I am totally peed off ref Pet Passports!!!! (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Well, I've booked an appointment with Pets world on Monday at 2 pm so hopefully we'll be able to get it sorted then. I just hope they don't mess us around as I'm ready to stick the animal thermometer somewhere into a human where it should never go! 😆

Jul 7, 2022
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
We tried for a EU pet passport in Spain, but the vet said we needed a residential address in Spain to be able to issue us with the passport. Is this a EU rule, or should we have tried a different vet?
I was told the EU pet passport lasts for three years ... whereas the AHC British package only lasts for one return trip.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
We tried for a EU pet passport in Spain, but the vet said we needed a residential address in Spain to be able to issue us with the passport. Is this a EU rule, or should we have tried a different vet?
I was told the EU pet passport lasts for three years ... whereas the AHC British package only lasts for one return trip.
No, it is not an EU rule. However, individual vets seem to choose their own 'requirements'. Many Brits have obtained Pet Passports in Spain - try searching through the many threads on the subject for vets that have issued them.

An EU Pet Passport lasts for the lifetime of the animal, provided you keep the rabies boosters up to date. These must be given by an EU vet. Some vets give 3-year vaccines, some only 1-year. Again, you need to ask around.

May 21, 2014
Llywel Brecon
Funster No
MH
Rapido M96
Exp
Since May 2014
No, it is not an EU rule. However, individual vets seem to choose their own 'requirements'. Many Brits have obtained Pet Passports in Spain - try searching through the many threads on the subject for vets that have issued them.

An EU Pet Passport lasts for the lifetime of the animal, provided you keep the rabies boosters up to date. These must be given by an EU vet. Some vets give 3-year vaccines, some only 1-year. Again, you need to ask around.
Hi Maz, all correct as always. The discrepancy over 1 and 3 year vaccines is again being questioned because, according to the vet we use in Chabanais, some of the manufacturers are only making 1 year vaccines. For new vaccinations in the EU the first is 1 year and then 3 year if available of the same type.
In Spain animals are required to be vaccinated yearly so could be classed as unvaccinated if in years 2 and 3 of a 3 year vaccine.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
(though in the Valencian community that's not quite it, you pet is registered and a plastic ID card issued)
Same in Murcia
France's so-called 'guidelines' are far from clear
& illegal as the rules are the same eu wide. The only difference that can be is if it offers "the citizen greater protection/benefits"
But its common in Spain for a 1 year rabies vaccine.
& a legal requirement here in Murcia.

So what does that additional sticker actually mean? Can anyone in Spain explain what its point is, please?
here both stickers come attached to the vials. The first is batch , date ,etc & the second the official year date. The second one has to be attached next to dat, time, address, signature & stamp of the vet then encapsulated
That would barely make it worth doing in Spain.
Why ,the jab is 18€'s so even x 3 still cheaper than a Uk vet visit

The AHC is an official document, recognised by Border Control as proof of valid rabies vaccination. It should therefore be acceptable to an EU vet.
It is a modified export document which once correctly filled in by a legally able vet is acceptable to all & anyone requiring sight of it.
(Note - no fourth column or extra sticker).
Possibly because they know you aren't a resident? here both stickers come attached to the vials. The first is batch , date ,etc & the second the official year date. The vet could put it on the box on the right , far lect before dating ,signing & stamping.
Is this a EU rule, or should we have tried a different vet?
Tried a different one. No requirment to live anwhere
I was told the EU pet passport lasts for three years .
No it lasts until you run out of pages. I am still using an old type one where you have to manually encapsulate each date, time, signature & stamp

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
Hi Maz, all correct as always. The discrepancy over 1 and 3 year vaccines is again being questioned because, according to the vet we use in Chabanais, some of the manufacturers are only making 1 year vaccines. For new vaccinations in the EU the first is 1 year and then 3 year if available of the same type.
In Spain animals are required to be vaccinated yearly so could be classed as unvaccinated if in years 2 and 3 of a 3 year vaccine.
Hi Mike. Call me cynical, but it would be in the manufacturers' interests to push 1-year vaccines - that way they sell far more of their product. Using 1-year vaccines when 3-year vaccines are available is hardly in the dogs' or owners' best interests.

Do you have a link to the statement that I have highlighted in red, please? This was not the case when we were still in the EU, and as far as I know there has been no EU-wide change in the rabies vaccination regime. It would seem to be a backward step when licensed 3-year vaccines have been previously accepted for the initial vaccination.

Spain seems to vary from region to region as to how long they consider a rabies vaccination to be valid, regardless of the manufacturer's stated duration. However, it is only the 'valid to' date on the dog's Pet Passport that is of any interest to Border Control.

Jul 4, 2021
Cornwall, UK
Funster No
MH
A class pegaso 590
Exp
4 years
We are about 14km south of Oliva in Eastern Spain and arranged to get a pet passport for our Bella at El Gat Blau vets (it's where we took Romy over 2 years ago when she was poorly and vet was great). Yesterday we made an appointment for 6.00 pm tonight after confirming she could do it and that Bella had already had her rabies jab and been chipped. Unfortunately when we got there after waiting 5 minutes the vet said she had an emergency with a cat which she had to stitch up so we went back at 6.30 pm ... then the 'fun' started!

We showed her the AHC, explained the stuff on it, confirmed that we wanted a pet passport with the rabies and chip info transferring from the AHC, er ... nope ... can't do that! As she hadn't administered the rabies jab she wouldn't be able to stick in the official Spanish stamp to confirm that it had been done - the sticker is unique to each rabies vac and separate from the usual vac label (which isn't needed as they can write this in instead). She was insistent that we could use the AHC rabies vac info as proof for Bella for future trips in conjunction with the PP, but didn't seem to understand that the AHC would expire after 4 months from date of issue - the page with the info on is no 11 of 12 so there's no doubt it is an integral part of the AHC so even thought it stated the rabies jab was in date until 2025, the document itself would be invalid and not accepted. She said she could do another rabies vac for Bella which she could put in the passport but ONLY for 1 year so that was no good to us. To say we're miffed is an understatement, we only went back to Oliva for the vet, although we did get a bit of shopping whilst there but didn't need to do so, it just passed a bit of time, so it turned out to be a total waste of time and we are no further on.

What's annoying is that there was a UK couple asking us about how to get a PP and we suggested they contact a vet in the local village so cycled in and enquired about it. He'd rung his wife about it who in his absence relayed the info to us and said the vet wouldn't give a 3 year vac as the existing 3 year one was still valid for over a year, but they wanted a 3 year one as they wouldn't be abroad before the previous one expired; when the husband returned he explained it to us and it turned out she had got the wrong end of the stick as the vet wanted to give a 3 year vac regardless. As we didn't need a vac for Bella and had other plans anyway we left that morning so I gave them my phone number in order to text me with what happened at the vet's later that day so I could put it on here for those who might want to go there. Turns out that the PP cost €16 and €21 for a 3 year rabies jab, no consultation fee so blooming annoyed as had we known we'd have done the same for Bella.

We'll try some other vets tomorrow but it seems like they make it up as they go along, a bit like French ones, some do this, others that, and yet more something else!
Hi I got mine done in Portugal no problem just copied from my English dogs passport Now in Benidorm and people are having it done here, if you’re worried about the Rabies just go to your vet in England to do the vaccination in your new passport, I have now traviled into and out of England with no problems

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
Hi I got mine done in Portugal no problem just copied from my English dogs passport Now in Benidorm and people are having it done here, if you’re worried about the Rabies just go to your vet in England to do the vaccination in your new passport, I have now traviled into and out of England with no problems
No, no and no again! Do not let a GB vet enter a rabies vaccination in an EU Pet Passport - it will invalidate it! Rabies vaccines must be given in the EU!

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
As Maz said (and I hope she calmed down before blowing a gasket! :oops: ) you must NEVER EVER let a UK vet so much as 'sniff' an EU PP ... if they amend or enter anything into it then it will be useless, no ifs, no buts, it's stuffed and you'd have to start all over again by getting an AHC then a new PP.

Basically only an EU official vet can do a rabies jab and enter it into an EU PP.

May 21, 2014
Llywel Brecon
Funster No
MH
Rapido M96
Exp
Since May 2014
Hi Mike. Call me cynical, but it would be in the manufacturers' interests to push 1-year vaccines - that way they sell far more of their product. Using 1-year vaccines when 3-year vaccines are available is hardly in the dogs' or owners' best interests.

Do you have a link to the statement that I have highlighted in red, please? This was not the case when we were still in the EU, and as far as I know there has been no EU-wide change in the rabies vaccination regime. It would seem to be a backward step when licensed 3-year vaccines have been previously accepted for the initial vaccination.

Spain seems to vary from region to region as to how long they consider a rabies vaccination to be valid, regardless of the manufacturer's stated duration. However, it is only the 'valid to' date on the dog's Pet Passport that is of any interest to Border Control.
Having been told by three different vets in France that this is the case ( Brittany, Chabanais and Albert) I had not considered that this was not correct. Will look for confirmation. Agree with the cynical side.

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
For new vaccinations in the EU the first is 1 year and then 3 year if available of the same type.
I'm unaware of a new EU wide requirement ref an initial 1 year vac however that seems to be aimed at pets who have never had a jab so possibly a way to build up their level of protection sooner, or an overdue booster, it could also be in case the first one didn't take as well so a second one a year later should hopefully sort that.

I've heard this a few times in Spain from various pet owners who have obtained a PP here but they've always said they were told it was just the first (ever) vac which had to be 1 year, as their pooches had ones previously which were still valid they were able to get 3 year ones.

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
As Maz said (and I hope she calmed down before blowing a gasket! :oops: ) you must NEVER EVER let a UK vet so much as 'sniff' an EU PP ... if they amend or enter anything into it then it will be useless, no ifs, no buts, it's stuffed and you'd have to start all over again by getting an AHC then a new PP.

Basically only an EU official vet can do a rabies jab and enter it into an EU PP.
I agree that it's generally safest not to let a British vet anywhere near your EU Pet Passport, but they are allowed to enter worming treatment in it. This would really only be of use if you were going on a very short trip abroad.
PS Gasket intact. :wink:

May 21, 2014
Llywel Brecon
Funster No
MH
Rapido M96
Exp
Since May 2014
I'm unaware of a new EU wide requirement ref an initial 1 year vac however that seems to be aimed at pets who have never had a jab so possibly a way to build up their level of protection sooner, or an overdue booster, it could also be in case the first one didn't take as well so a second one a year later should hopefully sort that.

I've heard this a few times in Spain from various pet owners who have obtained a PP here but they've always said they were told it was just the first (ever) vac which had to be 1 year, as their pooches had ones previously which were still valid they were able to get 3 year ones.
I too am unaware of an EU requirement and suspect that as France require all resident dogs to have annual vaccinations the definition of “resident” is being interpreted by veterinarians.

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
Well, she's home. Came through calais with lots of scrutiny but Betty beat brexit.
EU passport

Attachments

• 20221229_093415.jpg
    20221229_093415.jpg
    408.5 KB · Views: 21
Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
The initial vet we visited in France that we obtained our PP from informed us that the first dose of rabies vaccine was a single year, then on a three year. We went with it and got PP @€11, and rabies vaccine @€18. Returned to France about 9 months later, visited different vet and got 3 year vaccination for about €30.

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
Well, she's home. Came through calais with lots of scrutiny but Betty beat brexit.
EU passport
Funny I always get worried when we do pet control even though we’ve done about 12 now, the writing in my pups Belgium passports is atrocious and I can probably make out a few bits of their microchip number but pet control do not even think about it when we go through😁😁

Jan 22, 2022
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis-I 588
In Ireland vets are allowed to transfer the rabies vaccination date to the passport from an Animal Health Certificate. However they cannot backdate the date they read the dog's microchip. Irish passports were accepted in Folkestone for travel to EU but not in Calais to return to UK. Fortunately were still in date on Animal Health Certificate but were told passport would not be accepted next time. Were given 12 page document to confirm this! We were back in Ireland and got the dogs another rabies vaccine this time with the same date for microchip reading. Passport accepted at both Folkestone and Calais when went to France in November. Two passports plus two rabies vaccine in Ireland still significantly cheaper than one Animal Health Certificate in UK (also cheaper then 2 rabies shots) and last 3 years rather than 4 months. No problem giving dogs a booster rabies shot at short intervals. Initial standard vaccination course for pups is repeated at 2 to 4 weeks. In southenr Spain presumably booster rabies vaccines are given annually. Additional vaccine shot will boos immunity.

Note that in Ireland are now checking passports/AHC. At least they did in Dublin port when we went by Irish Ferries in September 2022. Checked passports, microchips and date of worming as also need worming tablet 1 to 5 days before arriving in Ireland. No checks in Belfast when we travelled in March 2022 although technically it is a requirement there too.

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
In Ireland vets are allowed to transfer the rabies vaccination date to the passport from an Animal Health Certificate. However they cannot backdate the date they read the dog's microchip. Irish passports were accepted in Folkestone for travel to EU but not in Calais to return to UK. Fortunately were still in date on Animal Health Certificate but were told passport would not be accepted next time. Were given 12 page document to confirm this! We were back in Ireland and got the dogs another rabies vaccine this time with the same date for microchip reading. Passport accepted at both Folkestone and Calais when went to France in November. Two passports plus two rabies vaccine in Ireland still significantly cheaper than one Animal Health Certificate in UK (also cheaper then 2 rabies shots) and last 3 years rather than 4 months. No problem giving dogs a booster rabies shot at short intervals. Initial standard vaccination course for pups is repeated at 2 to 4 weeks. In southenr Spain presumably booster rabies vaccines are given annually. Additional vaccine shot will boos immunity.
Hi. I would be very interested to read that 12 page document. Do you think you could scan it and post it on here, please?

Whilst vets cannot backdate the date they read the microchip, there is provision for the date of implantation of the microchip to be used instead. It is the date of implantation that should be used for a Pet Passport issued on the basis of transferred vaccination details.

When my dog was a puppy (11 years ago) it was normal for them to have an initial course of two rabies vaccinations about 3 weeks apart. The accepted current regime (in the UK anyway) is for just one initial vaccination. I don't know when this change occurred.

Jan 22, 2022
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis-I 588
Hi. I would be very interested to read that 12 page document. Do you think you could scan it and post it on here, please?

Whilst vets cannot backdate the date they read the microchip, there is provision for the date of implantation of the microchip to be used instead. It is the date of implantation that should be used for a Pet Passport issued on the basis of transferred vaccination details.

When my dog was a puppy (11 years ago) it was normal for them to have an initial course of two rabies vaccinations about 3 weeks apart. The accepted current regime (in the UK anyway) is for just one initial vaccination. I don't know when this change occurred.
A vet can only certify what is within their control. What is important is to show that the vet was certain that the dog they vaccinated for rabies was the one with the chip that was read at the time it was vaccinated. Unless the vet implanted the microchip and this is specifically entered in their records they cannot certify the date of implantation. We adopted the dogs and although the date of implantation is on a database a vet could not certify the date as to do so would mean accepting liability for that company's admin procedure.

The form was a proforma with additional photocopies of the dog passport.

Attachments

• PETS1.jpg
    PETS1.jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 19
  • PETS2.jpg
    PETS2.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 24
  • PETS3.jpg
    PETS3.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 15
  • Pets4.jpg
    Pets4.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 15
  • Pets5.jpg
    Pets5.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 17
  • Informative
Reactions: maz

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
A vet can only certify what is within their control. What is important is to show that the vet was certain that the dog they vaccinated for rabies was the one with the chip that was read at the time it was vaccinated. Unless the vet implanted the microchip and this is specifically entered in their records they cannot certify the date of implantation. We adopted the dogs and although the date of implantation is on a database a vet could not certify the date as to do so would mean accepting liability for that company's admin procedure.

The form was a proforma with additional photocopies of the dog passport.
Thank you for taking the trouble to upload those photos. (y)

It is interesting tho' that the only check box that was ticked on the form was Item 5, whereas Item 24 would appear to be the most relevant one if the issue was the date of microchip reading being after the date of the rabies vaccine.

BBE246C4-7365-475D-A8F2-40D320C310C0.jpeg

8B02FFBE-EB80-442E-BAF5-44C8CAAAE56B.jpeg

I am not sure what exact form of proof of microchip implantation date a vet would deem acceptable but I do know that Pet Passports have been issued on that basis. I believe that a certificate of microchip registration can be obtained from the relevant database company. Perhaps someone who has had a Pet Passport issued with transferred vaccination details can tell us what evidence they had to provide to the vet?

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Well ... that was another waste of time!!!!! 😡. Bella is still PP-less! 🤬

Petsworld are now adding a €21 admin fee (mandated from head office) so the total cost, including €12 for the PP and €18 for a 3 year rabies jab, is €51. They will just do the PP & admin fee for €33 but of course that means there's no record of the original jab in the PP.

Anyone who is thinking of using any of the Petsworld branches better make other plans. We are back to square one and getting even more *£&#@*-£#@* with it all.

Nov 5, 2013
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic e-line
Exp
Since 2013
Thank you for taking the trouble to upload those photos. (y)

It is interesting tho' that the only check box that was ticked on the form was Item 5, whereas Item 24 would appear to be the most relevant one if the issue was the date of microchip reading being after the date of the rabies vaccine.

View attachment 702092

View attachment 702097

I am not sure what exact form of proof of microchip implantation date a vet would deem acceptable but I do know that Pet Passports have been issued on that basis. I believe that a certificate of microchip registration can be obtained from the relevant database company. Perhaps someone who has had a Pet Passport issued with transferred vaccination details can tell us what evidence they had to provide to the vet?

Previous Pet passport and AHC are both (or should be) valid.

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back