Keswick. Better than Portugal! (1 Viewer)

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Keswick = Dog Heaven
DSC_5512~01.jpg
DSC_5517~01.jpg

We also use the CCC site.. great location close to town

OP
OP
Paul and Val
Sep 25, 2018
Funster No
MH
Chausson 628eb Ford 170
Exp
September 2019
Garlic and onions can cause toxic anemia in dogs. ... Mashed potatoes are actually okay for a dog to eat unless they contain sour cream, butter or gravy, which tend to be found in the typical mashed potato recipe. Rich foods like butter and gravy can give your dog diarrhea
I have never heard such nonsense in my entire life. What so you eat? Lettuce?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Garlic and onions can cause toxic anemia in dogs. ... Mashed potatoes are actually okay for a dog to eat unless they contain sour cream, butter or gravy, which tend to be found in the typical mashed potato recipe. Rich foods like butter and gravy can give your dog diarrhea
Ours eats meat, gravy, any veg, butter, marg, bread, anything she can steal off the worktop when your backs turned, never a days trouble.
She even likes Bisto.... Which has NEVER seen a cow or any other animal. Its even labelled suitable for vegetarians

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
I always thought that chocolate was very dangerous to give to dogs.
Well,it can be,but not always.......
Our standard poodle,long since dead but not from eating chocolate,once ate a whole,VERY large box of chocolates.Wasnt even sick,or any other problems.
Hey ho!

ABZSteve

Free Member
Banned
Jan 8, 2014
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
2018, Apache 634 150 Auto
Exp
Since 2015
Last time I went to Keswick it rained every day.
Last time I went to Portugal it was sunny every day.
Just staying.:D;);)
I must be lucky. Brilliant sunshine mostly for the 12 days I have been to Keswick over the last 4 years. Portugal always sunny too (y)

Last edited:

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Really? always put some leftover on our dogs dinner but then he weighs 32kg so probably no harm done (also eats the odd grape when he manages to steal one and chocolate)
When I were a lad my mum and dad had a dog that lived to 21yr old and my uncle had one that lived to 19 ...they both ate everything we did lol all the left overs
My uncle used to take them both to the shop and buy them an ice cream and a bar of chocolate each.

Changed days these days ....someone told me Apple cores were poisonous to dogs the other week so I had to go Google it to check

They are but only if they eat like 200 of them at once :D

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Hi.
Portugese Dogs and their place in Portugal.
There are lots of Feral dogs in Portugal and they have regular culls.Dogs were used as sentries in the days of the "Nasty" Police,they gave warning of strangers/anyone who may be about especially at night,so people could Move? if worried,a lot of houses had two/three gates to..leave by.
When looking for property we were advised don't by near a church. BELLS or BARKING dogs,i think it is now an offence to keep a dog on a chain on your property,a Black dog is last to be rescued because of its connections to the Devil. So as you can see,there is a different bonding between dogs and Porty people.
In the last couple of years though,it has become normal to see dogs being walked around towns on leads and some of the breeds are REALLY expensive to buy,so they are looked after well. Should you want to read some horror stories, go on Dogs of Portugal rescue site. Things are changing for the better,it seems the dog is moving from the Yard into the house...Perhaps next to a Restaurant near you and then "Infinity and beyond "(y)(y) (LOVE BUZZ(y)(y))
Tea Bag.. Pet less.. I SAID PET LESS! NOT POT LESS:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Spain's the same

They also throw them from cars , put them in bins, tie them to fences with leads standing on their tiptoes so they are slowly strangled etc.

Yes they have different attitudes to dogs over there.

When I adopted jade in Spain the woman who ran the shelter also mentioned the black dogs are harder to home thing.

She can be a little devil at times but mostly she's a little angel :D

ABZSteve

Free Member
Banned
Jan 8, 2014
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
2018, Apache 634 150 Auto
Exp
Since 2015
Derwentwater

IMG_0015.JPG

Caggsie1

Free Member
Sep 2, 2013
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2008
Our old, no longer with us, springer, cleared the Xmas tree of all Chocolates and ate all pressies under the tree that contained chocolate too. She didn’t bat an eyelid!

Caggsie1

Free Member
Sep 2, 2013
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2008
Just had a week at Braithwaite fold which is a ccc site, very close to Bowness Have stayed at the Oval which is further up the road to their Keswick site. I love both areas. I’ve been to Portugal once, flew and hotel, I haven’t been back. Not sure why, but it isn’t on my to do list.

Apr 25, 2014
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Overhead cab
Exp
8 years
We love Keswick too. Had many good days out there (we're in Lancaster so its only just over an hour up the motorway). Stayed in the campsite too. Its got everything a day tripper or motorhomer could want - lovely views and walks, a lake and steamer trips, a good variety of shops, cafes, pubs etc. A Booths and Co-op supermarket near the campsite on the way in to town.
For some reason it doesn't seem as rainy as a lot of the Lake District either.

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
I always thought that chocolate was very dangerous to give to dogs.
Hi.
Ben Fogle of TV Fames father was a vet and used to be on the "JY" prog (Whats the recipe today Jim?(y)) He was talking about "Mans best friend,the Dog"
" When all you have left to eat is a square of chocolate,man will split it in half and give half to the dog,however,if the dog gets it first..........................:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Best friend my.......Elbow:ROFLMAO:
Sassy in the avater,was a Multi Fuel burner,at the Bakewell show one year,we left some cheese topped buns,some extra cheese and some butter in the c/van while we did a tour. The wrappers they HAD been in were clean enough to wrap some more,the food.............................. gone:rolleyes:
Tea Bag

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
We've spent many happy holidays in the Lake district & found that most pubs & eating places welcomed dogs. Most even put out water bowls for dogs.
I adore exploring the nooks & crannies, the best way of enjoying the place is to just turn off the beaten track & wow is the whole area astonishing.
Our dogs love swimming but, we've recently lost one of our border collies & she left such a huge hole in our lives that we got a nice wee border collie pup, so he's never been to the Lakes, bring it on.
Here are the two dogs, we lost Georgie girl (she's the one with the cocked ear).
A swim 1.JPG

& here's the new addition, meet Gus.
Gus & an old fart..jpg

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
I've just been told that dogs are allowed in the outdoor area of 'Spoons at Keswick, but I've no idea what the setup is.

May 3, 2016
Ayrshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki
Keswick = Dog Heaven
View attachment 266944 View attachment 266945

We also use the CCC site.. great location close to town

We stayed on that site once a few years ago now in our caravan & to start with all was well, then we took our dogs for a swim, Georgie was on a lead but Gemma was not...….now we were not aware of their lead rule, but Gemma was under perfect control and we didn't own a lead for her because apart from when I trained her on a long line & when she went blind later in life she never needed one. Anyway bring on Atilla the Huns sister, the site warden with an attitude problem, now instead of telling us about the said rule (she knew we had only just joined in their site office having been delighted with the CCC site at Trout Beck) no she could not do that, she launched a tirade at us as if Gemma have savaged entire families in a couple of hundred yards, I think she had rabies herself the way he behaved and she certainly didn't subscribe to the 'friendly' part of the club name. We UN-joined when we got home.
On top of that Robert was really concerned about the children cycling AGAINST the one way route on the site, as we all know people are moving pretty large caravans & MH's and although it is lovely seeing and hearing children playing, it is dangerous when they are doing it AGAINST the flow of traffic. Robert mentioned this to the said Warden and the other staff in the office and she brushed his polite comments as total rubbish, the very same day in Rowntree Park in York a child was killed doing exactly the same thing that worried us.

Dognewf

Free Member
Nov 4, 2015
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
lunar newstar
Exp
1 whole year now
agree Keswick is great and dog friendly. we usually stay at Scotgate in Braithwaite. super facilities, good pubs mearby, yes dog friendly, and a regular bus into Keswick

john lillie

Banned
Life Ban
May 11, 2016
leicestershire
Funster No
MH
a class euramobil
Exp
25 years
I have a mate who lives in Portugal, he went there from Wales to escape the rain.... one day last week he had what he estimated to be 12" of torrential rain in one day! I have visited, and walked his dog with him, he lives "out in the sticks" where houses are well spaced, as we walked past, almost every house had a dog- chained up- that would start barking, before long there would be a cacophony of sound! Keswick is now on my list for next year's shakedown cruise.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Ive been camped out in in the sticks North of Alvore and every night was a howling fest. One would start, them the whole valley. If my dog was howling in the middle of the night, I'd stop it, but they just seem to ignore them and let them howl . Strange

Nov 24, 2008
Anywhere that takes our fancy
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since july 2009 And Still Going Strong
Ive been camped out in in the sticks North of Alvore and every night was a howling fest. One would start, them the whole valley. If my dog was howling in the middle of the night, I'd stop it, but they just seem to ignore them and let them howl . Strange

You'll normally find that once you get inside one of the old Portuguese houses with near meter thick walls you'd be lucky to hear armageddon happening outside. So they don't hear the dog or any one else's. As @Tea Bag mentioned dogs were warning alarms for anyone close by. As soon as its dark here were we are in rural Portugal the dogs start and pretty much continue till morning, then you'll see them sprawled out sleeping during the day, thats when its time for payback and you wake the buggers up lol.

We are away further north in Portugal at the moment and have been here since Wednesday and not had a moments silence since arriving, there is a hunt pack kept near by which don't stop. Think most of us get used to the barking, we do have friends that are selling though because their neighbours 4 dogs don't stop and after nearly 5 years they've finally had enough.

Not sure if the rule about dogs on chains has reached here though, still see many chained up with just long enough reach to the gate. Some look and are nasty and scare the s**t out of me but most are just all mouth. Ive normally a few biscuits in my pocket and that keeps them happy.

Shawn

May 3, 2016
Ayrshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki
Yes we are the same, we make sure we train in an 'off switch' for our dogs, unlike next door to us who although they are nice people actually taught a dog that sadly died to bark and the pup they brought up with him is the same...…..I have been heard to tell her to 'shut the :swear: up' on occasion because we cannot go outside without her starting.:banghead:

Rosemary1

Free Member
Jan 23, 2016
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
1 year
Just a quick note for the more "thrifty" Funsters, the Weathersoon's pub is the only one I know in Keswick that doesn't allow dogs in.
I think Weatherspoons really dislike dogs - we got asked to leave because we had 2 little dogs in the beer garden outside!

OP
OP
Paul and Val
Sep 25, 2018
Funster No
MH
Chausson 628eb Ford 170
Exp
September 2019
Portugal is a friendly place for dogs too, you just need to to get the right spot as in the case of Keswick...

Well while some dog owners have reported that Portugal was ok for dogs it was not our experience and Keswick is most certainly very different and far better for dog owners. As others have said, Whetherspoons was the only pub/restaurant that we found that barred dogs. They are accepted every where else which in our experience was very different to Portugal.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back