Help——Gross weight plate & PLG on V5 (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Aug 9, 2023
Funster No
MH
cI Cipro
Hi

Recently left a deposit on a motorhome, when viewing it we pointed out to the dealers that the outer weight plate stated 3800kg, however the dealers then took out the V5C and there’s no weight stated on there and it states PLG on it, and that probably been downplated by previous owner.

Now I was hoping this was the case but after contacting Sv tech they have no records of them dealing with this motorhome. They also stated without a plate showing 3500kg been present i shouldn’t be driving it.

I then spoke to DVLA who said they have no records of previous downplates or any weight ever been registered for this motorhome.

Big question is can I drive this with my B license (no C1 entitlement) or what would you suggest I do?

Oct 18, 2021
Mid Devon
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC
Exp
Camping since 1954, MoHo 2022
ItaMotorhomer

(It also means you can drive a traction engine and a lawn mower on the public highway!)

Only if you’re George Jones though! :LOL:

View attachment IMG_1305.webp

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Okay, I've had a shuftie at all of thread and my take on it is:

1. You have agreed to purchase what could be a vehicle that is illegal to use as it's not clear exactly what licence nor taxation category is the correct one, however the dealer has a duty to ensure that he isn't misleading in his advertising so you should be able to cancel the purchase and get your deposit back in full if you want/need to.

2. The weigh discrepancy is something that the dealer MUST sort out prior to you going any further down the purchase road. If you buy it as it is then you'll then be stuck with it regardless of what happens ref the weight as you'll have bought it knowing there is an issue.

3. At present you don't even know if it is actually possible to use it at 3500kg, if not and it has to be over that to be able to give you even a basic payload then you're stuffed and you'll then just have a large garden ornament!

What I suggest you do is get the dealer to record what fuel is in it and have everything else removed ie any accessories/bits that have been left in by a previous owner, remove gas cylinders, empty the water tanks, toilet flush tank (if it has a separate one) etc. Once they've done that they need to take it to a weighbridge and get each axle weighed without anyone in it. Once you have those figures you can compare them to the stated axled capacities and work out if it has sufficient payload for you and your chattels.

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
You may also find local schools are desperate to get occasional minibus drivers with C1's.
With grandfather rites you have a C1, D & D1
But if you take a test you only get that category. SIL council paid for him to take a D1 so he could drive a minibus he is a Mountian leader and takes kids on DOE award trips. He can drive a 5 ton 16 seateminibus but can't drive my 4.5t Motorhome

Last edited:
Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
The Vin plate showing both front and rear axle weights combined= 3850kg. This is the max design weight of those 2 axles as it left the factory
No it isn't.
If you load one axle to it's plated limit the other axle has to be unloaded to make the gross max weight.
IE: gross = 3500kg
Rear axle = 2000kg
Front axle = 1800kg
Load the rear to 2000kg
load the front to 1500kg
Total 3500kg.
Same the other way.
Load the front to 1800kg
Load the rear to 1700kg.
Total 3500kg.

The max axle weights allow for uneven loads but the gross should never be exceeded.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
ItaMotorhomer as I said eairler get the dealer to weigh making sure you know what was in the vehicle
Then calculate what the weight would be with a full fuel tank a driver at 75kg and one gas bottle & 20lt water. The reason for theses figures is that it is way most manufacture use this to give a payload figure.
If you come out with a figure of 3000kg or more it would be very hard to run at 3500kg. Ideally another 200kg soare would make it easier to run at 3500kg.

Upvote 0
May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Malibu Van 640 LE K
Exp
Since 2003
Would that not leave me in the same position I’m now ? V5 stating PLG & not ate to show it is 3500kg?
Have you looked everywhere for another plate? In 2019 my Carthago arrived new but already had 2 plates and I was given a 3rd stick on one in my pack that showed 3500kg to match the PLG registration on the V5C. I could easily have forgotten to stick it on, or put it in some really obscure place, or put it somewhere where it got dislodged. What mattered was that the V5C showed PLG which means that it is registered as a vehicle that can be driven on a B licence. The Police don’t go looking for hidden plates, they just pull the registration details from the DVLA. If you have a B licence you can drive a PLG.

The DVLA/GOV website should show the Revenue weight. Here is the link.
Enter the registration number to get the information.

If the Revenue weight online is greater than 3500 but the V5C shows PLG, then there is a contradiction that the dealer needs to resolve before you buy. If the revenue weight is less than 3500 and the V5C shows PLG then there is no contradiction and the later weight plate is probably either hidden or lost.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
I
Aug 9, 2023
Funster No
MH
cI Cipro
Have you looked everywhere for another plate? In 2019 my Carthago arrived new but already had 2 plates and I was given a 3rd stick on one in my pack that showed 3500kg to match the PLG registration on the V5C. I could easily have forgotten to stick it on, or put it in some really obscure place, or put it somewhere where it got dislodged. What mattered was that the V5C showed PLG which means that it is registered as a vehicle that can be driven on a B licence. The Police don’t go looking for hidden plates, they just pull the registration details from the DVLA. If you have a B licence you can drive a PLG.

The DVLA/GOV website should show the Revenue weight. Here is the link.
Enter the registration number to get the information.

If the Revenue weight online is greater than 3500 but the V5C shows PLG, then there is a contradiction that the dealer needs to resolve before you buy. If the revenue weight is less than 3500 and the V5C shows PLG then there is no contradiction and the later weight plate is probably either hidden or lost.
Morning

That’s what I’m hoping, that we’ve missed to spot another plate. I’ve asked the dealers yesterday to look again and see if they can find it 🤞. That I what Sv Tech has suggested too saying check everywhere before going any further.

Imtge Gov website doesn’t have a weight registered, I also spoke to DVLA yesterday, who states they never had a weight on records for the reg- the website says:
*Revenue weight= not available

The V5 also has no weight records but the class of registration is PLG.

Sv Tech also advised that I’m the even of not finding this 2nd plate showing 3500kg I shouldn’t drive it until sorted.

Upvote 0
Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
You shouldn't be doing anything.

If the dealer wants to sell it to you, they should be doing the chasing, weighing, and re-registering.

But he does need to know the empty weight compared with 3500kg, to establish payload available without taking a C1 test, or it is no use to him and should walk away.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
Have I missed something?

What is the base vehicle?

My 2001 Ducato on the Maxi chassis has the Fiat plate under the bonnet - 3500kg

Upvote 0
Aug 22, 2007
essex
Funster No
MH
2017 sunlight t69s euro6
Exp
since 1999
Would I refuse the van definitely, there are hundreds for sale why buy a problem

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back