In search of Sun, Sea and Sangria! (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Spent the morning wandering round the old town on Almunecar.
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

With its narrow streets and castle perched high above the own below

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

There were even some Roman remains

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Jul 29, 2014
Norfolk and Correze, France
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Had one for 5 years many moons ago. Now starting again.
Well you fooled me there. When I read "There were even some Roman remains" I thought it refered to the pic above.:whistle:
It always strikes me when I see a pic like your second one how clean and litter free the streets are in most of Europe. Even the main roads are constantly walked to pick up stuff.
Over here they only seem to do so evry few years.(n)
Keep them coming please. Will it be Italy we go to or Spain? Decisions, decisions.;)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
For the food lovers - lunch was a very modest affair, at the request of @peterc10.

We opted for the 9.50 Euro, menu of the day, in a very 'Spanish' restaurant, which featured hanging hams above the bar plus assorted hunted animal heads including wild boar, on the walls

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

For starters Mrs C had a mixed salad and I had Melon, with slices of the ham

image.jpeg

For Main Course, Mrs C had Swordfish and I had a plate of mixed fried fish, which was served with a dish of garlic mayo for dipping.

image.jpeg

And for desert, we both chose Creme Caramel (Flan)

image.jpeg

At only 9.50 Euro each, which included a large glass of wine., I don't think that even @peterc10 can accuse us of being extravogant.

Now back to the MH for a siesta !

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Love the pictures ! The town looks deserted! What a great time to see the sites much better without the throngs. Lunch looked amazing ! Will need a nap after that !! Enjoy!

Deleted User
There is a plaque to Laurie Lee who lived and worked for a short time in Almunecar in 1935/36 before being evacuated on a British destroyer at the outbreak of the Spanish Civil War.
In 1937 he crossed the Pyrenees and joined the International Brigades after an unpleasant period of internment as a spy but it is a subject of controversy whether he actually took part in any fighting.

"‘A Moment of War’ and Laurie Lee
As far as Frank is concerned Laurie Lee (author of another school set book ‘Cider with Rosie’) was a ‘liar’ and never fought in the Spanish Civil War as he claimed. Frank published an article from John Dunlop (ex IB) which rubbishes ‘A moment of war’. John was at Teruel which appears in the book. John (& others) agree Lee was in Spain but never actually fought in a battle – many think he has woven other peoples experiences into his own story.
My View – Frank is right. Laurie Lee was a great story teller but he seems to have got carried away. He should have described it as fiction rather than suggest it was autobiographical. I can understand Frank’s anger. Laurie himself said that A Moment of War was ‘a book in which I tell a truth which is larger than my own particular experience’; Wikipedia,"

http://archive.spectator.co.uk/article/3rd-january-1998/17/a-not-very-franco-account

OP
OP
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
There is a plaque to Laurie Lee who lived and worked for a short time in Almunecar in 1935/36 before being evacuated on a British destroyer at the outbreak of the Spanish Civil War.
In 1937 he crossed the Pyrenees and joined the International Brigades after an unpleasant period of internment as a spy but it is a subject of controversy whether he actually took part in any fighting.

"‘A Moment of War’ and Laurie Lee
As far as Frank is concerned Laurie Lee (author of another school set book ‘Cider with Rosie’) was a ‘liar’ and never fought in the Spanish Civil War as he claimed. Frank published an article from John Dunlop (ex IB) which rubbishes ‘A moment of war’. John was at Teruel which appears in the book. John (& others) agree Lee was in Spain but never actually fought in a battle – many think he has woven other peoples experiences into his own story.
My View – Frank is right. Laurie Lee was a great story teller but he seems to have got carried away. He should have described it as fiction rather than suggest it was autobiographical. I can understand Frank’s anger. Laurie himself said that A Moment of War was ‘a book in which I tell a truth which is larger than my own particular experience’; Wikipedia,"

http://archive.spectator.co.uk/article/3rd-january-1998/17/a-not-very-franco-account
We saw the plaque, and it reminded me of when we read Cider With Rosie at school

jtp890

Free Member
May 16, 2014
wakefield
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs 7014
Exp
13 years on n off
Just picked up on your travels. Covered similar journey last april / may.
Sorry to say you missed some great beer in Cordoba. Their is a small micro brewery in town centre, Califa, they brew a 6% IPA which is one of the best i,ve tasted, better than Thornbridge Jaipur.
For Granada we used Reina Isabel, La Zubia, open all year and bus to Alahambra.
From granada we headed for Malaga via Arenas del Ray @ Alahma de Granada. Easy wild camping on a beautiful lake, restaurant adjacent.
Safe journey and a happy new year.

OP
OP
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Just picked up on your travels. Covered similar journey last april / may.
Sorry to say you missed some great beer in Cordoba. Their is a small micro brewery in town centre, Califa, they brew a 6% IPA which is one of the best i,ve tasted, better than Thornbridge Jaipur.
For Granada we used Reina Isabel, La Zubia, open all year and bus to Alahambra.
From granada we headed for Malaga via Arenas del Ray @ Alahma de Granada. Easy wild camping on a beautiful lake, restaurant adjacent.
Safe journey and a happy new year.
Shame about the micro brewery in Córdoba - IPA is my favourite beer.
We'd already planned on staying at Reins Isabel in Granada. Did you take the taxi or bus to Alhabra? We've got early ticket times if about 9:30 am.
Regards
Robert

jtp890

Free Member
May 16, 2014
wakefield
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs 7014
Exp
13 years on n off
we used a taxi, as we wanted to limit time away, dog left in van.
10 euro each way booked through reception, no problems.

jtp890

Free Member
May 16, 2014
wakefield
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs 7014
Exp
13 years on n off
We left at 8:30 as we purchased tickets at self service machines, Struggled on line but heard 33% of daily tickets available for purchase on morning of visit. Don,t use ticket booths go to far right hand side and then behind building.

OP
OP
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Looking at the weather forecast yesterday morning, we decided to head to Ronda whilst the weather was still dry.
We're staying at La Sur (Campercontact 19429)
Probably the neatest site we ever stayed on
image.jpeg

Although sunny, it's much colder here, being 800m above sea level.

We cycled into town and spent the morning wandering around the cobbled street of the old town.
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

The 'New' bridge was the highlight of our day. It was built in 1793 and spans a gorge over 300m deep.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

We had lunch at a very 'atmospheric' local restaurant, which featured wood panelled walls and ornate carved stone fireplaces

We shared a plate of Serano (highland) Ham, which I paired with a glass of Fino Sherry

image.jpeg

We then had Seafood and Chicken Paella

image.jpeg

And we finished with Lemon Merangue Tart (which was very lemony)

image.jpeg

Tomorrow we head off to Granada ready for our tour of the Alhambra on Friday

Hasta Luego !

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
We saw the plaque, and it reminded me of when we read Cider With Rosie at school
Lee's sequel to Cider (and other things) with Rosie is "As I Walked Out One Midsummer Morning" and I found this a very enjoyable book - he writes brilliantly - I would be happy if I could put a sentence together like him which was only a tenth as good.

Part of the book covers his walk from Vigo in Galicia down to the south coast where he is eventually caught up in the Spanish Civil War and is evacuated from Almunecar - as @matamoros mentions. I can recommend the book but the sequel, "A Moment of War" which describes his return to Spain, crossing the Pyrenees and being almost immediately arrested I found heavy going. That much of it may not be accurate doesn't help but in its favour it does paint a good picture of the grim brutality of the Spanish Civil War.

OP
OP
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Arrived at Granada late yesterday afternoon
Decided to stay overnight in the car park at the main entrance to The Alhabra - yes I know it's 29 euros, BUT we saved 20 euros is taxi fares, plus the cost of a campsite, which would probably have cost a further 20 euros.
Being so close to the entrance meant we could collect our tickets beforehand, which meant we didn't have to queue this morning.

The Alhambra far exceeded our expectations - can't say any more than that.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Thanks for sharing the food and scenic photos ,looks fantastic . It's going on my bucket list! Carry on having a great time!

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Good grief! It looks as if they have gone teetotal and on a diet :eek:

OP
OP
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Sorry for the delay in posting more pictures of food

Last night in Grenada we ate 'en van', Mrs C served spaghetti with a ragu, which she had made from our own oven roasted garden vegetables - yummy !

This afternoon we drove from Granada in the direction of the sunshine - which has led us to Camperstop Totana, where we were warmly welcomed by @jumar, @jumartoo and @Armytwowheels.

This evening we walked to a local restaurant, and had a great meal.

Mrs C started with what I can only describe as the biggest mixed salad I ever saw, and I had a rather nice ham and melon

For main course we had Rabbit with Garlic and Potato

This used to be one in my favourites, when we lived in Spain and I simply couldn't pass up the opportunity to enjoy it again

image.jpeg

The Rabbit was washed down with copious amounts to Rioja

For desert we shared a plate of Pan De Calatrava, which is like a bread and butter pudding, topped with a caramel custard - yummy

image.jpeg

After all the gastronomic delights we've enjoyed if the past week, I think I'm going to have to start running ultra marathons again!

OP
OP
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
not too sure on the whiped cream? not cheffy enought, salted caramel drizze might have been better...

what do you think..
I don't really like squirty cream - however I didn't let that spoil my enjoyment of the rest of the dessert

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back