Help Please. Sat Nav just died on way to ferry! (2 Viewers)

OP
OP
M
Mar 8, 2016
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2009
Well initial try was to turn it off and then back on ( works for most things electronic ) also done all the reset stuff. Will have a look when get to Portsmouth and see if I can connect to laptop and try something. Failing that the Basil Fawlty method has to be favourite!

OP
OP
M
Mar 8, 2016
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2009
It looks from my quick glance at App Store that you can have a free trial if Sygic truck for 14 days. Will have a closer look but that would get me to destination and as I said quite OK with real maps! It’s just the fiddly bits the sat nav helped with. Trying to sort it is certainly passing my time on quickly on drive down. No I’m not the driver!!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

ctc

Oct 12, 2015
Crowle
Funster No
MH
Hymer b680
Exp
New
My snooper was always failing when used in the MH, but works fine in our car, the only difference in the car the alternator stays on. So instead of 12.4v it is constantly supplied with more than 13.5v.

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
That Sygic looks good. Just downloaded it to try for the 14days free trial. Not sure if I get the speed camera within the trial, but I’llfind out.

D

Deleted member 57092

Deleted User
Have you tried the Basil Fawlty method of giving it a severe thrashing with a branch, might not work but at least you will feel better for it. :xrofl::xrofl::xrofl:
We saw a guy sailing a laser in a dinghy regatta completely lose it, swearing punching boat etc .So the next event we went to we took a huge tree branch complete with leaves etc in our boat (an Osprey so big) and just before the start sailed up to him and said ‘you might need this’ and heaved it into his boat .......

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Thanks for all the info. May just have to bite the bullet with CoPilot have enough data available. And yes I have paper maps which I use all the time so it’s just a case of a back up or planner. I like the fact you get an ongoing record of eta and speed.
There is a fuse in the 12v lead.... It is located in the cigar plug.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Can anyone help please. We are on our way to Portsmouth for a ferry tonight. Our previously very faithful Tom Tom go, the caravan version has appeared to die on me. I have done a reset but it won’t play. Occasionally I do get it to come on past the opening battery screen but it soon dies again. I suspect new battery needed but although I did get a spare I think I have left this at home. So unless I can get a repair or buy a new one near the docks at Portsmouth we are stuck! If I can’t get it working can anyone suggest the best on line one or an app. I have heard Co Pilot is OK that I can quickly download and use for our trip through France to Spain. Thanks.

Buy a map on the ferry,,they are so simple to use..Would not be without one..I also carry a spare old sat nav..BUSBY:xsmile:

SMB

Apr 26, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Fulltiming since February 2013
I use Copilot truck which has mainly functioned very well over the years apart from a couple of times where its taken me off a motorway then straight back on! Its good to have on your phone when not driving as well, can be used for cycling or walking. Also, if you have an Android phone download the free Tomtom speed camera app, it needs internet access but warns of average speed camera zones and possible mobile speed cameras :xThumb:

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
Buy a map on the ferry,,they are so simple to use..Would not be without one..I also carry a spare old sat nav..BUSBY:xsmile:

I also carry a spare old satnav. Having had the main one go completely doolally during a journey you can't be complacent about modern technology. Also always bring the road atlas for UK and one for each European country we will be travelling in. Just for good measure I buy large scale local maps too. Yes, it is probably OTT. Or OCD, wotevs. Do I get lost? Of course! That's part of the FUN!

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
I have a cheap tablet (Aldi special but others are available) and iGo (paid for version).

If you have a fancy phone iGo would work on that as well. It does work offline. I think there is a 7 day free trial. You can put your vehicle dimensions in the paid for version and set it to truck mode.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
I also carry a spare old satnav. Having had the main one go completely doolally during a journey you can't be complacent about modern technology. Also always bring the road atlas for UK and one for each European country we will be travelling in. Just for good measure I buy large scale local maps too. Yes, it is probably OTT. Or OCD, wotevs. Do I get lost? Of course! That's part of the FUN!

Yep, I am the same. I am the navigator, he is the pilot (generally as I am the better navigator and don't panic). I do love paper maps .... have quite a collection of old, out of date OS maps.

OP
OP
M
Mar 8, 2016
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2009
Not holding my breath but have messed around using laptop & it may just be sorting itself out. Will let you know if it does. Certainly it is now “on” and shows our correct position!

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
@Madmag. On my previous two TomTom Go models, I always had to have it plugged in, as the batteries didn't last more than a few minutes, and it is the same with my current NozaTec
That's the best thing about my old 710/760 tom .tom the battery. I can leave it for months & then turn it on & 100% full.Mind you when I clip it on its base that is hard wired so permanently on charge.
I've also a hudl, as @Puddleduck suggested ,that I can use as back up if a problem or failing that google maps on either that or the phone. along with 5 kgs of paper european maps.

OP
OP
M
Mar 8, 2016
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2009
Well the first time I thought it was fixed it allowed me to plan a route as far as the toll charges? Bit then switched itself off. It seems to be a software issue with possibly Mac and new downloads on one hand and sat nav not been set properly. Anyway eventually, and I don’t know how but involved lots of looking at websites and trying to reset etc I managed to get it to stay in long enough to get into settings. Did a partial factory reset where data is saved. Anyway again I think it may have worked. A bit more hopeful as it’s allowed me to set a full route and turned off correctly. It’s been a long day & ferry is late but everything crossed for tomorrow’s route. Will let you know. Thanks so much for everyone’s help.

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
Can anyone help please. We are on our way to Portsmouth for a ferry tonight. Our previously very faithful Tom Tom go, the caravan version has appeared to die on me. I have done a reset but it won’t play. Occasionally I do get it to come on past the opening battery screen but it soon dies again. I suspect new battery needed but although I did get a spare I think I have left this at home. So unless I can get a repair or buy a new one near the docks at Portsmouth we are stuck! If I can’t get it working can anyone suggest the best on line one or an app. I have heard Co Pilot is OK that I can quickly download and use for our trip through France to Spain. Thanks.
Mine used to do that. Look underneath - if there is a small hole in the casing, put something in to reboot it back to original spec.

OP
OP
M
Mar 8, 2016
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2009
Well that will teach me to be smug!! Off ferry, on with Sat Nav, all good for about 2 mins then she died! That’s it, she’s consigned to her case and it’s paper maps( now it’s light enough to read them) and google for finer detail. Will then read through everyone’s suggestions again for replacement. Thanks again for all your support

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
it’s paper maps

Should be a bit of fun map reading for the journey, you will see more on your jouney as you are watching out for roads, junctions and landmarks plus your likely to have more conversation but some maybe heated.

Enjoy your trip away.

Feb 12, 2018
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 600SL
Exp
Since 2017
Satnav – A poem by Pam Ayres.

I have a little Satnav, it sits there in my car.
A Satnav is a driver's friend it tells you where you are.
I have a little Satnav, i've had it all my life.
It's better than the normal ones, my Satnav is my wife.

It gives me full instructions, especially how to drive
"It's sixty miles an hour", it says, "You're doing sixty five".
It tells me when to stop and start, and when to use the brake
And tells me that it's never ever, safe to overtake.

It tells me when a light is red, and when it goes to green
It seems to know instinctively, just when to intervene.
It lists the vehicles just in front, and all those to the rear.
And taking this into account, it specifies my gear.

I'm sure no other driver, has so helpful a device.
For when we leave and lock the car, it still gives its advice.
It fills me up with counselling, each journey's pretty fraught.
So why don't I exchange it, and get a quieter sort?

Ah well, you see, it cleans the house, makes sure I'm properly fed.
It washes all my shirts and things, and keeps me warm in bed!

Despite all these advantages, and my tendency to scoff,
I only wish that now and then, I could turn the bugger off.

:) Good Luck @Madmag

mfw

Banned
Sep 16, 2017
Worthing
Funster No
I always run 2 sat navs 1 fails at least you have backup for putting gps co-ordinates in i'd buy a spare cheap satnav from a larger shop similar to pc world and also get them to replace battery in old satnav.

SWMBO is useless at map reading so i have no choice she wont drive van either

OP
OP
M
Mar 8, 2016
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2009
I actually love maps and map reading. Have done since being little so I surprised myself how I panicked when the Sat Nav failed. You soon forget the years of navigating without, using contours and landmarks. As I always say the problem with a Sat Nav is that it only shows you the flat “now” picture not the whole aspect of wheee you are. At least if you get lost without a sat nav you can go back to ‘the bridge or the church’ you passed and recognised with one you haven’t a clue. Ah well back to page 130 of the map book, love turning the pages as we cover more miles.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
@Madmag there is nothing like turning the pages is there? On longer journeys when we are helping out family (so it is the fastest route there and back) I often copy the pages we need from the big book to lighten the weight on my lap.

You would soon recognise me as you overtook - I am the one juggling with the satnag, map book and sites / aires / camperstop book. Martin doesn't like the satnag where he can see it as he finds it distracting, he always switched the one in the old car off.

The iGo satnag has a setting where you can turn the contours on or off so you get the impression of the likely difficulties of the route ahead. It really doesn't like it if you are detoured onto the wrong carriageway and flashes in red to move into the correct lane - that happened to us in Switzerland through road works in Basel where we had to go "the wrong way" through tunnels. In the UK it isn't accurate enough to know you are on the wrong carriageway most of the time. It also gets a wee bit upset when you are on a CL/CS field and not on a road telling you that you are illegal and need special permission. I really like the graphics for motorway junctions and lane guidance though.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
We use two satnavs ( 1 TT and 1 Garmin ) while Woman follows our route on a map... And we keep a spare satnag in the cupboard for 'emergencies' , though I thinking both the units in use and the map suddenly going blank is somewhat unlikely :)

Jan 2, 2015
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano t725
Exp
since 2014
Some of you are probably aware of this but may be worth mentioning again...

The paid for app for Search for Sites has a function where when you have selected a site, it (the app) offers you an option of navigating to the site using Google maps.

We just use paper maps and when we get near, use this function to get us to the site.

Barry

OP
OP
M
Mar 8, 2016
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2009
You would soon recognise me as you overtook - I am the one juggling with the satnag, map book and sites / aires / camperstop book
You forgot to mention, the mi-fi unit, dash cam , toll zappers or even worse piles of lose change, the phone, I pad and phrase book. Also you need to have the ability to read signs in whatever language they are written (including Basque) while travelling at speed. Mine doesn’t like Sat Nav either so I have to have it on my side facing in to me. Although the last couple of days he has missed “Doris” with statements like, “ Doris would have told us which lane to be in”.
Wasn’t life more simple when you just wrote a few key roads down on a scrap of paper and if you took the wrong turn you had time to pull over , rethink and turn round!!

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Rita loves (as I do) our cheap but functioning and trusty Truck Sat Nav, with the latest iGo software, and Here mapping for 2018. (y)

Only very occasionally she (Katie) will have a wee fit, but turning her off and back on again, seems to cure the problem. (y)

@Madmag. Glad to hear that you are sorted (y) albeit minus your TT GO. :(

Cheers,

Jock. :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back