I am totally peed off ref Pet Passports!!!! (2 Viewers)

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
Really anything post UK leaving the EU is irrelevant re completing the EU pet passports, because the UK can only look not touch (re rabies anyway).

I get sidetracked looking at people's experience on rules on things because I forget that some people will have struck lucky and 'got away' with something, maybe they don't even know they did. Then they are very happy to give that info out as fact when all it does is muddy the waters.
Janie, much as I love you, you can be very frustrating at times! :wink:

The Pet Passport completion pages that I posted are relevant because they refer to when we were able to issue them as part of the EU. In other words, they explain in clear English what can and can't be done under the EU Pet Passport scheme. This guidance is based upon EU Regulation 576/2013 which has not changed since Brexit.

It's nothing to do with 'striking lucky' or 'getting away' with anything. It's adhering to the actual EU regulations!

Nov 13, 2017
Pembrokeshire, Greece and everywhere in between
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 750
You all know my opinion of dogs, but one thing that I would be worried about , is it ok to keep giving these dogs vaccination they don't need.
When we got Honey’s AHC in the spring our U.K.vet advised me to get her a passport while we were away and that a second rabies jab within a couple of months would not harm her. We had already planned to get her a passport and the vet in Preveza also said having another wouldn’t hurt her but her was happy to transfer the info re her 3yr U.K. administered jab into the new Pp.

Nov 5, 2013
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic e-line
Exp
Since 2013
The Spanish PP has a fourth column specifically for the sticker so if that is left blank I'm concerned that the rabies vac is classed as invalid ... I'm assuming that the PP they use is either specifically for Spain or a new version that not everyone is using yet. I've got a headache! 😐
I see your problem,but a transfer does not need a sticker,however if your dog(s) have a booster then yes there should be a sticker.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
Yes, but they should not have done it. This is the issue with people's experiences rather than the actual rules being followed. Also you don't say when you changed the passport. If it was pre the UK leaving it makes a difference.
Yesterday on a thread (not here) about people importing cars from UK to Spain there were so many posts saying about people's experiences in 2017 etc 🤦🏽‍♀️ Janie
Was new Passports last October, we went over on a AHC.

Dec 31, 2010
Sunny South Shields
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin i7900
Exp
Since 2010
When we got Honey’s AHC in the spring our U.K.vet advised me to get her a passport while we were away and that a second rabies jab within a couple of months would not harm her. We had already planned to get her a passport and the vet in Preveza also said having another wouldn’t hurt her but her was happy to transfer the info re her 3yr U.K. administered jab into the new Pp.
We were told the same by our vet.

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Janie, much as I love you, you can be very frustrating at times! :wink:

The Pet Passport completion pages that I posted are relevant because they refer to when we were able to issue them as part of the EU. In other words, they explain in clear English what can and can't be done under the EU Pet Passport scheme. This guidance is based upon EU Regulation 576/2013 which has not changed since Brexit.

It's nothing to do with 'striking lucky' or 'getting away' with anything. It's adhering to the actual EU regulations!
Ditto Max 🤗 but things do change, France changed passport issuance for instance. There must be a multitude of guidances out there for each particular country.
And if a UK vet cannot put a rabies vaccination stamp in an EU pet passport after administering it how can an EU vet remove it from one piece of paperwork and apply it to another to make it legal?
It is clear how to get an EU pet passport. And currently UK residents should feel lucky that they can still get an EU pet passport, because they don't live there 🤷🏽‍♀️, I digress. It says that the pet must be microchipped, over a certain age, you go to the vet and they administer the vaccine and issue the passport and that's it (though in the Valencian community that's not quite it, you pet is registered and a plastic ID card issued) anyway if people just took note of that rather than the but I did this, the vet did that it would be easier. Minxy would have gone to the same vet as her friend, job done.
Janie

Dec 31, 2010
Sunny South Shields
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin i7900
Exp
Since 2010
So as yours was a new entry in the passport did you have to wait the 21? days or come back on the AHC?
We had it done 4 weeks before heading home, but yes you have to wait 21 days but we did have the AHC to fall back on.

Dec 31, 2010
Sunny South Shields
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin i7900
Exp
Since 2010
Many will.
But then when I have said various vets about Izzy not having all her jabs at once they say it's a good idea not to.....
I don't trust vets 100% they are part of the pharmaceutical industry. Janie
They do have to administer the rabbies jab multiple times if the titre blood test count is low.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
They do have to administer the rabbies jab multiple times if the titre blood test count is low.
Yes, It is perfectly ok to have multiple rabies jabs.
No vet should sign their name on an official document to say something administered when they have not done it themselves.
Not illegal in terms of a national law but against their own code of practice and could be struck off.

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
Ditto Max 🤗 but things do change, France changed passport issuance for instance. There must be a multitude of guidances out there for each particular country.
And if a UK vet cannot put a rabies vaccination stamp in an EU pet passport after administering it how can an EU vet remove it from one piece of paperwork and apply it to another to make it legal?
It is clear how to get an EU pet passport. And currently UK residents should feel lucky that they can still get an EU pet passport, because they don't live there 🤷🏽‍♀️,
Including my name, apparently! :laughing:

France's so-called 'guidelines' are far from clear and even I-cad's own website contains contradictions. If there are all these other 'guidelines' for other EU countries, why are they so elusive to obtain in print?

I'm fairly sure an EU vet should not be removing an existing rabies vaccine sticker and applying it elsewhere, although I have seen it mentioned on Facebook that this has occasionally been done. There is, however, no reason for them not to copy the details of that vaccine into a new Pet Passport, as described in the pages I posted earlier in this thread. They are certifying that they have seen a valid proof of current rabies vaccine.

And finally, as has been illustrated and reiterated in many threads, you do not have to be an EU resident to obtain and use an EU Pet Passport.

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Esprit I7150 EB
Exp
Since 2016
Thanks, that's my thinking too but I'm wary as we won't likely be abroad again for a while. If the UK vac, written in the PP, signed & stamped by the Spanish vet, isn't accepted, or if we instead had a 1 year jab entered, it would expire before we travelled and we'd have to do an AHC again.
Ours eas not the UK vaccination but the extra one the Spanish vet did (save getting another AHC), original one had a sticker but wrong dates so the re-issued one only has it written down. You can ask BF if they will accept in advance by mailing pettravelexpert@brittanyferries.com

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
Just picking up on this not from a smug perspective having got mine issued yesterday.
But its common in Spain for a 1 year rabies vaccine. That would barely make it worth doing in Spain.

Everything that needs to be be said has been said.
The vet we used issued the rabies vaccine as it a part of her doing the passport.
She done it because she can legally issue the passport despite me being a non resident of Belgium.
Slightly easier for me as I will have a Portuguese passport as my mum's Portuguese.

The key is in the research, sounds like the vet Minxy used changed the goalposts but as said, my research led me to understand that its common practice in Spain for a 1 year rabies jab, and French vets all for you to be part of Icad before doing it..

Good luck in getting it sorted though.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
There is, however, no reason for them not to copy the details of that vaccine into a new Pet Passport, as described in the pages I posted earlier in this thread. They are certifying that they have seen a valid proof of current rabies vaccine.
My veterinarian friends and family would disagree. This is why, when you get an AHC from the place at Folkestone, they will not accept documentation from you as the pet owner. You have to get your vet who did the rabies to send them directly a copy of their certified document.

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
My veterinarian friends and family would disagree. This is why, when you get an AHC from the place at Folkestone, they will not accept documentation from you as the pet owner. You have to get your vet who did the rabies to send them directly a copy of their certified document.
Is that because a rabies vaccine done in the UK will just be on a separate record card, rather than a recognised official document such as an AHC? Vet's record cards seem to be many and varied, and so would maybe be easy to replicate?

The AHC is an official document, recognised by Border Control as proof of valid rabies vaccination. It should therefore be acceptable to an EU vet.

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
That's interesting.
We got an AHC from Tom in Nantwich (see other thread) and he was more than happy for us to use our old EU passport for the details of vaccines etc.
Not sure my vet would even send a copy on to Abbeywell without charging so its good Tom set up his practice.

Nov 5, 2013
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic e-line
Exp
Since 2013

All I had to do was photograph certain pages out of our existing UK pet passport,all done in a couple of hours on a wet Bank holiday Sunday👍

Camdoon

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 22, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Supreme
Exp
Our dog was vaccinated before he left (2yr) - 1 year when issued his passport in Spain and 3 years when we the vet pointed out the duration when returning in France.

Attachments

• IMG_20221230_135709.jpg
    IMG_20221230_135709.jpg
    322 KB · Views: 26
Aug 9, 2016
norfolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Scout
Exp
Since 2016
Hi, we are getting our AHC from Abbeywell in Folkestone and they accepted copies of old passport and separate certificate issued by our vet for this year's rabies booster. We supplied the copies, they didn't contact our vet as far as I am aware because I'm pretty sure our vet would have charged us.

Stonemags76

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2011
Derbyshire Dales
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleepers Warwick Duo
Exp
Full Time 2011-2013, now part timers!
Got Molly’s from Pets World at La Zenia at the end of November. They can do a three year rabies in Alicante province (although the vet wanted to do a one year one), but only one year in Andalusia province. It’s to do with proximity to Morocco apparently. Molly had a year to go on her English rabies jab, but we asked our vet before we went & he assured us it was ok. We used a campsite address as she needed to fill something in. We used the AHC to come home with, as the rabies was less than 21 days, & we didn’t want to confuse things with a passport & the AHC, so we are hoping all is well. The French vet that did the worming entered it on the AHC, but checked the passport, & seemed to think all was well. We will only know when we go back over! Fingers crossed 🤞!

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Hi, we are getting our AHC from Abbeywell in Folkestone and they accepted copies of old passport and separate certificate issued by our vet for this year's rabies booster. We supplied the copies, they didn't contact our vet as far as I am aware because I'm pretty sure our vet would have charged us.
Thats strange as I went through the process of getting one from they and they only accepted the rabies certificate directly from my vet.

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
The AHC can only be produced by an official UK vet authorised to do them and recognised by the EU etc for that purpose. The AHC vets will only accept a completed certificate of rabies vaccination from your own vet if it has all the info on, ie vac name, batch details, dates etc, plus chip etc info, if these are not provided on the cert given to you when the vac was done then they need it to be sent to them direct from the vaccinating vet.

For both occasions when we needed AHCs our vets did not give us certs but sent them directly to Abbeywell without charge.

Reactions: maz
OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
They don't remove anything, they just copy the info across, sign & stamp it to confirm it is genuine as it's taken from an official document (AHC) and that's it. If this was an issue then our Portuguese PPs would have been invalid which they weren't.

Aug 9, 2016
norfolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Scout
Exp
Since 2016
Thats strange as I went through the process of getting one from they and they only accepted the rabies certificate directly from my vet.
Well I suppose it's possible that they contacted my vet without me knowing. We have had vet bills in excess of £5,000 this year when our 14 year old chap snapped his cruciate ligament. Perhaps my vet felt sorry for me and decided not to charge. It's possible 😀😀

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Abbeywell will not contact your vet, if they need any further documentation they will contact you and you will then have to arrange for it to be sent to them directly by your vet.

Aug 1, 2021
Pembrokeshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto-T Expedition 66
This is the new pet passport we had issued for our Border Terrier last month in North East Spain (Roses, Catalunya). Includes a 3 year jab. (Note - no fourth column or extra sticker).

As we returned back to the UK 5 weeks later (more than 21 days since jab) we used the new PP rather than the AHC that we had travelled out on - with no issues - (P&O - Calais - Dover - for the pet lounge).

IMG_20221230_203145.jpg

Lizbiebrowne

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 1, 2020
Teesside
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654
Exp
Since 2019.
No wonder your in a quandary as that makes no sense at all,as you know from your Portuguese passport you can have the info transferred,stamped and signed👍
It would then be possible to have a booster but why no sticker for that I've no idea 🤔

So no you do not need a sticker on a transfer,just the vaccine used and the date given,stamped and signed,used ours twice now 👍

View attachment 701042
Her handwriting hasn’t improved since we had our dog’s pet passport from her!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back