Hymer / Hella spoil my weekend again (1 Viewer)

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
I changed my DRL's to led and became an expert at removing and replacing my light units. When I replaced them I used some rubber packing to make a sort of washer/packing piece before only lightly tightening up the three top screws. the bottom locator goes back easily with a bit of vaseline applied.
That is exactly what I have done, the stress along the glass is what I concluded was the danger to the units.. What LED bulbs did you fit and where from??

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
That is exactly what I have done, the stress along the glass is what I concluded was the danger to the units.. What LED bulbs did you fit and where from??

I went to the local motor factors in our own town and bought some, as only I could when fitting one fell inside the sealed housing, this is what I bought, still working well, but didn't save either of my headlights :(

img_2584-jpg.91559

have a look on here for a description of my change

http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum...hing-complicated-to-do-led-drl-update.122148/

Feb 5, 2009
South Essex
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
25yrs in Motorhomes and Caravans before that
That's the thing that gets me on this thread, £1500 for a headlight I'd want a whole motorhome for that, it's ridiculous, do they tell you how much they are when you buy them?
I think it's the word "motorhome" before headlight that's doing it.
For example, I've been having trouble with the windscreen roller shutter/blind in our Euramobil and when I enquired about a new set of slats (or curtain as I now know they call it) the dealer quoted £1100 plus delivery. I found (and have just fitted) the exact same thing (and I mean exact) from a roller shutter company for £142 including delivery from France !!!!

Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
I think it's the word "motorhome" before headlight that's doing it.
For example, I've been having trouble with the windscreen roller shutter/blind in our Euramobil and when I enquired about a new set of slats (or curtain as I now know they call it) the dealer quoted £1100 plus delivery. I found (and have just fitted) the exact same thing (and I mean exact) from a roller shutter company for £142 including delivery from France !!!!
Can you give details of the company?

Aug 4, 2016
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Since 2003
They came from halfrauds about £12 if I remember. I tried the Chinese ones but they dropped to bits on the trip to Spain hence the light units in out Hokey Cokey. I think I kept the packaging so I'll try and get a pic today

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 16, 2016
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer S520
OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
@Tykatem no idea sorry, nothing on my package that I noticed

Been fine in mine for 3 years they are quite bright but so was the original 21W halogen bulbs

Can’t think of anything else

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
Hi David, I've just looked at the same bulbs on ebay and the seller describes them as being for offroad use only Pete

They're probably just covering their backside in case someone use them where they're not supposed too. I'm not sure of the details, but brake and indicator lights might be 21 watts, but side and tail lights are maybe 5 watts, but you might get the boy racer crew thinking it's cool to uprate everything to "high power" led's ?

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
Hi David, I've just looked at the same bulbs on ebay and the seller describes them as being for "OFF ROAD USE ONLY" do you know the reason why

Pete
Perhaps they are brighter and contravene the regulations? Watts are now a poor method of measuring the brilliance of lamps and maybe lumens comes into it? A bit like the aftermarket xenon headlights which are now an automatic MOT failure.

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I went to the local motor factors in our own town and bought some, as only I could when fitting one fell inside the sealed housing, this is what I bought, still working well, but didn't save either of my headlights :(

img_2584-jpg.91559

have a look on here for a description of my change

http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum...hing-complicated-to-do-led-drl-update.122148/
@DavidG58 , I have every sympathy with you on the price of these lights, but I must say , after reading all the posts in this thread, you are digging and digging a deeper hole in trying to get any money out of anyone , what with falling out with one dealer, getting thrown off another forum, then putting photos on of what you did to get it to fit , fitting different bulbs and what not, every dealer and hymer and hella will all now have things to throw at you in getting it fixed. And also you say you are going to sell it , it's not helping with your potential buyers when they read this.
This is no way a criticism of you and as I said have every sympathy with you, but don't know whether it's a good idea to put so much information on a public forum.
Only trying to help, please don't take it the wrong way.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
Like to see them, not the easiest of jobs (imagine decorating your hallway through your letterbox)
A mechanic friend called me up to help change a lamp on a car he was preparing for MOT, I think it was a Renault. The only access to the lamp was through a small panel in the wheel arch and his hands were too big to get through it, I managed but only just. It is not only Hymers that can be awkward b______.

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
The DRL's on an S class Hymer can be changed by laying under the van and reaching up and twisting the bulb holder loose. I changed @dabhand DRL's on a field in France.

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
@DavidG58
Only trying to help, please don't take it the wrong way.

Absolutely no problem Chaser, I welcome 2 or even multiple sided debate / conversations (y)

The day we stop thinking we have nothing left to learn will be a bad day, I never had any serious expectation of financial assistance, but nothing lost in asking, although my request for even support did seem to land in the stoniest part of the ground o_O I doubt I will change my share it all attitude, I was the gobby one at school and haven't changed much since :)

My thoughts on posting virtually everything on this thread and most of my other 'informative / technical' :whistle: threads is to potentially help another reader with similar issues

I will probably buy my next from a dealer, we know which one it will not be for sure, I don't think any other dealers will take much notice of other dealer criticism, they seem to just ignore it anyway, those that get it that is, I don't think there is much else I have put on here that hasn't been to better our MH

Bev has already told me not to be hasty with selling and we still have the sink cover to resolve before we can sell it anyway, not to mention the headlight still, we are just deliberating on the legalities of driving it as it is to Chester, it will only be daylight driving, only real issue would be if the broken glass falls out and the Bi Xenon bulb gets wet, but last time it went on our way home near Calais, we drove home then over to Telford for the fix without losing any glass (y)

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Oddly changing the DRL bulbs was straightforward, excepting losing one inside the casing, o_O but both were easy to reach from the bonnet entry area, maybe helps to be tall though :)(y)

I bought some for mine a while back, must make the effort to try to fit , perhaps when the cold wind drops a bit ;)

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
I will probably buy my next from a dealer, we know which one it will not be for sure

Be careful of the old adage David - 'out of the frying pan and into fire'. If its the dealer you alluded to in an earlier post, then dont build your hopes up.

Feb 5, 2009
South Essex
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
25yrs in Motorhomes and Caravans before that
Can you give details of the company?
Hi @bigtree
I used the company Avosdim
I actually ordered the made to measure "curtain" (funny name seeing its aluminium) on their french site here:
https://avosdim.com/tablier-de-volet-roulant-seul-sur-mesure-alu-pvc.html
but started enquiries on their chat facilities on their English site
https://avosdim.com/uk/
dealing with a guy called David Holmes.
The beauty of these curtains is that not only was it exactly the same as the Euramobil part, you could (if you want) have pretty much any colour you want too.
Hope this helps
Steve

Last edited:

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
The DRL's on an S class Hymer can be changed by laying under the van and reaching up and twisting the bulb holder loose. I changed @dabhand DRL's on a field in France.
This is so, thanks bud.:) It’s difficult for me to get my 6 pack under the valance, ok Party 7 then(y)

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
I've said this before, mine went, same nearside unit, van had sat still for a few days, not heat or impact. I was loading the van, so getting in and out when it went. It was out of warranty, Brownhills who supplied it didn't want to know, but Travelworld sorted it under warranty, quickly and minimum fuss.

Yes, LHD and left side headlight, but same as Detnor, TW sorted it under warranty quickly and efficiently even though warranty was up. Although they did have to get approval from Hymer first.

Mine shattered two days into a rally, not moving and no stone chip, I did hear of a story of an overheard conversation at a trade show between a Hymer guy and a Hella rep, whereby they were agreeing that the fault was caused by the unit being fitted under stress, I have no idea whether this is true though.

Just to add, I like my Hymer but like all vans, there are often model specific problems, mine had shitty rubber pipe on the hot water off take on the boiler, burst three times before I replaced it with John Guest semi rigid and push fit connectors £50 all in (the connector to the boiler was £35 ), crappy micro switches on taps etc etc. What gets me is that if there is a known problem, and you only have to search this forum to find them, with..... a headlight, a micro switch, a piece of heating pipe, a hob where the glass shatters, a Dometic tower with a cack door lock on the fridge etc etc etc it seems to take the manufactures years to address the problem if at all. Imagine if Boeing had the same philosophy! Mind you I spoke to one of the Dometic sales persons at the NEC last year they don’t use the w*nky sliding lock any more, is the new one any better?

I still reckon that none of the designers have ever spent time in a Motorhome, we wouldn’t get such crappy fittings if they had!

Can i ask why these headlights were replaced under warranty? If Hymer believes the problem is caused by stonechipping, then why would they replace ones on a van that had a warranty............ Would they replace a wing mirror broken by a stone if the van was under warranty????

I would suggest that by replacing parts under warranty they believe they were either not fit for purpose or fitted poorly. If there are any more examples of headlights being replaced under warranty, i would suggest they know theres a problem but are trying minimise the impact on the brand.

TW s reaction along with the HOG also seem to be protecting the brand IMO

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back