Has anyone bought an electric moped for their van? (1 Viewer)

claude et maude

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2018
Kent
Funster No
MH
Hymer B664 CL
Exp
Since 2018
I’ve ordered a Bumblebee Classic GT to go in the garage of our MH, I decided that the 40mph version was a better bet for me. I’m also gambling on battery improvements increasing the range when it eventually needs a replacement. DVLA have been a nightmare so despite ordering in May it’s only now being delivered this week.
150626DD-325F-45B1-94D9-A4980789AFAF.jpeg

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
They seem to be using the generic term “Electric Moped” as a name to distinguish them from electric bikes and electric scooters which don’t need a license, insurance and a number plate. Some of them such as the BMW C-Evolution are serious road vehicles needing a full m/c license.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 23, 2020
Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
Laika Kreos 7009
Exp
Since 2002
If we are talking about motorcycle scooters: we originally bought an electric L1 class SuperSoco Cux. Will carry my wife on the pillion (just!). Does about 30 miles before it needs to be charged up and it only weighs 80Kg. Max speed limited to 30MPH (which is same for all L1 class), which is enough for us. Take the mirrors off and it fits in the A Class MH garage perfectly. And will also fit on the scooter rack on the back. Only downside is the range and that it has a separate charger. But bought a second battery to extend our daily range to 60miles and carry that as a spare in the top box or just leave it ready to swap over. Charges up overnight in the garage.

Then decided that we preferred something a bit bigger, with a bit more range and integrated charger, so got the L1 Vespa Elettrica. Much heavier at 130Kg and a bit bulkier. But rides better and is more comfortable for a pillion passenger. Range is noticeably better at 50 miles and generally feels safer. Its weight makes it harder to get in the garage and on the max when on the rack on the back. But it broke down after 250miles - integrated charger failed and now waiting repair and back to the trusty SuperSoco.

Either works well and both charge up on a regular 13amp socket (in the MH Garage). Both are eligible for EV grants. The SuperSoco has the edge on price, weight and ease, whilst the Vespa just looks better and feels better to ride - oh and gets more smiles!

Oct 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I'm a newbie
Full size scooter, idea for 2

Attachments

• F130B850-9C56-47C3-9F4F-125CDE49359F.jpeg
    F130B850-9C56-47C3-9F4F-125CDE49359F.jpeg
    637.3 KB · Views: 41
  • 85F59E75-45EF-4B2D-B8CB-2E81B16A5888.jpeg
    85F59E75-45EF-4B2D-B8CB-2E81B16A5888.jpeg
    645.2 KB · Views: 43

Peppadog

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 11, 2018
Nr Bath
Funster No
MH
Sunlight C600 pvc
Exp
Since the late 70's
If we are talking about motorcycle scooters: we originally bought an electric L1 class SuperSoco Cux. Will carry my wife on the pillion (just!). Does about 30 miles before it needs to be charged up and it only weighs 80Kg. Max speed limited to 30MPH (which is same for all L1 class), which is enough for us. Take the mirrors off and it fits in the A Class MH garage perfectly. And will also fit on the scooter rack on the back. Only downside is the range and that it has a separate charger. But bought a second battery to extend our daily range to 60miles and carry that as a spare in the top box or just leave it ready to swap over. Charges up overnight in the garage.

Then decided that we preferred something a bit bigger, with a bit more range and integrated charger, so got the L1 Vespa Elettrica. Much heavier at 130Kg and a bit bulkier. But rides better and is more comfortable for a pillion passenger. Range is noticeably better at 50 miles and generally feels safer. Its weight makes it harder to get in the garage and on the max when on the rack on the back. But it broke down after 250miles - integrated charger failed and now waiting repair and back to the trusty SuperSoco.

Either works well and both charge up on a regular 13amp socket (in the MH Garage). Both are eligible for EV grants. The SuperSoco has the edge on price, weight and ease, whilst the Vespa just looks better and feels better to ride - oh and gets more smiles!
The reason we bought the Silence SO1 in the end was because it rode like a bigger bike, had a big enough seat for a pillion, had a good 50 miles plus range and had an easily removable battery, meaning only 110kg on the rack. I charge the battery either in the bike or off and in the garage as the charger is built into the battery housing.

Ray's Scout

Free Member
Jan 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Scout
A 50cc moped can be driven with a car license, makes more sense to me than batteries
or better still a Honda vision 110 , under 100kg , over 120mpg , 8hp , £2200 new
Why have DVLA been a nightmare? How do you go about insurance?
They seem to be using the generic term “Electric Moped” as a name to distinguish them from electric bikes and electric scooters which don’t need a license, insurance and a number plate. Some of them such as the BMW C-Evolution are serious road vehicles needing a full m/c license.
they don’t need a license or insurance because they are illegal hahaha

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
I m still not persuaded by an electric motorbike.
From what I can see the downsides are they are more expensive, have considerably less range, will take up battery charge, have no speed.
The upside being no petrol in the motorhome, cheaper tax, and a feeling of helping the planet.

Anything I am missing ?

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
they don’t need a license or insurance because they are illegal hahaha
Electric bikes are allowed but the pavement scooters are a bit of a grey area. BCP Council (Bournemouth et al) now have an electric scooter scheme which is proving popular with tourists and local youngsters. However they are speed limited like electric bikes and they were talking about limiting them to walking speed in restricted areas such as the sea front promenade, using GPS location.

Last edited:

Peppadog

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 11, 2018
Nr Bath
Funster No
MH
Sunlight C600 pvc
Exp
Since the late 70's
From what I can see the downsides are they are more expensive, have considerably less range, will take up battery charge, have no speed.
The upside being no petrol in the motorhome, cheaper tax, and a feeling of helping the planet.

Anything I am missing ?
For me, it was a close call for the one I bought or a Honda SH125.
Honda: over £1000 cheaper to buy. but then needs tax, servicing and fuel forever more.
Silence SO1: goes as fast as the 125 and accelerates like a 250. No ved (tax), no fuel or oil, nothing really to service except check brakes, tyres etc. Less than £1 to charge every 60 miles.

Peppadog

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 11, 2018
Nr Bath
Funster No
MH
Sunlight C600 pvc
Exp
Since the late 70's
Thanks. I’ll look. Though once we feel able to go to Spain in the winter we will almost certainly take the Plymouth to Santander ferry and bypass France.

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
Slightly off topic but may affect anyone taking a bike into France on their motorhome, this month's Bike magazine (Sept. page 18) has an interesting article by a solicitor saying there may be problems in as much as you may need a carnet which can cost £300.
Having just read it (the HMG site) (basically because i have never heard of a carnet) I can see what the brief is on about if the bike is being carried in the van. However, I m going to relatively happy they wont give a monkeys about it (famous last words)

The bit I am relying on is "You do not need to pay import duty to take your vehicle from Northern Ireland to Great Britain or the EU." (for periods of less than 12 months) so worst case scenario is take it out of the van and ride it over.

Thanks for pointing it out

Michael Rennison

Free Member
Apr 28, 2019
Upton, Newark, Nottinghamshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky Ti 700mx
Exp
Since 2016
How will you lift it onto the bed? Its 95kg! 30 mile range probably means 20 in reality. 30 mph solo and hills up to 30deg, probably means slower two up. Alright in the city perhaps.

I have one of these: https://www.motorcyclenews.com/bike-reviews/silence/s01/2021/ But its a proper scooter and nearly £5000. So comparable with a petrol Honda 125 at £3000-£3500. Its 110kg without the battery, so lives on a rack on the back of my Hymer with the battery in the garage. 60 miles is the honest range. 80 claimed. We use it two up and with a top box on the back. So all helmets and clothing go under the seat or in the box. When you come out of the supermarket and put the gear on, all the shopping goes in. Its working well for us so far.

I tested and studied most bikes available at the time. But there are more now I think.
The Vespa GTS 125 Super was as much money and weighs about the same. 150 mile range and great handling even with 2 up. It needs a Sawico rack and the associated lighting socket - roughly ;£2500 including fitting costs of £800. Unless you don't need an A1 licence then I'd be tempted.

Ray's Scout

Free Member
Jan 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Scout
Electric bikes are allowed but the pavement scooters are a bit of a grey area. BCP Council (Bournemouth et al) now have an electric scooter scheme which is proving popular with tourists and local youngsters. However they are speed limited like electric bikes and they were talking about limiting them to walking speed in restricted areas such as the sea front promenade, using GPS location.
So it should be, why would you want to ride fast in crowded area’s ? It would be a accident waiting to happen .

Ray's Scout

Free Member
Jan 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Scout

Anything I am missing ?
Only FUN haha

Peppadog

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 11, 2018
Nr Bath
Funster No
MH
Sunlight C600 pvc
Exp
Since the late 70's
The Vespa GTS 125 Super was as much money and weighs about the same. 150 mile range and great handling even with 2 up. It needs a Sawico rack and the associated lighting socket - roughly ;£2500 including fitting costs of £800. Unless you don't need an A1 licence then I'd be tempted.
£4700 for the GTS125 is £100 more than a Honda SH125. If I was buying a petrol scooter, I would chose the Honda I think. Though I love the styling and heritage of Vespa.

I have a full motorcycle licence and a Triumph Bonneville in the garage, so this purchase was always about a good ride, long term economy and weight. Its not disappointed so far!!

Edit. £1000 more than the Honda, not £100!

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2021
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Dreamer D68 PVC
Exp
A little
A word of warning, obtain an insurance quote before committing to a purchase. Some of these electric mopeds / scooters are expensive to insure. A friend of mine was going to buy one brand new recently for use with his van and the cheapest insurance quotation he could get was £400. We both ride 1200cc motorcycles and that quote is more than double what we pay for our motorcycles.

Peppadog

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 11, 2018
Nr Bath
Funster No
MH
Sunlight C600 pvc
Exp
Since the late 70's
Some insurers don’t cover electric motorbikes/scooters at all. I am with Lexham. I can’t recall the cost, but below £200. That did use my ncb from my Bonnie though, which has been off the road for a year or two.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Our petrol scooter insurance is about £60 with Carol Nash 👍

Ray's Scout

Free Member
Jan 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Scout
A word of warning, obtain an insurance quote before committing to a purchase. Some of these electric mopeds / scooters are expensive to insure. A friend of mine was going to buy one brand new recently for use with his van and the cheapest insurance quotation he could get was £400. We both ride 1200cc motorcycles and that quote is more than double what we pay for our motorcycles.
i don’t know anybody that will insure E-scooters well not on the road anyway or I would pay it.

Peppadog

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 11, 2018
Nr Bath
Funster No
MH
Sunlight C600 pvc
Exp
Since the late 70's
I am not surprised. They are currently illegal to use on the road unless you pick up a rental unit in town.

However, the discussion is about electric mopeds (50cc equivalents), and the more powerful electric scooters (equivalent to 125cc and above).

Oct 27, 2017
Burntwood, Staffs.
Funster No
MH
2013 Autocruise Accent
Exp
Since 2013
Decision made and arriving today, Knaap 2-seater electric bike. As we have a PVC, one electric bike is far easier to transport added to the fact that my wife cannot ride a bike.

claude et maude

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2018
Kent
Funster No
MH
Hymer B664 CL
Exp
Since 2018
Decision made and arriving today, Knaap 2-seater electric bike. As we have a PVC, one electric bike is far easier to transport added to the fact that my wife cannot ride a bike.
That is great news! My Classic GT is finally arriving tomorrow after waiting 3 months due to delays at DVLA. I can’t wait to whizz about on it and then stuff it in Hymer’s garage for our next trip (We are thinking Lake Annecy although I understand that the scooter may sink).

Oct 27, 2017
Burntwood, Staffs.
Funster No
MH
2013 Autocruise Accent
Exp
Since 2013
That is great news! My Classic GT is finally arriving tomorrow after waiting 3 months due to delays at DVLA. I can’t wait to whizz about on it and then stuff it in Hymer’s garage for our next trip (We are thinking Lake Annecy although I understand that the scooter may sink).
Did your Classic GT arrive ok on Thursday?

claude et maude

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2018
Kent
Funster No
MH
Hymer B664 CL
Exp
Since 2018
Did your Classic GT arrive ok on Thursday?
Ah the continuing saga of the Classic GT….it’s been delayed until Saturday! Well I’ve waited 3 months due to the DVLA so I think I can put up with a couple more days….just!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back