Looking for experience of specific AGM Batteries (1 Viewer)

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
You might want to ask the supplier for the charging profile as not all AGM batteries are charged the same way. I had a look on the product data sheet and it lacks this and other useful information.

OP
OP
SeanF1
Dec 3, 2021
Surrey, UK
Funster No
MH
6m Campervan
You might want to ask the supplier for the charging profile as not all AGM batteries are charged the same way. I had a look on the product data sheet and it lacks this and other useful information.
Thanks PhilandMena I did check with them thay the batts would be happy with the EBLs IUoU charge profile for AGMs before buying them.

sonar

Free Member
Dec 3, 2021
Funster No
MH
Hi Sonar. Thanks for this. How long ago did you buy them and how are they performing? The 110s I have bought are the same dimensions as the 95. Mine are going under the seat also. Just unbowed them. Theyre a bit cold but one is at 12.65v and the other at 12.61. Letting them warm up and will test again.

Many thanks all for your replies and help.
Happy New Year.
Sean
I have not had them more than a few weeks but as I have now bought them there have to do.

they have a guarantee so I am not bothered too much.

there as good as any others on the market..
they are the same make as the one I removed and the receipt I have in the files says feb 2015.
5 years plus and still holds a charge.

Never had any problems with them so far and I have been running a lot from them while doing up the mo ho.

or some of the prices for some replacement items more like no no

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
I have not had them more than a few weeks but as I have now bought them there have to do.

they have a guarantee so I am not bothered too much.

there as good as any others on the market..
they are the same make as the one I removed and the receipt I have in the files says feb 2015.
5 years plus and still holds a charge.

Never had any problems with them so far and I have been running a lot from them while doing up the mo ho.

or some of the prices for some replacement items more like no no
A word of advice on leisure battery warranty/guarantees. When most customers see the warranty/guarantee given with their purchase they usually form their own description of what is covered and believe they have reasonable protection. They do not! I would advise anyone to ask for the terms and conditions of this protection before purchasing. Things like normal use is not covered and the only common feature I have found that is covered is manufacturing defects. (Best of luck with that one as your buying from a distributer, not a manufacturer). Also, the test of failed leisure battery is not its capacity but a cold cranking test which a leisure battery will pass when almost flat. The simple fact is, the leisure battery marketplace is full of manufacturers making false claims about battery performance which in turn is supported by the NCC Battery Verification scheme and the end user is often shafted with no recourse after making aa purchase.

Reedweaver

Free Member
Jan 5, 2022
Funster No
MH
Citroen Relay L3H2
I purchased two of these 18 months ago from Advanced battery Supplies.

I dont have a split charger, just solar with everything running off 12v.

I have now done over 8000 miles in the campervan with around 40 off grid nights. I use anywhere between 20 and 50ah per night, so around 30-45% of my usable amps. I never take the batteries below 12v and they appear to be still working well.

I can do a test over the next week if anyone wants me to and switch off the solar panels and monitor the current draw with the Victron Controller. I would expect to see about 90-100ah of usable amps before the resting voltage reached 12V.

Let me know if you want me to do the test, and then I guess you have one real world reference for this battery type.

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
I would be very interested in your test results as the battery only weighs 26kg and the battery life is expressed as 500 cycles but does not say at what DOD these cycles can be down to. I suspect its not 80% DOD. I don't think the test will be of much value as you need to establish remaining capacity. This post below may help.

I have done the test recommended by autorouter not too long ago and this is how it went.
original post from autorouter, as follows;
You're going to be sorry you said that:cry::giggle: Here's how to do it.

1. Fully charge the battery, leave it to settle for a couple of hours.
2. Attach a load that draws an amps value of Capacity/20. (for example for a 100Ah battery, 100/20 = 5A.
3. Run the load for 5 hours. The amp-hours taken from the battery is Amps x 5 hours. (for the same example, 5 x 5 = 25Ah. For a brand new battery this would be 25% of the capacity, so it should be down to the 75% level.
4. Let the battery settle for a couple of hours
5. Measure the voltage.
6. Use this voltage, referring to the battery charge/voltage scale (In Lenny HB's post #32) to estimate what percentage charge is left in the battery. For this example, let's suppose it is 12.28V. If it's a Sealed Lead-acid type, that represents a level of 60%. Since you drew 25% of the label capacity, you would expect the voltage to be at the 75% level on the charge/voltage scale. However because the battery has aged, it is now at the lower level of 60%.

7. If the battery is actually at 60% when you expect it to be 75%, its capacity when full is
(60 / 75) x 100 = 80% of the original capacity.

So the battery capacity has reduced due to aging, and is now only 80% of its original capacity.

Start of test :
OK! I have now started my test. At 09.00 this morning both batteries were found to be 12.96 V. They were disconnected at 14.00 hrs yesterday and both at 13.66 V.
I have put a 4.6 Amp load on to one of the batteries at 09.00 and it dropped immediately to 12.33 V (which is meaningless information !) I'll leave the load on for 5 hours then remove load allow to settle and calculate remaining capacity. I'm only going to do this one on one of thee batteries as they have both been linked as a pair from new and the readings up to the point where a load has been applied have been identical. Watch this space.

So First update. Test is now completed. I measured the voltage with the load of 4.6 Amps still applied and after 5 hours the voltage reading dropped from 12.33 to 12.25 a drop of 0.08 of an Amp what does this mean. I don't have an effing clue :rofl:
I will measure battery in an hour to see where its at. A picture of the battery at the the end of the test.

20210930_140216.jpg

Test is more or less finished but my maths do not make sense.
After resting the battery for one hour it measured 12.56 Volts. I have taken 23 Amps out of the battery leaving 77 Amps (100 AH Battery)
So! 90/77 x 100 = 116 ?
But if I do this 77/90 x 100 = 85.5 This would indicate I have used 14.5 % of my total battery capacity which I think makes sense !
Very happy with that, if it is correct ? I will measure again after two hours resting.

FLT, GSM, CBBC & Bar, VD & Scar.

OP
OP
SeanF1
Dec 3, 2021
Surrey, UK
Funster No
MH
6m Campervan
I purchased two of these 18 months ago from Advanced battery Supplies.

I dont have a split charger, just solar with everything running off 12v.

I have now done over 8000 miles in the campervan with around 40 off grid nights. I use anywhere between 20 and 50ah per night, so around 30-45% of my usable amps. I never take the batteries below 12v and they appear to be still working well.

I can do a test over the next week if anyone wants me to and switch off the solar panels and monitor the current draw with the Victron Controller. I would expect to see about 90-100ah of usable amps before the resting voltage reached 12V.

Let me know if you want me to do the test, and then I guess you have one real world reference for this battery type.
Hi Reedweaver. That is great feedback and exactly what I was looking for. I too purchased the pair of 110ah. Will be fitting them this week.
Many thanks,
Sean

Reedweaver

Free Member
Jan 5, 2022
Funster No
MH
Citroen Relay L3H2
I will be putting a known amp draw on the batteries, as well as using the Victron on board energy monitoring software. Something like the test described above.

I will establish the remaining capacity of the two batteries and let you know.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I see they can't resist talking bullshit either .......an amp is an amp...what they should have said, as they did earlier, it can be discharged deeper so provides power for longer

PRODUCT DESCRIPTION​

The Advanced AGM LPX110 leisure battery is a low profile height 110ah dual purpose battery type. This absorbed mat technology sealed unit is popular for Motorhomes, Camper vans and many other applications.
AGM Leisure batteries can be drained using 80% of their capacity.
These AGM Leisure range drain at a slower rate, this enables the user to get more out of the battery before a recharge.

EzeeRider

Free Member
Sep 12, 2007
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2001
Not if you want to give them a full charge, AGM's are very fussy on charging profiles assuming your EBL has an AGM setting best to use that.
Lenny is right and the biggest problem with fitting them in a motorhome is unless your alternator charging profile can be made to match that of the AGM on long trips you risk overcharging AGMs which are not so tolerant to abuse as flooded lead acid batteries.
ezee

Reedweaver

Free Member
Jan 5, 2022
Funster No
MH
Citroen Relay L3H2
I will be putting a known amp draw on the batteries, as well as using the Victron on board energy monitoring software. Something like the test described above.

I will establish the remaining capacity of the two batteries and let you know.
Lenny is right and the biggest problem with fitting them in a motorhome is unless your alternator charging profile can be made to match that of the AGM on long trips you risk overcharging AGMs which are not so tolerant to abuse as flooded lead acid batteries.
ezee

ezee
This is the exact reason why I didnt put a split charge on the alternator. The Victron solar charge controller and the 230v Noco charger both have AGM charging profiles. I am hoping by only using 40-50% of the amps available, I will get a 1000 cycles out of them before they give up the ghost.

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
As stated before, I would ask the supplier for the charging profile for this particular battery. All charging profiles for AGM batteries are not identical. i.e. see below.

Attachments

• Leoch Data Sheet.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 52

Reedweaver

Free Member
Jan 5, 2022
Funster No
MH
Citroen Relay L3H2
As stated before, I would ask the supplier for the charging profile for this particular battery. All charging profiles for AGM batteries are not identical. i.e. see below.
Ive got this back from the supplier.

AGM Battery controller charging settings.

Advanced AGM LPX110 Leisure Battery 110ah 12v
Float Charge: 13.80 volts (13.8v)
Bulk Charge: 14.40 - 14.80 volts (14.4v - 14.8v)
We recommend setting the bulk charge at 14.70 volts (14.7v)

Apr 6, 2019
Eye, Peterborough, UK
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
FourWinds Windsport 6.8L V10
Search Leoch Carvon and you should find another Funster is trying them.

MannTec64

Free Member
Jan 25, 2022
Funster No
MH
Citroen Relay L3H2
A friend of mine Reedweaver has done an amp draw test on two of these batteries that are 18 months old. The two 110ah (Advanced AGM LPX110 110ah 12v) batteries have been moderately used over the last 18months. Each discharge using about 30-40% of capacity with about 50 discharge cycles of an estimated 700.

Temperature was around zero to 8 degrees whilst the testing was done. This reduces the performance by around 15%. This has been accounted for in the tables for ‘Ah used’ and ‘Open circuit Voltage’.

The amp draw was only around 6amps rather than the usual 20amps for 220ah total capacity. He will repeat the test for a larger draw later this week.

The batteries were fully charged and on a float voltage of 13.92v when the PV solar was disconnected and all connections apart from the Victron controller were isolated. (The current draw is around 20mA for the controller so for ease of testing this was Ok)

The SoC (State of Charge) open circuit voltage after 12 hrs rest (to stabilise the voltage) was 12.75v. After 20 hrs of a 6-amp draw (120ah) the under-load voltage was 11.63v. The load was disconnected, and after another 12hrs rest the voltage was 11.94v.

There are a lot of voltage tables on the web all saying different voltages, but I have concluded that the batteries are very slightly under-performing, with maybe around a 7% reduction in expected performance. There are quite a lot of variables to consider but on the whole, the price paid for these batteries and the performance after 18months is fantastic IMO.

He has made these tables for his use (And anyone else with 2x 110ah AGM batteries).

1643104146015.png

1643104167959.png

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
I tried using autorouter calculation in post #37 and if I have got the math right I think you have lost around 28% of your battery bank capacity. I could well be wrong though as my math is now terrible.

Edit. Just had another dabble and I think You should ignore this post !

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
I tried using @autorouter calculation in post #37 and if I have got the math right I think you have lost around 28% of your battery bank capacity.
I make it about 22%

6A for 20h is 120Ah discharged from batteries.

11.94V is 30% SOC level according to the chart.
So 120Ah is 70% of the present battery capacity, whatever that is.

If 120Ah is 70%, then 100% is 120/70 x 100 = 170Ah, which is the present battery capacity.

The battery capacity has dropped from 220Ah to 170Ah, a drop of 50Ah. 50Ah is 50/220 x 100 = 22%

This calculation depends on how accurate that chart is, and these charts seem to be somewhat variable.

Ideally the 20-hour discharge rate should be 220/20 = 11A. The discharge rate used was 6A, which will cause some inaccuracy but should give a reasonable ballpark figure. Actually, if the present capacity is 170Ah, the 20-hour rate should be 170/20 = 8.5A, which is not very far from the 6A used in the test.

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
I make it about 22%

6A for 20h is 120Ah discharged from batteries.

11.94V is 30% SOC level according to the chart.
So 120Ah is 70% of the present battery capacity, whatever that is.

If 120Ah is 70%, then 100% is 120/70 x 100 = 170Ah, which is the present battery capacity.

The battery capacity has dropped from 220Ah to 170Ah, a drop of 50Ah. 50Ah is 50/220 x 100 = 22%

This calculation depends on how accurate that chart is, and these charts seem to be somewhat variable.

Ideally the 20-hour discharge rate should be 220/20 = 11A. The discharge rate used was 6A, which will cause some inaccuracy but should give a reasonable ballpark figure. Actually, if the present capacity is 170Ah, the 20-hour rate should be 170/20 = 8.5A, which is not very far from the 6A used in the test.
Thanks for that ! If this chart was used the remaining capacity would be higher still.

120/60 x 100 = 200
20/220 x 100 = 18%

(I still fail to understand why this calculation does not work on my battery ?)

1643127270940.png

Jun 4, 2010
Funster No
Good morning ,

I have just ordered 2 yuasa l36 batteries to replace my single 7 year old running bull battery. I am hoping they last as long about 300 quid for both delivered from tayna

Jun 12, 2020
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138 Compact
Exp
Since 2017
Thanks for that ! If this chart was used the remaining capacity would be higher still.

120/60 x 100 = 200
20/220 x 100 = 18%

(I still fail to understand why this calculation does not work on my battery ?)

View attachment 579209
I contacted Yuasa to find out what my 2×95ah AGM should be when fully charged. 12.7v was the answer. Not all AGM are 13v full it appears.

Brimz

Free Member
Aug 13, 2022
Funster No
MH
iveco daily
Ive got this back from the supplier.

AGM Battery controller charging settings.

Advanced AGM LPX110 Leisure Battery 110ah 12v
Float Charge: 13.80 volts (13.8v)
Bulk Charge: 14.40 - 14.80 volts (14.4v - 14.8v)
We recommend setting the bulk charge at 14.70 volts (14.7v)
Hi guys new to this forum .
I also have the same batteries and when using recommended settings the batteries will fizz .. I’ve bumped the charge rate down to 3A and it still fizzes . I’m using VictronConnect mppt 100-30A controller . Any help would be great just don’t wanna F-up 3 brand new batteries
Thanks
Mattt

OP
OP
SeanF1
Dec 3, 2021
Surrey, UK
Funster No
MH
6m Campervan
Don't know enough to advise, sorry, but mine are working brilliantly. Had 4 days off grid last week and worked them quite hard, drawing up to 100amps in short bursts whilst running the nespresso machine but they recharged within a couple of hours of morning sunshine. No fizzing. Maybe ask the supplier?

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
I also have the same batteries and when using recommended settings the batteries will fizz .. I’ve bumped the charge rate down to 3A and it still fizzes . I’m using VictronConnect mppt 100-30A controller .
You have to connect a solar controller in the right sequence: battery first, then panels. The controller registers the battery voltage and automatically switches to 12V or 24V charging mode. If you connect the panels first, there's a risk the controller will read the panel output voltage as the battery voltage, and switch to 24V charging mode, even if you then connect 12V batteries.

If you think you might have done it wrong, disconnect both the panels and the battery, then start again: battery first, then panels.

Oct 6, 2021
Funster No
MH
PVC
My PVC came with a 70Ah wet lead acid battery, and I replaced it with a 150Ah AGM Expedition Plus battery. As the battery sits in a side locker this suited me fine. It is physically the same size as the previous battery in its battery box. The advantages for me are that I can keep stuff in the same locker and not worry too much about damage from any leaking fumes. The van has stop/start and an AGM battery, so charging from the alternator is fine. I fitted a better solar charger that would charge to a slightly higher voltage for the AGM. Finally AGMs have a lower self discharge than wet lead acid batteries. Seems to be working as I'd expect and has been very good off grid in winter.

Anecdotally, I bought a 25Ah AGM battery about 10 years ago for a specific purpose and while it had a lot of use for the first few years I rarely use it now. I charge it up once or twice a year and it seems to hold the charge very well. As far as I can tell it is still as good as new.

Oct 6, 2021
Funster No
MH
PVC
I see they can't resist talking bullshit either .......an amp is an amp...what they should have said, as they did earlier, it can be discharged deeper so provides power for longer

PRODUCT DESCRIPTION​

The Advanced AGM LPX110 leisure battery is a low profile height 110ah dual purpose battery type. This absorbed mat technology sealed unit is popular for Motorhomes, Camper vans and many other applications.
AGM Leisure batteries can be drained using 80% of their capacity.
These AGM Leisure range drain at a slower rate, this enables the user to get more out of the battery before a recharge.
I think the last line means that the level of self-discharge is lower, enabling the user to get more out of the battery before a recharge.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back