I am totally peed off ref Pet Passports!!!! (3 Viewers)

May 14, 2021
East Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
ADRIA Twin 640SLB
Exp
Since 2012
Makes you wonder if all completely legal to get an EU pet passport anywhere in the EU for any pet in the world why there is so much problem for those who try. Perhaps the intended rules were badly written and leave too much open for interpretation and the unavoidable human error aspect that comes with it.

I thought the French had openly said no.

Hope you all get sorted. šŸ˜Š

Last edited:
Reactions: maz

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
Makes you wonder if all completely legal to get an EU pet passport anywhere in the EU for any pet in the world why there is so much problem for those who try. Perhaps the intended rules were badly written and leave too much open for interpretation and the unavoidable human error aspect that comes with it.

I thought the French had openly said no.

Hope you all get sorted. šŸ˜Š
There never was a problem for non-EU residents to obtain EU Pet Passports for their animals before Br*x*t. Americans, Canadians, etc had been doing so for years, albeit in relatively small numbers. Then Br*x*t happened and suddenly there were loads of non-EU residents seeking Pet Passports. And not just any old non-EU residents but Brits (shock horror!), who had declared to the world that they didn't really want anything to do with the EU anymore. :RollEyes: Call me cynical, but to me the obstacles (all surmountable) being put in the way of Brits obtaining EU Pet Passports are more of a political knee-jerk reaction to Br*x*t than anything else.

Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
Minxy I appreciate the admin fee is irritating and theyā€™re obviously cashing in on PPS - maybe to offset other costs. But if you can overcome the frustration itā€™s still incredibly good value and Iā€™d just bite the bullet and do it to save days driving round and trying to get it done.
In other news are nozzles bad at Mar Menor? Off there with school in a week or so.

Aug 1, 2021
Pembrokeshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto-T Expedition 66
No problem at all getting a PP last November in northern Spain.

Walked into the nearest vets (without an appointment) and 45 minutes later walked out again with a new EU passport and a 3 year rabies booster.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Reactions: maz
Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
There at the moment. Bit of mozzie spray early morning and early evening if youā€™re out and about and youā€™ll be fine!
Hi.
Eaten alive at Palencia Aire (Near the hospital ) Never had any trouble there before,so, Mozzie spray IF you decide to stay there.
Tea Bag

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Minxy I appreciate the admin fee is irritating and theyā€™re obviously cashing in on PPS - maybe to offset other costs. But if you can overcome the frustration itā€™s still incredibly good value and Iā€™d just bite the bullet and do it to save days driving round and trying to get it done.
We're not driving around other than the first one where we went back for the appointment, La Zenia was on our route anyway and we got some shopping at Al Campo and Lidl, plus fuel at Al Campo, all near Petsworld. We'll get her one before we return home but have over 5 weeks yet to sort it.
In other news are nozzles bad at Mar Menor? Off there with school in a week or so.
I got a couple of bites but we only stopped the one night, I'm sure if we'd stopped longer I'd have ended up a sporty mess though as they love the taste of me.

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
On our way to Cabo de Palos, where we're staying next to the lighthouse for a couple of nights, due to a diversion for roadworks we passed a couple of vets so I popped in. The first said he'd only issue PPs to residents or Spanish nationals ... I didn't bother to ask him to show me the 'rule' about this as there isn't one, I got the feeling it's just how he does business. There was another a short distance away but unfortunately the vet was away on holiday so no joy there. We're not going out of our way, if I see one I'll pop in and ask though.

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Itā€™s clearly stressing you out, Iā€™d suggest paying the ā‚¬51 and chalking it up to experience. The get on with enjoying your holiday time, Itā€™s still amazing VFM in the long runā€¦. Also saves chasing around trying to save a few euros.
Nah, it's not stressing me out, I'm just a drama queen! šŸ˜†. Gotta give you lot summit to get your teeth into. šŸ˜

As for paying ā‚¬51 ... I'm a Yorkshire lass ... Do you want me to have to go around with a sack over my head due to the shame of paying too much? šŸ˜±. On second thoughts don't answer that! šŸ¤”

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Finally got one of these for Bella, ā‚¬37 including 3 year rabies jab. :Grin:

IMG_20230128_222838~2.jpg

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
For anyone who is interested we used the vet I mentioned in post #1 who another MH couple had used, they are called Almenara Veterinaria:
at https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.google.com/maps/place//data=!4m2!3m1!1s0xd60115e17ddc2a1:0xcc276ffad2d544dc&ved=2ahUKEwjerJT2nev8AhULLNMKHcy0CwgQ4kB6BAgAEB4&cd&psig=AOvVaw2DhjEJgQv6yuqltc2rPsuN&ust=1675028598651000

I rang yesterday morning and was able to book an appointment for 1.00 pm today without too much trouble as they spoke some English.

The other couple had the PP done by an older lady whereas ours was done by 2 much younger ladies (20s/30s) - I think they are the vet's daughters who are now working in the practice. They understood what we wanted however it was clear they hadn't done one before, or at least not without help, so it took a while. They needed the AHC and we also took Bella's microchip card so they could cross check it, they also needed my passport number to register me as the owner for the Valencia records (not all areas do this).

They had to amend it though as on the rabies vac section they put the vac date correctly on line 1, but in line 2 where the valid from date should have been they put the valid to date, which should have gone in line 3 which they left blank. I managed to inform them of the problem and they were able to correct it so it's now okay. Good job I knew what was required!

IMG_20230128_144520~2.jpg

If you do use them then don't attempt to park your MH on the smaller side roads as there are one way streets to contend with which are steep and not a lot of parking anyway with some being a bit narrow. Much better to do what we did and park on the main road and walk to them, about 1 minute.

Last edited:
Nov 24, 2017
Greater London
Funster No
MH
2021 Burstner TD680G
Exp
Camping , caravanning, campervaning for 10 years
Now...
Not wishing to upset the OP but there is a mistake on the page shown..... the " valid from" date should be 3 weeks later than the date of vaccination. Whether that will be picked up at a crossing point and made into an issue I cannot say but best to get it corrected if at all possible

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Now...
Not wishing to upset the OP but there is a mistake on the page shown..... the " valid from" date should be 3 weeks later than the date of vaccination. Whether that will be picked up at a crossing point and made into an issue I cannot say but best to get it corrected if at all possible
Bella already had a rabies jab fully detailed on her AHC before we travelled to France/Spain so it's actually a booster in the PP rather than the initial vac so the 21 day requirement doesn't apply.

Nov 24, 2017
Greater London
Funster No
MH
2021 Burstner TD680G
Exp
Bella already had a rabies jab fully detailed on her AHC before we travelled to France/Spain so it's actually a booster in the PP rather than the initial vac so the 21 day requirement doesn't apply.
Ok, as long as you're happy. Our PP done 10 days ago in Spain has the 21 day gap shown.

Aug 1, 2021
Pembrokeshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto-T Expedition 66
I agree with NicandJay - our "valid from" date in line 2 is 21 days after the "vax date" in line 1. Ours was obviously a booster jab too as we had travelled out on an AHC with an associated rabies jab. But as this is a first entry into a new PP then I don't think you can rely on the AHC for supporting evidence of previous vaccination - the AHC is now irrelevant in PP terms. Regarding your new PP, this new jab is in effect the initial vaccination.

Minxy - when do you return? If it's within the next 21 days I'd use the AHC rather than the PP. I'd also get the vet to amend line 2 to the correct "valid from" date in your new PP to prevent the possibility of any issues using it in the future.

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
I agree with NicandJay - our "valid from" date in line 2 is 21 days after the "vax date" in line 1. Ours was obviously a booster jab too as we had travelled out on an AHC with an associated rabies jab. But as this is a first entry into a new PP then I don't think you can rely on the AHC for supporting evidence of previous vaccination - the AHC is now irrelevant in PP terms. Regarding your new PP, this new jab is in effect the initial vaccination.

Minxy - when do you return? If it's within the next 21 days I'd use the AHC rather than the PP. I'd also get the vet to amend line 2 to the correct "valid from" date in your new PP to prevent the possibility of any issues using it in the future.
Minxy is the one who is correct here. It is a rabies booster given before expiry of the previous vaccination and therefore the 21 days waiting period does not apply. The AHC is proof of continuity of vaccination, which can be shown alongside the Pet Passport.

Aug 1, 2021
Pembrokeshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto-T Expedition 66
@Minxy is the one who is correct here. It is a rabies booster given before expiry of the previous vaccination and therefore the 21 days waiting period does not apply. The AHC is proof of continuity of vaccination, which can be shown alongside the Pet Passport.
Happy to be corrected. It's interesting that the vets issuing the PP don't understand the requirements though. As well as adding an extra 21 days for validity in mine (and NicandJay's) PPs, our Spanish vet, with perfect English language skills, asked us about our return date to the UK and stated that if we we're returning within 21 days we must use the AHC that we had travelled out on, and not the PP.

Nov 24, 2017
Greater London
Funster No
MH
2021 Burstner TD680G
Exp
Minxy is the one who is correct here. It is a rabies booster given before expiry of the previous vaccination and therefore the 21 days waiting period does not apply. The AHC is proof of continuity of vaccination, which can be shown alongside the Pet Passport.
That's good to hear. I just didnt want Minxy to have any problems. I suppose I have only one question though maz...If the AHC is strictly a UK thing why will it then count as continuity of vaccination into a EU Pet Passport, a scheme the EU just dont want to allow us to be part of despite our regulations being as tough as any in the EU?

It seems our lives are being made more difficult just for the fun of it!

Nov 24, 2017
Greater London
Funster No
MH
2021 Burstner TD680G
Exp
Happy to be corrected. It's interesting that the vets issuing the PP don't understand the requirements though. As well as adding an extra 21 days for validity in mine (and NicandJay's) PPs, our Spanish vet, with perfect English language skills, asked us about our return date to the UK and stated that if we we're returning within 21 days we must use the AHC that we had travelled out on, and not the PP.
You beat me to it......

Aug 1, 2021
Pembrokeshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto-T Expedition 66
Our passports (see post #29) has no entry at all in the valid from box. šŸ¤·šŸ»ā€ā™‚ļø
Looking at all the pics of PP uploaded in this thread, with all the various mistakes and inconsistencies, you do wonder if the vets issuing them really understand the system at all.

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
I think that the confusion comes from the fact that a Pet Passport would normally be issued when a dog has its first rabies vaccination, often as a puppy. In that case there has to be the 21-day wait for the vaccine to become effective. Since Br*x*t we have the somewhat unusual situation of Pet Passports being requested for dogs that are already vaccinated against rabies. I think some vets are either unaware of the intricacies of Pet Passport requirements (understandable since they have been used to issuing them from the initial rabies vaccination) or they are erring on the side of caution.

The AHC has already been accepted for entry into the EU. Therefore, in the vast majority of cases, those with newly-issued EU Pet Passports will be returning to the UK, where the AHC is not going to cause any problems anyway. I would suggest that until a new EU Pet Passport has actually been 'tested' at Border Control, the worming is recorded on both the AHC and the PP. There have been quite a few instances of PPs being incorrectly completed.

Dec 31, 2010
Sunny South Shields
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin i7900
Exp
Since 2010
Looking at all the pics of PP uploaded in this thread, with all the various mistakes and inconsistencies, you do wonder if the vets issuing them really understand the system at all.
Absolutely this is the worming entry in ours last year supposed to have date then time entered not two date entries and told by customs it was fine šŸ˜‚

IMG_20230129_093455.jpg

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
The AHC is still valid though until it's expiry 4 months from issue date (Dec 2022) so as she has had the vac already we can show that to prove continuity of vacs so no 21 day wait. It's no different to getting a replacement PP when a previous one is filled up, as the old one can still be used to prove continuity of vacs thus no waiting.

We will be returning in a fortnight so will show the PP and the AHC to show continuity, the vet we use for worming will put the details on both.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back