Mercedes vario 814 self build bus to FLT palace (1 Viewer)

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Has it got a tow bar, if yes you could make a frame to mount spare on.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Thanks for the update Tam.
Can’t the spare wheel be mounted on the back doors like on some 4x4s? I know they’re heavy ish and that may put too much weight on the door hinges but we do see them mounted on the back of PVCs. I have also seen spare wheels mounted on the front. Mostly seen this abroad though.
No back doors ...
Can you weld a bracket up and put it under the van? Even just a big piece of m16 thread with a central spindle or two in the same size as the wheelnuts and fix it?
No space anywhere

Jamesh

Free Member
Jun 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Caravaning since 2010
No back doors?

Just weld a mounting plate to the inside and bolt through?

Or is Tam finally stumped by an old iveco daily!!!

Cheers James

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
Why bother! Most don’t, you need to ask yourself how many times in the past you have had a puncture measured against the time/miles covered ,l very much doubt it’s that much to worry about and if it happens you get on the blower and call a man out.
The system is geared up for this eventually.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Why bother! Most don’t, you need to ask yourself how many times in the past you have had a puncture measured against the time/miles covered ,l very much doubt it’s that much to worry about and if it happens you get on the blower and call a man out.
Loads of times, had one in the car this year, had them in previous 2 Motorhomes, I think every caravan we have had.
Far too many to risk going without a spare.

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Well that was my thinking as i never had the spare tyre out the garage of 5he hymer in the 3 years ive owned it ...and apart from the wee alto last year ive never had a spare on a vehicle so it seems daft to carry it . But so used to carrying one you then think it would be sods law that the one time you didn't you would need it. . My sisters motorhome has never had one . I have breakdown cover and unlike the vario it isnt an umcommon vehicle....or tyre size.

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Loads of times, had one in the car this year, had them in previous 2 Motorhomes, I think every caravan we have had.
Far too many to risk going without a spare.
You're quite unlucky then lol ... Ive had slow leaks on tyres but not one that i couldn't inflate with my wee tyre inflator.

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
I had a puncture in my car last year, ran over something and a big hole so couldn’t use gunk, breakdown picked me up and a new £100 tyre…
Probably the first puncture in 15yrs or more…

but you do go to out of the way places Tam and off road so your odds will go up…🤔

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
No back doors?

Just weld a mounting plate to the inside and bolt through?

Or is Tam finally stumped by an old iveco daily!!!

Cheers James
The back has one window and a bike rack on it ...the top is fibreglass the bottom might be steel but ive no idea whats between that and the inner wall of the van so not sure if it would take the weight . Then theres the number plate etc to take in to account.
20210924_162108.jpg

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Chain it to the bike rack…?
Ive just been looking at that and wondering if i can somehow use the bike rack to carry it. Ill have a play around with that tomorrow as i wont be carrying a bike but i had planned to carry my chairs on that ... obviously put them inside for ferries etc to keep cost down but outside for traveling . Ill check it out tomorrow

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
The back has one window and a bike rack on it ...the top is fibreglass the bottom might be steel but ive no idea whats between that and the inner wall of the van so not sure if it would take the weight . Then theres the number plate etc to take in to account. View attachment 541321
Make a quick'n'dirty bracket to fit the towball bolts. It isn't worth wasting too much time on it & you can replace the towball when you come to sell.

Jamesh

Free Member
Jun 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Caravaning since 2010
6" sq angle up off the towbar in towards the van.

6" 3mm steel bent to circumference of the wheel.

Weld two together and a ratchet strap round wheel.

Cheers James

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
It’s been done before….

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
It’s been done before….

Yes im not planning to carry a bike so i may just remove all the rails and see if o can sit the wheel directly on to the aluminium rack

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
6" sq angle up off the towbar in towards the van.

6" 3mm steel bent to circumference of the wheel.

Weld two together and a ratchet strap round wheel.

Cheers James
My wee welder won't weld anything thicker than 2mm i dont think ....at least not that i would trust. Ill explore the bike rack option first and see how that goes

Jul 7, 2021
Funster No
MH
dont own one yet.
The back has one window and a bike rack on it ...the top is fibreglass the bottom might be steel but ive no idea whats between that and the inner wall of the van so not sure if it would take the weight . Then theres the number plate etc to take in to account. View attachment 541321
I see you got a towbar, so by far the easiest to get a Thule bike carrier , they are very very good quality so you can take an old mountainbike and it will be easy to strap the spare wheel to it as well, job jobbed. The tow bar mounted bike rack from Thule are much stronger then the Fiamma rack, and you can leave that in situ too for your chairs….

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I see you got a towbar, so by far the easiest to get a Thule bike carrier , they are very very good quality so you can take an old mountainbike and it will be easy to strap the spare wheel to it as well, job jobbed. The tow bar mounted bike rack from Thule are much stronger then the Fiamma rack, and you can leave that in situ too for your chairs….
I don't want to add anything else on the back as it increases the length . If i strip the bike rails of the bike carrier and the wheel can sit in the cradle then ill do that. I'll figure something out with it.

Not working now till Thursday so if the weather holds up ill hopefully make some progress this week ...i also need to spray over the primer on the vario before the rain comes. Too many jobs and not enough hands and hours lol.

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
Tam, will you make a bed up permanently in your “winter” van? I was just wondering if putting in a bed mattress might be more comfortable than jigsaw cushions?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back