Is this as good as it seems? EU roaming included. (1 Viewer)

Apr 3, 2019
UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Travel Van
Exp
Few years now
Our RWG sim needed to be activated in the UK before we set off over the channel but our 3 PAYG sims did not.

I loaded a VPN with a UK server onto our RUT955 which solves the likes of iPlayer.

The RUT995 will run just fine on the basic configuration via the setup wizard.
Is it easy to put VPN on the RUT590

Aug 3, 2021
Caterham-on-the-Hill, UK
Funster No
MH
Pegaso - 740
Borisski - is yours a Global SIM?
I spoke with RWG yesterday. The global sim is only required if you intend to leave the EU. If the plan is to stay in mainland Europe (not including Turkey, Russia etc.) then the Big Data sim at £20 per month for 200GB should suffice. It's not throttled in any way so is the option I've gone for but haven't yet received the sim so can't comment on speeds etc. But you definitely don't need to waste an extra £8 on the Global sim if you're staying in mainland Europe and within the EU.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
Dec 7, 2009
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun Ti
Exp
Since Dec 2009
Birdie67 - We have the Big Data sim. As you say, RWG advised that this sim was OK for Europe. We were very underwhelmed with the performance 🧐. Borisski was impressed with his so wondered if it was a Big Data or a Global?

Aug 3, 2021
Caterham-on-the-Hill, UK
Funster No
MH
Pegaso - 740
Birdie67 - We have the Big Data sim. As you say, RWG advised that this sim was OK for Europe. We were very underwhelmed with the performance 🧐. Borisski was impressed with his so wondered if it was a Big Data or a Global?
I'd very much doubt there would be a difference in performance if you're in mainland Europe. I'm no technical wizard but would assume both the Big Data and Global sims would find the best signal in the same way.

Have you done a speed test?

Mar 21, 2020
Frome, Somerset, UK
Funster No
MH
N&B Arto 69GL (LHD)
Exp
Since 2005
I have just purchased a 200Gb data only global sim for £28pm. I emailed RWG who recommended I go for global while on my travels around Europe (started yesterday). I have just stopped off in Duisburg, Germany staying with friends before my trip down to Split, travelling via Austria, Lichtenstein, Italy then Croatia - I haven’t plotted anything further but it will involve many other countries . I will update this site from time to time with my observations regarding how I get on with the RWG recommendation

Dec 7, 2009
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun Ti
Exp
Since Dec 2009
I'd very much doubt there would be a difference in performance if you're in mainland Europe. I'm no technical wizard but would assume both the Big Data and Global sims would find the best signal in the same way.

Have you done a speed test?
I didn't do a speed test, it was purely based on page loading and connection speed experience. The sim connected to Bouygues and did not change (unless I missed it 😉) and I did not search for other signals. Our phones, on the other hand, connected to a variety of different providers over the trip.

Do you have the Global sim or the Big Data sim?

Aug 3, 2021
Caterham-on-the-Hill, UK
Funster No
MH
Pegaso - 740
I didn't do a speed test, it was purely based on page loading and connection speed experience. The sim connected to Bouygues and did not change (unless I missed it 😉) and I did not search for other signals. Our phones, on the other hand, connected to a variety of different providers over the trip.

Do you have the Global sim or the Big Data sim?
I've ordered the Big Data Sim as was assured by RWG that that's all I need for our forthcoming trip to France and Belgium. Seems some others have had the Global Sim recommended to them which is strange. I think it's very much a case of who you speak to as to what advice you get.

Apr 13, 2023
Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
ADRIA MATRIX 600SL
Exp
1st timer since Jan 2023
Ok so we looking at buying an rwg global sim tour down to Italy through France, Is this going to be ok in my mifi router to connect in all area's. Mainly for searching sites on mobile, gps activity etc, and minimal use on tv itv x???

Feb 16, 2020
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Globetrott
Exp
We have been using it in France for the past 7 weeks, and 5 weeks in UK before that.

We have travelled down the East Coast, across Central France to the West Coast. We have not had one issue, other than it being slow sometimes. But hey, we are in no rush.

We have streamed sports, documentaries and live shows, downloaded films and series, all without a hitch.

So from us, it is a big thumbs up!

Nov 10, 2020
Glasgow, UK
Funster No
MH
Globecar Roadscout
Exp
Since 2017
I used RWG's 200GB Global Data SIM for 2 months over the summer in Norway and Sweden with no problem. It was £28 per month.

We are about to go to France for 4 weeks so I looked to renew that SIM. However, I see the Global Data SIM is now £35 per month whereas the EE UK and Vodofone UK Data SIMs are still £18 per month. I don't think I want to pay £70 (we'd need to pay for 2 months as our 4-week trip will start in September and finish in October).

I know a few Funsters have gone for the £18 Data SIM in Europe rather than the Global SIM.

Can anyone advise whether the EE or the Vodofone would give better coverage in France? We had a Tiekom SIM at the start of the year which used Vodofone and that worked well.

Thanks.

Mar 23, 2018
East Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 1995 + 20Yrs a 'Tugger' first.
I have the Global sim on EE and my mobile uses Vodafone. Have not noticed any difference at the moment. This was the MiFi reading last night at Lessay (Cotentin)
Screenshot_20230903_184151.jpg

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I used RWG's 200GB Global Data SIM for 2 months over the summer in Norway and Sweden with no problem. It was £28 per month.

We are about to go to France for 4 weeks so I looked to renew that SIM. However, I see the Global Data SIM is now £35 per month whereas the EE UK and Vodofone UK Data SIMs are still £18 per month. I don't think I want to pay £70 (we'd need to pay for 2 months as our 4-week trip will start in September and finish in October).

I know a few Funsters have gone for the £18 Data SIM in Europe rather than the Global SIM.

Can anyone advise whether the EE or the Vodofone would give better coverage in France? We had a Tiekom SIM at the start of the year which used Vodofone and that worked well.

Thanks.
I'm not sure it's £35 a month, just the initial charge which includes the cost of the sim, either free with EE or Vodafone or +£17 for the Global sim, if you click on the EE or Vodafone ones it shows the cost pcm as £18:

1693870787570.png

But if you click on Global it still shows a cost of £18 a month but appears to have an initial extra £17 charge making if £35:

1693870825880.png

If I was going to go for the Global though I'd ask for confirmation that what is 'implied' on their website is correct though.

Nov 10, 2020
Glasgow, UK
Funster No
MH
Globecar Roadscout
Exp
Since 2017
I'm not sure it's £35 a month, just the initial charge which includes the cost of the sim, either free with EE or Vodafone or +£17 for the Global sim, if you click on the EE or Vodafone ones it shows the cost pcm as £18:

But if you click on Global it still shows a cost of £18 a month but appears to have an initial extra £17 charge making if £35:

If I was going to go for the Global though I'd ask for confirmation that what is 'implied' on their website is correct though.

I've just emailed RWG for clarification so I'll post with their answer. However, when I used the Global SIM earlier this year, I was charged £28 every month; it wasn't £28 the first month then £18 for subsequent months.

I've also asked them whether I can just re-activate the SIM I already have but choose EE UK or Vodofone UK instead.

Nov 10, 2020
Glasgow, UK
Funster No
MH
Globecar Roadscout
Exp
Since 2017
Here is my query to RWG:

Hi

I got one of your 200 GB Global Data SIMs earlier this summer for £28 per month. I was about to re-start the SIM card but I see you website is now showing £35 for the Global SIM.

• Will I be charged £35 per month if I re-start my SIM card as a Global SIM? It’s a bit confusing as the heading on your website still shows "200GB data only £18/month” even after you select Global (see attachment).
  • Can I instead re-start that same SIM card and choose EE UK or Vodofone UK rather than Global?
  • I will only be visiting France and Spain this trip. Will EE UK or Vodofone UK SIM cards work okay for that?
Thanks.

And their response:

Hi Helen,

Yes, the Global SIM is now £35, as above, with the Global SIM the price changes to £35.

Unfortunately the EE and Vodafone SIM cards don't include Roaming.

Best Wishes
RWG Mobile Support Team

I've replied to their response for further clarification!

Last edited:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Since when did the Voda and EE sims exclude roaming???? They really need to get their act together.

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since when did the Voda and EE sims exclude roaming???? They really need to get their act together.
I think that has always been the case with RWG data only sim’s hence the need for global part.
I used phone sim in France and will renew it again later this month.

Nov 10, 2020
Glasgow, UK
Funster No
MH
Globecar Roadscout
Exp
Since 2017
I think that has always been the case with RWG data only sim’s hence the need for global part.
I used phone sim in France and will renew it again later this month.
I'm pretty sure there have been a number of Funsters posting to this thread who opted for the £18 version, rather than the £28 Global version, earlier this year and those SIMs worked fine in Europe. Unless I'm going mad...

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
It's ruddy confusing isn't it! I've got another couple of months before I can get a new phone contract without penalty so I'm hoping there are some good deals on then, whether there'll be any which have roaming included without extortionate fees is anyone's guess!

CAB96

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 31, 2021
Stockport, UK
Funster No
MH
T6 Leisuredrive
Exp
3+
The £20 phone versions apparently include EU Roaming, the full 200gb.

The £18 data SIMs do not.

Confused? Yes!

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I used £20 version and will again later this month

Oct 27, 2007
Near Dartford
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Since 2005
I'm using the £20 phone version in my Samsung tablet for Kevin to be able to watch the Vuelta and the rugby. It works really well and I also use it as a hotspot for the phones. We are in Spain at the moment.

Mar 1, 2018
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Currently struggling trying to access the internet using the RWG 200GB Global Data SIM card in a HUAWEI E5577 mifi device. Had used this overseas in May without any issues. Cancelled this on my return and have now reactivated the card. The previous APN settings in the mifi don’t seem to be working for me.
FAQs from RWGMobile are not clear on the settings for a mifi device. Can any funsters detail the settings they use for a setup similar to mine.
Name:
APN:
User Name:
Password:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back