Motorhome purchase (1 Viewer)

May 15, 2019
Funster No
MH
looking
Exp
Hello Again everyone

I thought I would start another post rather than carry on adding to my last on on 'dealer woes'
spotted this one on gumtree and the owners seem genuine so far and we have a video call with them later on today. Has anyone any experience with this model or know anything about it. price- mileage fair?
It's an automatic which I do fancy but are there any disadvantages with automatics?. I'll try and past the add in now as I can't work out how to share from gumtree to here.
I would appreciate any advice as I don't want to make a mistake on buying our first motorhome

I can't work out how to share onto here so will have to copy an paste

Motorhome Fiat ROLLER TEAM ZEFIRO 235 TL, 2016, 2300 (cc)
Melrose, Scottish Borders
£36,950.00

1 day agoMakeFiatModelROLLER TEAM ZEFIRO 235 TLYear2016Mileage46556 milesSeller typePrivate
Body typeOtherTransmissionAutomaticFuel typeDieselEngine size2300 ccColourWhitePrevious Keepers2

Description
Fiat Motorhome
Rollerteam Zefiro 235 5.99m
MOT til March 2021
4 berth 2.3 diesel
6 speed automatic gearbox
Central locking
Cab air conditioning
Rear view reverse camera, reverse sensors
Solar panel
Refillable LPG system
End bathroom with SOG toilet system, separate shower area and vanity unit
Electric drop down bed with memory foam mattress
Full size fridge freezer, 3 ring gas hob, electric oven and grill
2 captains chairs
Large roof skylight
Leather upholstery
Wood effect flooring
4 travel seat belts
Blow air heating
LED lighting
Overcab storage and wardrobes
Large outside locker with hot air blow heater
Avtex TV with built in DVD player
4 bike cycle carrier
Pristine condition
Pm for more info or any questions
Serious enquiries, no dealers pls

Ad ID: 1386500642

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Provided the size and layout is what you want, it doesn't sound unreasonable to me.

The auto gearbox is a bonus, and it has some handy extras too.

Good luck if it turns out as expected. (y)

Upvote 0

stevewagner

LIFE MEMBER
May 14, 2013
Pevensey Bay
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Yonks
I'm not a lover of Roller Team motorhomes. Looked at buying a new one a few years back and on test drive found it quite a rattler. For a 2016 the mileage is quite high so may have been a hire motorhome originally. I'd want to see it in the flesh before committing to buy it - Good Luck!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
H
May 15, 2019
Funster No
MH
looking
Exp
Provided the size and layout is what you want, it doesn't sound unreasonable to me.

The auto gearbox is a bonus, and it has some handy extras too.

Good luck if it turns out as expected. (y)

You think the auto is a bonus?

Upvote 0
Apr 12, 2013
Shrewsbury
Funster No
MH
Carthago 144
Exp
42,000 in the first three years , seems a lot for a private motorhome.
As stevewaganer said check if its been a rental , they use a lot of Roller Team for rental fleet.

Upvote 0

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Nothing intrinsically wrong with a rental as long as it is, as quoted in the ad, "pristine". Wouldn't be too bothered about the mileage either as long as it's got a full service history.

Just be aware about payload - although Rollerteam are not as bad as some, there's quite a bit of gear on there which eats into the payload. A weighbridge ticket would be good to see.

Take along a friend who knows about m/hs if you can when you go look at it - don't agree anything until you've seen it, preferably at the registered keepers address.

Upvote 0

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2009
You think the auto is a bonus?
Most definitely - it's actually the semi-automatic Comfortmatic 6-speed gearbox.

In other words it is still a manual gearbox, but with lots of clever software that operates the clutch, so it only has two pedals, just like any other automatic.

The Fiat comfortmatic takes a few minutes to get used to, but we certainly wouldn't be without ours.

At first it feels as though pulling away from stationary is rather slow, but in reality it's fine. And you can always push the hill climber button which holds the revs a bit longer before changing up a gear. And of course, you can select gears manually, but without the need to operate a clutch pedal.

On a new van I think the comfortmatic is about an extra £2.5k.

Presumably, you're aware Rollerteam is part of the giant Trigano Group - probably the largest European motorhome converter. Apparently, big on caravans too.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
Hired one for our first toe in the water. It was great for a fortnight around France but the electric drop down bed was a compromise too far for us as full timers when we finally bought our own van.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
H
May 15, 2019
Funster No
MH
looking
Exp
I'm not a lover of Roller Team motorhomes. Looked at buying a new one a few years back and on test drive found it quite a rattler. For a 2016 the mileage is quite high so may have been a hire motorhome originally. I'd want to see it in the flesh before committing to buy it - Good Luck!
Thanks for you reply. I took a swift bolero out at the weekend and found that quite a rattler too but glad you told me, and very glad you brought the Hire thing to my attention. I did think the mileage high for year. nearly 10k per year
Yes we would be going to see it at the weekend before parting with any cash and I think I would be offering on it. Apparently there are a couple of niggles like cooker ignition on two rings and a mark on the seat. they gave a dog too although I don't mind that so much as a dog lover myself
Nothing intrinsically wrong with a rental as long as it is, as quoted in the ad, "pristine". Wouldn't be too bothered about the mileage either as long as it's got a full service history.

Just be aware about payload - although Rollerteam are not as bad as some, there's quite a bit of gear on there which eats into the payload. A weighbridge ticket would be good to see.

Take along a friend who knows about m/hs if you can when you go look at it - don't agree anything until you've seen it, preferably at the registered keepers address.

Thanks for your advice it's appreciated. The ex rental thing is a concern as I think folk are less careful if it's not theirs I feel.
The payload thing is a bit of a worry too as I don't understand it too well. I don't know anyone who knows about motorhomes, wish I did. A weighbridge ticket is another question to ask them

Upvote 0
OP
OP
H
May 15, 2019
Funster No
MH
looking
Exp
Most definitely - it's actually the semi-automatic Comfortmatic 6-speed gearbox.

In other words it is still a manual gearbox, but with lots of clever software that operates the clutch, so it only has two pedals, just like any other automatic.

The Fiat comfortmatic takes a few minutes to get used to, but we certainly wouldn't be without ours.

At first it feels as though pulling away from stationary is rather slow, but in reality it's fine. And you can always push the hill climber button which holds the revs a bit longer before changing up a gear. And of course, you can select gears manually, but without the need to operate a clutch pedal.

On a new van I think the comfortmatic is about an extra £2.5k.

Presumably, you're aware Rollerteam is part of the giant Trigano Group - probably the largest European motorhome converter. Apparently, big on caravans too.

I've only just started looking the model up and yes I came across info about trigano. I'm not sure about the drop down bed and fold down one as I am often up very early in the morning and need access to toilet, kitchen etc.
I do fancy an automatic and like the sound of what you say about it

Upvote 0
OP
OP
H
May 15, 2019
Funster No
MH
looking
Exp
42,000 in the first three years , seems a lot for a private motorhome.
As stevewaganer said check if its been a rental , they use a lot of Roller Team for rental fleet.
I missed that, 42k in first three years? you can see I need all the help I can get

Upvote 0

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2009
I missed that, 42k in first three years? you can see I need all the help I can get
I suspect the van might have been first registered in March 2016 (because of the MOT anniversary - but obviously only a guess), so perhaps just over four-and-a-half years old now.

By mine reckoning, that's an average of 10,345 miles per year, which is only a tad higher than the norm for a new van.

We previously owned a Chausson Flash S2, which was also a Trigano group van and the same length as the one you are looking at - 5.99m. We had a decent pay-load, as the van only weighed around 2,700kg, but was plated at 3,500kg. Suspect the Rollerteam is similar, perhaps a little bit heavier because of some of the extras - so slightly less payload (assuming it's plated at 3,500kg).

Upvote 0
May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
What ever you want to post here you just go to the web page you want then right click on the top browser and copy, then back to the forum in to reply then right click again then paste...

or like me on an iPad it’s so easier...😁

Upvote 0

Griffithii

Free Member
Oct 12, 2017
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Chausson 638EB
Exp
Two years, 5,000 miles, less than 100 nights
I'd be surprised if a rental had a SOG or a solar panel. We hired a rollerteam as a trial, nice van.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
H
May 15, 2019
Funster No
MH
looking
Exp
What ever you want to post here you just go to the web page you want then right click on the top browser and copy, then back to the forum in to reply then right click again then paste...

or like me on an iPad it’s so easier...😁
aha I knew that really;)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
H
May 15, 2019
Funster No
MH
looking
Exp
I'd be surprised if a rental had a SOG or a solar panel. We hired a rollerteam as a trial, nice van.
Yes It has both. Did a facetime with the sellers earlier and they seemed decent. Doing a full HPI check now

Upvote 0
OP
OP
H
May 15, 2019
Funster No
MH
looking
Exp
Many thanks all for your help. can I ask what a plate change means? I see that it is a common thing but why?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
H
May 15, 2019
Funster No
MH
looking
Exp
I assume it had a 'private number plate' & has been put back on to the original registration ?
Yes I did a full HPI check and it does look like a private plate

Upvote 0

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
A weight upgrade is where the official MAUW of the vehicle is increased to allow for more payload. It often involves certain mods, e.g. uprated tyres and air-assisted rear suspension. So many vans produced today are so heavy that without an upgrade they are unusable as you cannot carry anything in them, especially 4-berth or higher.

Downside is that you need a C1 on your licence and under some circumstances you are subject to speed restrictions.

Upvote 0
Apr 13, 2019
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Ci Coachbuilt
Exp
Since September 2018
Thanks for you reply. I took a swift bolero out at the weekend and found that quite a rattler too but glad you told me, and very glad you brought the Hire thing to my attention. I did think the mileage high for year. nearly 10k per year
Yes we would be going to see it at the weekend before parting with any cash and I think I would be offering on it. Apparently there are a couple of niggles like cooker ignition on two rings and a mark on the seat. they gave a dog too although I don't mind that so much as a dog lover myself

Thanks for your advice it's appreciated. The ex rental thing is a concern as I think folk are less careful if it's not theirs I feel.
The payload thing is a bit of a worry too as I don't understand it too well. I don't know anyone who knows about motorhomes, wish I did. A weighbridge ticket is another question to ask them
The advert states a 3 ring cooker, but. you say only ignition on 2?
Or is it a 2 ring cooker only.
Or is it a 3 ring cooker with a manufactured piezo ignition to only work on 2 rings with the 3rd being lit manually (strange), or a 3 ring cooker with a broken igniter on one of the rings?
If the latter at 3 rings and one broken, ask why and when, and why not fixed.
At 36 k, all should be in perfect working order, I would have thought.
Only my cautious opinion though, as its a lot of money (well it is to me), so I would want it all working.

Upvote 0
Feb 4, 2016
West Sussex, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B680 Starline
Exp
Long term a few years now.
Only my advise but i would buy an older van and have money left over incase of any repairs needed . 37 k is a fair lump of cash to play with . As you are just starting out its unlikely that you will find the ideal van first time.
Look at buying private as well having the money to get any van checked over . Think of it as dipping your toe into motorhomes and it being a learning curve (y)

Upvote 0

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
It's around 4.5 years old.
Is it still the original vehicle \ leisure batteries (if so, they'll possibly need replaced soon). Maybe around £100-150 each.
Tyres could be reaching "end of life". Maybe £120-180 each.
Cambelt and associated parts will be needing replaced imminently. Cost probably around £400-600.
When was it last serviced? Maybe around £200-300.
It's been "off the road" between February and July 2020 according to MOT history, why? Only done c3,000 miles between February 2019 and July 2020 so 42k in first three years (14k / year).
There will be other "consumable" items I've forgotten about!
You'll be taking damp \ multi meters with you when viewing?
Is there a "local" Funster in Melrose area that would be in a position \ prepared to have a look see at it with you?
Might a local Funster be in a position to recommend an approved local mobile service agent who could give it a once over for you (at a cost)?
Best of luck in your search and if this is the one (y):Smile:(y):Smile:

Upvote 0
Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I would be asking how long the seller has had it. If the use is like the last post it could have been a hire van for 3 years then used privately for a while. Our first mh was ex rental and was fine. It looks very similar to our Chausson flash 10 we've had it from new and have kept it because for us it's a good balance between size comfort space payload etc . Not everyone likes drop-down beds but the big advantage is that it doesn't need putting together at night and takes up no space in the daytime.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back