Hymer / Hella spoil my weekend again (2 Viewers)

Jan 31, 2016
Alness, Cromarty Firth
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 (2012)
Exp
Personally I've only used TW to buy parts for my Hymer. So all has been as expected, parts ordered and delivered promptly., in fact they were very helfull as I couldn't describe the part I needed.

As far as HOG, I couldn't care less whether TW have an interest in it, I think it helps in many ways without TW involvement. The group is big, and there are always plenty of people with helpful advice where requested. I've been banned from forums myself and just move on, there's always another.

But it would be a shame to paint it as not a good place to visit, for those who would have done so, but put off by some adverse comments on here.

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
I had the temerity to question whether it was safe / rude to post pictures of non members and their hymers at campsites including the number plate.

Just blocked no explanation and worse Martin was blocked too and he'd never even posted!

So f£&@k em, they can do without my wit and wisdom!

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
I had the temerity to question whether it was safe / rude to post pictures of non members and their hymers at campsites including the number plate.

Just blocked no explanation and worse Martin was blocked too and he'd never even posted!

:Eeek: That's a bit extreme Dawn. :Eeek: I do of course mean them blocking you and Martin, and not what you think of them. :rofl:

The HOG came about because of the snobbery and small mindedness of the Classic Hymer Group, in their decision not to allow member owners of post 1998 models, to post actively.

I am disappointed to learn of the lean by HOG toward TW, and not allow views re their service, good or bad. :(

Cheers,

Jock. :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
@GWAYGWAY I don't think my fixings are hinged ? The three fixings all go directly through the fibreglass bodywork
I said Nuffink! However the units are held at the bottom by a plastic knob on a stalk into a rubber socket sort of a flexible pivot, the three screws on top edge are two fixed, and one with an adjustable backer which moves the fit, of the whole unit. The one that was badly fitting looks like it was not located into the socket which is, Tight! it needs some rubber lube to get it in and out without damage to the unit by levering, the two end screws on top need to be done up gently, NOT TIGHT, the middle one has the adjustment and needs setting fist to get the unit snug, Then the end ones are just taken up and not tightened, they have locking nuts to keep them where they are put. I would seriously advise anybody not to just screw them up as the puts force right across the front face (GLASS) It may be the factory has a ham fisted minimum wage worker, doing them up, and doing them up tight, which might account for the shattering. I have slightly loosened my top outer allen bolt to just take the tension off the unit, I suggest you look to doing the same, not much just , not so tight
Might I also comment as to the quality of some dealer employees, those that are not quite the craftsment that the dealers claim they are, especially when they are working on something that is not familiar to them having never actaully dealt with the bit before. Motorhomes are a mish mash of various pieces and equipment that are common and dedicated to the model/make, there are so many and I would think the factory repair guidance may not be up to much, or even in German or French. After all the number of model and makes in the market plus all the previous one must make it very hard. It take a lot of studying and looking at the way things are fitted or even attached to see a clear way to deal with them. Service department are often dealt with and run by people who have NO IDEA of mechanical workings.

Last edited:

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008

That is just shocking behaviour. Sounds like a forum admin with a power complex and the insatiable desire to exercise that power. An utter wockcomble

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years

I really must buy a Hymer(y)

They are shit and leaky but at least they have a bunch of touchy , sensitive, tosspot owners to wind up. #hog #nothanks

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
That is just shocking behaviour. Sounds like a forum admin with a power complex and the insatiable desire to exercise that power. An utter wockcomble
Maybe it is a TW contact that started it off in the first place.???????????

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
I really must buy a Hymer(y)

They are shit and leaky but at least they have a bunch of touchy , sensitive, tosspot owners to wind up. #hog #nothanks

Thank you, nice.......

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Thank you @GWAYGWAY that seems to confirm my earlier armchair theory (page8). On my next visit to my mh I shall make sure those 2 screws are not overtightened.
You will need 10 mm spanner and a flexible set of arms to get to the far ones. To get the bottom knobby thing out it would be best ro put some WD40 or the like into the rubber to allow the plastic lump out and in. If you ever need to remove the whole unit for anything at all.

Stumpy

Free Member
Jul 11, 2016
Torquay
Funster No
MH
hymer S830
Exp
A CLASSI HAVE BEEN MOTORHOMING FOR OVER 12 YEARS
Yes Hog is a welcoming group and I am a member as I rember David was asked to remove a coment he didn’t and it was removed they have rules that he chose to ignor that are clearly in the welcome you get, you joined and strait in with a moan then got stroppy at those who were trying to help you. So as always two sides to a story post your response from Travel Wold David and show the hole story after you called them muppets I even commented on your problem and made you aware of some of the things going on now ref this problem it’s a Hymer problem not a dealer rip off it’s them you need to address before you destroy and bridges further. Often it’s better to speak with the management and resolve not slag them off then wonder why they aren’t helful.

Stumpy

Free Member
Jul 11, 2016
Torquay
Funster No
MH
hymer S830
Exp
Did you read the original thread @Stumpy ?
...the nightmare that was @DavidG58 first light failure and the nightmare that ensued...?
Yes I did and followed it as I said try talking with the mangment rather than slating on here they sponsor fun so as everyone on the net see all

Stumpy

Free Member
Jul 11, 2016
Torquay
Funster No
MH
hymer S830
Exp
:banghead:Yes he did after he slated them that’s my point and if you followed did you see the request to remove the comments unlike here they don’t allow one side only they will not allow a one sided argument I believe the information given david was of the value ground things that are happening for what is an Hymer Probkem not Travel world Nor any other Hymer dealers probkem but Hymer AG its that simple

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
:banghead:Yes he did after he slated them that’s my point and if you followed did you see the request to remove the comments unlike here they don’t allow one side only they will not allow a one sided argument I believe the information given david was of the value ground things that are happening for what is an Hymer Probkem not Travel world Nor any other Hymer dealers probkem but Hymer AG its that simple

Not sure exactly what happened, did David have a bad job performed by TW, not Hymer but TW, its hardly Hymers fault TW did a bad job. He complained as you and I would do and got fobbed off, is that correct?
I do agree with you that it is good to hear both sides in any disagreement.

Last edited:
OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Evening Stumpy

I don't mind a difference of opinion, but your reference to my input on HOG paints an odd picture, you are right I was asked to modify a comment, but wasn't on line, and within 2 hours the post had been withdrawn

I have no way to recall now what was said, in fact I hear all my posts on the HOG page have now been deleted, this really can only be seen as small minded

I posted on HOG the same as I did on here the disappointment I felt when I spotted a repeat of a broken £1500 light last weekend, I genuinely think that is right up the main street for a specific brand forum group, in this case Hymer, I made absolutely no reference to TW until led that way by other posters

The post was seemingly well received both sympathetically then with empathy as more came out with similar tales, but how dare we slight the good name of Hymer o_O this would appear to be a serious issue being ignored firstly by the manufacturer and that in turn is seemingly being endorsed by the paid principles (UK Dealers)

Take a review of the photos of the TW fitting and refitting of my £1550 light in this thread, I stand by 'a right Horlicks' and still am amazed that both TW and HOG seemed fit to overtly defend such workmanship, that was the only reason why (and fully justified IMO) I will not use or recommend TW, but my main point was still a broken / faulty Hymer headlight

Hymer are a huge company and at present with very buoyant sales, both for the makers and the sellers they can afford to treat customers badly, but for all peaks there will surely be a dip, they will maybe wish they had been more customer focused then

I genuinely do not feel I have bad mouthed anybody, copying and pasting their own words yes, but they are quotes, effectively as were the photos which say a thousand words

My main issue still is faulty design either of the light or the way it is fitted, all down to Hymer

I stand by my right to publish that opinion, the fact that TW have thrown their toys out of the pram is simply pathetic, they are right there are other dealers, but it is not all about sales they owe us support even if that means arguing our case with their bosses

I am going to sell my Hymer, no loss to them, some other poor sod will still need to buy bits, but they are blinkered if they think nobody elses buying process is going to be affected by these issues and the way they are handled

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Yes I did and followed it as I said try talking with the mangment rather than slating on here they sponsor fun so as everyone on the net see all
You clealy have not read all of the uncensored thread here. David did try to talk to the management and got one of the most disgraceful and patronising replies I have ever seen from any dealer. And his complaints of poor workmanship are fully justified when looking at the pictures he has posted here.

Legally the fitness for purpose of a product or service is the responsibility of the dealer, not the manufacturer. If it is a Hymer problem then TW should be arguing with Hymer not fobbing their customers off with rude replies.

I have a Hymer and like it. I am glad that I bought it from a decent dealer who takes responsibility for what they sell rather than TW. And i certainly won't be joining HOG as it appears to be TW's puppet.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
The way to ensure that you do not have a one sided argument is to let both sides have their say, as Jim does here. Not to ban one side whilst promoting the other. That is bias, not balance.

claude et maude

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2018
Kent
Funster No
MH
Hymer B664 CL
Exp
Since 2018
I’ve just bought a 2007/2008 Hymer B664 CL, yesterday, and it appears to have the same shape headlights. Are there any checks or a solution I can get the dealer to do while they are prepping it and before I pick it up next Saturday?

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I’ve just bought a 2007/2008 Hymer B664 CL, yesterday, and it appears to have the same shape headlights. Are there any checks or a solution I can get the dealer to do while they are prepping it and before I pick it up next Saturday?
Yes I believe the van in your avatar has the same headlights, there are no checks as this seems to be a totally random thing related to LH headlamps only, some people believe that the problem is stone chips and can be cured by fitting the plastic headlamp protectors, you will only know that this is not the case if you fit the protectors and your light unit still "explodes"

Good luck.

Martin

claude et maude

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2018
Kent
Funster No
MH
Hymer B664 CL
Exp
Since 2018
Yes I believe the van in your avatar has the same headlights, there are no checks as this seems to be a totally random thing related to LH headlamps only, some people believe that the problem is stone chips and can be cured by fitting the plastic headlamp protectors, you will only know that this is not the case if you fit the protectors and your light unit still "explodes"

Good luck.

Martin

Thanks Martin, your quick response is much appreciated although this thread has made me a little nervous

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough

Sadly it would appear no, early thoughts / excuses from Hymer suggested a poor batch of lights. That has been proved wrong as still happening

Too tight fittings is another more likely theory IMO but still hard to fathom

But a good few never seem to have issues either

There are protectors available on eBay that so far nobody with them fitted has had an issue but also only a very small number of those are in use compared to how many vehicles

You could ask if they know if it has had a new headlight and ask same of previous owner

Edit - hadn’t seen Martins reply before doing mine

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years

Good luck.

Martin

Do you know if this theory is supported by vans on the continent who suffer the same problem? It would be the other headlight then.

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Do you know if this theory is supported by vans on the continent who suffer the same problem? It would be the other headlight then.

It has hapoenened to UK registered LHD Hymers and I have read on other forums about similar happening across Europe, the more I hear about them the more I am amazed that Hymer are doing nothing and that a mass protest hasn’t started

Hymer have at least changed to polycarbonate lights on new models

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Not sure exactly what happened, did David have a bad job performed by TW, not Hymer but TW, its hardly Hymers fault TW did a bad job. He complained as you and I would do and got fobbed off, is that correct?
I do agree with you that it is good to hear both sides in any disagreement.

Paul

I think you have it about right, Hymer supply headlights that seem to "explode" TW made "a right Horlicks" of fitting new light that David paid for, two years later the light that TW supplied has "exploded" TW don't want to deal with David.

If you want all the detail you have a lot of reading to do(y) but not on HOG by the sounds of it.

Martin

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
It has hapoenened to UK registered LHD Hymers and I have read on other forums about similar happening across Europe, the more I hear about them the more I am amazed that Hymer are doing nothing and that a mass protest hasn’t started

Hymer have at least changed to polycarbonate lights on new models
Still the Left hand light though?

Martin

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back