In search of Sun, Sea and Sangria! (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
We left Bodeaux in the rain and headed towards the Spanish border. It continued raining until we got into Spain, then like a preview of things to come, the sun came out and the world looked a happier place.
Chose to stay at a campsite in Burgos because their restaurant was open all year - as stated in their website. However it's closed tonight, cos it's New Year, Dohhhh !

image.jpeg

Thankfully Mrs C had another treat in the freezer - namely her Lamb Tagine. Whilst it cooked, we took a walk along the river towards the old town.
When we returned, the van was filled with the inviting aroma of dinner.

The temperature in Burgos dropped to a chilly 7 deg today with an overnight low of just 1 deg, it certainly feels colder than when we left France.

The journey so far has been a pleasure, and much more fun than staying at home. We're looking forward to the promise of warmer days to come - and to enjoying an evening without cooking.

Happy New Year!

image.jpeg

Jul 29, 2014
Norfolk and Correze, France
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Had one for 5 years many moons ago. Now starting again.
You're not having a lot of luck on the restaurant side so far.
Sitting at home, having just watched the BBC prog of Gareth Malone's choirs singing and I'm no music expert or enthusiast but that finale had a tear running down my cheek.
Happy New Year to you both.
And for God's sake find an open place as I'm suffering withdrawal symptoms here.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
We left Bodeaux in the rain and headed towards the Spanish border. It continued raining until we got into Spain, then like a preview of things to come, the sun came out and the world looked a happier place.
Chose to stay at a campsite in Burgos because their restaurant was open all year - as stated in their website. However it's closed tonight, cos it's New Year, Dohhhh !

View attachment 87887

Thankfully Mrs C had another treat in the freezer - namely her Lamb Tagine. Whilst it cooked, we took a walk along the river towards the old town.
When we returned, the van was filled with the inviting aroma of dinner.

The temperature in Burgos dropped to a chilly 7 deg today with an overnight low of just 1 deg, it certainly feels colder than when we left France.

The journey so far has been a pleasure, and much more fun than staying at home. We're looking forward to the promise of warmer days to come - and to enjoying an evening without cooking.

Happy New Year!

View attachment 87888
You two look far too happy ...................... and you've aged far too well. Have a good one!!

Oct 24, 2015
Helgas house
Funster No
MH
hymer e650 battered!!
Exp
None
Hi mr and Mrs speve ! Lol Glad to see you got away safely ready for the adventure!! Your mh looks lovely and I'm sure it will take you safely through the journey, when I have finished here in a couple of weeks I will be back on the road and hope to come across you for a chat and update! All the best. Happy new year. Ian xx

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I was starting to write a reply to above, confused myself attempting to unconfuse Ian, gave up

Glad to see progress is good if not rapid, you cover too many miles a day for my liking

Hopefully by now you have found a restaurant, or have you stayed at Borgos to be sure you do :)

Based on current daily mileage if not still there you must be in Morocco :D

Happy New Year to you both (y)

OP
OP
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Hopefully by now you have found a restaurant,
Based on current daily mileage if not still there you must be in Morocco :D

Hi David - we've left Burgos and have arrived in Puerto Lapice, south of Madrid.

We've managed to find a local restaurant and have made a reservation for tonight - or at least I think we have! The place was packed with Spanish people when we arrived, all talking as loud as possible. My Spanish is a little rusty having not spoken much since we left here 12 years ago. The waitres I spoke to wasn't really paying attention as she was making coffees and serving at the bar, and talking to her workmates , all at the same time.
Anyway it could be a great night - or Mrs C will have to create another culinary marvel from very little as we're starting to run short of supplies, everywhere being closed.

Hoping my Spanish was sufficient to be understood

Will report back later !

Happy new year to you too

OP
OP
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Left Burgos this morning just as the campsite bar/restaurant was opening. People were sat outside in the morning sun, sipping coffees and brandies - which looked very tempting. However we decided to carry on with our journey as we longed for a little warmth.

We travelled down to Puerto Lapice (Campercontact 26582) where there is a free Aire, complete with free dump station too. In the distance you can see the famous windmills, and the town itself, although small, makes a living from Don Quixote

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

At last !!! We found a bar/restaurant which was open
It served basic Spanish home cooking, and we both found something on the menu which reminded us of when we lived in Spain

We orderd a bottle of the local red wine
image.jpeg

Which was served with a bowl of pork scratchings

image.jpeg

Mrs C had Lamb chops with salad
image.jpeg

I had Sepia Plancha ( fried cuttlefish) served with garlic mayo and potatoes.

image.jpeg

For after we had Profiteroles

image.jpeg

Followed by coffee and Rum - priceless !
image.jpg

Viva Espana

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
we stayed there last October (14) brand new then, we arrived on a Sunday couldn't find food anywhere, nice bread from shop on right on way south though :)

I think it was on the right, if not try left (y) it was on the main road anyway

Funny thing is we drove from Biarittz to there in one day, 420 miles, vowed that would be the furthest we ever drove in one day again

moulin 87

Free Member
Aug 31, 2015
Limousin, France
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Espirit T7150
Exp
We stopped south of Madrid in mid December, went to the local restaurant for an evening meal, the function room had a wedding on, while the main restaurant was empty except for us two.....until 150+ revellers appeared for a works xmas party!!!! When our food arrived, it was really good but we felt we were there hours waiting & waiting.........watching everybody else having a good time...

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Your next section of road has to be about the most boring I have driven, mile after mile after mile after mile straight and flat, I ended up counting the monotonous joints in the concrete to keep awake

The one thing we did find to talk about were the regular and enormous car park refuge areas, the only thing we could come up with was snow related issues, putting all vehicles in controlled safe areas maybe

Hopefully you wont need them, presuming our verdict on their purpose was even correct

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Your next section of road has to be about the most boring I have driven, mile after mile after mile after mile straight and flat, I ended up counting the monotonous joints in the concrete to keep awake

The one thing we did find to talk about were the regular and enormous car park refuge areas, the only thing we could come up with was snow related issues, putting all vehicles in controlled safe areas maybe

Hopefully you wont need them, presuming our verdict on their purpose was even correct
Same on the Huesca down to Zaragoza & on to Sagunto. It doesn't bore me though as I play 'guess the decoration' at the exits .All of them have some sort of giant sculpture. St George & Dragon , A giant Serrano ham, Don Quixote, etc.
& yes the huge parking areas normally with a petrol station/hotel ,like something out the wild west, are for snow .

OP
OP
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
We've arrived in Córdoba (Campercontact 10741), it's only a car park, but it's situated right next to the historic quarter. No facilities now, but they were installing a dump station today
image.jpeg

Córdoba is a fantastic city. The cathedral is an architectural wonder, formerly a mosque, which itself looks to have been built using recycled Roman pillars

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

We walked across the Roman Bridge

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Had a great afternoon simply wandering around - taking in the sights

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

After a modest lunch of beans on toast and all that walking, we're ready for a decent dinner tonight and will post a report for the food lovers later!

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Hi @Robert Clark you might not agree but I thought Cordoba was better than Alhambra (don't flame me)

OP
OP
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
For the 'foodies'
Dinner tonight was spent at The Taberna Puerta Sevilla (The Sivelle Gate Tavern)
image.jpeg

The inside was an open courtyard, which was very attractive
We ordered Perol Cordobes which was like risotto, in that it was rice, chicken and veggies in a rich broth

image.jpeg

We had a bottle of local red wine

image.jpeg

And for desert we shared a Flan De La Abuela (grandmas creme caramel, which was served with a glass of local prune flavoured wine - I know it sounds yucky, but it tasted like it would keep you regular!

image.jpeg

A great end to a busy day

Tomorrow we continue our journey to the coast

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
The red wine is a little 'fresh' compared to your normal choices :) did you chose it, like I do, on alcohol content (y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back