid

Upvote 1
Feb 13, 2013
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Rapido 881F
Exp
Since 2015
As has been stated there are many variations of bed layouts.

We were ok with transverse/ french beds until a sailer friend told us she was fed up being 'trodden on' in middle of the night when the 'trapped' person had to get out to go to the loo! They were looking for a new boat and it made us reassess our layout.

We end up with an island bed and have no regrets.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
H
May 15, 2019
Funster No
MH
looking
Exp
still looking and it's driving me nuts. Looked at a rollerteam 694 on autotrader being sold by JustGo. Terrible reviews. Mainly to do with their efforts to extract as much cash out of people as possible. Doesn't bode well for buying from them!
I looked at hiring from another company here in Glasgow. Freedom Motorhomes and checked their T&c's.
Insurance does not cover damage above 1.8m and damage caused by reversing manoeuvres....
For goodness sake It's seems impossible to find anyone honest at all.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
H
May 15, 2019
Funster No
MH
looking
Exp
Can anyone recommend dealers down south again as we're struggling to find what we're looking for in Scotland. What about warranty work though?

Upvote 0
Nov 9, 2019
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I'm a newbie

Both in near
Can anyone recommend dealers down south again as we're struggling to find what we're looking for in Scotland. What about warranty work though?

preston

Upvote 0
Aug 12, 2020
Chester
Funster No
MH
Van conversion.
Exp
You could try Roseisle near Edinburgh. We bought from them this year, had a couple of niggles and fixed under warranty quickly.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
H
May 15, 2019
Funster No
MH
looking
Exp

Both in near

preston