LIFE MEMBER
Feb 1, 2015
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065ff Design Edit
Exp
Since 2015.......
I still like the look of a good tent…as many others here, started off with a little frame tent… then a massive and awesome Cabanon thing that took hours to put up.. but loved it. Then moved onto a trailer tent, but it got a bit too cold in October 😂. Then the usual caravans, then to where we are now. I wouldn’t go back to a tent …😂😱
We just love getting away, and I think our son and family are getting the camping bug 👍

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
A few weeks ago at Donington race circuit a bloke pulled up in the spot next to us with his son in a £100,000 Porsche. He proceeded to set up a little tent. It pissed it down all weekend. I was impressed.

Today I'm opposite a couple of old guys at Snetterton circuit . They are in tent with a lovely Ford Mustang and a new Range Rover parked outside.

BikerGraham

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 19, 2021
Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
Funster No
MH
Autograph 75-2
Exp
camping and caravanning since a kid. New to motorhomes
Loved the tents back in the day.
Even went to France as a last minute trip with a tent in the back of an Alfa Spider a few years ago. Had a great time. But not as much as the ZZR1400 French trip a few years earlier.

Glad I have the motorhome now though 🥳🥳

IMG_0451.jpeg

IMG_0511.jpeg

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
Nylon coffin comes to mind 🤣
Yeah. Ain't a lot of room in there. If it's pee'ing it down, there's just enough room to sit in a hunched position with the micro stove in the "porch". Peeling wet cycling gear off is not fun. But it also weighs a bit over 1 kg, and packs down to something the size of a sandwich box. It'll also stand up to very nasty weather and dries in no time. Far, far better kit than the cotton based things I carried with cadets as a kid.

Oct 18, 2021
Mid Devon
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC
Exp
Camping since 1954, MoHo 2022
Been camping all my life; from very lightweight backpacking and cycling, though motorcycles, cars and vans, increasing the ‘comfort’ level as we progressed. This was the last iteration prior to getting the moho. Spent many happy years going to out of the way places in the U.K., Europe and Scandiland, until the time taken setting up and packing away, plus the joys of inclement weather, started us down a different route.

IMG_7361.jpeg

IMG_7356.jpeg

Mark and Mindy

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2017
Nr Bicester
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640 SGX
Exp
Since 2019
I started camping with the Guides, great fun as we went with the Scouts every year. I eventually managed to persuade Nick to try camping with Eurocamp when the children were small. That 3rd child made other sorts of foreign holidays so expensive and he loves the sun. Fortunately he loved it.

Then followed tents and a big trailer tent of our own. That was great once we’d managed to put it up but the children knew to stay out of the way. Not being tall they knew we’d not be talking to one another by the end. All would be forgotten an hour later though!

We never had a caravan but jumped to a tiny Autosleeper van once the children no longer holidayed with us.

The cycle begins again. One of our sons is hiring a tiny van for 4 nights next week!
I started camping with the Guides as well, then with Ranger Guides & Venture Scouts, met Mark and we camped a bit in our tent which was just big enough for a double blow up mattress, took our young son camping and he slept between us, great night's sleep but not so good to wake up and find he was spread out like a starfish in the middle of the mattress while we had rolled off our respective edges and were wedged between the side of the tent and the mattress.
We camped in the Lake District a few times but finally stopped when said son decided that he wanted a tent of his own.
We did a few cottage rentals and toured in Europe in the car with nights at hotels, visiting attractions in the area and moving on.
We've had 3 camper vans and are very happy with our Adria now.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 20, 2016
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Imala 625
Exp
Since 2016 and caravanning before that
Many years ago when we were doing historical re enactment we were sitting in the caravan when my eldest son told us that it was only "proper" camping in a tent. That was a few years ago. The picture is of him sitting outside his motorhome at the Fairport Convention Festival at Cropredy last year. The blue tent at the end is youngest son who is now looking for a T4/5. Oh how the mighty are fallen 😀

20230810_085044.jpg

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
I don't mind the occasional bit of tenting.

View attachment 900983
first thought was why is my son's set up on Fun, he has several bikes, and a few tents too, also now has my old doblo camper.
I didn't start with tents although had a few caravan holidays when a child.
all i ever wanted was a dormobile, never did get one, but have had a few camper vans and motorhomes.
I do however love sleeping in the awning, learned when grandchildren were young and changed from a 6 to 4 Berth.
On monday we go with DIL to a campsite to help her put up their 8 berth tent, stepson is working away and it's due to be raining at pitching time or the friends she is going with would help. A group of 4 nurses and families same site same pitches every year, lots for the kids to do.
did look at joining them for a few days till I saw the prices, same for 2 as it is for a family of 8 and still bank holiday/half term.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Our set up in between having a wobble box and a motorhome, nightmare getting down in the night for a pee, especially after a few beers and wine
View attachment 901074
View attachment 901073
I always think that with those roof tents and some of those huge overlanders with step ladders outside .. must be a challenge after a few drinks .. or carrying anything .

And sod putting it up and down . That's what I hated with tents and caravans , you ended up fighting everytime , spent the first 2 days of the holiday not talking 🤣🤣

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Started with a tent, then a trailer tent which took us to Sweden and Norway for five weeks when the kids were 5 and 2. Onto a caravan and then a motorhome.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Tents are great in the summer if you don't book and go during a dry spell. We stayed at a few great sites last summer with the bikes, it means you can ride a lot further with an overnight stop. My tent is about 19 years old now, it's even been used in Benidorm a few times, behind the van.
Screenshot_20240525_103430_Gallery.jpg

Oct 1, 2017
Funster No
I always think that with those roof tents and some of those huge overlanders with step ladders outside .. must be a challenge after a few drinks .. or carrying anything .

And sod putting it up and down . That's what I hated with tents and caravans , you ended up fighting everytime , spent the first 2 days of the holiday not talking 🤣🤣
The worst time was up on Skye, me and the mrs ended up getting stupid drunk watching a band in a pub, came out and decided to play scrabble and consume a bottle of port for some reason in the roof tent as the little beasties were biting good and proper, come to pack up in the morning with the mother of all hangover's and being eaten alive, we both got in the car and realised we’d packed the car keys in the zip pocket in the roof tent 🤬🤦‍♂️ so then had to unpack again, there were many expletives that morning, think we sold it not long after😂

busbuddy

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2018
leicestershire
Funster No
MH
swift suntor 630G
Exp
since 1994
Roof tents are very popular now, they look expensive until you go and see the price of normal tents 😱
You could easily spend £500 just buying a tent that dont fit into the boot of any normal car when rammed back into its bags

Mr B

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 1, 2015
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065ff Design Edit
Exp
Since 2015.......
A few weeks ago at Donington race circuit a bloke pulled up in the spot next to us with his son in a £100,000 Porsche. He proceeded to set up a little tent. It pissed it down all weekend. I was impressed.

Today I'm opposite a couple of old guys at Snetterton circuit . They are in tent with a lovely Ford Mustang and a new Range Rover parked outside.
We had over the years….3 VW Sharans, you take all the rear passenger seats out, replace with a nice air bed, a nice quilt and a comfy pillow. Many a good night following various motorsport events, rallying etc. 👍

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
I did my stint of tenting in Cubs, Scouts, Army Cadets and TA, but never thought of doing it voluntarily.

A lot of you seem to have got to MHs via an assortment of apprenticeship routes from tents of various kinds, caravans etc.

I consider that I was lucky to swerve that route and went into sailing, in which one had one's own set-up, mobile and dry.

After about 45 years it was an automatic transfer straight to a MH.

Did you other sailors on here skip the tent holiday route to a MH?

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
We had all sorts of tents when kids were young. The one I remember most was a huge frame tent, Cabanon Brittany I think. Took hours to put up. Great when up. Always had to take it down wet! Then have to put it up again to dry. Too big to go in car so tugged a bloody great trailer.
Couldn't sell it so eventually went to the tip. Had great times though, home and abroad.
Hi Bognor Saint
At Praia de Mira Municipal camp site. Portugal-School hols....... Tents ?.... AKA " Bedouin Tribes meetings " by me. Families ? ( How many in a tent ? :ROFLMAO: ) cover every inch of spare space. There are BBQ areas built all over the camp,but when a " Tranny van " comes and unloads the HUGE tent,out come full size fridge/freezers and home made re-bar/angle iron multi area BBQ's and the odd settee. The Portuguese are very friendly,generous people,one night when walking the dog around the site i took a knife and fork in my pocket, reached one big outfit,they were all sitting around eating and drinking and i pulled out the knife and fork and pulled some hungry/ hard done to faces..... and they said in Porty speak. " Come on..there is plenty to go around..." and meant it. Great atmosphere,having said that,we have offered treats and received them back from fellow Tenters/m/ho's and c/vanners.Dutch-Germans-Irish and Italians in equal amounts..... Long may it remain so.(y)
Tea Bag

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Went to Spain in 2002 with just a very small tent..it just took a double air bed..Had a great 3 weeks..BUT it was July and weather was fab...Need a raised bed now and a toilet close to hand..BUSBY😄😄😃

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
This is me today after heavy rain. As I type we’re having a thunderstorm. I’m glad of my vans ground clearance, warmth and facilities, thanks!
View attachment 901607

View attachment 901608
Where are you. We're sat in a waterlogged field at Haynes Motor Museum near Yeovil. We had a thunderstorm from 1.30pm for an hour or so an it's not stopped raining since.

Jul 27, 2013
Wilts/Oxon border
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since childhood!
Where are you. We're sat in a waterlogged field at Haynes Motor Museum near Yeovil. We had a thunderstorm from 1.30pm for an hour or so an it's not stopped raining since.
I was at the Lincolnshire Aviation Heritage Centre in East Kirkby, helping with the event they were running on Saturday and Monday. We had a mega thunderstorm after I took those pictures, and the manhole cover you can see in one of them was totally submerged by the water. Checking on my lightning app, there were a huge number of lightning strikes, and inside the van it sounded as though I was behind a waterfall!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back