Lite bike lock in production- may be of interest (1 Viewer)

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Picture. It's still hissing down here and my road bike doesn't come out in the rain so action shots will have to wait (y):D

View attachment 108948
Looking at the pic and using the keys as a point of reference, looks like you'd have to be pretty close to the thing you want to secure your bike to

Reactions: DBK
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Looking at the pic and using the keys as a point of reference, looks like you'd have to be pretty close to the thing you want to secure your bike to

That was always clear right from the start. Anyway it's a good thing, loads of slack is bad, it just provides leverage for scrotes to try and rip it away. It wants to be as tight as possible.

I saw a CCTV clip on the telly the other day of someone doing exactly that. Admittedly the lock didn't look all that great but it was too long for the job so the thief could pick up the bike, get a load of leverage going and rip it away from the railing it was attached to.

I think it looks more or less right. I haven't got the tape measure out but I seem to remember reading that it's 29." If the weather ever gets any better I'll go for a ride and find the biggest thing I can secure my bike to with it (y)

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
That was always clear right from the start. Anyway it's a good thing, loads of slack is bad, it just provides leverage for scrotes to try and rip it away. It wants to be as tight as possible.

I saw a CCTV clip on the telly the other day of someone doing exactly that. Admittedly the lock didn't look all that great but it was too long for the job so the thief could pick up the bike, get a load of leverage going and rip it away from the railing it was attached to.

I think it looks more or less right. I haven't got the tape measure out but I seem to remember reading that it's 29." If the weather ever gets any better I'll go for a ride and find the biggest thing I can secure my bike to with it (y)
We ordered two for that very reason
The quoted length is 600mm from memory

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
The quoted length is 600mm from memory

Nope. 736mm, 29 inches or one and a bit smallish Cocker Spaniels (y):D

Screen Shot 2016-06-01 at 17.52.27.png
IMG_0372.JPG
IMG_0371.JPG

Reactions: DBK

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
They are aiming for delivery within 14 days now - how have peeps found them?

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
I know this is an oldish thread, but was this ever resolved.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I know this is an oldish thread, but was this ever resolved.

I have seen reports of seriously bad design in this device, maybe YouTube where one was wrenched apart very easily. The security wires are just crimped into the lock part with no more than a bit of friction of the crimp securing the band.

Don't buy without some research.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I'm more than happy with mine. No problems, long enough, no stolen bike. Build quality is fine as far as I'm concerned. Sold Secure Gold is as good as it gets in this country.

I bought it to use with my road bike so it was all about the weight for me. There's nothing else this light in the same class.

I know I could probably get a cheap one that would be lighter but I may as well not bother locking the bike up as do that.

Zepp

Free Member
Jun 22, 2008
Roaming
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years
I have seen reports of seriously bad design in this device, maybe YouTube where one was wrenched apart very easily. The security wires are just crimped into the lock part with no more than a bit of friction of the crimp securing the band.

Don't buy without some research.

These were on my wish list for when we get our new bikes Ive just watched the video on youtube also the one with the grinder 17 seconds to cut through it nothing is safe if someone wants to steal it.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
These were on my wish list for when we get our new bikes Ive just watched the video on youtube also the one with the grinder 17 seconds to cut through it nothing is safe if someone wants to steal it.

So if I lock my bike to a vice on a bench in a workshop someone might get through the lock quicker.

Thanks (y)

I'll be sure never to do that :rolleyes:

Zepp

Free Member
Jun 22, 2008
Roaming
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years
So if I lock my bike to a vice on a bench in a workshop someone might get through the lock quicker.

Thanks (y)

I'll be sure never to do that :rolleyes:

Im not telling anybody what to do but a portable grinder is portable so chaining it to a fence or work bench is the same and for that sort of cash I think it should stand up to attack for more than 17 seconds

Last edited:

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
Well, clearly @NickNic has received his and that is grand, but may I please pull you back to my question as to wether the delivery problems have been sorted and others have received their ordered locks. :rolleyes:

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Just resurrecting this thread as I need some advice on bike locks.

I now have my super duper lecky bike and need something to secure it when I park somewhere.
The bike will be kept in the MH garage protected by VanBitz's best but I will need to lock it when out and about. Don't intend riding into downtown Jo'burg or anywhere dodgy, mainly villages and small town shopping and sightseeing in France, Spain and UK.
I always liked the idea of the Litelok and think I might buy a pair for the extra flexibility they give. There seems to be a lot of discussion going on about just how effective the Litelok actually is but it is Sold Secure Gold rated so can't be bad surely, can it?

I know that @NickNic is pleased with his but does anyone else have experience of using them?
I really would prefer not to have to cart a great heavy lump of steel around if there is a good alternative that's also better looking.

Richard.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Just tried to watch the 3 videos. 2 have been pulled due to defamation complaints. Makes me wish I had seen them when they were working.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Hi Richard
Lite Lok is not long enough to secure a bike to anything - a couple linked together maybe, but then you're looking at over 2kg weight
I'd suggest a decent 'Gold' rated chain, which you can use to secure your bike to an immovable object. We also carry D locks which are great for liking both our bikes to each other.
If you decide to buy LiteLoks let me know as I may sell mine

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
I've never had a problem locking my bike up just using one (y)

I don't deliberately choose the biggest trees I can find though just to make sure it's not long enough (y):D2

I'm not stupid Nick

I always find the appropriate diameter section of a tree to fix my bike too

IMG_7292.JPG

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
The other thing I guess might make a difference is that I've only used mine with my road bike so skinny frame, skinny wheels.

It's tight but it's supposed to be. Excess slack on a lock or chain is the worst thing you can do.

To be fair using just one with my mountain bike might be pushing it. I wouldn't be all that bothered though because weight obviously isn't as critical with an MTB.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
The other thing I guess might make a difference is that I've only used mine with my road bike so skinny frame, skinny wheels.

It's tight but it's supposed to be. Excess slack on a lock or chain is the worst thing you can do.

To be fair using just one with my mountain bike might be pushing it. I wouldn't be all that bothered though because weight obviously isn't as critical with an MTB.
Mine is an E bike with a fairly chunky aluminium frame - so is Mrs C's bike.
The LiteLoks would be ok for linking the bikes together, but I prefer D locks as they have a clasp which clips them to the frame when not in use.

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp

Yes you need to have it stretched taught it makes cutting through easier and quicker.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Yes you need to have it stretched taught it makes cutting through easier and quicker.

You obviously don't know how a Litelok is constructed. If you wanted to try cutting through one tight or slack would make no difference whatsoever.

Show me any lock or chain with loads of slack, no matter how good, and I'll show you how to steal the bike in less than a minute. No I'm not going to post how on here.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Mine is an E bike with a fairly chunky aluminium frame - so is Mrs C's bike.
The LiteLoks would be ok for linking the bikes together, but I prefer D locks as they have a clasp which clips them to the frame when not in use.

And as ebikes weigh about 11billion kg carrying an extra couple of kilos of lock doesn't make a lot of difference. (y)

Never been a huge fan of D locks.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
https://www.evanscycles.com/abus-gr...esvaid=50080&gclid=CI7G_6__odMCFYpAGwodyZUCWw
I've watched many YouTube videos, this one will withstand a 4min attack with an angle grinder, which is about as good as it gets...obviously not much good for securing to trees ;)

Sold Secure Gold rating, same as the Litelok, same as many others available.

I think on paper it's meant to be 5 minutes sustained attack.

Either way there is no higher standard available.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
And as ebikes weigh about 11billion kg carrying an extra couple of kilos of lock doesn't make a lot of difference. (y)
Hence why I let Mrs C carry our 'proper' chain bike lock in her front basket

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
You obviously don't know how a Litelok is constructed. If you wanted to try cutting through one tight or slack would make no difference whatsoever.

Show me any lock or chain with loads of slack, no matter how good, and I'll show you how to steal the bike in less than a minute. No I'm not going to post how on here.
Or maybe you don't?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back