Going for a run in the M/H (1 Viewer)

Nov 19, 2013
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Sold up!
Exp
since 2013
Like many of us on here if we don't use the M/H for 2 or 3 weeks or so we take her out for a run to top up the battery and generally get her warm and the oil circulating which seems to be considered to be a good idea by most.
Not so easy now and I understand not considered to be good for the engine just to sit and idle, so sitting in the storage yard until it warms up not a good idea either.
On one of our earlier motorhomes we left it too long one time and knackered the battery so I am particularly concerned about the battery and then I realised that my tracker reports on the battery voltage constantly and is visible on the app so I can keep an eye on it whilst it sits there waiting for the off and as long as it is not too long the engine, tyres etc should come to no harm.
Is that a plan?

rrusty

Free Member
Dec 4, 2009
Scotland
Funster No
MH
None sold sept 2019
Exp
Used to leave mine ticking over for hours in the winter, with no adverse trouble used to drive it back and forward a few feet a few times no problems.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dan and Jan

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 16, 2017
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Between Vans
Exp
On and off since 2000
Have you thought about a solar panel for topping up the battery? I don’t know the age of your van, but most modern engine oils do not degrade like the “Old” days. Like Jim said as long as the tyres are correctly inflated then you should be ok.
Hopefully an expert will be along shortly. ;) :whistle2:

Aug 7, 2019
Worcester (UK)
Funster No
MH
Autograph 794-T
Exp
I'm a newbie
I too am a firm believer that when MHs (or indeed anything mechanical) are not used / warmed up on a semi-regular basis things start to go wrong. Seals dry out, leaks appear, corrosion sets in etc etc. However a wise old owl once reminded me of the fact that MHs sometimes sit on a dealers forecourt for 6 months or more without any adverse effects.

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
Going for a run in the M/H ?

i can only get around 3 or 4 metres of a run in my motorhome before having to turn around again, are you sure its worth putting your lycra shorts and trainers on for that sort of distance ....

wouldnt you be better of going for jog or bike ride?

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
Like many of us on here if we don't use the M/H for 2 or 3 weeks or so we take her out for a run to top up the battery and generally get her warm and the oil circulating which seems to be considered to be a good idea by most.
Not so easy now and I understand not considered to be good for the engine just to sit and idle, so sitting in the storage yard until it warms up not a good idea either.
On one of our earlier motorhomes we left it too long one time and knackered the battery so I am particularly concerned about the battery and then I realised that my tracker reports on the battery voltage constantly and is visible on the app so I can keep an eye on it whilst it sits there waiting for the off and as long as it is not too long the engine, tyres etc should come to no harm.
Is that a plan?
I'm planning that our next main shopping trip will be in the MH
If that is problematic I am reassured by feedback from funsters that a 3month lay over is OK
I've a 2006 Pug Boxer 2.2L Diesel based MH
I park with one rear wheel chocked front & back with the handbrake off.
Our solar panel is only a small trickle charger 2.4W (I'm embarrassed to write that but tbf it works & I wouldn't have Solar panel envy with out you lot posting about yours :p )

OP
OP
boxtraveller
Nov 19, 2013
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Sold up!
Exp
since 2013
Have you thought about a solar panel for topping up the battery? I don’t know the age of your van, but most modern engine oils do not degrade like the “Old” days. Like Jim said as long as the tyres are correctly inflated then you should be ok.
Hopefully an expert will be along shortly. ;) :whistle2:
Should have said in original post that solar panel seems to be doing its job.

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
When I worked for the local council the diesel gritters/snow ploughs would stand for 8 months unmoved which didn't seem to be a problem, just batteries and tyres kept topped up. The only reason I would want to drive my vehicles would be to polish the rust off the brake discs.
Many military vehicles stand idle for months.

Jun 27, 2019
Grimsby
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Vline B600
Exp
Thank you, Jim, my new van is sitting on my front (hidden from rd) drive and I was hoping tyres/battery would be OK. Got it on EHU as well.
I shall take it for a run as soon as it's officially OK, and meanwhile keep up the security and leave the handbrake off. And have a coffee in it and pretend I'm on a Funster Rally!!
Stay safe everyone,

Oct 20, 2010
Burry Port South Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2003
Our van sits on a pitch in Spain for up to 5/6 months without starting, it is on axle stands, hand brake off, plenty of solar to the vehicle battery. No problems in the past 5 years. The brake discs do corrode on the surface but are generally clean before we even leave the campsite. We have tyre pal system, pressures were on average 3 psi low so just needed topping up a bit.
Cheers
Ed

In a Pickle

Free Member
Oct 9, 2019
Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Knaus Boxlife LHD
Exp
Since 2001
Used to leave mine ticking over for hours in the winter, with no adverse trouble used to drive it back and forward a few feet a few times no problems.
That’s just what the OH has done today!

Mar 16, 2016
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer S520
We generally use ours twice a month even through the winter. Now I've got it jacked up on the hrdraulic levellers so that the tyres are off the ground, solar panels keeping the batteries topped up, a good dose of Gummi fit door seal on all the rubbers and hand break off, I've no qualms in leaving it like that for the next 3 months.

Pete

Apr 6, 2019
Eye, Peterborough, UK
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
FourWinds Windsport 6.8L V10
OLDER diesel engines are okay to tick over and warm up, but more modern DPF (Diesel Particulate Filters) systems will gum up if you repeatedly only run at idle - they expect and need a HOT run to complete the cleaning process. Funny how things change - car salesmen used to say "one little old lady that just drove to the shops twice a week" as a good thing..... That means walk away on a modern car (unless you want to cough up for a DPF and Lambda sensor replacement before you drive it properly). But as said before above - plenty of commercial engines sit doing nothing for many months.

Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
Our van sits on a pitch in Spain for up to 5/6 months without starting, it is on axle stands, hand brake off, plenty of solar to the vehicle battery. No problems in the past 5 years. The brake discs do corrode on the surface but are generally clean before we even leave the campsite. We have tyre pal system, pressures were on average 3 psi low so just needed topping up a bit.
Cheers
Ed
I would have thought (and please correct me if i am wrong) but do Funsters not love Spain so much because of the weather?
Surely it is a total different kettle of fish leaving a vehicle for 5/6 month's in the relatively dry atmosphere that exists in Spain than the damp and humid conditions in good old UK

Oct 20, 2010
Burry Port South Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2003
My response was mainly regarding the OP's question about running his van to charge the vehicle battery, which is probably not necessary if there is another form of charging system, like the solar that he has fitted, and reassuring him that we leave ours for 5/6 months without problem albeit in Spain.
Obviously the winter weather is much better in Spain but don't be fooled by the apparent lack of humidity, during the time we are there the overnight dew is amazing, everything left out is soaking in the morning and consequently the humidity levels are quite high and along with the salt air things do rust incuding our brake discs.
Cheers
Ed

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2012
Funster No
MH
coach
Exp
Motorhome since 2006 (caravanning 38yrs)
You typically need a 20min run to replace the charge taken each time you start an engine. That may not be enough to dry out the exhaust system so you introduce another potential of the system corroding from the inside. Better to leave it standing with a small solar panel to keep the battery charged.

wileyfox

Free Member
Nov 4, 2016
Bristol/Zurgena.
Funster No
MH
hymer 544
Exp
since 2004
I have seen fiatducato vans sat on the dockside in bristol for upto 12 months.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Not good for modern engines to warm up slowly..Wont break it but causes premature engine wear,,Probably no worry if you are not considering keeping the van into high mileage..BUSBY.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
I am in the "normally we try and use it at least once a month" category. This current issue, will IMV lead to a lot of unexpected "breakdowns" for many who are forced to store, especially those whose vehicles are kept on the road (Parked) Or in compounds which they cannot access. "Modern" engines have other issues around DPF`s and Catalytic Converters. And are designed to operate differently to the "old" ways. The old Detroit engines for example could be left at Idle overnight in Extreme Arctic Climes. Modern ones would not cope. Fortunately SWMBO`s "Modern" car is a Lease, so will be become someone else's problem further along.

I have an engine in the garage which has been there since it was removed from the Car (under restoration) in 2015. BUT, it has fresh oil and is "turned" regularly. Hopefully it will be OK?.

BTW My next door neighbour, takes her Land Rover out twice every day. If she did not She could be charged with animal cruelty as she has 3 Horses in Part livery some 4 miles away!. They have to be turned out every morning and back in every evening. She has to do it OR pay a substantial sum for the site owner to do it.

Nasher

Free Member
May 6, 2016
Pontardawe
Funster No
MH
Pug Boxer
Exp
Since 2013
Bloody Hell! - how big is your motorhome that you can go for a run in it? ?

Anyway, you're allowed to go running once a day outside, no need to run in your motorhome, you'll wear the carpet out

rrusty

Free Member
Dec 4, 2009
Scotland
Funster No
MH
None sold sept 2019
Exp
Not good for modern engines to warm up slowly..Wont break it but causes premature engine wear,,Probably no worry if you are not considering keeping the van into high mileage..BUSBY.
Well we all have an opinion, 10 years old 55k on the clock

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Well we all have an opinion, 10 years old 55k on the clock
That's very low mileage,,,Not my opinion,,Mechanics opinion.BUSBY.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back