Insurance changing annual mileage limits (1 Viewer)

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Morning all

As part of my planning for Norway next month I remembered we have a limit on annual mileage and noticed just how far we will be going to Tromso and back, that alone is 5500 miles according to google

we have already done 4500 miles this year and have other trips plus Norway still to go

Our current limit is 8000, rang to increase and check price to do so, asked for price for 10K which would still be scarily close to not enough (actually not enough) and 12K

Our MOT renews just after insurance renews to very easy for anyone to check our mileage, unless I swap MH's now that's an option but don't mention to Bev that I even thought it

So, rang broker AIB last week they just called back with prices and options

Luckily I was sitting down

Current years insurance was £429 with 8K limits on miles, with KGM

Increase to 10K £75, no option to increase to any higher at all

So their next suggestion, cancel existing and take out a new policy for 12K miles for £486

Not overly bad, but how much would we get on the unused 5 months insurance? probably none or very little :(:(

Who would the new insurers be KGM o_Oo_O:mad::mad:

We then discussed what ifs on going over mileage by just a few, he said all these things are based on trust and they would have an option not to pay if you had gone over, but I said surely only in very small proportion to the amount over? Apparently not, but the same morals clearly do not apply on refunds :(

I am sure I read loads of you have unlimited miles cover, free breakdown cover and tea delivered to your door every other morning :) and for less money o_O

moulin 87

Free Member
Aug 31, 2015
Limousin, France
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Espirit T7150
Exp
So, go on trip to Norway, when you hit 7500 miles cancel policy and ask them to email new policy with 12k.. (you'll need it)... Wifi in Norway was very good, SWMBO was able to keep up with her soaps easily using Iplayer on most sites..

Derbyshire wanderer

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
15 years
It seems a common problem with all insurance policies whether vehicle, home, travel or any others in that any changes mid term are seriously expensive pro rata.
Better to reinsure at correct mileage than have a mishap with a refusal to pay out

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
@moulin 87 @Derbyshire wanderer

pretty much what I intend to do, maybe give myself a few miles margin, but 8K will only get us there but not back, tempting but may be a little cold :):)

will be looking at alternative new insurers though, think brokers and insurers may be banking any possible refund unfairly

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
David we increased our mileage last year from 15K to over 20K (which was their maximum option) with no additional cost.
This was with NFU

Derbyshire wanderer

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
15 years
@moulin 87 @Derbyshire wanderer

pretty much what I intend to do, maybe give myself a few miles margin, but 8K will only get us there but not back, tempting but may be a little cold :):)

will be looking at alternative new insurers though, think brokers and insurers may be banking any possible refund unfairly
I have another idea (n)
As it will get you there just stay till renewal time then come back :D

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
David we increased our mileage last year from 15K to over 20K (which was their maximum option) with no additional cost.
This was with NFU

I actually said to AIB, I bet someone will tell me to go to NFU for exactly this reason

@AIBinsurance didn't I :)(y)

out of interest Robert was your premium in the same ball park as mine? I have even dropped my value to £49K to avoid alarm / tracker issues o_O

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
This was with NFU
Nfu are never the cheapest but in fact I get 12000 forabout £300, but their no quibbleing aboutanything is second to none, I have 5 vehicles with them, they know me by name when I go in the office, never have to go through any rigmarole to change or add anything, as I said never the cheapest and they don't do breakdown on motorhomes, but you know where they are when you need them.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
out of interest Robert was your premium in the same ball park as mine? I have even dropped my value to £49K to avoid alarm / tracker issues o_O

Our latest renewal was £513, but this was for about £100K cover and included a 'new for old' replacement vehicle for the first 2 years. Unlimited windscreen cover. Unlimited European cover.

The only thing I'd say against NFU is they don't offer cover for Morocco.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I actually said to AIB, I bet someone will tell me to go to NFU for exactly this reason

@AIBinsurance didn't I :)(y)

Actually just had a quick look and can't find this years but last years was upto£75000 and I can't even see anything about miles on it but there must be a limit, and the total price £263.69

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
@Robert Clark

we only get 90 days consecutive cover out of UK 120 days total in one year

do you mean you get recovery cover in that premium, we pay RAC on top of ours :(
No breakdown cover due to size of vehicle, having said that with a new van we're covered for 2 years by Fiat anyway

Melvin

Free Member
Jan 22, 2016
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
On & off since 1974
I have a 10000 mile limit and live in low crime area ,and I can never get quotes that others seem to get .I thought it was because they had 5000 limits because when looking in secondhand sales there seems to be many low mileage vans available.

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Unlimited mileage with comfort.

just rang them as online couldn't enter MH details o_O

great price, seems very good package using Aviva

but they have option for up to 10K miles or unlimited

£361 or £430 + £62 for full European and UK recovery max 6 calls / year (even for my Hymer should be plenty :LOL::LOL:)

£200 XS, £75 windscreen XS, 9mnonths max European travel per year but can be continuous

thanks Sue, not called other yet, but cross with myself for paying too much last year and previous :(

PJGWiltshire

Free Member
Mar 11, 2013
Arundel
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2009
Have a look at caravan club. I renewed in the Spring and it's clear they were running an offer to coincide with the name change aimed at motorhomes. Great price for my Carthago and I chose 10000 miles

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Have a look at caravan club. I renewed in the Spring and it's clear they were running an offer to coincide with the name change aimed at motorhomes. Great price for my Carthago and I chose 10000 miles

not a Norway year then (y)(y)

thanks for your tips this weekend :)

Lot lover

Free Member
May 13, 2016
Lot, France
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur Integral
Exp
New boy
Thanks to all - this thread has caused me to make a diary note for renewal time.

Our MH is insured through our local bank with a limit of 8000 km p.a. which will be fine (just) for 2017. But next year trips to the Algarve in Jan/Mar and then Slovenia/Croatia in May/June will eat up most of it leaving very little for the autumn. Must check relevant costs of (a) over-running a bit and (b) next breakpoint, ? 10000km

Thanks again.

klaatu

Free Member
Aug 10, 2013
Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Since 2014
Our insurance through Safeguard gives unlimited mileage, AA breakdown cover, and 365 days European travel, and covers me and my wife. MH value £30k, premium £353.

May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
C Class: Low profile
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
just rang them as online couldn't enter MH details o_O

great price, seems very good package using Aviva

but they have option for up to 10K miles or unlimited

£361 or £430 + £62 for full European and UK recovery max 6 calls / year (even for my Hymer should be plenty :LOL::LOL:)

£200 XS, £75 windscreen XS, 9mnonths max European travel per year but can be continuous

thanks Sue, not called other yet, but cross with myself for paying too much last year and previous :(

Be aware that Comfort's version of the Aviva policy will not allow you to leave the vehicle unattended in the EU for more than 36 hours, whatever the reason (hospital, breakdown, weekend in an hotel, etc). Check the policy wording very carefully

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
We bought our 'van in Feb so that's when we started with van Insurance.
After one year and while trying to find Insurance it was apparent that we will not be home in Feb. so needed to do something to move the Insurance to a time when we would be in the UK.
AIB offered the opportunity to cancel their Policy after six months, retain six months of the value I had paid and reinsure thereby moving the Insurance into the summer months when we would have been in the UK.
HOWEVER, GRRRRR!!!!! when I did so I was told that although the vehicle Insurance was cancelled and 6mths value was transferred onto the new Policy, when it came to the Breakdown element, I lost the six months as AIB told me that I couldn't cancel that and retain 6mths for transfer. They said I couldn't have one without the other. They didn't tell me that in our discussions in the Feb. when they said that the Insurance could be cancelled and renewed at full value, that they wouldn't include the Breakdown element.

So, if AIB want to know why they didn't get my business this year, read the above.
That, and the fact that when they sent me the renewal documentation, there was no mention of the Breakdown Plan when they quoted their figure. I consider that omission to be a deliberate misrepresentation and couched in order to await the phone call when they would have dropped it in my lap. Add to the Insurance the Breakdown element and their price, to include just 90 days away at a time and 8000 miles was not competitive.

PS. Went with Safeguard. No limit on foreign travel and no limit on mileage (and £45 cheaper)

Last edited:

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Be aware that Comfort's version of the Aviva policy will not allow you to leave the vehicle unattended in the EU for more than 36 hours, whatever the reason (hospital, breakdown, weekend in an hotel, etc). Check the policy wording very carefully
It's now 48 hours and providing you ring them and tell tell they will allow longer periods.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back