Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Oct 29, 2021
Chesterfield, UK
Funster No
MH
autocruise Rhythm
Exp
Most of my life in one form or another
Recently got back from a chilly week in Brugge.
When in bed there was a distincinct chilly draught from the rear corners of the van.
( Autocruise conversion 2008).
Today i took the internal trim panels off the corner sections and could see straight through to the light units. Not good.
Then removed the rear door trim panels , no insulation whatsoever.
Unfortunately the side panels would be a complete nightmare to remove, but going on what ive already seen, i doubt if there will be any there either.
Ordering adhesive insulation pads and insulation roll tonight so i can do as much as i can before going away for new year.
It would be well woth checking for anyone with panels that come off easily.👍🏼👍🏼👍🏼👍🏼👍🏼

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Not unusual it would seem.
Have a look here.

OP
OP
dazandandrea
Oct 29, 2021
Chesterfield, UK
Funster No
MH
autocruise Rhythm
Exp
I supose its possible that ours did have some at some point as it was a " proper" conversion. It is 14 years old now.

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
I supose its possible that ours did have some at some point as it was a " proper" conversion. It is 14 years old now.
Where do you suppose it's gone then ?
I was shocked when I read the thread linked to above.
I'd always assumed pvc's were properly insulated but it seems not.
It's in my thoughts to go the woosh bang route in the future but I'd need to be sure it's insulated.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
The problem is you need to be able to get to the back of the light cluster these days ‘cos they don’t unscrew from the outside any more. We’re not so bad as we don’t have any back doors, much better for insulation.

image.jpg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
What a coincidence, I investigated my new to me van today and found similar, most of the van has been sprayed with what looks like that expanding foam but it’s not thick and there are some areas that I think should be better insulated especially in some voids…. I shall get the woolly insulation and stuff it in any hole I find 😉 including the back by the rear light cluster and if I needed to get the light unit off for any reason then I could just pull the wool out (Badknee ) I think that would be a good solution for me anyway…😎

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
You can use as many sheepsies as you like Smiffy. ‘Can’t move in here for sheepsies’
🐑🐑🐑🐑🐑🐑🐑🐑🐑🐑🐑🐑🐑🐑

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
What a coincidence, I investigated my new to me van today and found similar, most of the van has been sprayed with what looks like that expanding foam but it’s not thick and there are some areas that I think should be better insulated especially in some voids…. I shall get the woolly insulation and stuff it in any hole I find 😉 including the back by the rear light cluster and if I needed to get the light unit off for any reason then I could just pull the wool out (Badknee ) I think that would be a good solution for me anyway…😎
Careful with the wool insulation, if it gets wet it will rot and smell, look at Dacron which comes in rolls, it’s inert and will not soak water or rot.

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Careful with the wool insulation, if it gets wet it will rot and smell, look at Dacron which comes in rolls, it’s inert and will not soak water or rot.

The one I was thinking about is that shredded plastic stuff that I’ve seen a few use on YouTube… that would be better at not getting so wet surly.. wouldn’t it..?

Apr 12, 2012
N/E Lincs
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Rienza
Exp
as above
Our first PVC was insulated were you could see it but inside the doors and behind the lower cupboards there was nothing.
The water pump was mounted touching the outer skin hence it froze. The water pipes between the water heater and pump ran underneath the floor to the washroom on the opposite side with no insulation.
It took us a lot of searching before we tracked down all the drafts. We couldn’t have used it in the winter hence us swapping to the current motorhome. We still have one known draft but a pot towel over the front of the fridge helps.

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
I am so happy that I regularly attended at my converters to see how he insulated it, with sticky foam sheet and Dacron filling all spaces, even then we found some drafts which I found were from the rear doors where they meet the body. So I fitted more rubber seals and Dee made up draft sausages for the vertical door joint.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I shall get the woolly insulation and stuff it in any hole I find
I used sheet 'lana' on mine which is sheeps wool. rammed it in everywhere that i could as what had been used for the rear "cool" box area was sheet polystyrene where it could be fitted.
I have now done all the cab doors when I had the door panels off recently for a reason that escapes me? Side door is another that will need to be done probably as well.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Not good that,I made sure to fill mine when doing it,50mm kingspan and recycled plastic insulation in all the nooks and crannies 😁. View attachment 695231View attachment 695229

I tried multiple different methods for insulation. Kingspan/Recticel etc were good products but inevitably with curved surfaces there were gaps. I had a condensation problem but I didn't find out until it was too late.

I then moved onto 2 part poly spray foam and it is excellent. goes on in minutes and add rigidity, sound deadening and vapour barrier all in one hit.
Here is me stripping the ceiling back and redoing the insulation up there.

Stripping the foam board insulation out and putting full strips of wood in.
1670530007235.png

Applying the spray foam.
1670529975053.png

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
I tried multiple different methods for insulation. Kingspan/Recticel etc were good products but inevitably with curved surfaces there were gaps. I had a condensation problem but I didn't find out until it was too late.

I then moved onto 2 part poly spray foam and it is excellent. goes on in minutes and add rigidity, sound deadening and vapour barrier all in one hit.
Here is me stripping the ceiling back and redoing the insulation up there.

Stripping the foam board insulation out and putting full strips of wood in.
View attachment 695311

Applying the spray foam.
View attachment 695310
That’s like the stuff that covers most of the van but it doesn’t go in the void around the joints and pillars so I’ll stuff them with the fleece stuff…

Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
In my regrettably late departed pvc we would hang a bed sheet over the twin rear doors. It made an amazing difference. The sliding woosh bang door had no insulation, but you couldn't put too much in for the cables so I did what I could. I don't know that it made any difference. For the windows and rooflights you can cut slightly larger templates from plastic bubble silver backed insulation material and simply push it in. It has to be stored though, and is too much of a bother. I just wish I still had that problem. . .

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
Some PVC conversions are better insulated than others but there are a few areas that are very difficult to do properly. One of the compromises compared against a good coachbuilt.

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
For my previous van, the company that converted it (before I owned it) just shoved rockwool in the back door. It was pretty chilly. I replaced it with adhesive foil backed foam. I also did the side door and front doors. When we camped when it was frosty, you could clearly see the bits I'd done as it didn't melt as quickly. It had the added bonus of adding quite a lot of sound insulation too. Quieter to drive, better sound from the radio, and the doors went "klumpf" when you closed them.

OP
OP
dazandandrea
Oct 29, 2021
Chesterfield, UK
Funster No
MH
autocruise Rhythm
Exp

The

It's in y thoughts to go the woosh bang route in the future but I'insulated.

It's in my thoughts to go the woosh bang route in the future but I'd need to be sure it's insulated.

OP
OP
dazandandrea
Oct 29, 2021
Chesterfield, UK
Funster No
MH
autocruise Rhythm
Exp
My phone has been playing up , sorry about the above long quote lol.

Anyway insulation ordered, ill make a start next week 👍🏼

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
For my previous van, the company that converted it (before I owned it) just shoved rockwool in the back door. It was pretty chilly. I replaced it with adhesive foil backed foam. I also did the side door and front doors. When we camped when it was frosty, you could clearly see the bits I'd done as it didn't melt as quickly. It had the added bonus of adding quite a lot of sound insulation too. Quieter to drive, better sound from the radio, and the doors went "klumpf" when you closed them.
Rockwool soaks up water so will cause the panels to rot! It's amazing how wet it can get!

Feb 14, 2022
Sheffield, UK
Funster No
MH
Nissan NV400 self bu
The rear bottom corners of vans have 'slam vents' fitted on purpose, usually with plastic vent covers fitted.
They are there to relieve air pressure when closing the doors, particularly the sliding door, if you insulate these areas be sure air can still pass through a little as you may pop a window with the pressure!

OP
OP
dazandandrea
Oct 29, 2021
Chesterfield, UK
Funster No
MH
autocruise Rhythm
Exp
I dont think there will be a problem with air escaping through the numerous gaps and vents etc 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Information for all who have pvc and leave voids to get to bulbs
I couldn’t leave access to the rear lights / removed doors and put bathroom across the back / so simply removed lights drilled through the edges and self tapped into the bodywork 👍Dead Simple and you can simply remove a couple of screws to get to the bulbs etc 😉worked for me 👍

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Information for all who have pvc and leave voids to get to bulbs
I couldn’t leave access to the rear lights / removed doors and put bathroom across the back / so simply removed lights drilled through the edges and self tapped into the bodywork 👍Dead Simple and you can simply remove a couple of screws to get to the bulbs etc 😉worked for me 👍
I like that idea. Just wondering if an improvement on it might be to use rivnuts? Would that be possible?

Jan 27, 2018
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Rapido & Bongone
What feels like many moons ago I insulated my Bongo with a wool syntheic mix intended for lofts. The Mix was for structural, condensation and thermal optimization. Good thermal properties of wool and mechanical properties to allow draining.

OP
OP
dazandandrea
Oct 29, 2021
Chesterfield, UK
Funster No
MH
autocruise Rhythm
Exp
Well, ive got the back doors done , adhesive backed , foil lined foam then insulation wadding.

No idea if its made any difference But the doors close with a thud now rather than a rattle.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
I like that idea. Just wondering if an improvement on it might be to use rivnuts? Would that be possible?
I don’t see why not Karl. I carefully countersink and used Stainless Steel Philips self tappers simply because I had them. There was a good half inch all around the light😊 If you don’t fancy countersinking you could use Dome headed screws😉

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back