Lite bike lock in production- may be of interest (1 Viewer)

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Well I suppose your bike is already carrying you so it makes sense to spread the load (y):D2

Like I said before, I'm not stupid.

I usually ride in the shopping basket on the front of Mrs C's bike too.
Just to make sure nobody steals the bike lock.

IMG_7293.JPG

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I remembered watching a video sometime ago and did a search for it. This is it.
Worth a watch. Look out for the locks that require 2 cuts to get open, and fit two.

seemed best of the batch. 2 of these?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
What do you chaps think about this Abus Bordo lock?
I like the idea that it folds up into a neat carrier that can be strapped onto the bike frame.
Quite expensive but then so is the bike.

https://www.evanscycles.com/abus-bordo-granit-x-plus-folding-lock-EV145848

http://road.cc/content/review/16663-abus-bordo-granit-x-plus-link-lock

Not too heavy, considerably lighter than any D lock worth having.

This review seems to have found a flaw though.

That's the thing though isn't it. No matter what the product there will be a flaw and a bad review out there somewhere. You've got to go with whatever you're confident to use.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I remembered watching a video sometime ago and did a search for it. This is it.
Worth a watch. Look out for the locks that require 2 cuts to get open, and fit two.

The New York Fahgettaboudit Mini seemed best of the batch. 2 of these?

When I get home I'll contact Sold Secure and see if they'll tell me what their definition of "sustained attack" is and whether a grinder plays any part in their testing.

If it doesn't perhaps it should.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I bought an OnGuard Brute lock (Sold Secure Gold) for our Bromptons to go along side the heavy duty ex-motorcycle lock we already have, thinking is that having 2 types of lock means 2 types of tools usually.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
The USP of the Litelok for me, and the reason I bought them, is the weight which when you're thinking in road bike terms is everything.

There's nothing else with Sold Secure Gold that's anywhere near as light.

Maybe they aren't perfect, I very much doubt that any lock on the market is unbeatable. What I do know is that my bike hasn't been stolen whilst locked up by one. I don't think there's anything else you can really say about a lock is there.

I've got motorcycle locks but they weigh more than my road bike so it would make no sense at all for me to use them. D locks are the same - any that I would trust weigh 2-3 times as much as a Litelok.

When you consider that the rough rule of thumb with a road bike is that once you get past entry level for each kg you reduce the weight of the bike by you spend about £500 carrying a couple of uncessary kilos of lock defeats the object of having a good bike to start with.

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Thanks everyone for your help and advice.
Having purchased what I think is a fairly stylish, if heavy, bike I don't want to spoil its looks by carting huge and ugly D locks and chains around if I can avoid them. For that reason the Litelok and the Abus folding link lock appeal.
@Robert Clark, if you want to sell your Litelok's I would be interested but I note that insurance companies insist on seeing a receipt for any locks involved in a theft claim so that may be a problem.
In the meantime I am going to order an Abus lock and will see how it goes.
We are investigating a bike for Kate at the moment so will need at least two, possibly three locks.

Richard.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back