Motorhome fun rescue scheme? (1 Viewer)

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
There is an element of risk both ways. The driver has the risk of driving an unknown vehicle, maintained, MOTd and insured by someone else, so needs assurance/paperwork to show the vehicle is legal.
The owner will need to trust/see paperwork that the driver is licenced and a good driver etc.

Imagine the scenario:
A driver helps a stranded owner and omits a claim they had on their insurance (by mistake) he then goes on to have an accident and the insurance refuses to pay. The owner of the van doesn't want to lose his £50K van, so sues the driver.

I am not saying it shouldn't be done, just pointing out the risks.

dreckly

Free Member
May 13, 2009
cornwall
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Back on the road after a 4 yr break
I know I am not insured to drive any other vehicle but could be added to someone's policy on a temporary basis. I would be happy to help out if I can.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I'm not sure we need a formal 'scheme' as such as I've never seen a call for help here go unanswered, someone just needs to shout up for help and invarioubly they get it. That said, if there were something like the scheme 'promoted' here, then it might encourage someone to ask for help here who might ordinarily not do so.

I'd be interested in seeing who does not have breakdown and recovery in place when they go abroad. I think I'll ask in a poll.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

injebreck99

Free Member
Dec 5, 2011
norfolk
Funster No
MH
Low profile C Class
Exp
Since 1997
An ex-Police motorcyle instructor friend of mine has just been drowned trying to help some people in difficulties in the sea off Murcia in Spain, he has been travelling with his wife Mel for the last two years, I bet Mel would like the offer of assistance to bring her stuff back home.
This assistance idea is good if it can be made to work.

OP
OP
Flyingscotsman2
Jan 22, 2014
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
It's simple for wat ever reason I need my Motorhome brought back home fone up a contact on here give the details can u do it yes or no. The insurance would be sorted out. Then the so called drivers would bring Motorhome streight back to your home no hassle no waiting for a wrecker to relay u back to were ever

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
It's simple for wat ever reason I need my Motorhome brought back home fone up a contact on here give the details can you do it yes or no. The insurance would be sorted out. Then the so called drivers would bring Motorhome streight back to your home no hassle no waiting for a wrecker to relay you back to were ever
Am sorry but that just does not add up. If your vehicle is immobilised through breakdown then it will have to be recovered at the insurance expense as no one can drive it if its broken down. If the driver is incapacitated, but the vehicle is mobile, then the insurance will send out a chauffeur who will be fully covered and trained at there expense. Why pay the insurance premiums if you dont want to use there services. If in the event I could not drive my motohome back from Benidorm through illness, my insurance would pay all costs to take it to my home address. If I engaged someone to do it privately then by the time I have flown them out here and paid there expenses to get the rig home, then paid to get them home afterwards I would be looking at well over £1000 and that does not include wages. Of which my insurance would say "Thanks very much, but that was your choice".

OP
OP
Flyingscotsman2
Jan 22, 2014
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Am sorry but that just does not add up. If your vehicle is immobilised through breakdown then it will have to be recovered at the insurance expense as no one can drive it if its broken down. If the driver is incapacitated, but the vehicle is mobile, then the insurance will send out a chauffeur who will be fully covered and trained at there expense. Why pay the insurance premiums if you dont want to use there services. If in the event I could not drive my motohome back from Benidorm through illness, my insurance would pay all costs to take it to my home address. If I engaged someone to do it privately then by the time I have flown them out here and paid there expenses to get the rig home, then paid to get them home afterwards I would be looking at well over £1000 and that does not include wages. Of which my insurance would say "Thanks very much, but that was your choice".
that's fine dave that's your choice.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
If anyone is stranded in The Scottish Borders, needs help for any reason I would provide whatever assistance I was able if available.

An example: say you are visiting here and your travel companion is admitted to hospital. I would do shopping, laundry, drive you to and from the hospital as necessary.

If you are stranded with the driver not able to drive and the co-driver not feeling up to driving (even if the insurance says they have to and won't provide a chauffeur) I would also try to help out subject to the above caveats.

Frentchy

Free Member
Oct 2, 2013
Bordeaux France
Funster No
MH
Elnagh Baron Profiie
Exp
since late seventies
If you have Insurance then use it, If you are in a Emergency situation the last thing you or your
relatives need is fuffin about getting your gear back home.
There was an idea floated on here about a regional "Emergency" help service A sort of "Panic Shop!!" for the "sole" purpose of helping with language-Hospitals- minor repairs- local knowledge-etc for "Emergency's" I would be up for that in my region but the "Panic Shop" would (possibly) be on here, and have access to the volunteers details. Just a thought:think:

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
Various people have thrown up various issues as problems to negate this potential service. That's fine but in spite of that there may be a situation where a person finds that they are either not covered or cover is denied at the time of the claim for an incapacitated driver and have no second driver or an unwilling second driver. They would then need help to recover their motorhome.

I am happy to volunteer as a 62 year old retired chartered accountant who has been driving since age 17 so can drive up to 7.5 tons. I presently have an AutoTrail Frontier Savannah 3 litre manual uprated to 4.5 tons and have driven in Europe from time to time most recently in 2014 when we did a 3,000 mile tour of Germany, Belgium, Luxembourg and France in our Motorhome. I was previously a tugger for about 25 years and towed the caravan through France, Belgium, Germany, Austria and Italy.

I also have A level French which is a bit rusty but soon comes back when I'm over there.

Being retired I am usually available subject to holidays and calendar fixtures. I have a clean driving licence and full no claims bonus of about 8 years from memory. Provided any costs are reimbursed anyone finding themselves in this position can pm me. I usually look at the site daily so will respond in that timescale and if not it usually means that I am away and not available.

Last edited:

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
just check on here the 1's who are willing to help or be helped and forget the 1's who dont job done from what i saw it was just someone trying to help yet as normal a small group wish to shoot it down in flames i for 1 would rather someone drive my mh home that it being put on the back of a recovery truck

OP
OP
Flyingscotsman2
Jan 22, 2014
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Best thing to do bill is ppl who want to do it talk to the ppl who will help them. Ppl who don't sort them selfs out. If u need me bill I'll help if I can't do it I have plenty of drivers to contact. U have my number as I have urs if I need help I'll call u. That's how easy it is

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
that sounds like i know a man who can :)

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
If anyone is in trouble here in Cornwall, and their van needs to go into a garage, we've got a spare room, or you can sleep in our M/H whatever suits.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
just check on here the 1's who are willing to help or be helped and forget the 1's who dont job done from what i saw it was just someone trying to help yet as normal a small group wish to shoot it down in flames i for 1 would rather someone drive my mh home that it being put on the back of a recovery truck
Well being one of these "small group of people that shoot down in flames". I would like it to be known that I will still as always help anyone that needs that help, whether they are stupid enough to travel without insurance or not. Personally I trust in my own judgement and insurance company for my own needs.

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
Well being one of these "small group of people that shoot down in flames". I would like it to be known that I will still as always help anyone that needs that help, whether they are stupid enough to travel without insurance or not. Personally I trust in my own judgement and insurance company for my own needs.
no need to call people stupid its not the fact they dont have insurance it was a post trying to help

OP
OP
Flyingscotsman2
Jan 22, 2014
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Dave who the hell said any one never had insurance. I never it's just in case instead of leaving your Motorhome stuck at a airport or in a compound maybe u could get it home by other mean less hassle to who ever needs it. Talk about negativity if your not intrested dave that's cool man no problem. Oh one more thing u said in your post. If any one needs help u would be willing to help that's great but let ppl know hense maybe having a pool of drivers who we know could help.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Dave who the hell said any one never had insurance. I never it's just in case instead of leaving your Motorhome stuck at a airport or in a compound maybe you could get it home by other mean less hassle to who ever needs it. Talk about negativity if your not intrested dave that's cool man no problem.
One persons negativity can sometimes be confused by another's common sense.

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
looks like our common sense has overpowered you then :whistle:

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
It would be nice to have a thread where volunteers could put their details such as my post with others and that any negative or argumentive posts just get deleted. Someone in need of help won't won't to plough through a thread full of negative crap and counter posts. They just want to get a solution so Jim is this something that you can arrange?

OP
OP
Flyingscotsman2
Jan 22, 2014
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
I can't help that thers a lot of negitive comments. It was just an idea but as all ways ppl shoot it down don't know y I bother . I won't in the future

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Can't understand why we have to argy Bargy about an idea surely if someone wanted help it could be sorted one road or another, no need to argue about it, I know I'd have a go at anything like the original idea, if you've got insurance ok no probs but anything could come up that isn't in it.

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
Broken Link Removed you started this thread, which on the whole is a good idea, however "throwing the towel in" when the going gets tough is not fair on those who supported your idea and those who have a pointed out the + or - of the idea.
Why don't you set it up on here/this forum and if needs be you run the scheme, that you suggested in the first place. Many have stated their support - you just need to get it off the ground.

The best laid schemes of mice and men.............................

Last edited:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I can't help that thers a lot of negitive comments. It was just an idea but as all ways ppl shoot it down don't know y I bother . I won't in the future

So one or two people don't love the idea and your going to spit your dummy and not bother :) You've certainly had a positive response so it probably is worth exploring further. Maybe I could get a form built to record Name, locations licences, etc and build a register. Whether there is a need for such a service is another matter, I personally don't think there will be much call for it, but who knows unless we give it a go, I've been wrong more times than I've been right :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back