Bart

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
So I'm reinstalling my sunshine solar 1500w pure sine inverter in the MH, and I decided to check the plug socket that is powered from it with one of the plug tester thinggys, well anyway it's showing reverse polarity as the error, and I get the exact same error when plugging the tester directly into the inverter.
I've checked and rechecked power in to inverter from the battery, and it's correct.
Any ideas or is this normal for one of the plugs to throw up this error when using it on an inverter, which converts from DC to AC.
IMG_20190525_135444.jpg

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
So I'm reinstalling my sunshine solar 1500w pure sine inverter in the MH, and I decided to check the plug socket that is powered from it with one of the plug tester thinggys, well anyway it's showing reverse polarity as the error, and I get the exact same error when plugging the tester directly into the inverter.
I've checked and rechecked power in to inverter from the battery, and it's correct.
Any ideas or is this normal for one of the plugs to throw up this error when using it on an inverter, which converts from DC to AC. View attachment 306058

It's normal, the inverter has a floating earth so the tester can't tell the difference between L & N (actually there isn't L & N just two lives) (y)

Reactions: DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
You can connect the "neutral" side from the inverter to the vehicle chassis. If you want an RCD to work this is what you need to do anyway, assuming of course the inverter itself is grounded via an earth connection to the chassis. This is something I've only recently recognised. @Lenny HB is the expert. :)

AMK

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Since 2014
Gents sorry to crash the party.

I’m fitting a pure sin inverter next week 1500w

I was thinking the RCD or in line fuse should close to the battery as possible and about 150 amp.

What do you think.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Fuse for the peak requirement of the inverter. You can't use an RCD (I think you meant MCB). I'd stick with a fuse.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Gents sorry to crash the party.

I’m fitting a pure sin inverter next week 1500w

I was thinking the RCD or in line fuse should close to the battery as possible and about 150 amp.

What do you think.
I assume you mean a fuse or circuit breaker, in which case yes in the 12v connection . A RCD is on the 230V side. However a 1500w inverter could draw up to 300A for a short period and the 12v wiring should be more than adequate for that so a 300A fuse might be a better bet. This is what I have done

AMK

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Since 2014
Yes circuit breaker.

Thanks for the info, maybe a 300 amp to play it safe.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Yes circuit breaker.

Thanks for the info, maybe a 300 amp to play it safe.
Be careful because the most commonly available fuses of this size are called Mega fuses and the current quoted for them is the working current, they blow at twice this. I think a 150A Mega fuse will be fine. Fit it close to the battery and I would add an isolating switch as well. Check the inverter link in my signature block below. :)

OP
OP
Bart

Bart

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
It's normal, the inverter has a floating earth so the tester can't tell the difference between L & N (actually there isn't L & N just two lives) (y)
Phew thanks, wondered wtf was going on, thanks (y) (y)

You can connect the "neutral" side from the inverter to the vehicle chassis. If you want an RCD to work this is what you need to do anyway, assuming of course the inverter itself is grounded via an earth connection to the chassis. This is something I've only recently recognised. @Lenny HB is the expert. :)
yip I have same as last van a 25mm battery cable going through the floor to the chassis, this is then used for earth and neutral. Thanks DBK (y) (y). Forgot to say yip I have an RCD plugged into the inverter outlet.

AMK

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Since 2014
Be careful because the most commonly available fuses of this size are called Mega fuses and the current quoted for them is the working current, they blow at twice this. I think a 150A Mega fuse will be fine. Fit it close to the battery and I would add an isolating switch as well. Check the inverter link in my signature block below. :)

I think I will use a 150 circuit breaker and isolate it from there when not in use.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
If you have a meter showing reverse polarity, especially on Johnny foreigner sites, it may be worth checking there is an earth on the site as well.....not unheard of to be no earth.
Easiest way to check.... If you use a reverser lead and there is no earth it will still show reverse polarity
It's not just inverters that do this.... Generators do it as well.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Back