INTERESTING POST ON GERMAN PARTS (1 Viewer)

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
OK, we get that - one German supplier hasn't trained any staff to complete the new forms and add UK VAT.

Instead they propose using a shipping agent who charges an extortionate fee for a straightforward service. Their loss if you go elsewhere.

Eventually those EU companies that want to attract UK customers will get their act together.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
OK, we get that - one German supplier hasn't trained any staff to complete the new forms and add UK VAT.

Instead they propose using a shipping agent who charges an extortionate fee for a straightforward service. Their loss if you go elsewhere.

Eventually those EU companies that want to attract UK customers will get their act together.
I imagine pressure is building. One of the agents bills I saw was €40 to confirm that no duty was payable on a €50ish item

OP
OP

Deleted User
Your are correct nothing matters more than human life and our families safety and well-being, but the thread started as a order inquiry for a wheel carrier.
I think it's fantastic that we have a brilliant vaccine programme being supported by a number of vaccines produced by many dedicated scientists from around the world trying to solve a global problem.
Some are doing it better than others but for those who aren't achieving results we need to encourage, support and help where we can.
An example of this I read yesterday
being the first Az vaccine (Anglo Swedish company) has been produce in India and is about to be delivered to Nigeria, a truly global effort.
I'm very greatful for vaccine availability, hopefully I'll get mine soon but unfortunately we've also had very disappointing results in other areas of this pandemic.
Soon our freedom will return and we can enjoy discussing happier subjects as we all take to the road, God willing.
Stay safe.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 669
Exp
Since April 2013
So how is this for a good deal;
Buy a new Merc Car here and send it to the EU. No extra costs
Send it when it is one day over six months old then plus 20%VAT and 9%duty!
Cyprus is right hand drive and sources all used cars from the U.K.
Agents normally handle 150 cars a week at least
Last week 15
This week currently zero !
So much for the tariff free deal!

Sapper520

Free Member
Jan 22, 2020
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020
And the mark up by Cypriot Dealers is eye watering.

My son exported his 56 plate Mazda in 2013 to the island. Cost him £600 to get it there, had to pay import tax etc.........sold it 4 years later for 4 times its UK value. (y)

Cheshirecat57

Free Member
Feb 3, 2018
Mid Cheshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years on and off
So how is this for a good deal;
Buy a new Merc Car here and send it to the EU. No extra costs
Send it when it is one day over six months old then plus 20%VAT and 9%duty!
Cyprus is right hand drive and sources all used cars from the U.K.
Agents normally handle 150 cars a week at least
Last week 15
This week currently zero !
So much for the tariff free deal!
Yes
Another racket closed down- result

OP
OP

Deleted User
Ordered yesterday a wheel carrier from 4x4 Works, a company in Milton Cambridge (very helpful).
Made by French company N4.
Cost including delivery £645, timescales are vague but approximately 6/8wks so hopefully should have it by end of April.
Delivery delay is due to 2 wk production shortage and approximately 6 wks shipping/customers.
Will post photo's once fitted.

OP
OP

Deleted User
Good news had notification today that my spare tyre carrier has finally arrived in the UK from France, now at Dartford.
If it arrives on Friday it will have taken 45 post Brexit days.
Pre Brexit it would of been dispatched within 48hrs.
Will post details for those who are interested once fitted.🇪🇺🇬🇧

Sapper520

Free Member
Jan 22, 2020
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020
Good news had notification today that my spare tyre carrier has finally arrived in the UK from France, now at Dartford.
If it arrives on Friday it will have taken 45 post Brexit days.
Pre Brexit it would of been dispatched within 48hrs.
Will post details for those who are interested once fitted.🇪🇺🇬🇧

There are definite inconsistencies at the moment.

I ordered some items from The Irish Republic, took about 5 days from order to delivery..........no import duty from their courier, and no warning that there might be at point of order.

Tried to order items from Germany, German VAT taken off order, but warned that there would be import duty charged by the courier company. Couldn’t tell me how much as that was up to the courier company. :unsure:

Therefore, I cancelled the order from Germany as I had no idea what the final cost would be to me.🤷‍♂️

deleted79651

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
There was a Guardian article on Saturday, IIRC, on the way in which customs and import duties mount uponce the Order value exceeds £135. The article mentioned an order for some £210 IIRC and the duties added about £80+ to the final bill. I can't find this article, but my search did throw up the case of the imported racing bike and an initial customs & duties bill of £2,000 on top of the cost of the bike!
UK import of Polish Bike

Steve

OP
OP

Deleted User
Agree with the German supply issue, if you look at the first post i was quoted 610 euros as an export charge on a 995 euro part.
The cost from France has been absorbed by the UK importer the downside of this route is that the UK supplier only imports when there is enough sold stock to fill a pallet and he arranges all documentation. Something the French supplier refuses to be involved in, hence 45 day turn around. Thankfully i wasn't in a hurry.

Sapper520

Free Member
Jan 22, 2020
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020
Who would buy something without knowing the final cost?

If they said the duty was ‘X’ amount, then I’d be able to decide if it was worth me buying the items. 🤷‍♂️

Sapper520

Free Member
Jan 22, 2020
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020
Don’t whine if you voted for Brexit.....I bet Brexiteers are sick of people saying “I told you so....” Just reiterating what a friend said...... 😉🤣

Just want to know how much something will cost me. I thought it was up to the seller to tell me that not the courier. Not interested in the politics surrounding it, that boat as sailed. (y)

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
If anyone can tell me of a UK supplier I would be grateful.
I did try one UK supplier who's bar didn't fit properly on the new Sprinter and another who doesn't return calls or emails.
The main U S supplier of this type of carrier, Owl vans is not exporting to UK, a French supplier N4 off road has a two month turn around (many order and shipping problems) and the German company has high import costs.
Most of the quality carriers cost around £1000, heavy duty to take oversized wheels with quality finishes and fixings.
Quite a few suppliers on instagram ...hang on ill see if i can link

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
I've been looking at hydraulic rams on ebay. There was a Chinese company with a Czech address that had an item for £89, but it said custom import charges may apply and it could also bounce around a custom house for however long ? I bought a unit from a supplier in Lancashire for £113 instead. I might have got away with the import one, but it wasn't worth the hassle and a British retailer has got the sale. Not ideal, but not the end of the world either. I'm sure things will improve eventually ?

Jun 4, 2010
Funster No
Good afternoon,

So there we have it. A business opportunity for someone, making spare wheel carriers which can easily undercut the competition

Camdoon

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 22, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Supreme
Exp
And the mark up by Cypriot Dealers is eye watering.

My son exported his 56 plate Mazda in 2013 to the island. Cost him £600 to get it there, had to pay import tax etc.........sold it 4 years later for 4 times its UK value. (y)
It's because preEU they used to get all their cars from Japan at a fraction of the price because of strict Japanese MOT regs. At that time with little corrosion the cars would last for years. They wouldn't touch British models and on a small island with high diesel car road tax had no requirement for german autobahn eaters.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Last week I received some spare waste pipes from Luxembourg, posted the previous week by the private individual we bought the mh from last August. No customs payment.

The delay in sending was because he had been unable to cross the German border to go to his storage place.

Sapper520

Free Member
Jan 22, 2020
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020
Last week I received some spare waste pipes from Luxembourg, posted the previous week by the private individual we bought the mh from last August. No customs payment.

The delay in sending was because he had been unable to cross the German border to go to his storage place.
My son and his family live in The Netherlands within walking distance of the German border. They’re not allowed to cross that border at the moment.

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
I've been looking at hydraulic rams on ebay. There was a Chinese company with a Czech address that had an item for £89, but it said custom import charges may apply and it could also bounce around a custom house for however long ? I bought a unit from a supplier in Lancashire for £113 instead. I might have got away with the import one, but it wasn't worth the hassle and a British retailer has got the sale. Not ideal, but not the end of the world either. I'm sure things will improve eventually ?
Well, that turned out to be a bit of a Brexibonus. I ordered a 30ton hydraulic ram from a UK supplier, instead of opting for a cheaper ram from the Czech republic for my home built press project. It arrived today, complete with a two speed hydraulic hand pump that wasn't mentioned in the advert, that has saved me a lot of work even if there maybe is a bit of finagling involved ?
20210421_143302.jpg

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back