Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
I was on a CL recently and a young man proceeded towards the fresh water tap undoing the cap on his cassette. He was about to pour the contents into the drain below. A quick long sound of the van horn stopped him in his tracks and a yell soon put him in the right direction.

Some people are just hard of thinking, with signs everywhere how can you get it wrong?

He was a bit red faced but soon got the message.

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
I have sorted this job out now, if there is a charge for emptying I just draw up to the grey emptying grid , set it running then empty the cassette in the proper emptying thing which will always open even if you havnt paid then rinse it out with the grey water that is still running out, jobs a good un.(y)(y)
Yeah!

Us too. It keeps the cassette relatively clean between "proper" facilities. It does help if, like us, you have a slow drain on the grey water tank. We almost have time for a s cond holiday waiting for it to empty!;)

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Something to be wary of, to avoid getting a bad name.

I’ve heard many caravanners suggest that ‘all’ motorhomes do it yet they do not realise that even they can dribble when they move off. It’s easy not to notice when it’s behind you.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dare_Devil_Dennis

Free Member
Apr 22, 2017
Derby
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I can top this story...
Many years ago my family and I did a Coach / camping holiday to Costa Dorada. The coach toilet system was full to overflowing by the time we got over the border into Spain. At the first services, the driver stopped and let the bursting passengers off the bus to use the facilities. As he left down the curving on ramp to the autopista, he dropped the contents of the toilet and it's multi-gallon tank on the slip road. Kids watching it out of the back window were nearly throwing up and the stench! OMG! As an ex-biker myself, my first thought was who is going through that lot next?
Oddly enough most of the passengers thought that was a good idea! Never worked that out.
I made a deployable filter for my waste water when I was a caravanner. most sites were happy with that. no fat, food or unpleasant "stuff" out of the filter, just water that went out of the filter under the nearest hedge or into the long grass. There are lots of bugs in the ground to treat any micro unpleasantries and in dry times especially, the grass and hedges appreciate it. I have wondered about using it with the M/H. BTW, the filter medie is grass, easily disposed of and replenished

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Any body know this grey waste dribbler? He emptied some of his grey waste at Aire Sur l'Adore Aire and then proceeded a to drop the remainder along the D932 to outskirts of Aire Sur l'Adore after a visit Lidl.
Waster!!

Did he empty some of the grey waste in to a proper waste drain or straight onto the surface ? We don't know. Could he have inadvertently left the drain tap open since its described as a dribble as opposed to a gush ? We don't know. If someone does recognise the motorhome and or its owner, what would the OP do with that information. On the basis that it is not known if it was intentional or accidental, nothing whatsoever I hope.

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
I too remember those threads but what I intensely dislike now is this attempted public shaming.

I just feel it's such an intrusion of privacy to post pictures of someone's van! And it's normally always done for some perceived minor infringement...

Don't Park within the lines...Bang you're on tinternet.

Happen to leave your waste open...Bang you're on tinternet.

Put your table and chairs out in an aire Bang..you get my drift...

Enough already!

And before the internet they used to be called old wives tales....:LOL:

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
A very good motorhoming friend of mine drove off from a site once having done his chores. I was staggered to see a slight line of grey water coming from his van.

He is the last person in the world who would have done this knowingly. He thought his wife had shut the tap and she thought he had. When I told him, he was beside himself with embarrassment.

I am glad no one posted a picture of their van (with the reg no) on the internet, calling them names.

JJ :cool:

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
Any body know this grey waste dribbler? He emptied some of his grey waste at Aire Sur l'Adore Aire and then proceeded a to drop the remainder along the D932 to outskirts of Aire Sur l'Adore after a visit Lidl.
Waster!!
Can I ask you how many tons of poisonous chemicals your camper chucks out each year.

Yes. All campers throw out tons of poisonous chemicals.

Unless yours is magic.

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
I have been caravanning for 32 years but in 2014 I have"gone over to the dark side"
Most of you seem to be slating the OP for moaning about a fellow motorhomer leaving a trail of gray water on the road - don't you think that we get enough bad press without adding to it by leaving snail trails on the road? - more fodder for the anti motorhome/caravan brigade!!

Oct 29, 2012
essex
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9090df
Exp
20 years (unless you count my dads VW which makes it 52 years with a few gaps!!)
Most of you seem to be slating the OP for moaning about a fellow motorhomer leaving a trail of gray water on the road - don't you think that we get enough bad press without adding to it by leaving snail trails on the road? - more fodder for the anti motorhome/caravan brigade!!
Wrong. I am slating him for posting pictures of someones van on an open forum. if he did it to me it would be more than my grey waste he got!!

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
It's water. Erm, can't think of anything else to add.

pigginchilli

Free Member
May 17, 2015
Town Yetholm
Funster No
MH
low line.
Exp
Waster!!
get a life Oh Please!

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
I made a deployable filter for my waste water when I was a caravanner. most sites were happy with that. no fat, food or unpleasant "stuff" out of the filter, just water that went out of the filter under the nearest hedge or into the long grass. There are lots of bugs in the ground to treat any micro unpleasantries and in dry times especially, the grass and hedges appreciate it. I have wondered about using it with the M/H. BTW, the filter medie is grass, easily disposed of and replenished
When situationally appropriate, I employ a similar technique involving a long, flexible, waste water pipe attachment, with a slightly perforated plastic bag stuffed with grass tied over end of said pipe to act as a filter. The grass and bag then get responsibly desposed of prior to departure, before which I have (hopefully) closed the waste water tap... :)

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
Well,it wasn’t me coz I was emptying mine on to the A14 on our way back from Suffolk at that time........Oh shite,didn’t mean to put that in,where’s the bxxxxy edit button gone.
Only joking folks,honest,Cubs honour.:D(y)

pigginchilli

Free Member
May 17, 2015
Town Yetholm
Funster No
MH
low line.
Exp
being an ex farmer and spread tonnes of shit in my life what is wrong with grey waste? I used to look after 2000 tonnes of human shit which used to self ignite!! Grey waste is NP !

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
Well,it wasn’t me coz I was emptying mine on to the A14 on our way back from Suffolk at that time........Oh shite,didn’t mean to put that in,where’s the bxxxxy edit button gone.
Only joking folks,honest,Cubs honour.:D(y)
That's ok there is sugar beet factory at bury st Edmund so the mud would of soaked it up

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
being an ex farmer and spread tonnes of shit in my life what is wrong with grey waste? I used to look after 2000 tonnes of human shit which used to self ignite!! Grey waste is NP !

Is that where the phrase "shit hot" comes from?

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
We've all done it, empty into bucket and dispose of then when 'empty' forget to close the tap and dribble when we move. Not intentionally but dribble none the less.

:whistle::whistle::mask::mask::doh::doh:
I don't ever forget ............... I never close the waste once the tank is empty and out of use. That's what causes stinky tanks. As a motorcyclist I'm happy that unless the grey waste is in large smelly puddles it has no effect. There are many more seriously slippery things to worry about. I also never put anything greasy down the sink.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Oh how times change!
I've not been on Fun that many years, but I well remember how incensed the general consensus used to be about grey waste being dropped on the roads, filming car windscreens and bikers' face shields, making the road slippery, inhaling the misted scummy water..... :rolleyes:

reel.gif

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Can you get self emptying black tanks so you can get rid of the smelly stuff on the go?

Only in France, obviously

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
I don't ever forget ............... I never close the waste once the tank is empty and out of use. That's what causes stinky tanks. As a motorcyclist I'm happy that unless the grey waste is in large smelly puddles it has no effect. There are many more seriously slippery things to worry about. I also never put anything greasy down the sink.
i don't have a problem with a smelly tank i don't close the valve(y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back