LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
I've been crocheting a unicorn for about 4 months or more... Aaaaagh.. I keep giving up!

IIn the meantime finally finished my Wonky Ted. Really struggled. My eyes hurt.

IMG_20190909_192509.jpg
IMG_20190909_192526.jpg

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Hi. Just logged on to rant.

I really struggle with this craft work. .. Yyesterday started to crochet some fingerless gloves (which I hope to make individual).. And the pattern turned out nit to be English so the dc was tc.. Then it went into a stitch I struggled with but video helped me.. (fpdc).

AAfter four repeats of pattern I am supposed to have 30 stitches... I had 45..couldn't work out why.. Gave up and undid.

Resorted to a knitted pattern.
"cast on 35 stitches.. And work 12 rows k1 p1"

I did. Looked at work and it wasnt like hazy photo... It was ribbed!!! Video says to rib start with EVEN number of stitches. :(.

TThis would probably have been obvious to knitters and pattern error spotted at beginning.. But I cannot knit... Now undone again and got mental block. Annoyed at silly pattern.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Resorted to a knitted pattern.
"cast on 35 stitches.. And work 12 rows k1 p1"

I did. Looked at work and it wasnt like hazy photo... It was ribbed!!! Video says to rib start with EVEN number of stitches. :(.

TThis would probably have been obvious to knitters and pattern error spotted at beginning.. But I cannot knit... Now undone again and got mental block. Annoyed at silly pattern.

With an even number of stitches you do every row K1P1 for rib but an odd number will start one row as K1P1 and the other row P1K1. I remember by thinking the stitch you knit on odd rows is purled on even rows and the other way round.

I also pulled out the work I did on the celtic shawl I started........ then actually started to read the instructions at the start of the book and I am starting with a sample swatch. Hey ho. I still think that if I can master it I will have a fabulous set of pattern stitches to go round sweaters but it's not easy.

OP
OP
snailtrailer
Oct 18, 2012
Wortham Diss
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
Motorhomed for almost 7 years - now going nowhere!
Promised you a photo of the latest quilts - both for grandsons. That makes a total of seven for the grandchildren.

The ‘not yet born’ great granddaughter has a tiny baby blocks quilt for lying on as a playmat. It seems I didn’t take a photo of that - perhaps get one later when she’s using it.

Attachments

• EFB13A1A-8348-43C8-BFF7-C528A9C69727.jpeg
    EFB13A1A-8348-43C8-BFF7-C528A9C69727.jpeg
    159.6 KB · Views: 27
  • 9E20B5B3-CE17-4384-B196-7F97EC8FAD2E.jpeg
    9E20B5B3-CE17-4384-B196-7F97EC8FAD2E.jpeg
    140.4 KB · Views: 26

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Knitting. What doesit mean please...

knit one, yarn forward twice

How can you bring the yarn forward TWICE? :(

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
I was out hooked by my mother, of all people. My purple throw has stalled, completely. It was for the motorhome but I now have one for there!

My mums throw.

Not a very good piccie.

View attachment 330481

But very colourful. We've just about adjusted to it!
Judith you made me thus lovely cushion ! Thankyou !
CC54D449-4B91-465C-ACC9-B1B3FF6423CC.jpeg

Last edited:

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Or is it for making a hole for a lacy pattern? Either way you bring the yarn forward then around the needle and the forward again.

Thank you... But I'm totally dense.

So I bring the yarn forward. . Then do you mean I wrap it over the top of the right hand needle to the back. Then through to the front again? Sorry tobe a pain.. Not started the sweater yet... Just forward planning. I will post pic of pattern. Think it to create a hole.

Xx

Aug 9, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hobby 615 af
Exp
2 weeks
Thank you... But I'm totally dense.

So I bring the yarn forward. . Then do you mean I wrap it over the top of the right hand needle to the back. Then through to the front again? Sorry tobe a pain.. Not started the sweater yet... Just forward planning. I will post pic of pattern. Think it to create a hole.

Xx
Not being a pain or dense at all!!
Will be right back, digging out some needles and yarn to make sure i'm getting it right!

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
Knitting. What does it mean please...

knit one, yarn forward twice

How can you bring the yarn forward TWICE? :(

Either wrap the yarn round the needle twice to make a big hole......

Or knit one, bring the yarn forward (and then over the needle to make a hole) and then do the same again? Without seeing the pattern instructions it is difficult to know :(

In Japan instructions and charts are standard and you are expected to know what each symbol means but in the UK every pattern writer appears to have his or her own system. I ripped out all the knitting I had done on the pattern from the book from my daughter yesterday ...... went to the start of the book and read the introduction to find that her "5 in 1" stitch is completely different to the lace "5 in !" I have been working with. Before I start again I am going to do a sample square of one pattern repeat and two ends :)

Aug 9, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hobby 615 af
Exp
2 weeks
Just had a practice, yes, bring the yarn to the front of the work between the needles, around the back and in front again then knit the next stitch as required. That makes two stitches and on the following row you probably purl these together. Hope that helps a little , if not ask again!

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
Puddleduck, that sounds very complicated, not to say frustrating!

Keeps the mind active though!

I doubt I will make much from the actual book but will use the cable patterns around the hem or yoke of sweaters ....... unless I make a the narrow shawl and use it as a detachable collar :)

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Well finished first pair of fingerless gloves. Can be used open or turned back when working.. Quite pleased with them. My next pair will be plain in anticipation of the NEXT pair after that which will be extremely adventurous.. Dah dah. :)

IMG_20190912_092000.jpg

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Here I go again. Help please.

Only part I wasn't pleased with was the casting on of the rib. I used two needle method.. Thumb method means I cannot get needle into first line. It was loopier than I would like.

You tube gives all tutorials for casting on in rib but I couldn't cope with that... A sort of funny spreading wool between forefinger and thumb type of thing. Certain I never used to do that. :(

Help please how to be less loopy.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
I have never cast on in rib! I use the ‘cable’ method which is a bit more stretchy. Like this but I don’t twist the stitch like she does in the video.

That is my "go to" method (no twist) as well. It gives a solid edge with a bit of give and looks good.

I have a book called (I think) "Cast On, Bind Off" which has several methods of cast on and off and which has made me expand my repertoire !!

Jul 28, 2018
Monmouthshire
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R
Exp
Was a campervanner, now a motohomer
Yoohoo!
In the spirit of ‘thinking about it’ (an important and sometimes lengthy stage before getting ‘around to it’). I was wondering if a crochet hanging basket would be handy in the Motorhome somewhere or if it would be yet another ‘must have’ that gets quietly put away forever. The people who owned our van before us had a rail put up at the end, and another on the toilet wall side, of the transverse bed. Presently they are used for drying towels and Could I have useful hanging baskets there or would I get my foot caught in it during the night and wake thinking I was being ensnared by pirates or kidnapped or something?
What you think?

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
@Ven.I went to the library today to print the pattern for your hearts. . I used the link on your post but when it came up it was for a HUGE heart. I thought they were small ones. Have I got it wrong or is it a different link sunshine?

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
This is a nice idea. This charity collects knitted bears to give to children who have ended up in emergency care.

Aug 9, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hobby 615 af
Exp
2 weeks
@puddlduck, that's the
Yoohoo!
In the spirit of ‘thinking about it’ (an important and sometimes lengthy stage before getting ‘around to it’). I was wondering if a crochet hanging basket would be handy in the Motorhome somewhere or if it would be yet another ‘must have’ that gets quietly put away forever. The people who owned our van before us had a rail put up at the end, and another on the toilet wall side, of the transverse bed. Presently they are used for drying towels and Could I have useful hanging baskets there or would I get my foot caught in it during the night and wake thinking I was being ensnared by pirates or kidnapped or something?
What you think?

????? -you mean now i have to worry about marauding pirates as well as being gassed!!!????????

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back