LED H7 headlight bulbs upgrade - impressed (so far) (1 Viewer)

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I seldom have cause to drive at night but was forced into it one very dark night last year in Germany.
My 2019 Ducato headlights are so poor they are dangerous. I was having to slow down to less than 30mph at times.
I bought a set of these but haven't tried them in proper dark yet. I had them on early one morning last month and they were certainly brighter but are focused to close to the front of the van. Are the headlights re-aligned after conversion? Or do you have to wait for the MOT tester to reset them?

They are easy to fit or change at MOT time. Only two screws on my 2019 van.

View attachment 557259
Those are the ones that all of us that have fitted them on this thread have used.

You will probably need these, as the standard clips won't hold them in place.

Make sure you fit them with the LED vertical so it matches the orientation of the tungsten filament.
I found I had to lower the beam alignment quite a bit.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
I didn't notice a problem on my 2019 Ducato when I fitted them and they are still in position after a year.
I'll have another look tomorrow
Maybe the fitting is different on standard headlamps mine are Hella Projector lamps and use a clip similar to the ones I linked to hold the bulbs in and the one's for halogen bulbs won't hold the LED's in place.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 9, 2019
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 632
Exp
Since Sept 2019
What have owners of Ducato based x250 2012ish vehicles Fitted? H7? Or H4? I’m sure others out there will want an answer and feedback on effectiveness of the lamps for this.

Cheers!

Russ

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
What have owners of Ducato based x250 2012ish vehicles Fitted? H7? Or H4? I’m sure others out there will want an answer and feedback on effectiveness of the lamps for this.

Cheers!

Russ
They will be H7 as they have a separate bulb for main beam.

Jan 11, 2018
Malvern Link, Malvern, UK
Funster No
MH
Chausson Welcome 85
Exp
Since 2018
Just to ask a question for clarity.
Are both main and dipped bulbs the same (H7) and is the socket and retaining clip and connection also the same?
I have an X250 in mind.
TIA

Al n Val

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2019
West Yorkshire occasionally
Funster No
MH
Rapido i1090 Distinc
Exp
since 2018
m
Just to ask a question for clarity.
Are both main and dipped bulbs the same (H7) and is the socket and retaining clip and connection also the same?
I have an X250 in mind.
TIA
mine were the same as far as I remember

i’ll be putting my 4 led bulbs on the classifieds if anyone is interested

Al

John Barrett

Free Member
Jan 19, 2020
Hamble, Southampton.
Funster No
MH
One Eyed in Hamble!
Exp
Since 2012
Talking of LED Headlights, my Mazda has these clever ones where I can leave it on main beam all of the time, and it works automatically in Europe too! Coupled with the whizz Bang HUD it is all Amazing!

Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
I have followed these retro fit led headlights with interest.
Everyone says how absolutely great they are compared to halogens which Funsters are saying they are struggling to see the road ahead with.
HOWEVER... is it really rubbish halogen lights, after all we have all used them for years with no apparent problems.
It is a proven fact that as one ages their night vision diminishes and none of us are getting any younger.
Yes Led's may help but could the real issue be our eyesight ain't what it used to be. Yes you may still have 20/20 vision but not in the dark but with diminished night vision.!

John Barrett

Free Member
Jan 19, 2020
Hamble, Southampton.
Funster No
MH
One Eyed in Hamble!
Exp
Since 2012
I have followed these retro fit led headlights with interest.
Everyone says how absolutely great they are compared to halogens which Funsters are saying they are struggling to see the road ahead with.
HOWEVER... is it really rubbish halogen lights, after all we have all used them for years with no apparent problems.
It is a proven fact that as one ages their night vision diminishes and none of us are getting any younger.
Yes Led's may help but could the real issue be our eyesight ain't what it used to be. Yes you may still have 20/20 vision but not in the dark but with diminished night vision.!
Agreed. The many tunnels encountered on our recent trip were quite daunting!

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
The standard Ducato headlamps aren't brilliant but they are acceptable but the Hella Projector lamps used in A Class's are dreadful.
With the LED bulbs my headlamps are quite good but my cars standard Halogen headlamps are better.

Al n Val

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2019
Funster No
MH
Rapido i1090 Distinc
Exp
since 2018
I think one of the issues, especially for me is that all my last few cars, BMW’s and Volvo’s have had amazing LED headlights which highlighted (pardon the pun) just how appalling the Ducati ones were. I refused/hated driving the moho after dark unless on a motorway,

So fitting these LED replacement was quite simply a revelation and allow me to be able to drive a lot more safely at night

Al

OldCodger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 1, 2017
Surrey, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016
I think one of the issues, especially for me is that all my last few cars, BMW’s and Volvo’s have had amazing LED headlights which highlighted (pardon the pun) just how appalling the Ducati ones were. I refused/hated driving the moho after dark unless on a motorway,

So fitting these LED replacement was quite simply a revelation and allow me to be able to drive a lot more safely at night

Al
Hi Al

That’s my reason for asking. The eyes need more lumens these days..

Edited spell chuckle error…

Last edited:

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp

Al
Yours is an A Class with the Hella projector lamps, they were originally fitted to BMW's. :LOL:
30 years ago. :giggle:

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp

Al
Yours is an A Class with the Hella projector lamps, they were originally fitted to BMW's. :LOL:

Al n Val

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2019
Funster No
MH
Rapido i1090 Distinc
Exp
since 2018
Nope

mine is a Comanche fitted with dim halogens Lenny 😢 hence fitting the LED’s

the new A class I get jan 5th next year 👍

are you saying the 30 year old Hellas will be good or rubbish, please don’t say rubbish 🤣

Al n Val

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2019
Funster No
MH
Rapido i1090 Distinc
Exp
since 2018
Hi Al

That’s my reason for asking. The eyes need more lumens these days..

Edited spell chuckle error…
Honestly of all the upgrades i’ve done on the Comanche since buying it 3 years ago this one has been probably the most significant.
I’ve been asked/told by the dealer before I take it in for px to strip it of all the extras and upgrades and these bulbs will be going up for sale very soon.
You will not regret replacing your dim crap halogens for led’s

it’s like having new eyes fitted 🤣

Al

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
the new A class I get jan 5th next year
I was going by your profile.
are you saying the 30 year old Hellas will be good or rubbish, please don’t say rubbish
Total rubbish, the worst headlights you will ever come across.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Interesting comment Lenny HB.
Are you saying retro fitted led's MAY not be any better than properly fitted halogens ?
No what I was saying is the halogen headlamps are better in my old Kia Venga than the Hella projectors in the Motorhome with the LED bulbs.
The standard halogen bulbs in the motorhome projector headlamps are dimmer than the DRL's pretty useless.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
So is there a remedy then and can you share it with us?, surely a brand new Motorhome will have LED headlights i'd have though these days
I think Carthago C Line and upwards have, most others it's a £1000 to £1500 extra.

Fitting the LED bulbs is a massive improvement to the stand ones makes them just about acceptable.

Nov 9, 2015
Addingham, West Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7099f
Exp
Veteran
Brilliant posts thank you for sharing your experiences.

you mention the Osram Laser, this link may help owners find the right replacement Osram Bulb ( I suspect Osram may have a sudden spate of orders for these )

Nov 9, 2015
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7099f
Exp
Veteran

LED H7 headlight bulbs upgrade - unimpressed (so far) 😜

Ive put new led H7s in my 2007 Ducato. Good so far. The H7s are sidelight/dipped beams bu5 mine not had one yellow spot on them.
For whatever reason I bought H4s for the main beans but they didn’t fit bit had 2 yellow spots on them 😩
I went to Halfords and got basic halogen brighter bulbs but they didn’t light at all.
i dont know if they work did before but the lights were so bad I thought at 9ne point the6 were off!
I changed the fuses for the dipped main beams and the main beams. But still nothing.
I then saw mention of an optional fuse box by the right cent4al post with a side light fuse in it😊
I don’t have one of those😫

I’m not mechanically minded but I’m also not stupid. Can anyone please shed some light on what could be wrong ?
in the photo B is the H7 and C just doesn’t light up.
Ive not tried with the engine on as I’m parked up……..
please help👍🏻Thanks.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    871.7 KB · Views: 18
Nov 9, 2015
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7099f
Exp
Veteran
Brilliant posts thank you for sharing your experiences.

you mention the Osram Laser, this link may help owners find the right replacement Osram Bulb ( I suspect Osram may have a sudden spate of orders for these )

It is the lateral spred that blinds oncoming traffic when passing on country lanes.
Well my Ducato passed its mot with lights that are so abysmal they work as well when they are off as when they are on.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back