German on the beach (Is this normal behaviour or is he telling us something) (1 Viewer)

Jul 30, 2017
Romney Marsh (St Mary's Bay)
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Since 2008
Out this morning for the normal walk along the sea wall to clear the pipes. Met a very nice lady who was furious and spitting feathers. She was walking along the sea wall at St Mary's Bay in Kent. At the end of the lane from the A259 (Coast Drive) there is an area that wild campers use and dog walkers park there. Anyway back to the lady. She was walking along the seawall and there was this german trousers round his ankles having a crap on the beach (Remember it is daylight). He then proceeded to partially cover it over with pebbles and walk back to his van as if nothing had happened. I only missed this incident by a minute or two or I would have taken photos.

We have seen lots of small campers with no apparent loo facilities parked up there. Is this normal behaviour for people who wild camp in this area or is it a german thing?

Aug 31, 2016
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2008
Sadly, it may be the way some behave.
We are in Greece this morning while out cycling, came across a FLT site on the beach at Epidaurus, In full view, we watched as a German Motorhome emptied their toilet cassette into the sea, and then rinsed it, without a care as to who was watching.
Should have taken a photo

Camping Gaza

Free Member
May 7, 2016
La Châtre, Centre-Val de Loire France
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Low profile
Exp
Converted a Fiat Ducato PV a while back
I don't think its a German thing. Once I found myself attending a festival at Glastonbury (unfortunately) and was witness to a young lady who decided to squat down in front of about a million people (and me, directly in front) and empty her bladder in the middle of a set by some unwashed spotty youth with a guitar.

She was not German, at least not judging by her plummy very British accent

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
It was my biggest surprise and disappointment in Norway and most of the route there including Germany and Sweden

Having a dog I tended to venture more than a few feet into the grass at lay-by stops, to be greeted by many piles of poo and paper on virtually every stop

Loveshack

Free Member
Feb 16, 2019
Funster No
We have seen lots of small campers with no apparent loo facilities parked up there. Is this normal behaviour for people who wild camp in this area or is it a german thing?
You would think that if this was their normal toilet routine, then they would carry a spade, and bury it.
If you were “wild camping “ in the pure sense, bivvie-bag and leaving nothing, that would be ok. Might be more discreet.

Don’t know what to say about the Glasto example. Dodgy substance?

Jul 4, 2017
Newton Stewart, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Imala 615
Exp
Since 2000
Seeing men relieving themselves in lay-bys, etc is a very common sight everywhere in Europe. Once saw a pile of human poo in a car park (wild camping spot) in Scotland which had a public loo a couple of hundred yards away. Maybe the posters for dog owners should be changed to include human poo?

May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
I don't think its a German thing. Once I found myself attending a festival at Glastonbury (unfortunately) and was witness to a young lady who decided to squat down in front of about a million people (and me, directly in front) and empty her bladder in the middle of a set by some unwashed spotty youth with a guitar.

That's pretty standard behaviour for a festival.

Jan 31, 2016
Alness, Cromarty Firth
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 (2012)
Exp
We were driving in Germany last week saw a woman having a piss, at least we think she was only pissing , on the footpath at the exit to a town.
Honestly we couldn't believe our eyes.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
How long ago is it that , that marathon runner, got down and a piss in a London street and in front of millions of TV viewers.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Out this morning for the normal walk along the sea wall to clear the pipes. Met a very nice lady who was furious and spitting feathers. She was walking along the sea wall at St Mary's Bay in Kent. At the end of the lane from the A259 (Coast Drive) there is an area that wild campers use and dog walkers park there. Anyway back to the lady. She was walking along the seawall and there was this german trousers round his ankles having a crap on the beach (Remember it is daylight). He then proceeded to partially cover it over with pebbles and walk back to his van as if nothing had happened. I only missed this incident by a minute or two or I would have taken photos.

Glad you missed the photo opportunity,, The mind boggles, a Krout having a crap, no thanks.??.BUSBY.

Bluemanc100

Free Member
Aug 13, 2019
Hawarden near Chester
Funster No
MH
Elddis Majestic 155
Exp
MH Novice (but a seasoned veteran driver)

I hope she “shook her lettuce”

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Its not just the inconsiderate "wild camper", regardless of origin, they have little excuse by having the facility in the units, they are just (literaly) taking the piss. Getting even more common to-day, in the UK, the number of "rough sleepers" has increased substantially over the past couple of decades. Lot`s of single blokes, and the odd female living under canvas (and sometimes not) on Drain Banks, even Public Parks. Two guys where living in a Tent on the beach, where I walk the dog. They had been there above the tide line for several weeks, And I understand they are only the "visible" tip of a bigger "Iceberg". There was a report back a week or two of the Guy (labelled "immigrant") who "dropped the lot" in a London High Street in full view of everyone!. As a Scout in the 50`s we where taught to dig latrines and properly backfill them at the end of our camp!. Ditto in my early days of CC Rallies too. So:: "never ask the man with a shovel in the dessert where he`s going"!!

OP
OP
WellWornTraveller
Jul 30, 2017
Romney Marsh (St Mary's Bay)
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Since 2008
Glad you missed the photo opportunity,, The mind boggles, a Krout having a crap, no thanks.??.BUSBY.

busby Had I got the pictures the police and local council would have very quickly been involved. I do not see why one person should ruin a very good wilding spot for everybody else.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
On the other side of the coin what is a wagon driver supposed to do? In some parts of the country there are no public toilets. Those that do exist are too well hidden for a man in 40 tonner to find. Motorways OK but elsewhere?

Same as Hackney cab drivers, front nearside wheel. Most old school truck drivers will also know what a "spreadaxle" is.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
On the other side of the coin what is a wagon driver supposed to do? In some parts of the country there are no public toilets. Those that do exist are too well hidden for a man in 40 tonner to find. Motorways OK but elsewhere?

That`s when you do it "SAS Style". And is what the black bin liner is for!!. It goes in the skip on return to the yard!. (Don`t ask how I know, I`d have to kill you!!).:cool::D2

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Some people shit anywhere so why would they bother about their dog crapping everywhere.. :doh:

Aug 5, 2018
Funster No
MH
a
go to the services, pay his £26 and drop his kids off in a pool rather than on the street!
His employer should be paying the fees anyway if he's tramping!
If his route doesn't take him past any woods or suitable areas to drop his load, he should be putting a porta potty in the cab! More than enough room for one of them in a sleeper cab.
Absolutely no excuse to be shitting on the street (or beach) in 2019.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Fun certainly does love a toilet thread.

What do folk think people did 50 or 60 years ago before public toilets.

In Spain and Portugal I must have seen literally dozens of people walking one after the other in to bushes and sand dunes to crap and that's usually only 1 day so u imagine it happens every single day , quarteria in the Algarve was the most recent one I saw.

It's not the crap that bothers me it's the toilet paper and baby wipes they leave behind them.

Poo is after all a natural bi product and every animal produces it ?

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
No. It isn't normal. Most people who wild camp would find a way of doing it. If they have no toilets then can put a potty liner in a bucket and dispose of the bag in the doggy bins.

Must be honest I have needed a wee when out on a walk and a friend had to keep watch whilst I weed in the bushes. I didn't think I was alone in this.. :(

Camping Gaza

Free Member
May 7, 2016
La Châtre, Centre-Val de Loire France
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Low profile
Exp
Converted a Fiat Ducato PV a while back
No. It isn't normal. Most people who wild camp would find a way of doing it. If they have no toilets then can put a potty liner in a bucket and dispose of the bag in the doggy bins.

Must be honest I have needed a wee when out on a walk and a friend had to keep watch whilst I weed in the bushes. I didn't think I was alone in this.. :(

What about the poor wretch who's job it is to empty the dog bin... what do they think? Oh man the dogs are getting bigger and bigger these days

As an aside my favourite I Spy game in the camper whilst travelling to and from the Port of Dover is to count the bottles of Trucker Tizer one sees on the verges.

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
I guess it’s due to the sheer volume of traffic nowadays but the stench in lay-bys is something else.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back