Keswick. Better than Portugal! (1 Viewer)

Sep 25, 2018
Funster No
MH
Chausson 628eb Ford 170
Exp
September 2019
Sorry, the above title is a slight wind up to the two people who I sent absolutely mad on another thread with when I made the very mildest of criticisms about our lack of welcome regarding both our little dogs and indeed our camping car when we recently visited Portugal.

My mother always told me to play nicely but I have never learnt.

Quite seriously if you are a dog owner then Keswick is the most amazing place. Everywhere welcomes dogs. I do mean everywhere.

There will be sad people who will relish the chance to post replies about how unhygienic dogs are and that they would not enter a restaurant or Pub if dogs were allowed inside. Excellent. It allows more room for me, my doggies and other dog owners. Such people would hate Keswick and I strongly recommend that they go elsewhere. Portugal perhaps?

Keswick is the most dog friendly place in Great Britain I am told and most restaurants have signs saying 'muddy boots and paws welcome here'. I fear that it is not just kindness but rather the lure of good hard cold cash that allows such indulgence. One Pub owner told me that he would close his doors the moment he started refusing dogs such is the demand of his clientele who bring dogs in when they eat.

My favourite place in the UK is now the Royal Oak in Keswick. A very good meal with excellent friendly service. Best of all is the bangers and mash with gravy that for £1.50 will be bought to the table with your main course so that your doggy pal can eat under the table at the same time. I swear that Margaux our little rescue dog was going to have her eyes burst out of her head when the two bowls were bought. She actually paused for a second and looked at me with an expression of. 'It can't be for me!' That was a split second before doing her impression of a Dyson vacuum cleaner by polishing off the lot and then spending the next hour washing out the bowl. (Cue response from 'dog hater of Tunbridge Wells in purple ink).

When we walked into the same Pub the next morning for breakfast she turned tight to sit under the same table. She is no fool when it comes to sausage and mash. By the way, note the fact that because we were welcomed and served so well we returned for breakfast, More profit for the place and good luck to them.

I will also say that I was blessed when a young man to be able to camp in the Lakes every weekend and would go hillwalking with my dog. Those days are long gone and this was our first return for about 25 years. We live in France and in the past I have not enjoyed our returns to the UK very much but for whatever reason this trip was a triumph and apart from Greece the UK was the best place that we visited on our 11 country 18.000km tour.

I really loved Keswick and we stayed there on our return from Skye (which was also stunning) as well, actually delaying our return to France by two days especially to spend more time there.

So if like us you love dogs. Go to Keswick. If you hate them go to Portugal!

May 3, 2016
Ayrshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki
I 100% agree with you, we have not had a holiday for a good few years now for reasons I won't go into because the story is too long and :swear: traumatic......but we always had holidays in the Lake District and loved the fact that we could take our dogs in with us for a meal, it makes good business sense and is great for us.
If any dog owners are in our neck of the woods there is a cracking place we often go to for a meal, the http://hollybushinn-ayrshire.co.uk/ they have an area that you can take your dogs into and the food is great, as are the staff who know our dogs well, they will be upset to learn that Georgie has passed away, but will fall in love with Gus our wee pup.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
Keswick is a favourite of mine also and I visit quite regularly as I live only an hour and a half away. The dog friendly eateries are one of the many attractions and our dogs are happy to sit under the table and hope we drop something! I haven’t yet taken Dillon (my dog) out for tea but will treat him to bangers and mash next time I’m there!!

Cheshirecat57

Free Member
Feb 3, 2018
Mid Cheshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years on and off
I have always thought that Keswick is just that little bit too far from Manchester/Liverpool for a quick day-trip........to it’s eternal BENEFIT

It is a world aparf from Windermere/Bowness, which far too many are under the impression is the ‘real’ lake district.......

I also think Keswick is brilliant, one of the (many) reasons we are down-sizing so that we can see more of it and beyond

ABZSteve

Free Member
Banned
Jan 8, 2014
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
2018, Apache 634 150 Auto
Exp
Since 2015
Sorry, the above title is a slight wind up to the two people who I sent absolutely mad on another thread with when I made the very mildest of criticisms about our lack of welcome regarding both our little dogs and indeed our camping car when we recently visited Portugal.

Quite seriously if you are a dog owner then Keswick is the most amazing place. Everywhere welcomes dogs. I do mean everywhere.

There will be sad people who will relish the chance to post replies about how unhygienic dogs are and that they would not enter a restaurant or Pub if dogs were allowed inside. Excellent. It allows more room for me, my doggies and other dog owners. Such people would hate Keswick and I strongly recommend that they go elsewhere. Portugal perhaps?

Keswick is the most dog friendly place in Great Britain I am told and most restaurants have signs saying 'muddy boots and paws welcome here'. I fear that it is not just kindness but rather the lure of good hard cold cash that allows such indulgence. One Pub owner told me that he would close his doors the moment he started refusing dogs such is the demand of his clientele who bring dogs in when they eat.

My favourite place in the UK is now the Royal Oak in Keswick. A very good meal with excellent friendly service. Best of all is the bangers and mash with gravy that for £1.50 will be bought to the table with your main course so that your doggy pal can eat under the table at the same time. I swear that Margaux our little rescue dog was going to have her eyes burst out of her head when the two bowls were bought. She actually paused for a second and looked at me with an expression of. 'It can't be for me!' That was a split second before doing her impression of a Dyson vacuum cleaner by polishing off the lot and then spending the next hour washing out the bowl. (Cue response from 'dog hater of Tunbridge Wells in purple ink).

When we walked into the same Pub the next morning for breakfast she turned tight to sit under the same table. She is no fool when it comes to sausage and mash. By the way, note the fact that because we were welcomed and served so well we returned for breakfast, More profit for the place and good luck to them.

I will also say that I was blessed when a young man to be able to camp in the Lakes every weekend and would go hillwalking with my dog. Those days are long gone and this was our first return for about 25 years. We live in France and in the past I have not enjoyed our returns to the UK very much but for whatever reason this trip was a triumph and apart from Greece the UK was the best place that we visited on our 11 country 18.000km tour.

I really loved Keswick and we stayed there on our return from Skye (which was also stunning) as well, actually delaying our return to France by two days especially to spend more time there.

Quite a funny thing this, if you asked my wife where here favourite place in the world is (she doesn't get out much), she would say, Carvoeiro in Portugal. So I say, let's go in the Moho. Nope she says, too far, I love Keswick(y). We have only been motorhoming for 4 years and have been to Keswick three times; we love it and agree, great place for taking dogs but it is not just the fact that it is dog friendly, it is a great place to visit. The chances are that we will visit again in 2019 :D2 . Haven't tried the Royal Oak yet, but next time (y). We love Thomasons butcher, just up and across the road from the Royal Oak. Excellent quality and not too expensive.(y)

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp

Where did you stop in the MH? I used to visit Keswick and other parts of the Lake District regularly decades ago but camped in a tent, often at the Wasdale Head campsite.

OP
OP
Paul and Val
Sep 25, 2018
Funster No
MH
Chausson 628eb Ford 170
Exp
September 2019
Where did you stop in the MH? I used to visit Keswick and other parts of the Lake District regularly decades ago but camped in a tent, often at the Wasdale Head campsite.
When I used to go walking I stopped at Glenridding on Ullswater and camped. It is perfect for the most lovely of mountains, Helvellyn which I walked up over 100 times.

This time we stayed behind Booths supermarket in the camping car. £15 a day and very central. My wife cannot walk any distance as she has a bad hip so we have to stay centrally and in any case hate sites. This was deserted at night apart from us. We really had a fab time.

I did get half way up Helvellyn this time but I was told that despite being a sunny day in the valley it was a -16C with wind chill at the top so I decided to retreat.

I will say that Portugal will be a tad warmer.

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
We were both born and raised near Keswick, and spent more time than I care to remember rambling and climbing in the area.

We go back two or three times a year and always visit Keswick itself. It is, indeed, dog friendly, but many of the country pubs around the area are too. So many walkers have dogs that they have to accommodate them or go out of business. Often they are only allowed in the bar, leaving the “lounge” to others, but that’s fine.

Further south, (Windermere/Bowness) there are so many tourists that many pubs feel able to ignore the needs of dog owners.

So........go North young man, (or woman, or (LGBT+) :whistle: if you are looking for dog friendly.

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
Last time I went to Keswick it rained every day.
Last time I went to Portugal it was sunny every day.
Just staying.:D;);)

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
Just a quick note for the more "thrifty" Funsters, the Weathersoon's pub is the only one I know in Keswick that doesn't allow dogs in.

Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
Summer of 2018 in Keswick day after day of sunshine, love it.
IMG_20180705_140816.jpg
IMG_20180709_141331.jpg
IMG_20180703_101624.jpg

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Keswick must be a right shit hole... or it soon will be now....

Good job I’ve been in Portugal for the last 3 weeks...:D2

Nasher

Free Member
May 6, 2016
Pontardawe
Funster No
MH
Pug Boxer
Exp
Since 2013
Hmmmm. ..... comparing a town to an entire country based around whether the pubs allow dogs in. And there's me thinking there was a lot of ridiculous discussions about Br***t:)

Each to their own ......

Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
Hmmmm. ..... comparing a town to an entire country based around whether the pubs allow dogs in. And there's me thinking there was a lot of ridiculous discussions about Br***t:)

Each to their own ......
Did you even read the 1st post?

Cheshirecat57

Free Member
Feb 3, 2018
Mid Cheshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years on and off

Each to their own ......
I refer to the saying- There is always one.....

Aug 11, 2018
Europe
Funster No
MH
€6 Peugeot Boxer van conv
Exp
50 years inc camping and caravanning (and I'm not much older than that)
This is where I stay when we go there, it's the CCC site on the lake and is very easily walkable to the town. Gets full quickly though, and sometimes floods. Not my mh, unfortunately.
keswick.jpg

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Hope the gravy wasn’t there normal gravy as it’s bad for dogs
Really? always put some leftover on our dogs dinner but then he weighs 32kg so probably no harm done (also eats the odd grape when he manages to steal one and chocolate)

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
Portugese Dogs and their place in Portugal.
There are lots of Feral dogs in Portugal and they have regular culls.Dogs were used as sentries in the days of the "Nasty" Police,they gave warning of strangers/anyone who may be about especially at night,so people could Move? if worried,a lot of houses had two/three gates to..leave by.
When looking for property we were advised don't by near a church. BELLS or BARKING dogs,i think it is now an offence to keep a dog on a chain on your property,a Black dog is last to be rescued because of its connections to the Devil. So as you can see,there is a different bonding between dogs and Porty people.
In the last couple of years though,it has become normal to see dogs being walked around towns on leads and some of the breeds are REALLY expensive to buy,so they are looked after well. Should you want to read some horror stories, go on Dogs of Portugal rescue site. Things are changing for the better,it seems the dog is moving from the Yard into the house...Perhaps next to a Restaurant near you and then "Infinity and beyond "(y)(y) (LOVE BUZZ(y)(y))
Tea Bag.. Pet less.. I SAID PET LESS! NOT POT LESS:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Really? always put some leftover on our dogs dinner but then he weighs 32kg so probably no harm done (also eats the odd grape when he manages to steal one and chocolate)

Garlic and onions can cause toxic anemia in dogs. ... Mashed potatoes are actually okay for a dog to eat unless they contain sour cream, butter or gravy, which tend to be found in the typical mashed potato recipe. Rich foods like butter and gravy can give your dog diarrhea

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back