LED H7 headlight bulbs upgrade - impressed (so far) (1 Viewer)

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
An interesting bit of reading arrived via my email inbox this morning, including MOT testing changes in January 2021

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
An interesting bit of reading arrived via my email inbox this morning, including MOT testing changes in January 2021

I think in the end it comes down to the individual tester as the rules are as clear as mud.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
I think in the end it comes down to the individual tester as the rules are as clear as mud.

The rules are perfectly clear, but as you say, it's down to the tester turning a blind eye, not noticing or acting on the new MOT update.

Section 4.1.4 now states the following:

“Existing halogen headlamp units should not be converted to be used with high intensity discharge (HID) or light emitting diode (LED) bulbs. If such a conversion has been done, you must fail the headlamp.”

Dec 31, 2010
Sunny South Shields
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin i7900
Exp
Since 2010
I would think that there's more chance of A classes passing than a coach built as they all use a different range of low and high beam bulb housing configuration's so bit of a minefield for the tester.

Aug 4, 2019
North East Riviera
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Enough to Survive
I‘m not too worried about the new MOT rules, my tester is very friendly,.

My new BULBS arrived today, but I can’t quite see how they will fit. It looks like I will need a major modification to my headlights to receive them.

F4CD4961-1C64-42F8-A78C-8828388215EF.jpeg

Even if I do get them in....how will i water them?

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Before I start, I know that most LED bulbs are not e-marked, and they work much better in general with projector headlamps rather than the old fashioned reflector headlamps that are fitted to Fiat Ducatos.

I have fitted these knowing that they aren’t authorised for road use, so please don’t remind me that they don’t conform thanks.

The reason that I’m so impressed is because over the years I have tried all sorts of bulbs in all my cars with differing results, but these have an identical beam pattern to the original halogen bulbs which suggests they won’t blind other road users. In the past I have removed bulbs that are too bright or have an awful beam pattern because I do not want to blind people. I just want to be able to see where I’m going.
(Frankly I think that halogen headlights should be banned as they are so dim, rubbish and dangerous.)

These LED bulbs were recommended by Bob Earnshaw on YouTube. His video is HERE and the link to Amazon is HERE.

If you decide to give them a try, remove the bulb base from the LED bulb and fit that into the bulb holder in the headlamp first. Then, fit the bulb and then twist until the bulb is VERTICAL** in the headlamp. Tuck the connectors in, leaving a bit of space for the headlamp adjustment mechanism to move freely.

**VERTICAL bulbs ensure that the beam of light is spread outwards, which reflects properly from the back of the headlight outwards, conforming to the original beam pattern. Any other angle and the light is cast all over the place. If you put them flat, the beam pattern is just awful and a telling off by pc plod would be imminent because the light that shines down from the bulb reflects upwards - into people’s faces.

I’ve attached some photos (LED passenger side, original candles driver side) and will update this thread once I’ve driven down a dark road somewhere to let you know how they actually perform in use.

EDIT: Don’t bother with the other LEDs that Bob tried in his video, the reviews look awful. I bought 2 pairs of the ones linked above, for dipped and main beam.

👍

I just read this article and thought of you. Be aware that at the next MOT your car will fail it's test now.

Brexit hopefully changes that. With astonishing clarity of thought and – bearing in mind what we’re seeing in other sectors – speed, the government issued an update to MOT testers. As of 1 January 2021, section 4.1.4 of the MOT Inspection manual reads: “Existing halogen headlamp units should not be converted to be used with high intensity discharge (HID) or light emitting diode (LED) bulbs. If such a conversion has been done, you must fail the headlamp.”

Full article about the reasons and problems here.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Sorry didn't read through the rest of the thread as I stopped following after the first couple of pages as I have no intention of making this upgrade.
Seems others have already pointed out the change to the MOT situation.

Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
I too considered fitting leds to my van but after stumbling across this post and other similar ones I decided to wait and see how others fared 're mots.
Threads on here have convinced me i have made right decision not to fit.
Instead I fitted Racing Vision bulbs and although I can't compare them to leds (never had them) I can report they are far superior to standard halogen.....and they passed mot.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Could still return mine by the end of the month. I like the result and being projector lamps I doubt if they will get picked up on an MOT and I have a friendly MOT man, so I will keep them.

Jan 3, 2017
Huntly
Funster No
MH
Frankia i640 SD
Exp
Since 2004
And me...................when I get around to changing them. ;)

Cheers,

Jock. :)
Well I fitted them and I felt slightly under whelmed. Wasn’t a proper test as it wasn’t pitch black. Could be back to the fog lights as Plan B. Tried that once and no one flashed me. Be a while before the wheels roll again.

Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
Humble apologies for revamping this thread but it has now been quite a while since it first appeared...
I was wondering if there is any feed back from Funsters who have made this upgrade and how they got on re' mots.
I am sure others will also be interested in the outcome..
Again sorry and thanks.👍👍

Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
I fitted them and really pleased with the results I also didn’t need to make any adjustments to the beam pattern overall a good cheap upgrade
Thanx for reply Poutie57 and yes they do "appear" to be a good upgrade BUT it was really feedback from anyone who has put them through an MOT and how they got on .. passed or failed... and any relevant comments made by tester I am interested with.
Thanks.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Had my MOT last Friday and it passed with the LED bulbs, two things in its favor, the MOT guy I use is pretty laid back and with my style of headlamps with LED DRL's & Indicators built in it looks like LED bulbs could be a standard fit.

Only got around last week to adjusting the height of them, good job I did, I'd forgotten I'd put them back to LHD.
I've now found some bulb holder clips for the LED bulbs, not fitted them yet as I knew the beam pattern was good & didn't want to disturb them.

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2017
Maidstone, UK
Funster No
MH
Laika Kreos 5009
Exp
Since 2010
My van passed its mot last month with the led’s. Speaking the tester he said they were absolutely fine however he did say a lot of cheaper conversions fail because they flicker and even though the owner can’t see it the mot testing station can
I’ve now used them at night and I must say what a difference they make

Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
Good luck for you, but how the hell does that tally with post #244? All very confusing.
Think it's a case of "how lucky do you feel" and "are you a gambling man".
If it fails at one station go elsewhere and they MAY pass it.
Seems to me it is totally on what mood tester is in when he does your vehicle.

Al n Val

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2019
West Yorkshire occasionally
Funster No
MH
Rapido i1090 Distinc
Exp
since 2018
For anyone that may be interested I’ll be selling the 4 halogen bulbs soon when i remove them from the Comanche as it’s being px’d
I’ll guess they been used no more than 10 hours

Al

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
My MOT garage have confirmed, led 'converts' as ok.
That's me happy!
He obviously doesn't know the MOT rules but all of us have fitted them so far have had a pass.
A lot off them don't seem bothered if the beam pattern is correct.

Jan 27, 2009
Leyland Lancs
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2001
He obviously doesn't know the MOT rules but all of us have fitted them so far have had a pass.
A lot off them don't seem bothered if the beam pattern is correct.
So what did your garage say when you told them they 'didn't know' the rules, and had issued you with an 'illegal' MOT Pass, which you knowingly accepted?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
So what did your garage say when you told them they 'didn't know' the rules, and had issued you with an 'illegal' MOT Pass, which you knowingly accepted?
Not stupid enough to tell or ask.
If you read my earlier posts you would have seen that I mentioned that my headlamps look like LED could be a standard fit.

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
I seldom have cause to drive at night but was forced into it one very dark night last year in Germany.
My 2019 Ducato headlights are so poor they are dangerous. I was having to slow down to less than 30mph at times.
I bought a set of these but haven't tried them in proper dark yet. I had them on early one morning last month and they were certainly brighter but are focused to close to the front of the van. Are the headlights re-aligned after conversion? Or do you have to wait for the MOT tester to reset them?

They are easy to fit or change at MOT time. Only two screws on my 2019 van.

s-l1600 (2).jpg

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back