Help needed! Broken down in 35C France... Turbocharger maybe?? (3 Viewers)

OP
OP
YoungDave

YoungDave

Free Member
Jan 14, 2020
Funster No
MH
'95 Hymer B644
Exp
Current van since Feb '20, before that fulltimed in London for 18 months c. 2014
Whilst I can can't see because of what what gus-lopez thinks is the starter motor, after an extended feel around I cannot feel the bit coming down from the black box in Lenny HB 's diagram

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
I will bet money it is the drain off the condenser/oil separator back to the crank case.

Basically the black box collects the fumes from the top of the engine then separates the oil out and let’s the oil run back down to the sump.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
If he could tell us where he is as you say there must be one of us near
He has..😁
1596039198547.jpeg

Jul 6, 2009
Funster No
If it’s around a 1973 Fiat it may well have a turbo, the cooler is on the nearside of the radiator it looks like the pipe from the inter cooler to the intake manifold.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
If it’s around a 1973 Fiat it may well have a turbo, the cooler is on the nearside of the radiator it looks like the pipe from the inter cooler to the intake manifold.
It's a 1995 but that pipe is far too small for an intercooler... Looks about 15mm to 20mm internal. I would expect at least 50mm

OP
OP
YoungDave

YoungDave

Free Member
Jan 14, 2020
Funster No
MH
'95 Hymer B644
Exp
Current van since Feb '20, before that fulltimed in London for 18 months c. 2014
spitfire thanks so much for the offer. With relations with my better half getting too strained we are now on the back of a depannage. It's actually lovely to be able really enjoy the scenery - oh the passenger's life!!!

15960412797088809040826070669484.jpg

Some one will hopefully be attaching the breather tomorrow, I am sure for an extortionate sum. Thankfully our RAC cover is paying for the tow.

Would any French/French-speakjng FUNsters be able to tell me in French what we collectively think the problem/resolution is?

Thanks again so much everyone. The fun is a really special community to be a part of.

klaatu

Free Member
Aug 10, 2013
Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Since 2014
We are about 200km to your NW. If your van is driveable that far, and you have no better options, I can at least offer you somewhere to park and another pair of eyes to look at the problem.

Edit: I see you are now in capable hands.

Jan 19, 2020
Funster No
MH
DBM 7150
Exp
Since 2016
spitfire thanks so much for the offer. With relations with my better half getting too strained we are now on the back of a depannage. It's actually lovely to be able really enjoy the scenery - oh the passenger's life!!!

View attachment 411243

Some one will hopefully be attaching the breather tomorrow, I am sure for an extortionate sum. Thankfully our RAC cover is paying for the tow.

Would any French/French-speakjng FUNsters be able to tell me in French what we collectively think the problem/resolution is?

Thanks again so much everyone. The fun is a really special community to be a part of.

Where did he say he was taking you? It wouldn't be a complete surprise if he didn't just take you off the motorway at the nearest exit....

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
A half decent mechanic should have that hose sorted in 1/2hour or less so dont let them get one over on you . What caused it to blow off is more of a concern . as it may be down to engine wear causing excess blow by !

OP
OP
YoungDave

YoungDave

Free Member
Jan 14, 2020
Funster No
MH
'95 Hymer B644
Exp
Thankfully WJACC to a VW garage where we can spend the night and they will look at it tomorrow - from what I can establish in my broken French!

OP
OP
YoungDave

YoungDave

Free Member
Jan 14, 2020
Funster No
MH
'95 Hymer B644
Exp
Okay thanks for the advice tacr2man

Engine wear - does that mean looking at a new engine? 😬

The Coops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 8, 2019
The Fylde
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact DL
Exp
Yes, thank you
If you are struggling I have some friends about 40km from you who might be able to give you a drive to rest on, hes not a mechanic but a fantastic chef! So it might be a win win! Let me know if you need a driveway and I will contact them to see if they will accommodate you while the problem is sorted

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
A half decent mechanic should have that hose sorted in 1/2hour or less so dont let them get one over on you . What caused it to blow off is more of a concern . as it may be down to engine wear causing excess blow by !
Seems to be lots of jubilee clips on the various hoses in the photos, sometimes not the best clips to use, but as the loose open hose has a jubilee clip still attached it looks as though its just popped off. Can't be that difficult to put it back to the correct location, when it's viewed on a garage ramp (y)

Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
I doubt the engine would really notice a dislodged breather pipe beyond covering something in oil mist. It sounds much more like high turbo boost blowing the pipe off. It's too small for the main inlet pipework but could well provide a pneumatic signal to another component. The mechanic needs to check the wastegate actuator is functioning correctly and not allowing overboost.

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
Was just about to reply as we are just home ourselves from our concessionaire!
Glad you are sorted . Can give you my phone number if you have problems with the garage . My french is pretty ok but technical less so but usually get there lol Hubby is an engineer but his french is not as good as mine !
Usually the garage allow you stay at their place so if they don’t offer ask .

OP
OP
YoungDave

YoungDave

Free Member
Jan 14, 2020
Funster No
MH
'95 Hymer B644
Exp
AC/DC that is an incredibly kind offer. Hopefully by tomorrow afternoon we'll be on our way again, but I'll keep that in mind. Thank you.

Jimbohorlicks yep, fingers crossed. Out of interest what's better to use? All the jubilees were present when I purchased the van but maybe I can slowly replace...

dunnah01 thanks - I will try to get that across in my best French...!

spitfire thank you - maybe if you could send that to me that'd be handy (just in case!) - thank you!

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
AC/DC that is an incredibly kind offer. Hopefully by tomorrow afternoon we'll be on our way again, but I'll keep that in mind. Thank you.

Jimbohorlicks yep, fingers crossed. Out of interest what's better to use? All the jubilees were present when I purchased the van but maybe I can slowly replace...

dunnah01 thanks - I will try to get that across in my best French...!

spitfire thank you - maybe if you could send that to me that'd be handy (just in case!) - thank you!
Have sent in a message :) Where are they taking you to ? Good luck

lunarman

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1994
Thankfully WJACC to a VW garage where we can spend the night and they will look at it tomorrow - from what I can establish in my broken French!
If you are having a problem understanding the French perhaps a call out to yodeli could help. Frankie has helped a number of stranded funsters in the past she is hailed as a star.

OP
OP
YoungDave

YoungDave

Free Member
Jan 14, 2020
Funster No
MH
'95 Hymer B644
Exp
Thanks lunarman - I'll drop Frankie a note !

Apr 29, 2016
Aquitaine, France
Funster No
MH
Kentucky Estro 9
Exp
23 years
Seems to be coming out of the crankcase, so probably breather hose, as noted above, start engine & put hand over it, if it blows air and a mist of oil, it is a breather hose. Why it blew off could be the ambient temp plus age or something much more serious, such as dropped a piston ring, you would know if a piston was holed as it would be only running on 3 cyls. Motor having no go is worrying cos a breather hose off should not affect performance.

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
Seems to be coming out of the crankcase, so probably breather hose, as noted above, start engine & put hand over it, if it blows air and a mist of oil, it is a breather hose. Why it blew off could be the ambient temp plus age or something much more serious, such as dropped a piston ring, you would know if a piston was holed as it would be only running on 3 cyls. Motor having no go is worrying cos a breather hose off should not affect performance.
It might if it’s dumped all the oil and the op in their own words said they are not mechanical 🤞

Feb 20, 2017
Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey 75-2
Exp
Tugger now Motorhome
Looks to me like crankcase breather pipe that probably connects directly to this weird box
iMarkup_20200729_204344.jpg

Not neccesarily the exact same engine type but looks promising.

Last edited:
OP
OP
YoungDave

YoungDave

Free Member
Jan 14, 2020
Funster No
MH
'95 Hymer B644
Exp
***UPDATE: THE SAGA CONTINUES***

Good morning FUNsters. Hope you're all well and had a good night.

Posting an update as to how we've got on from last night until now. The skinny is that the problem is not resolved, so if anyone has any further ideas following the below they would again be really appreciated.

1. Decent night's kip in the garage forecourt
2. Got seen by the mechanic at 08:10 - pleasantly surprised
3. Conveyed that perhaps the missing hose was the reniflad de carter - crankcase breather - attaching to "the black box", showing the mechanic pictures of same/similar engines kindly shared by Ninjabob and Just smiffy
4. Van goes up on the ramp - the mechanics re-attach the loose hose to the black box, €87 and some paperwork later - off I merrily go.

When I get to the first 8% incline - of which there are many, I, unfortunately, find the same problem is persisting.

After speaking to RAC European Assistance, they currently expect it will be hard to find a mechanic to reassess the problem due to the holidays, this may take some days. At present we are not sure. The garage that completed the failed repair also cannot fit us in for 15 days to run further diagnostics.

As such, this may have to be a case of find a way to repair myself come hell or high water. Hence this post.

Firstly, to have another go at describing the problem when driving:

- On the flat I can gain speed, moderately less effectively than usual, with my typical gear changes on the nose of 20/30/40 mph to conserve fuel.
- Uphill - I gradually lose speed, ultimately managing 20mph/30kph on an 8% incline in 3rd gear without losing speed.
- Sound - typically when giving the accelerator some welly, a reassuring roar comes out (I think from the turbo). Instead, I the sound is like a gentle hiss.

In relation to a previous comment it definitely does has a turbo. Helpfully I have found one of the same engines that is in the van on ebay -<Broken link removed>.

As a recap, yesterday we got these pictures of similar engines. The crankcase breather needed to reattach to the bottom left of "The Black Box". After looking around and having a good feel, I couldn't find any connection in that location to reattach the hose to.

The garage, seemingly also couldn't as they attached the hose to another piece of hose, and attached that to a separate point on the black box. To clearly describe this, I have sketched out what they did.

What they did.jpeg What they did

The red hose is the loose hose. We think this should've connected to Point B. Point B is really obscured/inaccessible - assuming it in fact does exist! What they noticed (they showed me) was that point C was missing a hose. Explained that a piece was missing, and proceed to make and fit a further piece of hose connecting the first hose, via a new hose, to Point C.

Point C is clearly visible (also missing a hose) on the Engine pic from eBay below.

Engine 3.jpg Engine pic from eBay

In Engine pic 2 below, a hose is present - connected to Point C - going somewhere out of shot.

Engine 2.png Engine pic 2

Now sat here in the shade of an abandoned shop, my best diagnosis is that:

1.The Black Box blew hoses of BOTH Point B and Point C in my diagram when the problem occurred yesterday
2. I now have a hose that should be connected to Point B, incorrectly connected via another hose to Point C

Given this, what I now need to work out (assuming this issue is the full extent of my driveability problem), is:

3. Where Point B is. Perhaps I lost a component on the road, but for love nor now money can I find the place where that hose should attach.
4. Where the hose that should be connected to Point C is - and where it connects to

I'll keep you all abreast of updates as I continue to try to solve the problem - just writing this down has helped actually - but once again any and all suggestions gratefully received.

Thanks FUNsters and all the best,
YoungDave

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back