Marquis Motorhomes....Hahaha! (1 Viewer)

Terry and Jan

Free Member
Feb 25, 2014
Saltash,Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
I had the yearly habitation check done Friday, last year all okay. This year must of developed aleak round a gland on the roof and had some damp developed on the one side, so when i went to collect, the young lady said she had got an estimate for me in case i might consider them to carry out the repair.............Parts required cost £87.00, wait for it......Labour,....£3800.00. So i picked myself up of the floor, told her that at least Dick Turpin wore a mask and walked out.

Sep 12, 2016
Chesterfield England Tellus 3
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
6 years
Well you would go to Marquis

When we were unsure about motorhomes we trawled the dealerships to compare prices and Specs
We made the mistake of ringing them - - for three months they must have rung us every other day with "offers"

Our local guy with a decent workshop charges £25 an hour for repairs (what are theirs now £125+ an hour)

Augusta08

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2015
Morbihan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Augusta
Exp
Since 2001
When I bought my "brand new" Augusta I had to threaten rejecting it before a 4 figure compensation was accepted by me for ……………..Lies...……….. No Fraud.

Marquis, never again.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
I wouldn't touch them with any pole, never mind a barge pole.

Get another couple of quotes but more importantly get recommendations from members about a good firm in your area.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Knowing the source of water ingress is the main thing. How bad is the damp? Fix the leak ASAP and things can dry up on their own and if you are lucky you'll have no need to spend anything. If you already have a mushroom and slime farm then be prepared to spend.

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
Regrettably, damp can and is just about the most expensive and labour intensive problem you can have. You have a few choices to make, you can try to sell and run.
You could get a second or third opinion including costs.
You can have the work done as quoted after fully investigating what work needs doing and why.
One example of labour if there is damp in the roof for example, the whole roof may need to be removed nail by nail before any rectification takes place. the roof would then have to be re-sealed and replaced without kinking it. At least if you have it repaired it should last several years, have a new warranty and be cheaper than any loss you might make by trading it in.

Feb 10, 2013
plymouth
Funster No
MH
Sprinter
Exp
off and on 30 years
I had the yearly habitation check done Friday, last year all okay. This year must of developed aleak round a gland on the roof and had some damp developed on the one side, so when i went to collect, the young lady said she had got an estimate for me in case i might consider them to carry out the repair.............Parts required cost £87.00, wait for it......Labour,....£3800.00. So i picked myself up of the floor, told her that at least Dick Turpin wore a mask and walked out.
If it was Lee Mill branch I'm not suprised.They put a lot of work out to a company in Colebrook Plympton so worth going there.

Sep 12, 2016
Chesterfield England Tellus 3
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
6 years
That's unusual in the motorhome trade. Normally enquiry calls and mails go unanswered.

I know but we feel the salesman was after a sale even though he was told we would not be in a position to buy until End of March we had the calls from October until January - when I rang asked to speak to the manager and said we WOULD get our solicitor to get them for harassment

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008

Regrettably, damp can and is just about the most expensive and labour intensive problem you can have. You have a few choices to make, you can try to sell and run.
You can have the work done as quoted after fully investigating what work needs doing and why.
One example of labour if there is damp in the roof for example, the whole roof may need to be removed nail by nail before any rectification takes place. the roof would then have to be re-sealed and replaced without kinking it. At least if you have it repaired it should last several years, have a new warranty and be cheaper than any loss you might make by trading it in.

......then again, a second opinion on the damp after the habitation check carried out might not be a bad idea. A certain major dealer chain found "damp" in a van of mine as well for a trade in. When I asked him to show me he could not replicate the readings. I walked..........

Bustup15

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 25, 2018
Durham
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs I 7820-2
Exp
New to motorhomes 2019
That's unusual in the motorhome trade. Normally enquiry calls and mails go unanswered.
To be fair to the sales guy at Marquis Newcastle, we expressed high interest in a Mobilvetta just as they went to full UK specs and handed doors. I said I wanted LHD he referred it to director level and they just weren't interested. I also wanted a chassis upgrade to 4400kg, he didn't really know what I was talking about but persisted to ringing at least once a month with invites to demo and trade shows such as Peterborough (I think) until I told him I had purchased elsewhere.

Since then nothing. I think he was doing his best working for a crap company IMO

Scotsblood

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2017
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis 194
Exp
Since 2017
Amazingly when we were looking for our van I did give them a ring and they did call me back!
Not amazing was the sales guys complete lack of knowledge about the product, I was a newbie and my simple research had given me a better understanding.
When I was pestered with calls with ‘offers’ I simply asked them to match a slightly more local dealers price, they declined stating my dealer wouldn’t be able to supply as only Marquis had stock.The last call I received ended abruptly when I offered to email photos of our newly collected van on the drive along with a copy of the invoice showing we did an even better deal in the end for quick collection!
Needless to say no pestering calls since.

Oct 17, 2016
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
A-class
Exp
40 years caravanning. New A-class Moho owners
As a buyer from Marquis, I’ll be interested to see how this pans out. What model and age is the Moho in question? What does the quote actually say? Have you had a second or third quote to compare? I have had a couple of high quotes for post sales additions, simply went elsewhere. This is where dealers make their money. You have a choice. Will contact Marquis this week to ask what their hourly rate is. Disappointed to see a fellow dealer @Johns_Cross_Motorhomes commenting without all the facts. Let us know how you go on. Mike

Oct 17, 2016
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
A-class
Exp
......then again, a second opinion on the damp after the habitation check carried out might not be a bad idea. A certain major dealer chain found "damp" in a van of mine as well for a trade in. When I asked him to show me he could not replicate the readings. I walked..........
Yes. Agree with second opinion but at the end of the day it is all about choice. Mike

Oct 17, 2016
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
A-class
Exp
To be fair to the sales guy at Marquis Newcastle, we expressed high interest in a Mobilvetta just as they went to full UK specs and handed doors. I said I wanted LHD he referred it to director level and they just weren't interested. I also wanted a chassis upgrade to 4400kg, he didn't really know what I was talking about but persisted to ringing at least once a month with invites to demo and trade shows such as Peterborough (I think) until I told him I had purchased elsewhere.

Since then nothing. I think he was doing his best working for a crap company IMO
Yes that’s right, You cannot order LHD. Complaints will show they are all crap companies. Nobody is perfect. Mike

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
This is where dealers make their money. You have a choice. Will contact Marquis this week to ask what their hourly rate is. Disappointed to see a fellow dealer @Johns_Cross_Motorhomes commenting without all the facts. Let us know how you go on. Mike

Bit unfair this quote... :(

Not seen a posting by John`s_Cross_Motorhomes in this thread..

If I were Peter, I would be non too pleased.. :mad:

Whoops.... Just read Jim`s reply... :doh:

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Depends on age. For some time now panels,including the roof, have been of sandwich construction with closed-cell foam as the centre 'filling'. Water cannot penetrate the panel even if the outside skin is breached leaving joints as the only access for water. In the past any sign of damp on the inside meant that extensive damage had already occurred inside the panel: very often these days the only damage is what you can see on the inside decor panels.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Oct 17, 2016
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
A-class
Exp
BE565FA3-2EB0-4AAD-A63B-D2AFFCD38494.png
I can only go from what is on the forum

Oct 17, 2016
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
A-class
Exp
Well you would go to Marquis

When we were unsure about motorhomes we trawled the dealerships to compare prices and Specs
We made the mistake of ringing them - - for three months they must have rung us every other day with "offers"

Our local guy with a decent workshop charges £25 an hour for repairs (what are theirs now £125+ an hour)
Hi. Phoned this morning and the rate is £78 per hour including vat. Mike

Feb 8, 2014
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Eldis Majestic 115
Exp
Vans and tugs since mid 70's
Hi. Phoned this morning and the rate is £78 per hour including vat. Mike
So, I calculate that looking at purely the total cost less the parts required the job requires one guy working 8 hours per day for 6 days!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back