Motorhome fun rescue scheme? (1 Viewer)

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
There must be quite a few on here with health or age issues that would feel happier knowing that help from like-minded folk was available - not just from relatives or close friends - from fellow motorhomers able to recover their van and passengers in an emergency.

It might even help some travel further knowing that support was available - and knowing that any drivers would understand everything (well something) involved in driving a motorhome

If there is a list - put me down

Glad to help................

(y)(y)(y)

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
I think we are all interested ( and willing) to help it's just how best to organise it I think.
Same here. Just for the record, I was not being negative about it as seems to be thought. In fact, I stated "good idea" several times...... As a business manager I have been required to challenge every idea just as my own pet projects themselves are challenged by peers in business. This is for a good reason; it opens up the debate and also enables a potential project to be explored from different viewpoints, which is essential if something is to work. Challenging is not being negative about something, it is being constructive.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Can't believe the troll like attitude of some of the posts on this thread! Take a moment to imagine how your wife would feel and cope if you got run over by a bus abroad with kids and a motorhome to worry about as well as you who might be dead or in a coma"

I'm sure if that happened, then some of those troll like people in this thread would be the first in the queue to help. Disagreement in a thread is allowed, that is not trolling its just differences of opinion. Some think this scheme would be good others don't, there is nothing wrong with that.

To be honest the more I think about this project the less positive I feel about it for the following reasons, none of which I must add are deal-breakers but hurdles to overcome.
  • Someone has to keep a list of number up to date, numbers change, people leave etc
  • People supplying their numbers have to be happy with them being displayed in a public place.
  • The scheme could not be 'official' as I'm sure our insurers would raise an eyebrow we wouldn't want to be the 5th emergency service :) So definitely a self help thing
  • Out of pocket expenses need to be agreed along with being sure helpers have the correct licenses (I know more than a few motorhomers who don't have the correct license for their own motorhome. let alone anyone else's.
Like I said nothing insurmountable, but when I couple those impracticalities with a need that I don't really feel exists and I'm finding it hard to get excited about it. That said, I feel the actual idea and the motives behind the suggestion are admirable and I'm more than happy to help anyone get it under way and find somewhere to place it, maybe even publish it in the newsletter every few months. Just needs someone to collate the info and get it started. Contact me when you have the list (y)

OP
OP
Flyingscotsman2
Jan 22, 2014
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
I think we are all interested ( and willing) to help it's just how best to organise it I think.
Well Chris the way I look at it. Get people's names and contacts numbers. And say if your in Spain u fone or email your designated driver and sort out wat u want either pick u up or Motorhome up and bring back to UK. Get a flight out and drive back or if u can't drive to your destination and your staying in the same place for say like the winter beni fly back and if needed come back drive Motorhome back to uk

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Well Chris the way I look at it. Get people's names and contacts numbers. And say if your in Spain you fone or email your designated driver and sort out wat you want either pick you up or Motorhome up and bring back to UK. Get a flight out and drive back or if you can't drive to your destination and your staying in the same place for say like the winter beni fly back and if needed come back drive Motorhome back to uk

Yes I can see that, but it's who to call isn't it?

There might be 300 Funsters contact details but 2oo might be at work or on holiday etc and the stranded person can't call everyone on the list.

I do think it's a good idea, it's just how to do it.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Yes I can see that, but it's who to call isn't it?

There might be 300 Funsters contact details but 2oo might be at work or on holiday etc and the stranded person can't call everyone on the list.

I do think it's a good idea, it's just how to do it.

Maybe shout up on an Emergency Only Help Me Forum

OP
OP
Flyingscotsman2
Jan 22, 2014
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
I'm sure if that happened, then some of those troll like people in this thread would be the first in the queue to help. Disagreement in a thread is allowed, that is not trolling its just differences of opinion. Some think this scheme would be good others don't, there is nothing wrong with that.

To be honest the more I think about this project the less positive I feel about it for the following reasons, none of which I must add are deal-breakers but hurdles to overcome.
  • Someone has to keep a list of number up to date, numbers change, people leave etc
  • People supplying their numbers have to be happy with them being displayed in a public place.
  • The scheme could not be 'official' as I'm sure our insurers would raise an eyebrow we wouldn't want to be the 5th emergency service :) So definitely a self help thing
  • Out of pocket expenses need to be agreed along with being sure helpers have the correct licenses (I know more than a few motorhomers who don't have the correct license for their own motorhome. let alone anyone else's.
Like I said nothing insurmountable, but when I couple those impracticalities with a need that I don't really feel exists and I'm finding it hard to get excited about it. That said, I feel the actual idea and the motives behind the suggestion are admirable and I'm more than happy to help anyone get it under way and find somewhere to place it, maybe even publish it in the newsletter every few months. Just needs someone to collate the info and get it started. Contact me when you have the list (y)
jim u have just said. ( I know more than a few motorhomers who don't have the correct licences for their own Motorhome let alone anybody else's) well they would not be used. Checks would be done but if the owner wants some one to bring back the Motorhome with the wrong licence more fool them. And don't worry about fun it will be on the owner discretion to use the service.

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
Here is just one example from direct personal experience:-

My wife's parents live in Canada. Her mother had a heart attack whilst I was in charge of a caravan rally away from home with my wife. My daughter drove out to get the message to us as this was before mobile phones became commonplace. We left in the middle of the night to drive to London and catch a plane to Toronto. My wife had a chance to see her Mum before she died.

Our friends at the rally kindly packed up all our gear, took down the caravan awning and towed the caravan home and locked it away for us.

No time to worry or think about phoning the insurance company. We could have paid for the number of nights the van was left on site, I suppose, but it would have to have been taken down and moved off the pitch which was booked after we were due to leave.

OP
OP
Flyingscotsman2
Jan 22, 2014
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
I'm not against you. I don't have time to check licence entitlement or collect the numbers Like I said, get a list to me, we'll make an emergency contact page and get it out there.
Don't mean check licences the owner of the Motorhome can do that. But the forum contact page would be good

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Would any of the insurance brokers we support like to make a comment?

Like Jim, I'm a little uneasy that if we made it "sort of official" by making lists and having a contact number then we'd definitely set ourselves up for accusations about being "the fifth emergency service" which I know is not the intention. There could also, and I regret that there are such people, be the temptation not to take out proper recovery/repatriation cover.

It's all too easy to "over-organise" so perhaps it might be better to leave it as it is and if someone WAS in trouble just post an SOS, maybe in a dedicated thread which the volunteers could then "watch". As several members have posted, there will always be somebody who can help and this way they will be better placed to offer their services.

That said I'm still happy to help - count me in.

TerryL

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
I've had some experience of an emergency situation. 2 years ago Martin drove our 2 boys 16 + 18 plus our now son in law to Morzine in France skiing for 2 weeks. First day on the slopes Martin had an horrific accident. Long story short, my daughter had to fly into Geneva and drive the boys back. Martin was flown home. Word spread quickly and we were inundated with offers of help. We coped and got everything sorted. It was a difficult time.

If I were in a similar situation again and wanted to access help from fellow Funsters I would simply post a thread and ask.
I would not have the time or inclination to trawl through a thread finding the "right person".
I've no doubt that help would be forthcoming and would be relevant to what I need.

Whilst I applaud the ideal and sentiment behind this thread I'm really not sure a register is needed, surely those who require help would get it if they asked?

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
I don't think it necessarily needs anything other than domestic and overseas registers of our Fun names and what we are capable of doing such as I put in my thread or others who have given areas of the country where they can help and leave it to the person needing help to PM or phone the volunteers themselves or post their own Emergency Thread.

Maybe phone numbers would be quickest to cut through the delay factor. Other personal details can be exchanged as and when required over the phone.

It needs to be simple enough so you could print off the details of a number of those who you would trust to help you and then to contact them in order of choice to see if they are available to help at that particular time before you go away. Not everyone will have computer access abroad or when away due to poor WiFi, lack of equipment, computer luddites etc.

In terms of managing a solution someone needs to have Moderator rights to remove posts that are not relevant.

Steveth

Free Member
Mar 29, 2014
Wherever We Are Parked
Funster No
MH
Swift Esprit462 (Freddie)
Exp
Since 2014
At least my post yesterday has prompted people to think about the situation we found ourselves in. I would be happy to assist a member in a similar position either in Surrey/Berkshire/Hampshire, we live on the border, or in the Alicante area of Spain depending on where we are. Happy to have contact details etc included on a register if the members decide this is the way forward.

Incidentally I am writing this from my Hospital bed, having been admitted last night with chest pains, fortunately avoided a heart attack, discovered one of my stents has failed and is now replaced. Home tomorrow.

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
Get well soon Steveth!

I'm due a discectomy on 21 November to hopefully cure awful sciatica.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
. Not everyone will have computer access abroad or when away due to poor WiFi, lack of equipment, computer luddites etc.

Then perhaps forum members could have a telephone number for someone who, in an emergency, can immediately post a request for help - which of course must also include a return method of contacting. The contactee would not be expected to do anything more than that.
As a follow up, anyone who then contacted the member in need could post something simple such as an update - but just thinking about it and being the cynic I am, there's nothing to stop some stupid troll sabotaging it. Hmmm, back to the think tank.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Get well soon Steveth!

I'm due a discectomy on 21 November to hopefully cure awful sciatica.
Having been there and done that due to the horrendous pain, I do sympathise.

Good luck with the procedure, and the following recovery. (y)

Cheers,

Jock.

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Now I believe it is a good idea and Flying Scotsman great getting the idea going, but for simplest way could we have a dedicated thread Funster needs assistance, only to be used in need . Then any Funsters who felt able to help could get in touch.

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Now I believe it is a good idea and Flying Scotsman great getting the idea going, but for simplest way could we have a dedicated thread Funster needs assistance, only to be used in need . Then any Funsters who felt able to help could get in touch.
That makes sense to me and the simplest way of doing it.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
right, I am not being negative of the idea, just a possible scenario

Mr & Mrs a travel independently to Morocco in January. after a few weeks pottering around, Mr a is kidnapped by a suspected jihadist. Mrs a contacts the embassy and is flown home to safety. this leaves their van locked up but stranded in Morocco. just who in their right mind would jump in to drive the van back, and how?

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Well I don't suppose Mrs A would give a flying fig about the motorhome in those circumstances!!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back