I know it presents little real danger, but...... (1 Viewer)

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
........would you go on hook up, get the chairs out, take tea, go for a walk, put awning out and leave the hook up cable like this?

Apart from eddy currents (small risk) is it just me being OCD, or is that a little unpleasing to the eye? It will be a right sod to coil back up, if nothing else

IMG_2516.JPG

Jan 23, 2016
Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 660SP
Exp
25 years
........would you go on hook up, get the chairs out, take tea, go for a walk, put awning out and leave the hook up cable like this?

Apart from eddy currents (small risk) is it just me being OCD, or is that a little unpleasing to the eye? It will be a right sod to coil back up, if nothing else

View attachment 186966

Cats will love it! :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

davejen

Free Member
Aug 21, 2008
Preston
Funster No
MH
Given up travelling
Exp
Since 1992
I thought the wire had set alight!!!!
Silly me...
Cheers, Dave(y)

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
I find that's the best way to have the cable but tuck it under the moho .... It hides my grey waste dribbling out and filters it at the same time.:rolleyes:

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
If you WERE OCD then you would get the awning pegs laid out in two equal rows with the cable running up and down until the spare cable was accounted for, then a short length to the socket in a straight line.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
It looks decidedly untidy, and would "p**s" me off. However because it is hap-hazard it is unlikely to act as a tight coil and overheat. And just think of the fun it will give untangling it!.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I bet it's not connected ... the real cable runs underneath it and the 'tangled' bit is just placed on top to upset the nosy neighbours!:LOL:

adt

Mar 28, 2016
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Nuevo
Exp
Since 2016
I wondered where Don, Leslie, Cleo, Nick and Melvyn were off to next on celebrity 5 go motorhoming !

Mr Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
Since 2016, caravans before that, folding Caravan, tents before that
I don't think that actually presents a fire hazard as it is not a coil. It is the coiling of the cable that makes it an inductor, which has resistive qualities, and it is the resistance that generates the heat in a coiled cable. However, if the tangled cable is kinked, the kink itself will cause local heating and that could be a hazard in itself. Kinking may also damage the cable insulation and present a potential short circuit between the wires inside. Tightly Looping the cable around tentpegs to keep it tidy can also cause kinks. The best way to keep a cable when not in use is definitely coiled. When it is in use it should be fully uncoiled and laid freely, back and forth with gentle loops. Under the van is ok, but it could result in the cable being run over and damaged. I generally loop it along a hedge or other natural boundary.

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
I find that's the best way to have the cable but tuck it under the moho .... It hides my grey waste dribbling out and filters it at the same time.:rolleyes:
Of course it also has the benefit of extinguishing the cable when it overheats and bursts into flames!(y)

Deleted User
I like to route mine via the bike rack so I can use it as a washing line

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
A lot safer than some of the continental EHU lash ups I have seen!

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
That sounds like a good thread? "What is the worst EHU lashup seen".

If I get a few minutes I may even start it!.
I will have a think, but last weekend at Stranraer saw a German one with several adaptors housed in a plastic bag !;) Most common one is a low amp indoor wiring spool also housed in a plastic bag.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
I will have a think, but last weekend at Stranraer saw a German one with several adaptors housed in a plastic bag !;) Most common one is a low amp wiring spool also housed in a plastic bag.

I have a true story about "adapters". and Frozen Chickens!.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back