Jul 28, 2018
Monmouthshire
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R
Exp
Was a campervanner, now a motohomer
@puddlduck, that's the

????? -you mean now i have to worry about marauding pirates as well as being gassed!!!????????
Well yes of course - but only if you create a fetching handsome well-made hanging basket, place it at the end of your Moho bed and get a toe or three caught up in it, while asleep, after a drinkypoo or two ????⛵️?????

Aug 9, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hobby 615 af
Exp
2 weeks
Well yes of course - but only if you create a fetching handsome well-made hanging basket, place it at the end of your Moho bed and get a toe or three caught up in it, while asleep, after a drinkypoo or two ????⛵?????
I thought for a minute i was going to have to crochet a fetching handsome pirate! As if i would have a drinkypoo or three whilst relaxing, who does that??...........???????????

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Ven

Aug 15, 2008
East Sussex and beyond
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2009
Yoohoo!
In the spirit of ‘thinking about it’ (an important and sometimes lengthy stage before getting ‘around to it’). I was wondering if a crochet hanging basket would be handy in the Motorhome somewhere or if it would be yet another ‘must have’ that gets quietly put away forever. The people who owned our van before us had a rail put up at the end, and another on the toilet wall side, of the transverse bed. Presently they are used for drying towels and Could I have useful hanging baskets there or would I get my foot caught in it during the night and wake thinking I was being ensnared by pirates or kidnapped or something?
What you think?
I think yarn baskets can be really handy in a mh - light, practical and won’t break. I guess only you know whether you’ll get tangled up in them though ;)
@Ven.I went to the library today to print the pattern for your hearts. . I used the link on your post but when it came up it was for a HUGE heart. I thought they were small ones. Have I got it wrong or is it a different link sunshine?

That is the right pattern but you can make it as big as small as you like by using a thinner yarn and a smaller needle. I have made a selection, I’ll take a picture and post it along with what the yarns were and hook size to give you a rough idea if that would help? It might be tomorrow though x

OP
OP
snailtrailer
Oct 18, 2012
Wortham Diss
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
Motorhomed for almost 7 years - now going nowhere!
What would you do?
Or rather what should I do?
I started this baby jacket a few days ago I’ve got as far as completing back and left front and discovered a mistake, third pattern up.
Should I
a) unpick it
b) finish it and give it to charity
c) let it go to Katy and say nothing and hope others won’t spot the mistake
There is a fourth option - make a second back and sides and hope I have enough yarn to finish.

While I await your answers I will get on with knitting the sleeves.
D601562E-6A86-4EE9-91C7-2276D8450A5A.jpeg
D4EFB22A-EEBD-49B9-B0E3-B3B30D507F69.jpeg

Ven

Aug 15, 2008
East Sussex and beyond
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2009
What would you do?
I started this baby jacket a few days ago I’ve got as far as completing back and left front and discovered a mistake, third pattern up.
Should I
a) unpick it
There is a fourth option - make a second back and sides and hope I have enough yarn to finish.

While I await your answers I will get on with knitting the sleeves.View attachment 331154View attachment 331155

I cannot see anything wrong either so I would gift as originally planned.

OP
OP
snailtrailer
Oct 18, 2012
Wortham Diss
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
Sorry I could have helped. In the close-up I have accidently repeated one of the rows so you get a double row of holes. Three patterns up - it's obvious now isn't it.

Aug 9, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hobby 615 af
Exp
2 weeks
Well i looked and looked too but seriously couldn't find it until i read your last post. I usually take things out if i go wrong but that is so difficult to spot i dont think i would. Besides, i learnt that japanese crafts people leave mistakes in their work as is all part of the items journey so now i am happier to leave it in if its not obvious

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Auntie Pam you are knitting a lovely matinee jacket for your granddaughters baby with love in every stitch !
She won’t notice or care so don’t you in pick it!!
It is amazing !!

When my girls were born my M I L and Auntie knitted wonderful outfits which were always admired and we loved that they were made with love!?

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Well i looked and looked too but seriously couldn't find it until i read your last post. I usually take things out if i go wrong but that is so difficult to spot i dont think i would. Besides, i learnt that japanese crafts people leave mistakes in their work as is all part of the items journey so now i am happier to leave it in if its not obvious

Well knock me down with a feather. Suddenly I really like Japanese crafters. :)

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Leave it as a design feature :) As it is an all in one back and fronts jacket it isn't obviously an error as it would have been if only one front had been affected.

Only God is perfect ......

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
What would you do?
Should I
a) unpick it

While I await your answers I will get on with knitting the sleeves.View attachment 331154

View attachment 331155

Keep going. All Persian, Afghani, Middle Eastern hand made rugs and carpets have a deliberate “ mistake” in them as the makers believe only Allah can create perfection. And they still sell for 1000s so you’re up there with the best. It looks lovely.

OP
OP
snailtrailer
Oct 18, 2012
Wortham Diss
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
I have decided to finish the little pale lemon jacket and if I have time to make a couple of other little cardigans then I won't need this one and can give it to Norfolk Knitters and Stitchers. So far I've made a little white cardigan with a fancy border, started a very pale pink one (also 3ply) and could make a darker pink jacket in 4 ply. That will be enough first size. Katy already has at least one matinee coat that I made for her as a baby - hence my reluctance to perpetuate my mistake into the next generation. ?

Thank you all for your useful comments. I think the Amish have the same thought with their quilts - only God is perfect.

Nov 13, 2017
Pembrokeshire, Greece and everywhere in between
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 750
That is my "go to" method (no twist) as well. It gives a solid edge with a bit of give and looks good.

I have a book called (I think) "Cast On, Bind Off" which has several methods of cast on and off and which has made me expand my repertoire !!
I do cable cast on for a firm edge but when I want it more stretchy (cuffs etc) I use one which entails casting on half the number of stitches required in a different /contrasting yarn, knitting a couple of rows, then joining the working yarn for a couple of rows starting with a knit row, then on the purl row picking up the loops between the sts to give the right number.
That’s a really bad explanation but I don’t know what it’s called to look it up! It’ll probably be in your book, Puddleduck. It gives a nice rounded edge.
What would you do?
Should I
a) unpick it
Sorry but I would have to unpick it to the mistake. But I’m a fast knitter and it’s only a tiny jacket. Everyone is different.
I love the pattern. I much prefer to make all in one backs and fronts on baby jackets as they’re so small the side seams seem bulky.

Ambilkate

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 15, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
HYMER 654
Exp
since 2006
Hi everyone been a while since I was on this thread. Need some advise need a border for a Tunisian crochet blanket I've made for my mom for her surprise birthday present, it's curling up at the ends I've already tried a single crochet border and not sure it's working was thinking of folding it and doubling it up so it would be more or less the same thickness of the Tunisian stitch but then the corners would be to bulky any ideas
IMG_20190916_135301.jpg
IMG_20190916_135646.jpg

Aug 9, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hobby 615 af
Exp
2 weeks
That's lovely but i am sorry, i have no experience of edging.

Aug 9, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hobby 615 af
Exp
2 weeks
Had a quick google as on way out, attic 24 have videoes showing lay flat edgings si may be worth a look?

OP
OP
snailtrailer
Oct 18, 2012
Wortham Diss
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
Hello Kate Ambilkate
Although Shrimp showed me how to do tunisian crochet I haven't made anything. Perhaps she'll pick up on this with advice.

It does look really lovely. Wondering if a lacy border might relieve some of the tension of the tunisian crochet to enable it to lay flat.

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
Apparently you block Tunisian Crochet the same way as Crochet or knitting.
Don’t have too much tension on Tunisian.
On the first ‘run’ picking up the bars make sure you pick up the front & the back stitches on the very last one before working back down the needle.
I’ve not thought about borders & not seen any don’t know if there is anything on the Internet.
I have a blanket made of Tunisian that my Grandma made me about 50 yrs ago, she edged the 2 short ends with tassels-just 3 or 4 threads on each/every other stitch.

Ambilkate

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 15, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
HYMER 654
Exp
since 2006
Apparently you block Tunisian Crochet the same way as Crochet or knitting.
Don’t have too much tension on Tunisian.
On the first ‘run’ picking up the bars make sure you pick up the front & the back stitches on the very last one before working back down the needle.
I’ve not thought about borders & not seen any don’t know if there is anything on the Internet.
I have a blanket made of Tunisian that my Grandma made me about 50 yrs ago, she edged the 2 short ends with tassels-just 3 or 4 threads on each/every other stitch.
Thankyou.would love yo see a pic of your blanket that your grandma made for you. I can understand her doing the tassel edge . I have so many threads to sew in. But a tassel edge could be incorporated in with the threads I've found a bit of info after googling for ages lol
Will let you know what I end up doing but will try blocking first thankyou again x Kate

Ambilkate

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 15, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
HYMER 654
Exp
since 2006
Hi Kate, welcome back. I have never done Tunisian crochet so can’t help but it looks great.

I am currently making a very cosy scarf/ wrap with some Aldi Aran yarn.
Love that stitch Ven what's it called. I've got to start a poncho for Amanda using this wool hope I have enough. X

Attachments

• IMG_20190917_103554.jpg
    IMG_20190917_103554.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 7

Ambilkate

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 15, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
HYMER 654
Exp
since 2006
I'm doing another similar blanket with Tunisian oblongs at min that's started to curl up as well so need to sort out best border to use. . Need to change project though getting fed up.
My mom bless her has told her local oap group that I will do them a blanket to raffle of for Xmas so will have to start that soon. Lol

Attachments

• IMG_20190917_103825.jpg
    IMG_20190917_103825.jpg
    179.9 KB · Views: 7

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Sorry I can't help with the Tunisian crochet as I have never done it.

I was in The Quaker Tapestry Museum (and Meeting House) in Kendal yesterday and will go again on Friday as there is just so much to take in. I bought the pattern for the Barrett Counterpane (knitting) and might make the squares using left over sock yarn. I think it would be too heavy otherwise. I will also probably only make a square or two of the exact pattern :) The original counterpane is in museum and worth a visit by itself. The actual tapestry is wonderful and inspiring and too much to take in at a single visit. I could have spent an hour in front of each panel and still not seen all there was to see.

I went not only because I wanted to see the tapestry (they have started on a panel for the tapestry the Australian Friends are making which was also in progress when I was there) but also as I found my ancestors and distant cousins were members of The Friends and part of the Kendal Meeting (as well as other nearby meetings). I didn't know the counterpane was there so that was a bonus even though not part of my family history.

Anyway I have been invited to join the service on Friday and probably will go.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back