Help needed! Broken down in 35C France... Turbocharger maybe?? (3 Viewers)

OP
OP
YoungDave

YoungDave

Free Member
Jan 14, 2020
Funster No
MH
'95 Hymer B644
Exp
Current van since Feb '20, before that fulltimed in London for 18 months c. 2014
So, I've just had a very prolonged, hands-on and instructional conversation with DP+JAY, who has - with the patience of a saint - really helped wrap my head around everything with the catch can issue.

After investigating further, we've also established that (I think) there is nowhere for the catch can to connect to the air system, which is likely why there was a hose absent all along, and most likely why the sump return hose - the initial hose that kicked all this off - was also loose.

This has probably been the case for some time, I was none the wiser merrily driving away, and for now I think I will leave it that way - just keeping an eye on the oil level as I will lose some in the oil vapour.

This takes away the need to find breather hoses & a catch can - for now. I intend to resolve this, but not immediately for now.

yodeli this just leaves the gasket.

DP+JAY has suggested that simply applying a seal of this will be sufficient if the mechanic is happy to do so, if not we have the list of gaskets as suggested by Pete5996 Broken Link Removed.

Do you think you can check wit the garage:
- A is he happy to apply some gasket sealant instead of replacing it; and if not
- B are any of the linked gaskets correct and if so can they get it fast enough?!

And then maybe the saga will end, or at least go on hold!!

All the best,
YoungDave

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
- A is he happy to apply some gasket sealant instead of replacing it; and if not
- B are any of the linked gaskets correct and if so can they get it fast enough?!

Will do A ok
Still waiting for an answer for B . I sent the pic you sent me via whatsapp and asked which one they assume is the right one and what is it made of

OP
OP
YoungDave

YoungDave

Free Member
Jan 14, 2020
Funster No
MH
'95 Hymer B644
Exp
Current van since Feb '20, before that fulltimed in London for 18 months c. 2014
Figaro yep back on the road. Currently scrambling around the continent running away from corona restrictions, just made it to Italy today after 2 weeks in Switzerland, having had to leave France at short notixe. More problems to fix, but yep I'm mobile.

airwave thanks very much that's really, really helpful. The garage at Dunieres sourced one from a breakers yard and installed. The engine is however leaking worse than it was before, perhaps it could be that O ring from where the old one was replaced. I'll need to keep an eye on it. I understand the top-right hose as you look at it should connect to the air intake system, between the air filter and the turbo, but there is no connection point - at least that I can see. Do you know where yours connects to? Currently I just have that hose off the can to allow the crankcase to breathe (if I've learnt anything!)

Thanks and all the best
YoungDave

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
YoungDave Nice to have news from you Dave. I was about to ask you to give us all an update. I know all up to the moment you left Dunières for good , but.... the other funsters were waiting for a sum up ... I guess!

Funnily I had a text message yesterday from the garage in Dunières. They were asking for news from you!!! Never seen such a concern up to now. Indeed.. we should make a list of places where you can have good help from a mecanic, like this one.

They were on hols up to tonight. Who ever had a text message from an unkown garage in a foreign country, to make sure you are alright???? Not me... never ever!

OP
OP
YoungDave

YoungDave

Free Member
Jan 14, 2020
Funster No
MH
'95 Hymer B644
Exp
Thanks airwave I sincerely appreciate it. And if you manage to find an O ring please let me know where from!!

OP
OP
YoungDave

YoungDave

Free Member
Jan 14, 2020
Funster No
MH
'95 Hymer B644
Exp
YoungDave Nice to have news from you Dave. I was about to ask you to give us all an update. I know all up to the moment you left Dunières for good , but.... the other funsters were waiting for a sum up ... I guess!

Funnily I had a text message yesterday from the garage in Dunières. They were asking for news from you!!! Never seen such a concern up to now. Indeed.. we should make a list of places where you can have good help from a mecanic, like this one.
They were on hols up to tonight. Who ever had a text message from an unkown garage in a foreign country, to make sure you are alright???? Not me... never ever!
So it's been an adventure yodeli - the brakes failed in Switzerland - real calipers needed replacing. Swiss labour is painfully expensive. So nice that they called to check in.

Aside from that, everything is running fine, but I am losing oil fairly rapidly which I something I need to address. But on the list of concerns, my leaking roof is more important!!

Hoping you are keeping well,
Dave

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
O rings are usually easy to source as they are usually a standard size . Available at seals and bearing suppliers .

OP
OP
YoungDave

YoungDave

Free Member
Jan 14, 2020
Funster No
MH
'95 Hymer B644
Exp
airwave thanks very much for that. Yep I definitely don't have that connection on the moulding. Will have to think of a plan b at some point!

Thanks very much RE the O ring - that would be amazing. I'll PM you the address right now!

OP
OP
YoungDave

YoungDave

Free Member
Jan 14, 2020
Funster No
MH
'95 Hymer B644
Exp
O rings are usually easy to source as they are usually a standard size . Available at seals and bearing suppliers .
That's good to know thanks tacr2man

OP
OP
YoungDave

YoungDave

Free Member
Jan 14, 2020
Funster No
MH
'95 Hymer B644
Exp
Thanks airwave hopefully we'll find out!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back