Items stolen from pitch?? (1 Viewer)

Jun 6, 2012
Leeds
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2012
We are at Camping San Francesco, Lake Garda and last night had 2 Isabella recliner chairs stolen from our pitch. Reported it to reception but interested if anyone else has ever had anything stolen from their pitch, either here or anywhere else. We have never had anything stolen in the past.

It’s left us feeling violated and wondering why they picked on us :(

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
Who knows why they pick on people. Step son had his BBQ stolen a few years ago. When they found it they also found a number of other BBQ’s that had also been nicked.

You get low life all over the place. We saw a guy with a caravan put all his chairs and table in the car at night so he must have lost something as well.

The Nomad

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
Wandering in Europe
Funster No
MH
Overcab
Exp
Many years
My brother got his (locked) Honda 125cc scooter stolen in the early hours of the morning from their pitch on a campsite on the outskirts of Edinburgh last year.
Campsite reception gate cctv showed two youths simply walking it out of campsite entrance, the gate of which was left unlocked and open.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

PJGWiltshire

Free Member
Mar 11, 2013
Arundel
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2009
We are hearing many stories of the like. We notice these incidents happen at large commercial sites. We have taken to feeding the Growler alarm cable through our chairs at night

Sep 12, 2016
Chesterfield England Tellus 3
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
6 years
The wierdest thing was on Blaye aire in France was some tealeaf took the cover from our gas water heater
DSC_0258Z.JPG

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
We had a side marker light pinched whilst on the aire at Arramanches some years back:mad:

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I'd never leave anything lying outside overnight whether I was on a pitch or wildcamping

Even the scooter gets padlocked up if it's out of the garage, but chairs tables pushbike etc all put away when not using them.

mfw

Banned
Sep 16, 2017
Worthing
Funster No
Leave old crap you dont want outside it is a bonus if someone takes it swmbo then is happy buying newer stuff that you want replacing

D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
We pack everything away when not in use, particularly the Lafuma chairs. Even chain up the kayak while it's outside drying out, often to the amazement of our camping neighbours.
We're also totally anal about bike security, I guess it's as a result of growing up in a less than honest world.

I'm always envious of the folk who don't appear bothered about security, must be great to be so care free.
Also feel for my kids who fastidiously lock up their bikes, when others just dump them and go play...

Realistically, you could steal £££s worth each day.
Balance boards, bicycles, camp furniture, cadacs, dogs, booze... when you think about it, it's surprising that there isn't more theft tbh

mfw

Banned
Sep 16, 2017
Worthing
Funster No
We pack everything away when not in use, particularly the Lafuma chairs. Even chain up the kayak while it's outside drying out, often to the amazement of our camping neighbours.
We're also totally anal about bike security, I guess it's as a result of growing up in a less than honest world.

I'm always envious of the folk who don't appear bothered about security, must be great to be so care free.
Also feel for my kids who fastidiously lock up their bikes, when others just dump them and go play...

Realistically, you could steal £££s worth each day.
Balance boards, bicycles, camp furniture, cadacs, dogs, booze... when you think about it, it's surprising that there isn't more theft tbh
My dad said if you want something you pay for it same as i've told my boys so no easy life gets nicked your problem so dont be lazy pack it away if you aren't prepared to lose it

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
We lock the bikes up at night but nothing else, if someone wants to pinch the chairs, table etc then they can have them, better things to do with my time than worry about a €50 item. One day they'll get pinched but in balance i prefer not to worry and use my time for other things. A kayak I would lock up though, just wondering how though (n)

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
I lost a wheel trim in Scotland last month and it was nice genuine Fiat one. Nothing wrong with that, it can happen.
But then I realised I'd only noticed it in the morning ------ and it was fastened on with Tyraps Thieving bar stewards???

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
We lock the bikes up at night but nothing else, if someone wants to pinch the chairs, table etc then they can have them, better things to do with my time than worry about a €50 item. One day they'll get pinched but in balance i prefer not to worry and use my time for other things. A kayak I would lock up though, just wondering how though (n)
Well the first time they get stolen your approach may change .....if not perhaps the second time:)

D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
3meter braided steel cable through the carry handles and locked to the towbar.
Granted they could simply cut through the fabric but it's only ever going to deter opportunists anyway.

Dec 28, 2015
lake district
Funster No
MH
low profile mh
Exp
Since 2015
We washed our door mat and left it to dry in the sun whilst we packed up to leave and someone nicked it from under our nose and a CC site to boot . Who would have thought that such people were even members ;)

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
We had our red bucket nicked. And it cost me a whole pound. That is in 30 years .

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
The wierdest thing was on Blaye aire in France was some tealeaf took the cover from our gas water heater
View attachment 239883
that is quite common as they are 25 quid each. On mine i have two screws in either side when it is fitted to stop it being nicked. Site I am on at the moment there are tents here five days a week with barbies, bikes, tables chairs plates, knives, forks, bedding, clothes, motorbike, everything is available and outside. And no occupants until the weekends.
Motorhome family walked in to the village yesterday leaving it everything out and hab door open and all windows

The Dotties

Free Member
Jan 31, 2015
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Ex Newbie

Remove one of the wheels?:)

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
It’s left us feeling violated and wondering why they picked on us :(

Its very annoying to have things stolen but try not to take it too hard.

The thieves wouldn't have targeted you personally... they will have just seen a nice pair of chairs and thought - we'll have them!

Hope you enjoy the rest of your time away :)

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Well the first time they get stolen your approach may change .....if not perhaps the second time:)

I think it's a similar topic like what to insure and what excess level to pay, same as what time and effort to invest into securing certain items. Seems we all agree that it's worth locking up bicycles and kayaks ie large value items but chairs and small items (admittedly some chairs can cost €150) is down to personal choice. I've had many many items stolen over the years, from laptops (5 stolen) to cars (3 stolen) as well as having my house turned over twice, but still i ain't going to loose sleep over an aluminium chair or a pair of flip flops.

It all does point to the fact that I'm a rather lazy bugger TBH ;)

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
I had my Virginity taken and my heart broken on the same campsite... .never been back....just in case I was dreaming.

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
Sorry to read this, we always put everything outside the MH away before bed and do the same if going out even if that's on the same camp site, as all a thief is an opportunist.............. you give him/her/it! the opportunity they will take it.
I guess it a sign of the times.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Theft from sites has been going on since Adam went camping

My dad had his Roberts Radio stolen when we were camping at Gretna Green from inside the tent while we all slept .. that would be around 1955

We've had two bikes stolen and a saddle , both times on French aires..

last time we were at Gravlines aire the couple next to us had two folding chairs stolen from under the van...

Sites are generally more secure as there are not so many strangers just walking past your van .. but nowhere is 100% safe

Lock it up or lose it.

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
I had a small wooden effect folding table stolen from a marquee.. :( .. I'd only taken it over so someone could put a birthday cake on it. It grates me every time I think about it. Burstards.

If I recall, didn't someone have a MHF mug stolen once... :D:D:D

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
That's why we have cheap chaits and used to have rusty old bikes on the bike rack. Wouldn't be worth one of these bar stewards taking them.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back