Marquis Motorhomes....Hahaha!

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Terry and Jan, Jan 13, 2019.

1. Terry and Jan

Terry and Jan Funster

Ratings:
    +214
    I had the yearly habitation check done Friday, last year all okay. This year must of developed aleak round a gland on the roof and had some damp developed on the one side, so when i went to collect, the young lady said she had got an estimate for me in case i might consider them to carry out the repair.............Parts required cost £87.00, wait for it......Labour,....£3800.00. So i picked myself up of the floor, told her that at least Dick Turpin wore a mask and walked out.

• Funny x 10
    • Nice One! x 5
    • Like it x 2
    • Informative x 2
    • Love it x 2
  2. Madcaravanner

Madcaravanner Funster

Chesterfield / Soumeras Near Montendre 17130
    Ratings:
    +2,992
    Well you would go to Marquis

When we were unsure about motorhomes we trawled the dealerships to compare prices and Specs
    We made the mistake of ringing them - - for three months they must have rung us every other day with "offers"

Our local guy with a decent workshop charges £25 an hour for repairs (what are theirs now £125+ an hour)

• Informative Informative x 2
  3. Augusta08

Augusta08 Funster

Ratings:
    +502
    When I bought my "brand new" Augusta I had to threaten rejecting it before a 4 figure compensation was accepted by me for ……………..Lies...……….. No Fraud.

Marquis, never again.

• Like it Like it x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
  4. CazPaul

CazPaul Funster

Ratings:
    +5,855
    I wouldn't touch them with any pole, never mind a barge pole.

Get another couple of quotes but more importantly get recommendations from members about a good firm in your area.

• Like it Like it x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. Viennese

Viennese Funster

Ratings:
    +5,167
    I wouldn't go to Marquis either - their vans are overpriced too!

• Like it Like it x 3
  6. Jim

Jim Ringleader

Ratings:
    +103,287
    Knowing the source of water ingress is the main thing. How bad is the damp? Fix the leak ASAP and things can dry up on their own and if you are lucky you'll have no need to spend anything. If you already have a mushroom and slime farm then be prepared to spend.

• Like it Like it x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. Jim

Jim Ringleader

Ratings:
    +103,287
    That's unusual in the motorhome trade. Normally enquiry calls and mails go unanswered.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like it Like it x 1
    • Love it Love it x 1
    • Nice One! Nice One! x 1
  8. rosalan

rosalan Funster

Ratings:
    +2,525
    Regrettably, damp can and is just about the most expensive and labour intensive problem you can have. You have a few choices to make, you can try to sell and run.
    You could get a second or third opinion including costs.
    You can have the work done as quoted after fully investigating what work needs doing and why.
    One example of labour if there is damp in the roof for example, the whole roof may need to be removed nail by nail before any rectification takes place. the roof would then have to be re-sealed and replaced without kinking it. At least if you have it repaired it should last several years, have a new warranty and be cheaper than any loss you might make by trading it in.

• Useful Useful x 1
  9. sonny

sonny Funster

Ratings:
    +615
    If it was Lee Mill branch I'm not suprised.They put a lot of work out to a company in Colebrook Plympton so worth going there.

10. Madcaravanner

Madcaravanner Funster

Chesterfield / Soumeras Near Montendre 17130
    Ratings:
    +2,992
    I know but we feel the salesman was after a sale even though he was told we would not be in a position to buy until End of March we had the calls from October until January - when I rang asked to speak to the manager and said we WOULD get our solicitor to get them for harassment

• Like it Like it x 1
  11. DuxDeluxe

DuxDeluxe Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +39,066
    ......then again, a second opinion on the damp after the habitation check carried out might not be a bad idea. A certain major dealer chain found "damp" in a van of mine as well for a trade in. When I asked him to show me he could not replicate the readings. I walked..........

• Like it Like it x 9
  12. BusyBuilder

BusyBuilder Funster

Ratings:
    +897
    From my experience, damp readings seem to be higher in winter months than the warmer months.

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. Bustup15

Bustup15 Funster

Ratings:
    +223
    To be fair to the sales guy at Marquis Newcastle, we expressed high interest in a Mobilvetta just as they went to full UK specs and handed doors. I said I wanted LHD he referred it to director level and they just weren't interested. I also wanted a chassis upgrade to 4400kg, he didn't really know what I was talking about but persisted to ringing at least once a month with invites to demo and trade shows such as Peterborough (I think) until I told him I had purchased elsewhere.

Since then nothing. I think he was doing his best working for a crap company IMO

• Like it Like it x 1
  14. Basildog

Basildog Funster

Ratings:
    +1,274
    We’ve had several unanswered enquires on 100k motorhomes .
    Unbelievable really

• Like it Like it x 2
  15. Scotsblood

Scotsblood Funster

Ratings:
    +2,267
    Amazingly when we were looking for our van I did give them a ring and they did call me back!
    Not amazing was the sales guys complete lack of knowledge about the product, I was a newbie and my simple research had given me a better understanding.
    When I was pestered with calls with ‘offers’ I simply asked them to match a slightly more local dealers price, they declined stating my dealer wouldn’t be able to supply as only Marquis had stock.The last call I received ended abruptly when I offered to email photos of our newly collected van on the drive along with a copy of the invoice showing we did an even better deal in the end for quick collection!
    Needless to say no pestering calls since.

• Like it Like it x 2
  16. Ex-caravantugger

Ex-caravantugger Funster

Ratings:
    +928
    As a buyer from Marquis, I’ll be interested to see how this pans out. What model and age is the Moho in question? What does the quote actually say? Have you had a second or third quote to compare? I have had a couple of high quotes for post sales additions, simply went elsewhere. This is where dealers make their money. You have a choice. Will contact Marquis this week to ask what their hourly rate is. Disappointed to see a fellow dealer @Johns_Cross_Motorhomes commenting without all the facts. Let us know how you go on. Mike

17. Ex-caravantugger

Ex-caravantugger Funster

Ratings:
    +928
    Yes. Agree with second opinion but at the end of the day it is all about choice. Mike

18. Ex-caravantugger

Ex-caravantugger Funster

Ratings:
    +928
    Yes that’s right, You cannot order LHD. Complaints will show they are all crap companies. Nobody is perfect. Mike

19. Jim

Jim Ringleader

Ratings:
    +103,287
    Where are their comments?

• Like it Like it x 6
  20. Jim

Jim Ringleader

Ratings:
    +103,287