How much water for a MH shower? (1 Viewer)

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Clearly, the amount of water used will be a function of the amount of hot water available and temperature. It could be from a couple of litres up to twenty. There are several techniques for reducing consumption. A quick way to learn to use less is to arrange to run out when fully lathered-up.

Collecting more water could be done with a plastic watering can. Have two: It halves the number of trips and makes for easier balance on the return trip. Plastic watering cans are light and cheap. To empty the waste, you’ll need a bucket and pair of crocs.

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
There is another side to this, hot water volume, your heater will heat it's smallish tank up but relatively slowly so you will run out of hot water before you run out of water. You'll have to suck it and see. I laugh, quietly to myself, when I hear people say "I would not use a campsite shower, our MH shower is good for us". They obviously don't know what a real shower is like. Many of us describe a campsite by the quality of their showers.
The RV shower is good in control-ability, temperature and volume , which to be honest when we used to caravan we found that site showers were very variable in all three :)

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Can't give a guide about showers alone but we work on 40 Ltrs per day for two. That includes a showers each toilet flushing and all other incidentals such as washing up, pots of tea, cups of coffee, etc.

PS. Our water pump delivers 7 Ltrs a minute and we both comfortably shower in less than three minutes.

I recon that's spot on. Almost exactly the same for us.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
Depends on the water delivery/male or female/how dirty you are!
I try to wet all over-turn water off, shampoo, soap up all over, turn water on, rinse.
But my luxury I turn temp up and a quick shot of really hot water on back of my neck/shoulders!

May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
C Class: Low profile
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
Try sharing the shower
it halfs the water used unless you get carried away :D
Err, just how big is your shower cubicle? Conversely, just how small is your travelling companion?

We average 35 l/day. About 3m run time per shower (wet, turn off, soap, then rinse off)

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Depends on your hair!
I had my daughter round yesterday to wash and dry my hair as currently incapacitated . After 5 minutes of mains pressure shower directly on my hair, she remarked " I just can't get your underneath hair wet Mum"

When away in camper and not on site, I use buckets full of water and dunk in.:(

Sep 23, 2007
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 and many as a tugger
Our 130 litre fresh water tank lasts 3 days.
2 people both showering each day, plus tiolet flushing and washing up.

Reactions: f6c
Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
MH Showers, what luxury!
When I were a lad, no one had a shower in their home, most used to have to have a strip wash at the sink with a flannel, then cue up for the Sunday night bath before school on Monday. The house had no central heating either, only a coal fire in the living room (to dry off in front of), and another coal boiler in the kitchen which warmed the water tank.
I cannot tell you how many times my mum would blame me for ruining her wall paper in the bathroom as it was soaked with steam, hardly surprising really as the bathroom was so cold in winter as soon as you ran the hot water tap the room steamed up so much you couldn't see your toes!
Sounds crazy these days, but we were happy enough, it was usual for mums to come in the bedroom and fling open the windows, even mid winter, "to let the fresh air in".(she was of Scottish decent)
Now I am a big southern softie,I cant stand cold weather, cant afford to open the windows at home as it takes long enough for the house to get to 24 degrees:D
PS: and I only visit my Scottish relatives mid summer, I would have to hibernate if I lived up there full time! The winter Wind would blow me over at times.

Augusta08

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2015
Morbihan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Augusta
Exp
Since 2001
And mostly warm......
RV boilers are usually either 6 or 10 gallons unlike the laughable 10 liters in a eurobox boiler

That's why it's worth paying three times the fuel cost of driving the things......................

raysalaugh

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2011
Leyland
Funster No
MH
AT Delaware
Exp
since 2010
The question is @oxoaps do you beef up and take a cold shower or do you chicken out and take a warm one.?

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Between 5 - 10 litres for us, depends on activities during the day, and how much mud needs to be removed! :D

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
We save a bit of water by filling a saucepan with the cold water that runs before the hot reaches the shower head - that is then used for the coffee. The OH follows just after the first shower so the water does not have time to cool in the pipe.

As for using campsite showers - a definite no, as it means you have to go on campsites:(

Geoff

Brian and Jo

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 24, 2007
oswestry,shropshire
Funster No
MH
A-Class N+B Arto 88F
Exp
Been motorhoming for 15yrs.had an American RV for 7yrs,Now got a Niesmann Bischoff Arto 88F
We have just come back from 5 nights away ,we have a 200ltr fresh water tank and we lasted the 5nights with a cup full to spare both showering every night and all the other stuff the water is used for so I guess that works out at about 40ltrs a day for both of us
Brian & Jo

Mar 3, 2014
Oxford
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
since 2013
we find we use about <10 ltrs per shower using the get wet then turn of the shower , lather up , then get shower / rinsed.

I do the same, I reckon on using between 10-15 per day on shower,toilet and washup.. my hot and cold drinks come from bottled water.

Nov 6, 2012
Guildford
Funster No
MH
3litre Bessacarr 765
Exp
Restarted 2012
2 showers and the washing up uses about 40 litres a day for us. Drinking water is from our filtered tap at home or bottled water if in France or Spain. Swmbo’s tea must be made with good water!

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
If you have a pee in the shower does that reduce the overall water usage? :)

Aug 18, 2009
essex
Funster No
MH
A/S Warwick Duo
Exp
Only dirty people wash

Stretto Boy

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2016
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2011
For me (using the on and off method described by others) it’s several teaspoons. SWMBO then uses up the rest of the tank.

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Since when have people started using water for their showers in the motorhomes - that's very 21st-Century.

A pack of 50 wet wipes can last a fortnight in the right hands; errrrrrrrrrr!

(y)

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
Since when have people started using water for their showers in the motorhomes - that's very 21st-Century.

A pack of 50 wet wipes can last a fortnight in the right hands; errrrrrrrrrr!

(y)
do you only wipe your left hand then ?:confused:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back