insulation not there at all?? (1 Viewer)

Steph3910

Free Member
Aug 16, 2022
Funster No
MH
VW Transporter
I purchased a motorhome this year it was made from a VW transporter van. It was sold as a camper but i have found it has no insulation and cannot be slept in. The temperature inside is like an oven and it got up to 49 c. The dealers response is tough and try opening a window. I have had it 3 months I had a Maxx Air vent fitted to try to resolve the situation but this hasn't helped and the installer said there is no insulation in the van. What can i do?

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Hi and welcome to the fun.

Sounds awful. If there is no insulation, your van will be full of 'cold spots' and in the Autumn you'll swim in condensation, and you'll swim in the same in winter but only after it melts!

Was it sold as a camper, or a "Day Van", upload a pic or two, that will help (y)

Upvote 0
Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
In my view, you have been well and truly shafted. Who in there right mind would build a motorhome without insulation ? Someone who has no experience of motorhome builds, and/or looking to build one as cheap as possible then dump it when they realise their basic mistake.
I suspect it was a private sale and insulation was never discussed prior to the sale. It will be an ice box in the winter and you have already experianced the summer effect. The only solution is to fit insulation.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S

Steph3910

Free Member
Aug 16, 2022
Funster No
MH
VW Transporter
it was purchased from a dealer as a motorhome. when he was spoken to he told us that the lack of insulation is not a reason to reject the vehicle and we should open a window.?? It has been up to 49 C inside and even today when it is 21 c outside it was 25 inside. The Maxx Air Vent I had fitted doesn't help

Upvote 1
Aug 17, 2020
Leicestershire, UK
Funster No
MH
Pilote
Exp
Since 2011
Do you have documentation of the vehicle description I.e. motorhome. I would think if it isn't habitable how can it be a motor HOME.
Not fit for purpose I would think.
Good luck

Upvote 0

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Have you actually been into some of the voids in the van to establish that there is "no insulation"? any van will get hot in direct sun insulation or not.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S

Steph3910

Free Member
Aug 16, 2022
Funster No
MH
VW Transporter
We had a max Air Vent cut into the roof there is nothing in the roof. it was nicely covered in carpet. The sliding and rear doors have nothing. the covering of the walls is showing ribs so I presume there is none anywhere

Upvote 0
Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
That's shocking, are we talking cheappie budget camper c10-15k or something more substantial ?
If it's from a trader it's not suitable for the intended purpose, tell him you want a full refund as it can't be used.

Upvote 1
OP
OP
S

Steph3910

Free Member
Aug 16, 2022
Funster No
MH
VW Transporter
That's shocking, are we talking cheappie budget camper c10-15k or something more substantial ?
If it's from a trader it's not suitable for the intended purpose, tell him you want a full refund as it can't be used.
approx 3 times the price. it looks lovely quite professional finish with furniture board and the like.

Upvote 0

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
and the installer said there is no insulation in the van
Unless you want to go down the route of rejection and probably taking the dealer to court I guess the only answer is to investigate what it would cost to have insulation added.

A friend of mine built a campervan and used the expanding foam insulation which comes in cans but he did this a panel at a time as he built the vehicle. With a completed vehicle I fear it might be very risky. Could house insulation be blown in?

How easy would it be to remove the interior panels including the roof lining? You could ask the person who converted if that who you mean as the installer in the quote above. An alternative approach would be to look at adding internal insulation panels but of course this will make it smaller and won't be easy.

Upvote 0

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
If "the covering of the walls is showing ribs" as the OP states then it was pretty obvious that the sides were not insulated so the manufacturer was hardly hiding anything and unless they said that the roof was insulated what reason would there be to assume that it was when they had not bothered with the sides.

Upvote 0
Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
Sold ‘not fit for purpose’ it surely cannot be sold as a campervan, ie. For camping in , which means sleeping overnight , if there is no insulation, which serves 2 purposes, keeps van to a reasonable temperature in summer and helps to retain some heat in winter. Speak to your local CAB who will let you know what your rights are and if there any local authority departments still about (after all the cuts) can help you such as Trading Standards.

Upvote 0
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
If "the covering of the walls is showing ribs" as the OP states then it was pretty obvious that the sides were not insulated so the manufacturer was hardly hiding anything and unless they said that the roof was insulated what reason would there be to assume that it was when they had not bothered with the sides.
I have seen quite a few vans done with just sticking carpet on but they are really just that, a van with carpet on the walls not a motorhome, as Jim says it sounds more like a day van for going to the coast or fishing or festivals or something not a home, is it your first van as I'm sorry but it really should have been very obvious if you had looked around a few.
I can't see the dealer doing much about it I'm afraid.

Upvote 0
Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
Is it a camper van or a motorhome? A camper would not have heating and not be used much when it's cold. I had a Bongo converted as a camper, no hot water no heating and no toilet, I looked at it as an upmarket tent. If it's a motorhome then it will have heating and should have insulation although when I had a PVC converted by Auotsleeper the insulation was not much more than a blanket in the void and nothing in the doors.

Upvote 0

golly

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 16, 2009
Land of the Prince Bishops
Funster No
MH
HYMERCAR PVC
Exp
since August 2009
It may be possible to retro-fit insulation, but it would entail removing internal fittings, but better than having a van you cant use. what is the base vehicle ? Just noticed its a VW transporter.

Upvote 0
Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
'VW Transporter' covers a multitude of conversion possibilities. Is it a proprietary commercial/professional conversion or a home/one-off conversion? Is it a true motorhome design or a PVC (Panel Van Conversion)? What year is it? Is the dealer the person who converted it?
We're just wasting breath by guessing wildly if you can't provide the exact model description or a link to the original advert or seller's description against which you bought it.
At the very least a couple of photos showing the outside and inside would help.
All motorhomes/PVC's will become hotter inside than the ambient temp if parked in full sun as the sun will also be beating in through the windows and roof skylights regardless of any insulation.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
I purchased a motorhome this year it was made from a VW transporter van. It was sold as a camper but i have found it has no insulation and cannot be slept in. The temperature inside is like an oven and it got up to 49 c. The dealers response is tough and try opening a window. I have had it 3 months I had a Maxx Air vent fitted to try to resolve the situation but this hasn't helped and the installer said there is no insulation in the van. What can i do?
Really sorry to hear this, if the company advertises Conversions you probably need some advise if your insurance has legal cover or if you subscribe to something like RAC legal advice you want to speak with them

This may come under Misleading and aggressive selling https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...d-aggressive-selling-new-rights-for-consumers

You may also want to call citizens advice and have a look at https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/reclaim/consumer-rights-refunds-exchange/

Also check out some of the VW converters such as Visiontech they would be able to advise what you would reasonably expect on a conversion within a certain budget. https://www.visiontechautomotive.co.uk

Upvote 0
Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Another thing that you will find I'm afraid is the carpet will get wet with condensation if used in the winter.
....... and rot out the steel bodywork and timber furniture boards. Plus smell, mould, ruined soft furnishings etc.
It really is unfit to be called a camper.
Steph3910 do you have a copy of the advert when it was for sale. It would be interesting to see how it was described?

Upvote 0
Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
I’m really shocked I would have thought a quality conversion like the California would have good insulation.

Upvote 0
Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
In the very sparse info that has been given you'll see that the OP originally said (in post #1) that they bought a motorhome which the dealer described and sold as a camper. Later (post #4) the OP wrote that the dealer described it as a motorhome when they complained about the insulation.
We don't actually know what it is.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
I'm afraid lots of manufacturer's call sticking carpet to walls/boards insulation.Without more info we are all guessing. I have seen vans with 3 mm polystyrene/ tinfoil stuck on walls with carpet stuck to that. Just how much insulation it gives I have no idea but I suppose it's better than none 🙂

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back