Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
The joys of tenting, I’ll stick with the van.

But they’re having a few beers and making the most of it…😎

IMG_7383.jpeg

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
The joys of tenting, I’ll stick with the van.

But they’re having a few beers and making the most of it…😎

View attachment 900960
Tents were what turned us to MHs. Started with a caravan, great when the kids were young, then went back to tents when we weren't using the caravan much. Had a few wet and cold trips - ordered a MH. :)

OP
OP
Just smiffy
May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Tents were what turned us to MHs. Started with a caravan, great when the kids were young, then went back to tents when we weren't using the caravan much. Had a few wet and cold trips - ordered a MH. :)

I think we all start with tents, we used the eurocamps for the ready to move in type in France when we had the kids, great adventure for them…😎

Apr 7, 2014
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLI 580
Exp
Since 2002
Haven’t stayed in a tent since I was in the cubs some 57 years ago. We stayed at Tawd Valley in what is now West Lancs. Torrential rain, nettles, ging gang goolie, we will do our best etc. obviously it’s left an impression.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 11, 2016
Bognor Regis
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 69-4
Exp
6 years
We had all sorts of tents when kids were young. The one I remember most was a huge frame tent, Cabanon Brittany I think. Took hours to put up. Great when up. Always had to take it down wet! Then have to put it up again to dry. Too big to go in car so tugged a bloody great trailer.
Couldn't sell it so eventually went to the tip. Had great times though, home and abroad.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I think we all start with tents, we used the eurocamps for the ready to move in type in France when we had the kids, great adventure for them…😎
I started with vw campers , had my first aged 17, then when kids came along towed caravans. Then tried huge tents for a while, back to caravans then a big 7 berth tag axle motorhome. Then back to vws again for a while . Then back to motorhomes when I went fulltime.

Couldn't do tents again , and probably not caravans either.

Nov 14, 2018
Europe
Funster No
MH
A grey one
Exp
since 1996
One has to start somewhere eh? it's the adventure that counts. I once spent 2 weeks living in my VW Polo driving from north Germany to Cyprus via Austria, Yugoslavia and Greece. Not sure I could do the same again without the comforts of the van, but thumbs up to the youngsters who are giving it a go in tents etc.

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Like many here.
I've done hundreds of nights in a motorhome, but thousands of nights in tents.

Been camping every Easter with the Scouts for the last 40+ years in Snowdonia.
You then realise that is the best part of one entire year of my life in the same Welsh field with NO facilities!
(The is not including the other camps every school holiday and half term)

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
We bought a second hand igloo tent in 1980. We went to Cornwall and pumped it up at the campsite. We went to the campsite bar, and whilst enjoying our first holiday drinks, a happy camper came up to inform us that our tent had collapsed. We thought he was joking, so after spending an evening in the bar, we wandered back to find he had been telling the truth, and it had collapsed.

The second night the storm hit, and the rain poured through it. It collapsed again, and we ended up sleeping in the car.

The third night it collapsed again and Cliff broke a branch from a tree to hold it up. (Obviously the tent held up by a branch was preferable to another night in the car) :rofl:

We gave up the next day and packed it up wet and drove home.

We blew it up in mum’s garden to dry it out. It collapsed again and was left there to rot, with about a foot of air left in the tubes. Mum’s Springer Spaniel found a use for it - never failing to cock his leg on the foot high pillar of air every time he walked past it!

That was our one and only experience of camping :rofl:

Dec 25, 2015
Nelson New Zealand
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
Since 1998
I always take pity on the tent campers if it’s raining and invite them into the motorhome. We have made several friends doing this, including a young couple from Winnipeg who ended up coming to stay at our house for a week or two and we paid them to plant trees on our property. Those trees are enormous now and I think of Joel and Sam every time I look at them. We still get emails and letters from them a few times per year.

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
It’s great in theory tenting, planning it, buying the gear, talking about it

Until you do it, then it’s a miserable awful experience, always chucked it down, uncomfortable, can’t sleep, tired, wet and cold

Never again

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
I started camping with the Guides, great fun as we went with the Scouts every year. I eventually managed to persuade Nick to try camping with Eurocamp when the children were small. That 3rd child made other sorts of foreign holidays so expensive and he loves the sun. Fortunately he loved it.

Then followed tents and a big trailer tent of our own. That was great once we’d managed to put it up but the children knew to stay out of the way. Not being tall they knew we’d not be talking to one another by the end. All would be forgotten an hour later though!

We never had a caravan but jumped to a tiny Autosleeper van once the children no longer holidayed with us.

The cycle begins again. One of our sons is hiring a tiny van for 4 nights next week!

Oct 1, 2017
Funster No
We only have our tent left now we’ve sold the motorhome, only comes out for our local festival, but this year we’re going to make more use of it, weather dependent!!

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
We started with tents.
I think we had a few people puzzled when we had a big frame tent and a very small 3 wheeled Kit car, they didn’t know there was a small trailer round the back!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back